Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2021 12:29:10 PM EDT
Just what the title says. My larger charcoal grill finally burned out. Ill probably get a weber kettle and something else. So tell me about pellet grills. The good the bad and the ugly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Traeger, but its hard to get a sear on a pellet grill. Mine also has a cold smoker as well. I use pit Boss pellets in mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yoder
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Imo, you need a Weber kettle for your steaks if you like Pittsburg style sear, aka black and blue. Or real blasphemy, a gas grill with a sear burner.

My pellet smoker is Cabelas brand but the directions manual says Pit Boss. It has sliding sear doors which allow a decent sear, but not a Pittsburg sear.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I LOVE my Green Mountain Grill.  I sear on the stove but for everything else it's great.

The WiFi and app together make it pretty much foolproof.  And I'm one heck of a fool when it comes to grills.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
bought a pitt boss for like $300 a bit over a year ago. If it died I would 100% replace it with the same damn thing. It's easy and makes great shit. Can go between like 150-600* depending on what I want to do, and we've done chicken, steaks, burgers, etc. I won't go back to propane and it's easier than charcoal and I think better flavor.

some people claim it's "cheating" but they are dumb. I also sous vide, and will finish the sear on the pitt boss or with a blow torch.  anything that makes perfect results is not cheating
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Traeger from Costco and it has been great for me. As others have stated, not great for searing but I have a Weber kettle and a gas Weber that can do that for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Pellet smokers are the biggest rip-off targeted at the person who wants to load the thing with meat and then go mow the yard.

Get an offset gas/charcoal/stickburner smoker grill that you can actually grill or slow-smoke meat on.  One that you can reverse-sear a sous-vide ribeye or slow-smoke a pork butt on.  You need controllable heat for proper cooking.  If you ain't got sufficient heat, you ain't got char/bark.

You want pellet smoke?  Spend $14 on this.

Pellet smoker tube

Cold-smoking only requires the tube to be far enough away from the food so as not to heat it up too much.  Hot-smoking just requires that you crank up the heat and set the tube somewhere away from the fire.

IMHO, most pellet smokers are a lazy man's gimmick.  Learn to build a low fire and control it via air intake.

And, buy a $14 pellet smoker tube.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]

The point about set it and forget it is completely accurate.  I have better things to do than fuck around with a smoker all day.  

Does my brisket have a bark, yes, and it's damn good.
Does it sear steak - nope.

It's great for what it is.  If you have time to babysit a traditional smoker all day, more power to you.  I have things I'd rather do.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The point about set it and forget it is completely accurate.  I have better things to do than fuck around with a smoker all day.  

Does my brisket have a bark, yes, and it's damn good.
Does it sear steak - nope.

It's great for what it is.  If you have time to babysit a traditional smoker all day, more power to you.  I have things I'd rather do.

View Quote
100% this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Some pellet grills have accessory searing options.

If you already have a gas grill, do a reverse sear.  Bring it up to temp in the smoker and then do a fast sear on gas.  It isn't rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Not blasphemy at all - hell, pellet smoker/grills are winning national BBQ competitions!

The one thing most pellet grills suck at is searing.
Some come with gas side searing stations that alleviate that problem, others like mine have to use another source to get a good sear.
I'm not a fan of the pellet grills that have the so-called searing station inside where you have to remove part of the heat diffuser to allow the uneven pellet pot flame to do the searing.

Other than the searing thing - pellet smoker/grills are great!
For convenience the ones with wifi and phone apps make life easy.

I have three outdoor grills on my back porch - a Weber charcoal, a Weber Genesis natural gas grill plumbed into my house gas line, and currently a Green Mountain Daniel Boone Prime pellet grill.  The pellet smoker/grill gets used 90% of the time and I have been using pellet smoker/grills for the last nine years.

They come in all sizes, shapes, and price ranges (and you usually get what you pay for) - need to know your price range to determine what fits....

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd set my budget in the 1k area.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Easy, but doesnt give me the "smoke" I thought it would. As long as you keep the little bastard shop vacced out good from all the fine dust and burnt pellet powder. you can "set it and forget it..." Every time I do pork butts/shoulders everyone raves about it. All I do is Dillo Dust the hell out of them the night prior, put in the fridge smoke for 6-8hrs and then set it at 225 for about 10-12 hrs. falls off the bone, is easy as hell, very cost-effective for the amount of meat you get and everyone thinks I did something magical.

Synopsis: They work well, with minimal work on your end.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
We replaced our wood smoker last year with a Pit Boss pellet smoker and it's definitely a much better setup.  It makes things sooooo much easier.  It doesn't get nearly as messy as our previous smoker did.  The cleanup on the pellet grill has more steps (we empty the pellets after each use) but overall it's easier and cleaner.  Of course it goes without saying it makes great smoked foods.  I'm fairly new to pellet smokers but I definitely recommend them.  The Pit Boss being the only brand I have experience with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been using a Treager for about a year.  Pro 22
I like it for what it is: easy to use and maintain. Decent smoke once you figure out how to get there.
Just my wife and I, so smaller unit is fine.
No way to sear, but I’ve got a Weber genesis propane that I can finish things off with.
I do a couple of racks of ribs a month, chicken quarters, spatchcock birds, some veggies, etc.
My brother has a Masterbuilt gravity series charcoal smoker that he raves about, and he’s a grillin/ smokin’ fool. He had a Treager for years and sold it when he got this new rig.
I’m currently researching those.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know were the idea came from that you can't sear on a pellet smoker.
I have a Pit Boss 1150 that has a sliding heat deflector plate that exposes the meat to open flame. When open, fire blasts through the slits like a blow torch.
I get a great reverse sear. Much better than I ever got on my charcoal Weber.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Pit Boss 1150 that has a sliding heat deflector plate that exposes the meat to open flame. When open, fire blasts through the slits like a blow torch.
View Quote
Doesn't work very well if you have six steaks and you want them all done at the same time....
I do the initial reverse sear on my pellet smoker then put them all on my gas grill to sear them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Take a look at the Pit Boss Pro Series, either the Pro 850, Pro 1150, or Pro 1600.  They have a slotted grate over the fire pot that you can slide open to get direct flame searing.  

I put almost 10 years on a Green Mountain pellet grill and turned out some seriously good food!
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#22]
at work someone did some ribs, maybe not enough "smoke" was used as they spoilt in 2-3 days.... when i go charcoal etc its good for 2+ WEEKS.  so what are you really doing with that $$ other than enriching some heathen, hahahah.  spirit of Q is $ not $$$$ soooooooooo, depends on your needs/wantws
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve tried traeger and had issues with 2 of them. Recently got a masterbuilt gravity and love it. I can use charcoal or chunks of wood. Plus it gets up to 700 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Doesn't work very well if you have six steaks and you want them all done at the same time....
I do the initial reverse sear on my pellet smoker then put them all on my gas grill to sear them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could do the same, but I would never have the need to sear that many steaks at once.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Pit Boss Pro Series, either the Pro 850, Pro 1150, or Pro 1600.  They have a slotted grate over the fire pot that you can slide open to get direct flame searing.  

I put almost 10 years on a Green Mountain pellet grill and turned out some seriously good food!
View Quote

Pit Boss Pro Series 1150 w/wi-fi here. Smoked two racks of baby back ribs today.
Love it.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I pushed my gas grill out to the curb shortly after getting our green mountain. I’ll sear my steaks on the black stone after they’re done on the smoker.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#27]

I think I will buy once cry once on a Recteq
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top