[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8 track mutherfuqers!

Nobody needs a goddamn CD or MP3....

8 tracks 4 eva!
View Quote

@32ACP

Here's a few that was in my 68 Chevelle, 40 years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
We had a smoking section

Typing class.. later DOS computing

4H, auto, wood shop classes

Pretty girls

And by today's standards politically incorrect team mascots.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Public school 1979. Trucks in parking lot had rifle racks, but were kept empty. Monday after first hunting season weekend the principal would tour the parking lot, note who had forgotten firearm in rack ( usually for getting home late Sunday night ) and go around to their class at end of day to remind them to leave it home. I think it was more from the concern of theft.

Also had a rifle team at school, and would be handed the keys to the armory in the afternoon to get rifles, ammo and shooting mats. The range faced east and was just beyond the north end zone of the football field.

One of the history teachers was also a civil war re-enactor, and would bring his civil war kit to school and let his students load and shoot his Zouave rifle. Also got to cook and eat hardtack.

Buck knives on a belt was as common as calculator pouches in school.

Designated smoking areas, yes with a parents note.

And 45 cent school lunches. Extra milk was a nickel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Class of '85 in SW OK.  We smoked in school, had a designated smoking area.  Dipped and chewed in class as long as you didn't spit.

Our pickups had gun racks in the back window and most of them had a shotgun or rifle.

We had a welding and metal working class as well as a wood working class.  In wood shop we all made gun cabinets.  Our teacher let us bring in guns and redo the stocks on them.  He taught us how to sand the wood down, steam dents out and oil or stain the stocks and apply wax.
View Quote

Class of 86.  That sounds like my HS in NWGA.  In Junior High I won a Marlin .22 rifle for selling peanuts for FFA.  The teacher gave me my rifle after school and I walked through the school to meet my mother to go home.  Life was simpler then.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My high school is the 10 story orange building on the lower left.
I graduated in 2000.
A lot changed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just change fairfax county to montgomery county md. and it was the same.
Good times graduated same year.
View Quote

Montgomery County, Md in 1980 was a lot whiter than 80%, maybe closer to 90%.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
La Jolla High School, La Jolla, California, class of 1975.

It was a completely different world.  I think I lived in the last gasp of society that was in place after World War II.  Many of my teachers were veterans, as was my dad.

People growing up today have no clue about history.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
OP what school?  I graduated from Lake Braddock in 2001.  It wasn't overtly liberal at that time and definitely not like you described.  The best memories I have are shop class.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Graduated w 45 students.  

The 90’s were awesome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Simpler times in ‘93. Small school in medium sized town. Good times but definitely preferred my college years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I got searched constantly by a security guard. He ended up getting fired.  Also had a SRO(school resource officer) and gang bangers, deputies, and out of all that chaos some order was established.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We shot trap behind the school. The rules that pretty much no one followed were that you took your shotgun into the principal's office for the day, then got it after school.

My friend had a beautiful o/u of some sort. We caught the principal shooting it during 7th period.

My kids think I'm lying when I tell every single part of that story.
View Quote

I believe it. I taught during that time period. Our principal gave one of the seniors his pistol to dispatch a mangy dog on campus. Kids brought deer by the school for us to look at before Homeroom. I remember looking at one guys rifle he shot the buck with while on bus duty. They had a “smoking pit” for students during break and the teachers smoked about anywhere.
Good times and good memories.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]

I'll bet all those chicks had big bush.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm out of touch?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71410/IMG_20201023_134201260_HDR_jpg-1796647.JPG

At the dragstrip most Friday nights.
Yes,I'm a carbed dinosaur, but there.
With my sons.

At the range and hunting with them too.

View Quote

All the stuff you're talking about is still around but  it  moved ,  now its all on facebook,  you have to go on there, sign up and search for groups that organize.

That is how you find these people.  and most of em are young.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
VHS recorder introduced to compete with Beta max.
Viking I and II set down on Mars
The first space-shuttle; Enterprise unveiled by NASA
Jobs and Wozniak formed Apple Computer Company
First Punk Rock song released: New Rose by The Damned

The Outlaw Jose Wales
Rocky

ABBA
Barry Manilow
Paul Simon
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney and Wings
Elton John
Queen

Six million dollar man
Kojak
The Jeffersons
Mash

Fidel Castro "elected"
$2 bill issued
Legionnaires disease

Wood Bracelets
Corduroy suits

Nadia Comaneci
Jimmy Carter

Concorde flights

25" Color tv $599
cb radio $147
New house avg.$ 43k
Avg. income $16k
avg. rent $220
gallon gas .59 cents

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Graduated in 1996 . When I got my License and started driving to school a 12 gauge and 30.06 lived in the back window until I graduated . Hell I used to get on the bus with my shotgun , carry it through the school and put it in my locker for bird hunting after school. Had a welding ,  4h , Auto class . Went through high school with a dip of Copenhagen in my lower lip, most teachers didn't care as long as we didn't spit in the floor . Some would ask us to throw it out . Fridays we could work on stereo systems in auto class and it was also the class of the day  . I guarantee at least 4 cars had coolers in the trunk , with beer in them . Teacher really didn't care as long as we didn't get stupid .
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL, just sat down to watch Tremors...

On VHS!!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
What I remember/class of 90

Gun racks with guns  in the school parking lot
Leaving for lunch
Smoking area outside closed in 88’ I think
Shop class made gun stocks
Pink Floyd
Big hair babes
No news was good news
CB radios
A fresh pack of smokes, $10 in gas, and a little date money was heaven
Teachers who weren’t afraid of being sued
Everyone had guns
Men were men
Smoking in the boys room
Doing homework last minute
Nervous over report cards
That one teacher who was just plain awesome.
Action Movies
Cars

Working at Pizza Hut was a blast! Most fun I’ve ever had at a job and thought $4/hr was sweet...lol

The 80’s. I feel sad for everyone who wasn’t there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Littleton CO, class of 80.

Are you sure we didn’t go to the same school?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#20]
We were...The Wild & Crazy Class of 80.
Steve Martin WAS funny.
Shop teacher hunted with us on Sat.  Let us clean guns in shop class on Monday.
All of the other stuff mentioned above too.

Small rural school.  Most of the guys in my class still keep in touch.
Yep...they are like brothers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Class of '75. Never smoked or did drugs. Too straight and loved academics. Do not miss those days at all in Central OH.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Class of 84 in Oklahoma. Guys carried buck knives in school, dipping copenhagen or skoal meant you were cool while being a pothead marked you as a loser. The parking lot was full of what are now high dollar classic cars and pickups with shotguns in the window racks. You didnt buck up to a teacher or the coaches would arrive shortly to stomp your ass. No leftist indoctrination, a school prayer every morning and most disputes that were bad enough were dealt with off school property as a one on one fight with a handshake afterwards with no one getting jumped by a group. It was a much better world and if it was like that now instead of being leftist indoctrination shitholes, I would have no problem with my homeschooled kids attending a public school.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Class of '80 , Macon, GA.

Stoners, jocks, band fags (me), ROTC, preppies and weirdos.

We had smoke pits, a rifle range, racial tension and everybody just trying to get laid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I grew up in Fairfax County VA in the DC suburbs. It was transitioning from rural small farms to bedroom communities. Pretty wide swing of demographics. I would say about 80% white. Since Virginia was tobacco country, there were student smoking lounges. I think they were technically supposed to be for seniors who might be 18 before they graduated but everyone from freshmen on up used them openly. Before school, during lunch, and between classes they were hives of activity. They were at times open air drug markets. Lots of pot, hash, mushrooms, prescription pills. Acid from time to time. No opiates and coke was just coming around. With all that, academic scores were high, and the sports and service organizations were always very active. There were programs that allowed you to work a part time job and leave school early which is how I got into cars and sheet metal work. Lots of boys openly carried knives on their belts and even had guns in their cars during hunting season. We had a rifle team. Lots of kids drove to school, there was always a constant flow of kids leaving campus all day. There was a lot more truancy, and I think you were allowed 13 unexcused absences. One thing there wasn't is violence, and for the most part everybody just got along. A lot of overlap between the Freaks and the Jocks. Sure there were fistfights, but a stabbing was unheard of.

Fairfax County schools are now a hive of regimented PC bullshit.

When did you graduate, and what was your school like?
View Quote

Class of'82, graduated from Robert E. Lee. Still had a smoking section, it was common to see rifles and shot guns in the back window of pick ups.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Graduated in 1989.

I was a pretty good shot so my football coaches and some of the teachers would give me their truck keys, money, and sign me out of school. I would go to KMART and buy ammo and take their rifle to my house and sight it in for deer season.

North Gwinnett High School.

Could you imagine that in today's pussy beta male & Karen world?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Not many overweight people in that video.  Capital Center, seen lots of Hockey and concerts there.   Brings back memories.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Class of 92. There is only 2 high schools in our county. My school graduated 330 and the other 45. We traded, bought, and sold guns in the parking lot after school. First day of rifle deer season was practically a holiday. Everyone carried a pocket knife. Only remember a few fights and most of the time it was over a girl. I was friends with jocks, geeks, rednecks, stoners, and people with no affiliation to any group. I was the weird guy taking AP biology, AP chemistry, Calculus, AP english, and auto mechanics my senior year.

Also,  I miss big hair and tight Levis.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Supposed to graduate 86, got out half a semester early in fall of 85.  Smoke passes, teachers higher then any of the stoners!  Went to a keg party and my 5th grade teacher was there  .  If you had a beef with any one, it was fists.  Only time I ever saw a knife pulled, 3 dudes took it away from the dumbass and thew it on the roof! Cruising the same cruise routes that was used from the 50's-90's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Class of 1981, from a military prep school. I wanted to go there since I was a kid, and it had and still has excellent academics.

I was MVP of Rifle Team that year. Still have the trophies at home. Wish I had remembered the S/N of the Remington 40X .22 I used, when the CMP got them from the US Army and later sold them. However, I was able to get the M1903A3 drill rifle I used while there, from the CMP in 2010.

Reagan was President, the Space Shuttle was just starting missions, muscle / sports cars were still somewhat common. I had a '72 Charger, a good friend had a '69 Camaro, another good friend had a '74 Fiat Spyder, and a classmate had a '63 Corvette convertible.

Smoking / dipping was allowed outside of class. Drinking was not, but was pretty available on the weekends.

Like many have said, we could carry pocket knives and lighters i our pockets. Sometimes the teachers would bum cigarettes or a light.

My kids graduated HS 30 years later and still couldn't believe what I could do at school that they could not, under threat of arrest.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#30]
1980 grad here.
"80 was the best / *uck the rest"

It was fun stuffing ass-wipes in lockers now called bullying.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

One of my all-time favorite internet videos.

It's like time travel. Brown muscle cars. The freedom is palpable. I can almost smell the tobacco smoke outdoors on a sticky MD summer evening.

Also note that those people are clearly not athletes lol. Almost no fat people and most of those dudes are more fit than many people today who consider themselves "athletic".

For those that have never seen it or - gasp - never got to live through the 80s, here is the full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZuz5Dwtw8
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One of my all-time favorite internet videos.

It's like time travel. Brown muscle cars. The freedom is palpable. I can almost smell the tobacco smoke outdoors on a sticky MD summer evening.

Also note that those people are clearly not athletes lol. Almost no fat people and most of those dudes are more fit than many people today who consider themselves "athletic".

For those that have never seen it or - gasp - never got to live through the 80s, here is the full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZuz5Dwtw8

"Have y'all ever seen Deliverance?"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Graduated in 1984

Gun racks in trucks with rifles in them in student parking lot.

School had a rifle range and rifle team.

Muscle cars. Lots of muscle cars, including at least 2 General Lees

Pretty much every guy carried a pocket knife of some sort.

We weren't pussies like today.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Palo Verde High School, Tucson, AZ.

Class of '66.

everybody was headed for 'Nam...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#34]
1981 South Alabama; just like Dazed and Confused or Fast Times at Ridgemont High with some twists

Miller Pony's for the girls, Busch Beer for the guys
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wet Willie, The Eagles, James Taylor, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, party's at the beach, at the river or whosever house the parents were gone
Football, baseball and school dances
Freaks, Jocks, Geeks, Bandfags etc
Everybody had part time jobs
Guns Knives
But only fistfights, nobody got hurt and we all became freinds win or lose

Life was pretty easy
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I graduated from Fairfax County Public schools in 1987. It was similar to what you describe but not as extreme.  We were very preppy (the school not me, I was a hardcore punk rocker) there where Mercedes in the parking lot with junky trucks. I drove a 1980 Chevette. We had a smoking court in the parking lot. A pocket knife was expected.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Seniors had a smokers garden.  Cigs were okay.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I grew up in Minnesota, and went to high school in the late 70s. In the mornings, before classes started, students would go out on "the hill" behind the school to smoke cigarettes and pot. As the weather got colder, we would move into the entryways at the end of a few long hallways. Eventually, students lined the hallway. You could walk into the main entrance of the school and get knocked over by the smell of pot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Went to HS in Flint, MI. Graduated in 1986.

It was weird because I was in the Magnet program (for smart kids), and the education was top notch. 3 years of HS physics taught by a PhD, 2 years of chemistry, crackerjack calculus teacher, excellent humanities instructor.  I didn't realize how good the education was, or how smart my classmates were until I got to college and saw the real world. It was great from that standpoint.

The flip side was that it was also like a prison. I got "jumped" several times for walking while white, and the were areas you just didn't go. I don't think I ever used the bathroom at Flint Northern.  When I had a regular class that wasn't for the gifted (like driver's ed, gym, etc.) it was shocking how stupid and casually criminal huge swaths of the student body were.

Never got stabbed, so there's that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Classmate of mine brought a Colt .45 to show and tell. In the 5th grade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Old Days are always better, your generation is always better, etc....a 60 y/o guy in 1980 was not so high about you or the current days. His days of youth and his generation was better.  We were just a bunch of little soy boys
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#41]
A high screwl in NorthEast Pa, Class of 83. One of the shop class projects was building a musket from a kit. I drove a 78 LTD. You could fit a lot of people in that car.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@32ACP

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71410/IMG_20210125_181222648_jpg-1796651.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8 track mutherfuqers!

Nobody needs a goddamn CD or MP3....

8 tracks 4 eva!

@32ACP

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71410/IMG_20210125_181222648_jpg-1796651.JPG

@Dave15 excellent taste in music & mode of delivery!

While I was in college, my parent’s house had a small fire—I lost my 8 tracks and was reluctantly forced to buy cassettes, then CDs.

In the words of David Essex: Rock on! Ooo-my soul.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Dave15 excellent taste in music & mode of delivery!

While I was in college, my parent’s house had a small fire—I lost my 8 tracks and was reluctantly forced to buy cassettes, then CDs.

In the words of David Essex: Rock on! Ooo-my soul.
View Quote

LOL, have that single on 45.
Or did!
Always thought the strings in it sounded like pterodactyls: too much Johnny Quest!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not many overweight people in that video.  Capital Center, seen lots of Hockey and concerts there.   Brings back memories.  
View Quote

@7

Speaking of the Cap Center, the LOUDEST concert I have ever been to, and been to plenty, was Molly Hatchet at Cap Center in 1980.

And it's on YouTube.

Jump to Dave Hlubek's over indulgent slide solo at 13:15.

I literally couldn't hear for 3 days.

The "ORIGINAL ERA" MOLLY HATCHET Band LIVE 1980 ... LARGO, MD 11/17/1980
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Same as everybody else mentioned.  In my Northern California high school, it was all whites and latinos.

Everybody had jobs.  Kids got driver's licenses on their 16th birthdays, and there was actually a "driver's ed" class.

No health/sex classes.

Everybody was on the same page.

"SYNTAX ERROR"

With the exception of the black football player, Fast Times at Ridgemont High was exactly right, except we were in the mountains and had to drive an hour to get to a mall.  I was Class of 1985.

Cruising was a thing, and was kind of fantastic, looking back.  The police were relaxed, and seemed to know everybody by name, and were treated with respect.  If you got handled, you earned it.

Criminals smoked weed.  Stoners were losers.  

...and our nerds were cool.  They weren't picked on as much as they were sort of respected, and in some cases celebrated.  Academic success (of which I had none) was a thing, and people liked the A students like they liked the football players.

No gangs, or ethnic squabbles of any kind.  Girls were pretty, vice sexy...Don't know how to explain that.  "Stripper chic" was unheard of.  Lots of dresses and some tight jeans, but for the most part it was just 501s, Izods, and Sperry Top Siders.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Class of ‘81.  Summerville SC just outside of Charleston.  
Guns/knives highly prohibited.
Smoking section for the “heads”
Jocks hung out in Senior Square
Any shop class/trade was about 20 miles up the road in another town, in the same county and district.
I started drinking when we left Voc school and drove back to campus.  Perfect time to put down a couple of Olde English 800’s.
I got my best grades ever in English class by showing up drunk.  I think the teacher knew I was drunk too.  
Assistant football coach was a genuine asshole.  He was also the assistant principal. I said some shit to him one time that would put me behind bars today.  
Our football coach was the winningest coach in football history.  He was my next door neighbor.
One of my friends went on to play in the NFL
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Graduated w 45 students.  

The 90’s were awesome.
View Quote

98, graduating class had 44.  Most of my graduating class is still here in Ky, but a handful live in other countries.

Several of us became business owners, at least one doctor I know of, one commercial pilot, and a couple of ordained ministers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#48]
My high school experience was a lot like the movie Dazed and Confused, only in a much smaller town.  

The cliques, music and choices of "stimulation" all seemed the same as in the movie.

I graduated in 1978.

LC
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Ahh another great security question data mining thread
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Zoomers and millennials are fags

Also, I can't recognize the world around me

Its their fault though, for sucking
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top