Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2022 5:55:25 PM EDT
I am a retired Bricklayer, I want to know what makes a Mason a Mason? Can ya'll lay rock, block, brick & stone? My brother in law was a PROUD Mason. I equated this guy with a shady ass car salesman. This is an honest question. Forgive my ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A good poem below on the subject.

If you are truly interested in the fraternity, stop by your local lodge before a meeting and talk to some of the men there. They can answer any questions that you may have. Take care my friend.

When is a man a Mason?

When he can look out over the river, the hills, and the far horizon with a profound sense of his own littleness in the vast scheme of things, and yet have faith, hope, and courage which is the root of every virtue.

When he knows that down in his heart every man is a noble, as vile, as divine, as diabolic, and as lonely as himself, and seeks to know, to forgive, and to love his fellow man.

When he knows how to sympathize with men in their sor- rows, yea, even in their sins knowing that each man fights a hard fight against many odds.

When he has learned how to make friends and to keep them, above all how to keep friends with himself.

When he loves flowers, can hunt birds without a gun, and feels the thrill of an old forgotten joy when he hears the laugh of a little child.

When he can be happy and high-minded amid the meaner drudgeries of life.

When star-crowned trees and the glint on sunlight of flow- ing waters, subdue him like the thought of one much loved and long dead.

When no voice of distress reaches his ears in vain, and no hand seeks his aid without response.

When he finds good in every faith that helps any man to lay hold of divine things and sees majestic meanings in life, whatever the name of that faith may be.

When he can look into a wayside puddle and see some- thing beyond mud, and into the face of the most forlorn fellow mortal and see something beyond sin.

When he knows how to pray, how to love, how to hope.

When he has kept faith with himself, with his fellow man, and with his God; in his hand a sword of evil, in his heart a bit of a song - glad to live, but not afraid to die!

Such a man has found the only real secret of Masonry, and the one which it is trying to give to all the world.

Source:
Rev Joseph Fort Newton
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A "Mason" or "Freemason" in this context is "speculative" in nature as opposed to "operative". We follow the tenants and essence of the ancient Craft, but we do not practice the physical Craft (we don't "build stuff".) Operative masons, on the other hand, practice the physical Craft and actually build stuff. Many operatives have unmatched skills and create amazing things. Allegedly, Speculative Freemasonry grew out of the Operative Masons during the Enlightenment Period of history.

As to your BIL's character, Freemasonry provides the tools that one needs to improve his character. But it is up to the individual to actually use those tools. Sadly, many Freemasons (like members of any other organization (government, educational, religious, etc.) are corrupt and put themselves before others, completely missing its intentions.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 65panhed:
I am a retired Bricklayer, I want to know what makes a Mason a Mason? Can ya'll lay rock, block, brick & stone? My brother in law was a PROUD Mason. I equated this guy with a shady ass car salesman. This is an honest question. Forgive my ignorance.
View Quote

Thank you for asking this question. I too am a bricklayer,stone mason etc. I wanted to ask but felt out of place doing so. Thanks for the clarification to those who responded and look forward to any other input that crosses over from the trade to the lifestyle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 65panhed] [#4]
To Garyindiane & Jim Barr, Thank you for the honest and well explained answers. Upon further reflection of the answers above, I do not believe this individual could pass muster in your organization. Thank ya'll for the clarification. I have learned something! And to Solid...I had the privilege to be taught by some of the finest in Oklahoma!!!!!!! 4.25 yr apprenticeship. I believe I was the last runaway apprentice in BMPIU Oklahoma #1 okc. Maybe the only one ever for that matter.   I was born outta place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 65panhed:
To Garyindiane & Jim Barr, Thank you for the honest and well explained answers. Upon further reflection of the answers above, I do not believe this individual could pass muster in your organization. Thank ya'll for the clarification. I have learned something! And to Solid...I had the privilege to be taught by some of the finest in Oklahoma!!!!!!! 4.25 yr apprenticeship. I believe I was the last runaway apprentice in BMPIU Oklahoma #1 okc. Maybe the only one ever for that matter.   I was born outta place.
View Quote

Thank you friend, feel free to stop by this sub forum with any questions that you may have. We have a lot of good men here that can help with anything you may need.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RogueShot12er:
A good poem below on the subject.

If you are truly interested in the fraternity, stop by your local lodge before a meeting and talk to some of the men there. They can answer any questions that you may have. Take care my friend.

When is a man a Mason?

When he can look out over the river, the hills, and the far horizon with a profound sense of his own littleness in the vast scheme of things, and yet have faith, hope, and courage which is the root of every virtue.

When he knows that down in his heart every man is a noble, as vile, as divine, as diabolic, and as lonely as himself, and seeks to know, to forgive, and to love his fellow man.

When he knows how to sympathize with men in their sor- rows, yea, even in their sins knowing that each man fights a hard fight against many odds.

When he has learned how to make friends and to keep them, above all how to keep friends with himself.

When he loves flowers, can hunt birds without a gun, and feels the thrill of an old forgotten joy when he hears the laugh of a little child.

When he can be happy and high-minded amid the meaner drudgeries of life.

When star-crowned trees and the glint on sunlight of flow- ing waters, subdue him like the thought of one much loved and long dead.

When no voice of distress reaches his ears in vain, and no hand seeks his aid without response.

When he finds good in every faith that helps any man to lay hold of divine things and sees majestic meanings in life, whatever the name of that faith may be.

When he can look into a wayside puddle and see some- thing beyond mud, and into the face of the most forlorn fellow mortal and see something beyond sin.

When he knows how to pray, how to love, how to hope.

When he has kept faith with himself, with his fellow man, and with his God; in his hand a sword of evil, in his heart a bit of a song - glad to live, but not afraid to die!

Such a man has found the only real secret of Masonry, and the one which it is trying to give to all the world.

Source:
Rev Joseph Fort Newton
View Quote

That damned "Like" button is missing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top