Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2021 11:59:47 PM EDT
The cheapest paint shop in my area is Maaco and the paint jobs + UV stuff they apply costs $1000, and from what I've read it's not even that durable either compared to factory stock paint. I have this idea though to get a cheaper paint job...

1. Find same car model at junkyard that has a good paint job
2. Take all removable parts(doors, fender, hood) which should only cost $300 total
3. Put said parts into my car
4. Get a cheaper quote from Maaco to repaint roof only to match color of the rest of the car's new junkyard parts

Will this work?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The cheapest paint shop in my area is Maaco and the paint jobs + UV stuff they apply costs $1000, and from what I've read it's not even that durable either compared to factory stock paint. I have this idea though to get a cheaper paint job...

2. Take all removable parts(doors, fender, hood) which should only cost $300 total
4. Get a cheaper quote from Maaco to repaint roof only to match color of the rest of the car's new junkyard parts

Will this work?
View Quote

OP has Top men working on this......

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
is this a parody thread?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
With the cost to blend color match the roof to the sun faded junkyard panels your still going to be about the same cost after buying the parts.

Coat it with truck bed liner. Shopping cart and door dings will be a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a lot of work assuming you can find your color in good shape.

At least only part of the paint job will suck though
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't valve your car enough to pay $1000 to repaint it then just leave it alone..
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If you think you'll be able to find undamaged body panels in a junkyard that are all the same color, well, good luck with that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will this work?
View Quote
'
Sure, start a thread and take pics, it will be fun
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're willing to go through all that work, and won't pay a grand for a shitty paint job either the car is trash, you're poor, you don't value your time, or some combo of the three.

I have a vehicle that's needed a paint job for over a decade. It gets driven just like it is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#9]
1 it will cost way more that 300 for said parts

2 the paint would be in worse shape on these parts the turd is in a junkyard for a reason

3 do you have any idea how hard it is to unwire a half assed modern door?

4 don’t be a bitch. Just rattle bomb the damn thing yourself. Clearly this isn’t going to be a nice car.

5 or eBay paint kit it in your driveway using a disposable harbor freight gun. After you spend a month sanding off the old peeling clear coat.

What kind of fine machine is this?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Will this work?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather rattle can my car before going through all that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Harlequin. Do it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Exterior enamel house paint and a roller - $100, tops!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#14]
We painted our race car with paint from Tractor Supply and a chip brush from Harbor Freight.  It looks great from 100 feet away.

We also did body work with a ball pein hammer and crowbar.  It doesn't look great from 100 feet away, but at least the fender doesn't rub the tire anymore.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exterior enamel house paint and a roller - $100, tops!
View Quote

And take pics.
That will be the fuel of many memes for years....
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And take pics.
That will be the fuel of many memes for years....
View Quote

You would be amazed at how good it comes out.  Pics or not, you would not easily distinguish a decent Rustoleum paint job from factory.  

Compared to MAACO, compared to scavenged parts plus MAACO, I'd take Rustoleum any day.

It's all about prep and finishing, not about how the paint is applied.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The post above is correct, except I can't recommend a cheap Chinese pig bristle brush from Harbor Freight as a good method of applying paint off you care how it looks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top