Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2020 12:20:01 AM EDT
I retired last summer and I just now got my rating from the VA.  Is there anything else I need to do like enroll or inprocess with them since I'm drawing benefits?  Thanks for any info you can share.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
my rating came back in 3 months after I submitted. I retired one year ago today.

Probably want to contact the VA to inquire about how to see doctors for the injuries you claimed. That is something I have to do still, just been procrastinating.

Now you gotta wait for VA to talk to DFAS and DFAS to reply to VA for your benefits to kick in. The whole CSDP stuff... just make sure you update your banking info on VA.gov for where you want your Disability check to goto.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to your local VA and visit the eligibility office. They will get you enrolled and then you can start exploring other benefits you may seek. They will also get you assigned to a primary care team.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
it will depend on the rating %. I am a VSO if you have any questions, DM me and we can talk
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on retirement!  I retired  1 June 2019 (USAF). I received my VA rating 10 days after retirement.  The first thing I did was go and get my exemption for property taxes.  The exceptions will vary state to state I imagine.  I want to say in FL you just need to be at least 10%  to get a partial exemption of your appraised property value, while if your 100% you pay nothing except Fire Dept fee in my case.

If your 100%, there are more things you qualify for like 1 free yearly car registration, free VA dental for you not family (everything covered except braces), national park passes and kids college is free (instate tuition).

The biggest ones being college and property taxes.

I’m sure I’m missing a lot of other stuff, but those stick out the most for me right now...before having my daily dose of coffee

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Go sign up for health care and get assigned a primary care doctor is the first thing to do.

And as Bubbleheaddiver stated, it depends on your actual rating and what percent it is to determine what you actually qualify for from the VA.

IF you are rated at 100% or even at 70% UI, you do qualify for dental (for yourself) and your children also qualify for Chapter 35 educational benefits.

State level benefits vary by state. Here in Missouri, I get 1 set of disabled vet license plates and free small game and fishing licenses. Unfortunately the Missouri legislature passed a feel good law pertaining to property taxes that does nothing. You have to be paid at 100% to qualify for the tax break but you then will make too much money to then actually qualify for the tax break.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Arkansas here, gotta be 100 % to get the property tax deal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If anyone needs help I am a Veteran Service Officer, retired Navy, 100% DAV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My response would be that unless you're rated at 100%, to file another claim and keep on until you are.  There is a lot of information available on the Interwebz.  Check out VA Claims Insider on YouTube.  I was initially rated at a mere 10%, and I thought that was fair for a long time.  Then I got to reading, and filed another claim  That got me up to 40%.  I filed yet another claim (with supporting documents) and got up to 80%.  I filed an additional claim, also with supporting docs, and am now rated at 100%.

I am NOT necessarily advocating giving money to ANYONE to help you get your disability rating increased.  I didn't pay anyone, although I can see situations where obtaining some Nexus Letters from an MD would be very helpful.  VACI has a lot of free info on YT that you can use.  Spend a few hours watching their vids, and follow their advice.  Support your claims with Buddy Letters and statements by your spouse.  Research medical papers that support your claim.  It does make a difference!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I was maxed out at a straight 70% rating until I was awarded Social Security Disability. The funny thing is Social Security kept denying me until I took all of my military and VA medical records with me to an appeals hearing. It took the judge at least an hour to skim through all of my records. He then called me in and asked a few questions and granted me Social Security Disability. Within 30 days of that decision, I received a letter from the VA changing my disability rating from 70% to 70% UI (100% pay and benefits)
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are 100% I believe there are some monetary amounts available for renovating an existing home or a new built home that will be your primary residence to help with disability access within your home.  This is something I will need to be looking into in the future myself but with Covid this past "year" it has been difficult to talk to anyone at the VA that is knowledgeable on the subject let alone initiate the process or get more information on the subject.

ETA:  Bubbleheaddiver are you familiar with the above?
View Quote

It all depends on what your disabilities are. And you will actually have to have a referral from your primary care doctor to see the Vocational Rehabilitation office. It is the Voc. Rehab office that will determine what you qualify for. At least that is how it worked in 2010.

I have arthritis and fibromyalgia along with messing up my knees while in the Army. The VA installed hand rails in my shower/tub along with hand rails on my few steps from the breezeway into the kitchen. I also received a battery powered lift chair for the tub too. You have to be well chair bound before they will install a walk-in tub.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If anyone needs help I am a Veteran Service Officer, retired Navy, 100% DAV.
View Quote

Are DAV service officers back at work? I’m a VSO with Texas Veterans Commission and we have been getting all the non-profit clients. San Antonio area DAV, AmVets, VFW etc has been MIA since COVID hit. My work load went up tremendously.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
A few things to think about.

Veteran’s are their own worst enemy and spread rumors that simply aren’t true in their circles.

Here are a few examples:

your spouse WILL NOT continue to get your VA compensation after you die. She will have to apply for what’s called DIC or Survivor’s pension and those monetary amounts are nowhere near your service connected benefits

It is against the law for any one to take money for filing an initial claim. Where lawyers make their money is on appeals/BVA hearings. any VSO worth their weight can do the same thing for free.

Someone mentioned paying for a nexus letter, the VA has really cracked down on this. the VA started noticing that the veteran was in Bumfuck Alaska and the doctor who wrote the letter was in Key West, Florida and therefore never even seen the veteran. If you are going to do this, at least find a doc more local to you.

Last thing, save yourself some time and energy by not just submitting frivolous claims. Be prepared and have a good claim ready before submission. This could take time to get but luckily the VA created what is called an “intent to file” to save your claim date.

What makes a good claim?

1. Having a current diagnosis.
2. Having an an annotated in service event (if not annotated in STRs sometimes buddy letters help)
3. A clear connection between the two.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A few things to think about.

Veteran's are their own worst enemy and spread rumors that simply aren't true in their circles.

Here are a few examples:

your spouse WILL NOT continue to get your VA compensation after you die. She will have to apply for what's called DIC or Survivor's pension and those monetary amounts are nowhere near your service connected benefits

It is against the law for any one to take money for filing an initial claim. Where lawyers make their money is on appeals/BVA hearings. any VSO worth their weight can do the same thing for free.

Someone mentioned paying for a nexus letter, the VA has really cracked down on this. the VA started noticing that the veteran was in Bumfuck Alaska and the doctor who wrote the letter was in Key West, Florida and therefore never even seen the veteran. If you are going to do this, at least find a doc more local to you.

Last thing, save yourself some time and energy by not just submitting frivolous claims. Be prepared and have a good claim ready before submission. This could take time to get but luckily the VA created what is called an "intent to file" to save your claim date.

What makes a good claim?

1. Having a current diagnosis.
2. Having an an annotated in service event (if not annotated in STRs sometimes buddy letters help)
3. A clear connection between the two.

View Quote
Spot on!

I had DAV represent me each and every time I needed to have my rating adjusted. I never spent a dime to have someone help me. Yes it did take years of fighting with the VA to get where I am at now. But it will take the same amount of time no matter if you have a VSO help you or you hire a lawyer.

And you must apply for every benefit you are eligible for. The same goes for surviving spouses or children applying for Chapter 35 dependent education benefits.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Feel free to IM me and we can set up a phone call. Happy to help anyone anywhere
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go sign up for health care and get assigned a primary care doctor is the first thing to do.

And as Bubbleheaddiver stated, it depends on your actual rating and what percent it is to determine what you actually qualify for from the VA.

IF you are rated at 100% or even at 70% UI, you do qualify for dental (for yourself) and your children also qualify for Chapter 35 educational benefits.

State level benefits vary by state. Here in Missouri, I get 1 set of disabled vet license plates and free small game and fishing licenses. Unfortunately the Missouri legislature passed a feel good law pertaining to property taxes that does nothing. You have to be paid at 100% to qualify for the tax break but you then will make too much money to then actually qualify for the tax break.
View Quote

Does Missouri require you to disclose VA comp when you file your taxes?
It's supposed to be exempted from all reporting. That's why you don't get a 1099 for it.

Oh.. and since PedoJoe and the BJ Queen are likely to reinstitute the individual mandate for Obozocare, having VA medical (depending on your rating) covers the healthcare requirements.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Does Missouri require you to disclose VA comp when you file your taxes?
It's supposed to be exempted from all reporting. That's why you don't get a 1099 for it.

Oh.. and since PedoJoe and the BJ Queen are likely to reinstitute the individual mandate for Obozocare, having VA medical (depending on your rating) covers the healthcare requirements.
View Quote
Missouri does not require me to report VA disability compensation when filing taxes. I haven't even filed taxes since 2006 since I don't make enough on Social Security Disability. I don't make enough on SSD to have to file.

Missouri is a bit strange though, They do require you to report any money received from the VA when applying for state assistance of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Missouri does not require me to report VA disability compensation when filing taxes. I haven't even filed taxes since 2006 since I don't make enough on Social Security Disability. I don't make enough on SSD to have to file.

Missouri is a bit strange though, They do require you to report any money received from the VA when applying for state assistance of any kind.
View Quote

Fl also requires it (and alimony/child support) if you apply for state assistance, but they don't require it for property tax deductions. If you are a vet you get a homestead exemption of 15% IIRC. If you are 100% it's a lot higher, and not income based.

I haven't filed since 2011 for the same reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top