Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2022 6:53:49 PM EDT
I have a toilet that flushes slow.  I think a niece put a Q-tip or maybe a feminine product down the toilet years ago.

The other toilet, about 8 feet away and separated by a wall flushes fine

I've tried a toilet snake, no joy and I've replaced the fill valve and the flapper

I was wondering if I drained the tank and poured Drain-O or a another product down the flapper hole....would I destroy my toilet or plumbing under the house?

Or maybe cut through the restriction, if there is one?

I'm grabbing at straws yes

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you use an actual auger, or some random snake?

If the auger doesn't work, I just pull the toilet up.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you use an actual auger, or some random snake?

If the auger doesn't work, I just pull the toilet up.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLRpdTFNjNOQleORI9BBNm1wdQtjL_VvAm6k2NGz9nRKXgXaloIxCB3zvb32mP7HVALiMw8Qo3&usqp=CAc
View Quote

Just like that

ETA:  No I'm not going to pull the toilet

This is an old house, I've lived here 32 years.  This toilet has possibly been in place since 1951

The domino effect, this house has it  

I'd rather move

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to avoid Drano. It's safe for pipes....

Not the glue that holds them together.

The surefire way is to pull the toilet.
That way the toilet can be checked.
My Son flushed a toy

And don't worry about the water in the toilet.
A shopvac can remove the water.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Two other thoughts.  Make sure the flapper is timed correctly, if it drops too early you'll get no/partial flush.  Check underneath the flapper, a few times I've found tank tabs obstructing the flow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
To the above, the waste pipes are vintage 1951 cast iron

Flapper valve has been replaced, one of those adjustable jobs and is set on max

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So I ask, to get drain cleaner into the waste pipe, could I pour it into the tank rather than the bowl?

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Dish soap hot water
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one like that when I moved into my home.  Tried snaking it, didn't work.   I eventually lifted it off and took it outside and a plastic squirt gun and multiple necklaces were in the toilet right in the curve of the toilet.  Broke the squirt gun apart and removed the jewelry reset it with a new wax ring good as new.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I ask, to get drain cleaner into the waste pipe, could I pour it into the tank rather than the bowl?

View Quote

why?  Do you suspect an obstruction between the tank and bowl?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I was wondering why fill from the slow 1/16" or whatever line.  Would there be any problem from having a full bore 1/2" feed line?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried a 5 gallon bucket and dumping enough water to not over fill the bowl? I've used this to get stuff flowing right. The extra water and velocity helped. If not they sell those korean toilet bomb.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

why?  Do you suspect an obstruction between the tank and bowl?
View Quote

No I don't think so, I'm looking for a way to get drain cleaner directly into the waste pipe

My idea may not work, that's why i'm asking

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Only one way to fix this and you already said you’re not doing that.

Call agent, list house.  Oh, but you better fix that toilet first.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Muriatic acid

Check it out. No joke
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
How well does it flush when you dump a bucket of water in the bowl?

If it flushes fine using the bucket, then check the siphon valve, rim holes, and tank water level.

If it is slow using the bucket, it is in the trap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If it flushes fine using the bucket, then check the siphon valve, rim holes, and tank water level.

View Quote

I'll try the bucket thing

Tank level is good, and i cleaned out the rim holes.  Siphon valve?  as in flapper valve?  Replaced it Friday and the fill valve

I'm beginning to think Vent

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a toilet that would drain slow and frequently not flush.  Did a million things: toilet auger, pulled it and flushed with garden hose, snaked from the whole in the floor, weekly enzyme cleaning, replaced flapper valve, whole nine yards.  Never a permanent improvement.  Like you, I was beginning to think a vent issue.

Not expecting results, I replaced the toilet anyway.  New one (nothing fancy) works fine.  I busted up the old toilet expecting to find a comb or action figure in the trap, but there was nothing.

I'd try replacing it.  Yeah you may be opening a can of worms, but it's better to get that out in the open anyway.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tank level is good, and i cleaned out the rim holes.  Siphon valve?  as in flapper valve?  Replaced it Friday and the fill valve

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear the blocked vent thing around here a lot.  I've been in plumbing for about 15 years and have never had one, not sure if location factors into that.  99% chance your other toilet would be having the same symptoms if it was a vent issue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Other than what has been discussed, I had a slow toilet recently.  Checked all the obvious things.  Then got in there with a pick and cleaned out all the little holes under the rim, as well as the one in the bottom of the toilet where water comes in.  Almost all of them had what appeared to be calcium built up in them.  Spent less than an hour digging it out, and it works like new again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've tried a toilet snake, no joy and I've replaced the fill valve and the flapper

View Quote

Is the toilet downstream and close to a bathtub and is the bathtub a bit slow?  You might try running an auger down the bathtub cleanout.

mm
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is the toilet downstream and close to a bathtub and is the bathtub a bit slow?  You might try running an auger down the bathtub cleanout.

mm
View Quote

We have a walk in shower, it is approx 6 feet from the toilet, It drains fine

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I had the same problem

Finally, I put a 3/4 PVC coupling on top of the vent

(So I could raise the water level about an inch)

It flushes with authority now.

Try it, ignore the water mark, raise the water level.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hear the blocked vent thing around here a lot.  I've been in plumbing for about 15 years and have never had one, not sure if location factors into that.  99% chance your other toilet would be having the same symptoms if it was a vent issue.
View Quote

this (except add 15 years)
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
the siphon jet is the hole in the in the bottom of the toilet, that pushes water into the entry of the trapway

not all toilets have them, but it can slow the speed at which the water enters the bowl, causing a lazy flush
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had the same problem

Finally, I put a 3/4 PVC coupling on top of the vent overflow tube

(So I could raise the water level about an inch)

It flushes with authority now.

Try it, ignore the water mark, raise the water level.
View Quote

fixed, otherwise all good info
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the siphon jet is the hole in the in the bottom of the toilet, that pushes water into the entry of the trapway

https://external-preview.redd.it/Td-XPGIbboWWrMTz_qfYevjf8Oh3G52qCUcXytUKnFM.jpg?auto=webp&s=8f6ed2dd51a22e766ccab16247588e7d82c7d069

not all toilets have them, but it can slow the speed at which the water enters the bowl, causing a lazy flush
View Quote

Ahhh, yes Mine has it

I cleaned it out today with a stiff wire just to be sure.  It was clear

No change

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I have seen leaves clog a vent before but as others have said, this would cause every fixture that is connected to that vent to drain slow also. (Chances are both toilets use the same vent and possibly the shower).

The only way to clear the vent is to get on the roof and run a snake down the vent.

If that doesn't work, pull the toilet.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have seen leaves clog a vent before but as others have said, this would cause every fixture that is connected to that vent to drain slow also. (Chances are both toilets use the same vent and possibly the shower).

The only way to clear the vent is to get on the roof and run a snake down the vent.

If that doesn't work, pull the toilet.

View Quote

It's a bit warm for roof work today so I'll have to do it early in the morning

To add, the "other" toilet isn't flushing as good as it did.  It's still 5 times better than the one i'm posting about

And I'm not going to pull the toilet, I'll have to call a plumber    $$$

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#29]
did you dump a bucket of water (say 3+ gallons) directly into the bowl?
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#30]
@avidrook

I own a plumbing company, so get to deal with this daily.

When you say flushes slow, what does that mean? Like a lazy flush, where you have to flush twice or three times for it to actually flush?

Does the toilet actually over flow?

If the toilet doesn’t actually over flow, then there is no obstruction and all the acid and augers in the world won’t help.

It sounds to me like sediment has clogged the main jets and rim holes with time.

Most of the time the solution is to just replace the toilet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a similar issue. Best I can tell it's the way the drain pipe was plumbed. It doesn't have much slope and it goes into a T instead of a Y which probably doesn't help.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#32]
It has been a few days

Have you tried the bucket yet?
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It has been a few days

Have you tried the bucket yet?
View Quote

No, I haven't had time

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@avidrook

I own a plumbing company, so get to deal with this daily.

When you say flushes slow, what does that mean? Like a lazy flush, where you have to flush twice or three times for it to actually flush?

Does the toilet actually over flow?

If the toilet doesn’t actually over flow, then there is no obstruction and all the acid and augers in the world won’t help.

It sounds to me like sediment has clogged the main jets and rim holes with time.

Most of the time the solution is to just replace the toilet.
View Quote

No, it doesn't overflow

Lazy flush is it is, it sometimes takes two flushes

Holding the handle down helps most times

There is also some gurgling sounds

I've cleaned the rim holes with a stiff wire, water runs good through them

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just like that

ETA:  No I'm not going to pull the toilet

This is an old house, I've lived here 32 years.  This toilet has possibly been in place since 1951

The domino effect, this house has it  

I'd rather move

View Quote

Pulling a toilet is a 10 minute job, just make sure you have a spare wax ring around.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pulling a toilet is a 10 minute job, just make sure you have a spare wax ring around.
View Quote

THIS.

There is even this thing called YouTube.

If you can change a tire, you can change a toilet.

If snaking didn’t clear it, snake it again.

Pouring chemicals down the drain is a half-ass way of trying to clearing a clog that could have been better-cleared by mechanical action.

Get out the tools, or go buy some. Don’t be lame.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, it doesn't overflow

Lazy flush is it is, it sometimes takes two flushes

Holding the handle down helps most times

There is also some gurgling sounds

I've cleaned the rim holes with a stiff wire, water runs good through them

View Quote

Did you ignore the water level mark, and RAISE the water level (as I mentioned earlier)?
I added a 3/4 pvc coupling to get it about 1.75 to 2.00" higher than the over flow tube.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'll raise you another 15 years.

OP - Dump a bucket of water in it. It'll confirm  whether water getting to the bowl is the problem or the drain. My guess is the S Trap (bowl) has something in it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ahhh, yes Mine has it

I cleaned it out today with a stiff wire just to be sure.  It was clear

No change

View Quote

Was going to recommend this to see if it helped.

My toilet was slow as well and I cleaned that second hole with no initial change. After a few months I went back and stuck my finger in the hole and I could feel something. After screwing with it for several days I finally fished out a small round plastic disk... then it hit me, the float stop disk on the chain in the toilet bowl had come off the chain and had got stuck just short of that hole exit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Never surprised at what gets down a toilet. Dated a girl with a child once. She flushed a diaper down the toilet wrapped in dental floss so it would flush. Which it didn't. It just hung up causing the toilet to flush slow. I had to pull the toilet to get it out. Years ago the peson that hung the wall paper in my bath dropped a box cutter in it and tried to flush it on through. I had to pull the toilet to get it out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No I don't think so, I'm looking for a way to get drain cleaner directly into the waste pipe

My idea may not work, that's why i'm asking

View Quote

If you dump draino into the tank it will then go into the bowl when flushed.
Just pour it in the bowl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top