Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 5:50:54 PM EDT
Early yesterday am I was still half asleep and needed to format a flash drive to put some music on, could not format in Windows 10 as it errored out so I rebooted into Ubuntu 20.04 and fired up Gparted and .....

You guested it.......

I formatted the 1 tb NVMe Windows 10 drive.

So what to do.....

Looking at the files on motherboard driver disk, MSI X570 Gaming Plus, I see some Windows 7 drivers and install files.

I know what to do.

I will need to create a image with some drivers injected so it will see the USB ports and the NVMe drive..

Creating now.

Yes I know Windows 7 is "no longer supported" but I don't care.

It's either going to be MS spying on me guarantied or some hacker IF i'm not careful.

Well the boot flash is done so I need to shut down and unplug the Ubuntu SSD and then reboot to give it a go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That blows. There should be a failsafe against that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the reason I keep a somewhat up to date Macrium drive image of my computers on my network server (which is just a old HP corporate computer). One screw up and I can be back up in 15 minutes with a Macrium boot USB.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the good thing is I back up pretty regularly so I did not lose anything important.

But unfortunately there is no fix for doing something stupid because I was in a rush and not paying attention.

Seems the Windows 7 flash drive with the slip-streamed drivers did not work and did not see the NVMe drive i'll go ahead and try it on a SSD next.

I did try the generic Windows 7 NVMe driver from MS but but it seems not to work on a new pci-e 4.0 drive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Was able to install windows 7 on a spare SSD in an older pc and when it rebooted before it finalized I swapped it into my Ryzen pc.

Booted up and as expected no usb mouse or usb keyboard but I had already plugged a ps2 mouse in the single ps2 plug on the motherboard and was able to use the mouse and onscreen keyboard to boot it to the desktop and install drivers.

I was able to install everything except one "unknown pci device" and clicked update driver and pointed it to the msi driver dvd and it found a driver but complained that it was not signed.

So I installed it anyway and when I went to reboot it got stuck at a "attempting to repair the install" screen.

Never booted after that.

Man it was running sweet!!

I guess the last unknown pci device was the NVMe drive and that was a big mistake trying to force a driver for that.

So now i'm creating a Windows 10 install flash drive and will reinstall that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top