Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 87
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a ton of chicken scratch grains and a ton of rolled corn last week, it was nearly $900 for the two tons.  That’s up about 25% from the bags I bought this spring.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

I am not wanting this to be a crypto thread but let's pretend I am in China right now after they banned it. What can I do with a cold wallet?

And I am genuinely asking, not trolling.
View Quote

Sell for cash
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SCW:
I bought a ton of chicken scratch grains and a ton of rolled corn last week, it was nearly $900 for the two tons.  That’s up about 25% from the bags I bought this spring.
View Quote

Do you raise chickens commercially?

I buy grains by the ton as well but it is for whiskey, I hadn't even thought of scratch grains by the ton.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
To be honest, that sounds delicious. Then again, I'm not Muslim.
View Quote
I make my hamburgers from 75% 80/20 beef and 25% hot sausage, anything else seems bland now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_gregg] [#5]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

I did that with fish one time.  I unplugged the freezer because I needed the outlet and forgot to plug it back in.

Make sure you have a generator to survive a power outage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trails-end:
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
I lost several hundred dollars of meat because someone didn't close the freezer all the way.  I'm pissed.

I did that with fish one time.  I unplugged the freezer because I needed the outlet and forgot to plug it back in.

Make sure you have a generator to survive a power outage.
My parents had a similar experience with a flock of freshly butchered chickens. They bought a brand new chest freezer to put them all in. We had an extra house on the place we lived so they put it there. All said and done we had about 70 fryers put away. About two weeks later the fuse blew on that circuit. No one went into the house regularly so the first indication something was wrong was the smell. The whole mess was ruined new freezer and all. This was in the early 70s.
I have never forgotten that lesson. I was 8 to 10 at the time.
Now I have several freezers in a separate building and each one has one of these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JP39RLP?tag=arfcom00-20

This weekend I had an old freezer go out on me and I got a text and email of the alarm. It didn't have anything important in it, but I had plenty of time to move the ice to another unit. I have three freezers and a fridge in a building I use as a deep pantry.

I have a thread on it here. My pantry build.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Four years ago, I told me (now late) wife that what I had been buying at the grocery store, which had been costing around fifty dollars, was up to seventy five dollars.  Now, just buying for me, what used to be forty to fifty dollars is costing around eighty!  Fifty cent cans of beans and other veggies are now over a dollar.  This is north central AL.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#7]

I buy grains by the ton as well but it is for whiskey, I hadn't even thought of scratch grains by the ton.
View Quote

No, we have about 60 birds and I want to keep at least a years worth of food for them on hand.  To me, food storage is on the hoof, so I try to store enough food for my cows and chickens.  When my fencing is done I’ll also have turkeys and a couple of pigs.

The chicken scratch we keep in metal barrels out of the sun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Awesome, you essentially have a gold mine. Stock it deep.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Not in stock?  If they don't have something you just ask the butcher to go get you some, or you get a raincheck.  But it almost never happens.

Here is today's pickup.  Everything that was on sale had plenty of stock.  We only buy meat when it is on sale, and put it back in the freezer.

Chuck Roast:  $2.99/lb
Ground beef:  $2.49/lb
Chicken Quarters $0.59/lb
Spare ribs $1.77/lb
Breakfast sausages: $2.12/lb

https://i.postimg.cc/26RWN3fs/screenshot-633.png

Awesome, you essentially have a gold mine. Stock it deep.
No kidding. Jealous.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:34:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_gregg] [#9]
Temperature alarm.

For some reason it won't hotlink.

Here is the link cold.

ETA: I can't get anything to work. Look up Yolink temperature sensor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife who does the grocery shopping is paying attention and the prices are giving her fits.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By macman37:

I just hope anyone cooking their burgers medium rare don’t get sick. I’ve never seen them cutting pork in but I will tell the wife to keep an eye out for it now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naamah:
Originally Posted By SBD2:
Ground beef that is 83 / 17 is on sale for $2.99 a Lb. limit 2 per customer

At least around here, when you see a sale like that check close. They're often cutting the beef with pork. They have to mention it on the label, but they're doing so in fine print.

I just hope anyone cooking their burgers medium rare don’t get sick. I’ve never seen them cutting pork in but I will tell the wife to keep an eye out for it now.

You have a better chance of getting sick from eating ground beef at medium rare than you do with the pork mixed in.  Pork is safe from trichinosis around 140 which is medium rare range.  However, E. coli sticks around till about 160.

I love rare steaks, but undercooked ground meat is flirting with stomach issues since it picks up all sorts of nasties from the outside of the meat and mixes it all up during the grinding process.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]

good luck OP. i hope you have a very secure bunker, and a whole lot of friends and bullets.

meanwhile in the real world, a can of beans will be worth 500 million dollars or .00000001 bitcoin.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ManyFacets:

good luck OP. i hope you have a very secure bunker, and a whole lot of friends and bullets.

meanwhile in the real world, a can of beans will be worth 500 million dollars or .00000001 bitcoin.
View Quote

Let me get this straight...

OP starts a thread about rising prices and falling supplies.  This is validated by 50-100 others around the nation while still others recognize they have t seen shortages.

OP is asked about his plans moving forward, he describes them.

Then you sit back and throw rocks at OP when prices are proven to be rising, supply is struggling for some items regionally, the causes are increasing and the effects are just beginning. OP isn’t spending a penny of your money and yet you’ll insult him for trying to best plan for his family, without depending on you or anyone else.

You’ve got all the culture and refinement of a truck stop toilet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

And the deli dept of my local Krogers has reduced their hours due to staffing shortages, couldn't get any yesterday.
View Quote

Same, but Fred Meyer here. Bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bigvic:

You have a better chance of getting sick from eating ground beef at medium rare than you do with the pork mixed in.  Pork is safe from trichinosis around 140 which is medium rare range.  However, E. coli sticks around till about 160.

I love rare steaks, but undercooked ground meat is flirting with stomach issues since it picks up all sorts of nasties from the outside of the meat and mixes it all up during the grinding process.
View Quote

That's why I only do rare burgers if I grind it myself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

I sure hope so, that is a lot of $$$ for bone.
View Quote

I bet half the weight was bone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

That's why I only do rare burgers if I grind it myself.
View Quote

How does that matter?  You have no idea what the outside of whatever your cut of choice has already been exposed to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Temperature alarm.

Here is the link cold.

View Quote

Link worked for me.  I just touched on the link text and Android pulled up the Amazon Shopping link.  2 in my cart now!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bassmaster27:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bassmaster27:
Originally Posted By fxntime:

I sure hope so, that is a lot of $$$ for bone.

That's a $30 bone.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]

OP starts a thread about rising prices and falling supplies.  This is validated by 50-100 others around the nation while still others recognize they have t seen shortages.

Then you sit back and throw rocks at OP when prices are proven to be rising, supply is struggling for some items regionally, the causes are increasing and the effects are just beginning. OP isn’t spending a penny of your money and yet you’ll insult him for trying to best plan for his family, without depending on you or anyone else.

View All Quotes

Don’t bother. This poster is known.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naamah:
Originally Posted By SBD2:
Ground beef that is 83 / 17 is on sale for $2.99 a Lb. limit 2 per customer

At least around here, when you see a sale like that check close. They're often cutting the beef with pork. They have to mention it on the label, but they're doing so in fine print.

Very true, I don't do ground burger anyways but well done. It's one reason you don't want lean meat when you make it, it needs the fat to stay moist.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DeathHates:

View All Quotes

I can't afford to at these prices.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

*snicker*
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Link worked for me.  I just touched on the link text and Android pulled up the Amazon Shopping link.  2 in my cart now!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Temperature alarm.

Here is the link cold.

For some reason it shows up as a fragment every time I post it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

*slow clap*
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Tom Thumb puts t-bones on sale for $5.97/lb next week.  In the early spring they were $4.97/lb on sale, with porterhouse cuts with a huge filet were $5.97/lb.  So I guess there is a little inflation.  We stacked these pretty deep in the freezer but just ran out this week.

Also, pork steaks are $1.77/lb, also fantastic.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Tom Thumb puts t-bones on sale for $5.97/lb next week.  In the early spring they were $4.97/lb on sale, with porterhouse cuts with a huge filet were $5.97/lb.  So I guess there is a little inflation.  We stacked these pretty deep in the freezer but just ran out this week.

Also, pork steaks are $1.77/lb, also fantastic.

https://i.postimg.cc/4NCjDchG/screenshot-639.png
View Quote

17% inflation I believe. But what a steal. I wish we had something like that here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

Plus it is just the wise course of action to have some buffer anyway. If you can make do for a couple weeks or a month you have far more options even if SHTF for longer than your supplies, simply because you have more time to arrange alternative sources. In contrast if you only have a day's food at home then even small disruptions will screw you over.

This was once something that was generally understood because in primitive conditions if you don't prepare for the future you don't get to have a future. But we have had a few generations now of multiple layers of authority (from parents all the way up to the federal government) colluding to ensure the kids were as unprepared for the real world as possible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:
Originally Posted By Possum-Sammich:

Thanks for the report.

This is a strange time.  Everything is "normal", until it's not.  And that "Not" can happen suddenly, once the Karens start texting each other about what they read on social media.  Overnight, there will be shortages and lines and panic.  

It's tempting to say, "My stores are fine--those fuckers on the internet are just dooming again.  Just like they're calling for the stock market to collapse every Monday."  Cool.  You do you.  But watch the signs.  Just because you are good one day doesn't mean tomorrow won't be shitty.  

Something with a capital S is happening.  Prices are spiraling higher.  Just because you can find something with a coupon today, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Plus it is just the wise course of action to have some buffer anyway. If you can make do for a couple weeks or a month you have far more options even if SHTF for longer than your supplies, simply because you have more time to arrange alternative sources. In contrast if you only have a day's food at home then even small disruptions will screw you over.

This was once something that was generally understood because in primitive conditions if you don't prepare for the future you don't get to have a future. But we have had a few generations now of multiple layers of authority (from parents all the way up to the federal government) colluding to ensure the kids were as unprepared for the real world as possible.

the black horse of the apocalypse is inflation.....i  always glossed over that one as it wasnt as "interesting"  sure seems interesting now through lens of the present.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Thunder900:
I predict $6-$10 gallon gasoline next summer with rationing and gas lines, just like the 70's. Some places will have $15+ in CONUS, Hawaii hitting close to $20!  Diseal will be close to $8, higher in CA, and did I mention Hawaii?

This will have an obvious cascade effect on food prices.

Rolling blackouts will also be the norm, so electric cars wont be a solution.
View Quote

And people will still make threads about how bad the other decades were.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
My wife wants to buy another chest freezer...I have enough room right now I could probably squeeze a deer in my current one if I really organized and cooked up older bulky stuff, but I also want to top off our beef supplies while the prices are still normal in my area.

I'm not sure where id put another freezer either

I'm conflicted lol.

Maybe I'll get a pressure cooker and see about jarring meat...freeze dryer would be awesome too but both methods seem like a lot of effort vs just buying canned or freeze dried meats.

ETA: who's got the best deals on freeze dried tvp right now? my wife doesn't like it, but it's good enough for soups or stews in a pinch.

Speed
View Quote

You want a pressure canner, not pressure cooker. Reason being, cookers are to small and result in fast temperature fluctuations, you can still cook with a canner though.

It's actually pretty easy, just time consuming. I raw pack. I put my raw meat in jars and can it.

The parts that take the time is getting it up to temp and letting it vent 10 minutes, put the pressure control jiggle thing on, then it has to get up to pressure.

Then you start your timer, 90 minutes for quarts. Then you turn the heat off and let it *slowly* depressurize. If you try to hurry this step your super heated meat will bubble out of the jar, you may get breakage.

When the pressure is zero loosen the lid. The jars are still super heated so don't remove it yet. After about 10 minutes I crack the lid. Then after about 15 I remove the lid. I snug any loose rings and gently put the jars in a draft free place and don't move them until the next day.

So yeah, it takes a few hours but you don't have to babysit unless you don't have a pressure control that is adjustable. Mine have both a pressure gauge and the jiggler, not all of them do. The jiggler is more important, it controls the pressure so you don't have to fuck with the heat, plus you don't have to worry about the guage being super accurate, I just use the guage as a guide so I know when it's depressurized or getting close to pressure.

I was inspired to pressure can by the outdoor forum here. My mom used to water bath jam and stuff, I think pressure canning is so much easier. You don't get a house full of steam, you don't have hot water slopping everywhere . . .

I also do pea soup and beans sometimes. I don't make fancy stuff like chili because some ingredients get mushy, I prefer to just do the meat and make stroganoff or soup or something.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

You want a pressure canner, not pressure cooker. Reason being, cookers are to small and result in fast temperature fluctuations, you can still cook with a canner though.

It's actually pretty easy, just time consuming. I raw pack. I put my raw meat in jars and can it.

The parts that take the time is getting it up to temp and letting it vent 10 minutes, put the pressure control jiggle thing on, then it has to get up to pressure.

Then you start your timer, 90 minutes for quarts. Then you turn the heat off and let it *slowly* depressurize. If you try to hurry this step your super heated meat will bubble out of the jar, you may get breakage.

When the pressure is zero loosen the lid. The jars are still super heated so don't remove it yet. After about 10 minutes I crack the lid. Then after about 15 I remove the lid. I snug any loose rings and gently put the jars in a draft free place and don't move them until the next day.

So yeah, it takes a few hours but you don't have to babysit unless you don't have a pressure control that is adjustable. Mine have both a pressure gauge and the jiggler, not all of them do. The jiggler is more important, it controls the pressure so you don't have to fuck with the heat, plus you don't have to worry about the guage being super accurate, I just use the guage as a guide so I know when it's depressurized or getting close to pressure.

I was inspired to pressure can by the outdoor forum here. My mom used to water bath jam and stuff, I think pressure canning is so much easier. You don't get a house full of steam, you don't have hot water slopping everywhere . . .

I also do pea soup and beans sometimes. I don't make fancy stuff like chili because some ingredients get mushy, I prefer to just do the meat and make stroganoff or soup or something.
View Quote

^ That….
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

The alarms are cheap, I actually use 2 in mine.  It would be a huge hit if we lost our freezer and didn't know it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
I lost several hundred dollars of meat because someone didn't close the freezer all the way.  I'm pissed.

I put an alarm in mine.

The alarms are cheap, I actually use 2 in mine.  It would be a huge hit if we lost our freezer and didn't know it.

I have wireless sensors that have an external display, you can set an alarm if you want.

You can also get inexpensive stick on latches to ensure your freezer stays closed. Sometimes the temperature differential can make the door pop open.

This is the latch I have

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

View Quote

Yup I canned 7qts of beef sirloin tip last night.

I started cutting the whole sirloin around 830pm. By 945 or so I had the jars filled and started the canner. By the time it came to a boil, vented for 10min, came to pressure, cooked for 90min, and cooled for another 20min I didnt go to bed til 1230...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Harvested my garden and canned 24 pints of red salsa yesterday.  Green salsa up next.  Then apples.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

Yup I canned 7qts of beef sirloin tip last night.

I started cutting the whole sirloin around 830pm. By 945 or so I had the jars filled and started the canner. By the time it came to a boil, vented for 10min, came to pressure, cooked for 90min, and cooled for another 20min I didnt go to bed til 1230...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#39]
We did a roast from our side tonight. This was the first we have tried and…it was great.

Get out there and find a farmer folks. It’s possible you will cheaper find cuts somewhere…though not in my area. But what it does give you is a lot of meat in your freezer. Just as importantly you are helping shore up local grown food supplies.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Picked up a package of bone in chicken breast for $.99 a pound today. Store is fully stocked with pork, beef, fish, and chicken. Hy-Vee south of KC. Swung by Academy while I was out. Lots of ammo on the shelves, 4 9mm Glocks in the case. Cast iron cookware, camping gear, charcoal, spices all over the place. Picked up 20 lbs of lump briquettes to top off my BBQ fuel. Supplies around me are normal, but I’ve seen businesses saying they are short items like catchup packets and plastic spoons.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Hit Home depot, and Sam's today.
Depot had full shelves of caulk, I forgot to look at spray paint.
Sam's had everything in stock. All cuts of steak were priced outrageously,  although I have never liked the prices on steaks there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

why, i do believe you are correct Wyatt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#43]
All of the bacon at Woodmans was over $6/lb. For some reason Burgers Smokehouse ends and pieces was $5.50/2lb. I should have cleaned the shelf off in retrospect.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Layer60] [#44]
We did a roast from our side tonight. This was the first we have tried and…it was great.

Get out there and find a farmer folks. It’s possible you will cheaper find cuts somewhere…though not in my area. But what it does give you is a lot of meat in your freezer. Just as importantly you are helping shore up local grown food supplies.
View Quote

If I was not an existing customer of a local processor, I would probably never be one. Instead, I only have to schedule 2 years in advance.

Everyone should follow the above suggestions by Canoeguy. It may become extremely important.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
Picked up a package of bone in chicken breast for $.99 a pound today. Store is fully stocked with pork, beef, fish, and chicken. Hy-Vee south of KC. Swung by Academy while I was out. Lots of ammo on the shelves, 4 9mm Glocks in the case. Cast iron cookware, camping gear, charcoal, spices all over the place. Picked up 20 lbs of lump briquettes to top off my BBQ fuel. Supplies around me are normal, but I’ve seen businesses saying they are short items like catchup packets and plastic spoons.
View Quote

We seem to be fairing well in MO all things considered.  For now. I'm preparing in case it gets worse.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Big lots was over flowing with shit tickets and paper goods....
Prices going up though.

The 23% of America that isn't jabbed is causing this...well lest what ol Joe says

Paint spray paint,caulking etc. Been hard to find even at my level( work).
GE ( appliance)reps are saying to expect 8 to 10 week delays, and they are producing more product than ever.
Kitchen and bath faucets as well.
But plenty of higher end ones

Logistics train has no crew...that effect is now hitting lots of shelves now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JTX23:

We need containers unloaded not people shining shoes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTX23:
Originally Posted By blackriflefan10:
Easy fix: bust the unions. Put Chick-Fil-A execs in charge of the ports.

We need containers unloaded not people shining shoes.

Have you ever been through a Chik-Fil-A drive through?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

@Canoeguy

Just curious:  What do you do with your spent grain?  Animal feed?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Not necessarily related to food, but an explanation of the supply chain issues with other products.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cargo-delays-are-getting-worse-but-california-ports-still-rest-on-weekends-11632648602?mod=hp_lead_pos1

Cargo Delays Are Getting Worse, but California Ports Still Rest on Weekends
U.S. shipping operations remain clogged as ports, truckers and warehouses can’t find enough workers or agree on 24/7 operations

Thousands of containers are stuck at the port of Los Angeles, a major West Coast gateway for trade.
Photo: Mario Tama/Getty Images
By Costas Paris
and Jennifer Smith
Sept. 26, 2021 5:30 am ET

Nike Inc. doesn’t have enough sneakers to sell for the holidays. Costco Wholesale Corp. is reimposing limits on paper towel purchases. Prices for artificial Christmas trees have jumped 25% this season.

Despite mounting shipping delays and cargo backlogs, the busiest U.S. port complex shuts its gates for hours on most days and remains closed on Sundays. Meanwhile, major ports in Asia and Europe have operated round-the-clock for years.

“With the current work schedule you have two big ports operating at 60%-70% of their capacity,” said Uffe Ostergaard, president of the North America region for German boxship operator Hapag-Lloyd AG . “That’s a huge operational disadvantage.”

The American supply chain has so far failed to adapt to the crush of imports as businesses rush to restock pandemic-depleted inventories. Tens of thousands of containers are stuck at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, Calif., the two West Coast gateways that move more than a quarter of all American imports. More than 60 ships are lined up to dock, with waiting times stretching to three weeks.

Participants in each link in the U.S. chain—shipping lines, port workers, truckers, warehouse operators, railways and retailers—blame others for the imbalances and disagree on whether 24/7 operations will help them catch up. All of them are struggling with a shortage of workers.
Jun-20Oct-20Feb-21Aug-210123456 days

The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are managed separately and operate 13 private container terminals. Long Beach officials said last week they would try operating 24 hours a day from Monday to Thursday. Gene Seroka, executive director of the larger Port of Los Angeles, said his port will step more cautiously, keeping existing hours while waiting for truckers and warehouse operators to extend their hours.

“It has been nearly impossible to get everyone on the same page towards 24/7 operations,” Mr. Seroka said.

Truck drivers often don’t show up at scheduled appointments to pick up boxes at the inundated container yards to make space for the next load to come in, say shipping and port executives. Truckers blame terminal congestion, saying delays at one appointment can cause them to miss the next, and that shipping lines aren’t doing enough to clear out the towers of empty containers taking up space at the docks.

Before any changes this coming week, the longshore routine at the ports involve two shifts: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. An overnight shift of five hours is available, but it is up to 50% more expensive and rarely used, say liner and terminal operators who foot the bill. Cargo pickups on Saturday are also rare, being charged as premium shifts, and there is no work on Sundays.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union, which represents the dockworkers, said its members would work a third shift or on weekends, but the pileup of containers must first be fetched out of the port, so there is space to unload more from ships.

“Congestion won’t be fixed until everyone steps up and does their part,” said Frank Ponce De Leon, a coast committeeman at the ILWU. “The terminal operators have been underutilizing their option to hire us for the third shift,” he said.
Union Pacific, which moves freight from the West Coast, is primarily seeing delays when it hands off cargo to trucks at destinations.
Photo: Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg News

Federal safety regulations limit most commercial truck drivers to 11 hours of driving time in a 14-hour workday. Port truckers often prefer to start early in the morning so they can maximize the number of loads they move a day, said Tom Boyle, chief executive of Quik Pick Express LLC, a trucking and warehousing provider based in Carson, Calif., not far from the port complex.

Night shifts are less popular. Drivers who pick up loads late at night don’t always have a place to put them. Truckers might have to park a box in a drop yard, and then deliver it later when the destination warehouse is open.

“The biggest issue it probably comes down to is labor,” said Mr. Boyle, who said his company, like other fleets, is constantly looking for drivers.

A shortage of labor is also causing significant delays in loading up freight trains, which move up to 30% of all containers to big distribution hubs like Chicago.

Union Pacific Corp. , one of two main railroads moving freight from the West Coast into the country, is primarily seeing delays, or dwell, when it picks up cargo from ports and hands it off to trucks at destinations, Chief Executive Lance Fritz said in a recent interview. “Where we see dwell is on either end,” he said.

Nike executives said Thursday that the amount of time it takes to move a cargo container from Asian factories to North America is now about 80 days, or twice as long as it was before the pandemic. Moving items such as paper towels or furniture within the U.S. is also a challenge, with Costco executives saying it can be difficult to find trucks or drivers on short notice.

“If you work a gate 24/7 it will improve your velocity” only if all participants are involved, said Wim Lagaay, chief executive of APM Terminals North America, which operates a terminal in Los Angeles. “Up to 30% of overall truck appointments are not met because there are not enough trucks, drivers or chassis.”

Port truckers say some appointment slots go unused because of the lack of equipment, such as the chassis needed to haul containers, or because of restrictions on what drivers can do during that appointment, including returning empty containers.

“There is too much congestion from empty containers on terminals,” said Matt Schrap, chief executive of the Harbor Trucking Association, which represents carriers at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The shipping lines aren’t moving the boxes out, “which is preventing us from returning empties that we are storing in our yards,” he said.

‘It’s impossible to effectively move such volumes if we don’t move to 24/7 operations across the supply chain.’
— Mario Cordero, executive director at the Port of Long Beach

With such long delays, some cargo owners are no longer arranging to pick up their boxes. Mr. Seroka, the Los Angeles port director, said they use the containers as mobile storage units because it is cheaper to leave them at a port than to rent warehouse space.

“Even if [warehouses] were open 24/7, there is simply no space,” said Jason Tolliver, an executive at real-estate firm Cushman & Wakefield PLC. About 98% of warehouses in Southern California’s logistics-heavy Inland Empire region are fully occupied, and the entire Western U.S. has a 3.6% vacancy rate.

With scarce warehouse capacity, many truckers leave the boxes outside the facilities along with the chassis. Liner operators say that it normally takes three days to return the chassis to the port, but it now takes eight.

Los Angeles and Long Beach face different challenges than export or transshipment piers in Asia and Europe. Other ports haven’t dealt with such high import volumes over the past year by so many operators while the inland part of the supply chain has stayed largely unchanged.

Overall container volumes at the Port of Los Angeles have grown 30% so far this year over 2020, but Mr. Seroka said trucking capacity has increased by only 8%. The warehouse development is equally challenging, he said, as there is an estimated minimum 25% less storage space than needed.

“It’s impossible to effectively move such volumes if we don’t move to 24/7 operations across the supply chain,” said Mario Cordero, executive director at the Port of Long Beach. “They do it in other parts of the world.”

—Paul Ziobro and Paul Berger contributed to this article.
View Quote

Sooooo basically laziness and incompetence. At least thats what Im gathering from it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
View Quote

Out of curiosity, what were the prices like on all the rest of that stuff - the pork, beef, fish, ammo, etc.? (Not looking for a detailed report here; you’ll see why in a second).

During the heart of the pandemic I noticed all the cheap stuff - the 99¢/lb. pasta, buck-a-jar pasta sauce, and cheaper staples were gone but the $3.50/lb. Pasta and $8/jar sauce were fully stocked. That’s when I knew it was bad but not *that* bad.

The government has artificially depressed the prices of staple items on the consumer price index - chicken, bread, milk, cheese IIRC so those things will generally be “normally” priced while the rest skyrockets.
Page / 87
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top