Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2022 5:31:24 PM EDT
I couldn't figure out why i was getting a water puddle in this area all of a sudden, until i scrapped away the black silicone on the wall and found a pretty decent crack going all the way to the window in the upper left of the photo.

What would be the correct way to fix this? There is a deck right outside this wall, so digging down would be troublesome

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
IF you want to keep what's outside, outside, you'll need to fix the outside!

If you can crawl under the deck, you'll likely be able to remove what is needed to lift the deck off of the footers with the help of a few friends.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IF you want to keep what's outside, outside, you'll need to fix the outside!

If you can crawl under the deck, you'll likely be able to remove what is needed to lift the deck off of the footers with the help of a few friends.
View Quote

I should add the deck has a roof

I am not willing to sacrifice the integrity if the foundation for a deck however.. if it needs to go then so be it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a polyurethane injection rig that I use to inject cracks like that at high pressure. Fills the crack and the void behind it with closed cell foam. But before you spend a ton of money, you can probably lift some deck boards up add some dirt and clean the gutters and it might stop leaking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A forklift with fork extensions and some steel or 4X4's perpendicular across the forks will move a fairly large deck, both out and back in.
Extra large decks can be carefully sawed into sections. Not ideal but better than the alternatives.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Closed cell poly injection will seal that right up,
You could likely do the repair yourself…
Your typical Home Depot cement crack repair stuff
won’t work (or last).

Eg
https://www.radonseal.com/product/easy-peel-diy-crack-repair-kit-urethane

As suggested, also try to improve drainage under deck…
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a raincoat and when's it's raining heavy go outside and check all your gutters, downspouts, and drainage paths. Make sure the water is leaving and not sitting by the house.

I had a similar issue and turns out it was my asphalt paved driveway had shifted on winter and started pushing the water back towards the house during a heavy rain. Of course once I saw water and went outside the rain had quit and I guessed wrong, it wasnt the gutters overflowing, but it was the driveway slope. I took a grinder with a diamond wheel cup and ground a small trench so the water flowed off into the yard about 18 inch away.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a deck with a roof over it on the other side of that crack? If that's true, you need to look at drainage. Unless you're someplace with a really high water table, you shouldn't have water under the roof of your deck.

I repaired a (much smaller) crack in my cement block foundation in my crawlspace with hydraulic cement. It had cracked where the sewer pipe went out and was leaking. That repair has held fine. Way smaller than yours though.

I agree with the others. As much as a PITA as it will be, the right repair is going to involve digging outside.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a deck with a roof over it on the other side of that crack? If that's true, you need to look at drainage. Unless you're someplace with a really high water table, you shouldn't have water under the roof of your deck.

I repaired a (much smaller) crack in my cement block foundation in my crawlspace with hydraulic cement. It had cracked where the sewer pipe went out and was leaking. That repair has held fine. Way smaller than yours though.

I agree with the others. As much as a PITA as it will be, the right repair is going to involve digging outside.
View Quote

There is a downspout on the corner of the house near the crack, i will check it out today and make sure its still attached.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive sealed large foundation cracks with Simpson Strong tie crack pac, although they werent totally below grade. I would fix the source of the leak and properly grade and drain first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ive sealed large foundation cracks with Simpson Strong tie crack pac, although they werent totally below grade. I would fix the source of the leak and properly grade and drain first.
View Quote

@fishstix

I have been looking for that Simpson kit for a while and no one has it in stock local... I found a broken downspout out back and fixed that so we will see what happens when we get a heavy rain again.

I still want to fill it in so it is 100% and I can finish the wall in the basement
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@fishstix

I have been looking for that Simpson kit for a while and no one has it in stock local... I found a broken downspout out back and fixed that so we will see what happens when we get a heavy rain again.

I still want to fill it in so it is 100% and I can finish the wall in the basement
View Quote

Looks like its in stock at Amazon. Thats where I got mine. I ended up having to buy more epoxy and and extra set of poly. Its a pain to prep, seal and epoxy those ports on, etc. The poly will leak out so be sure to seal both sides of crack if you can. Definitely a product that you want to read the instructions thoroughly and have all your supplies and clean up items handy. I took a grinder to the wall on both sides to clean up the excess epoxy and give it a cleaner look after it dried.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
poly injection kit. fixed 5 cracks this way 2 years ago. water now runs to the foundation and in to the tile (fixed)

correct drainage or not, youre still going to have water go down the side of your house. While you should check what others said for excessive water settling there, you still need to fix the crack. its cheap enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top