Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2019 11:05:10 AM EDT
I’ve wanted to do a ramen for quite some time. Bought these noodles and had them sitting around. I was saving them for like a spicy beef something or other but never got around to it.

So here I sit on beer 13 and started thinking about what I had in the fridge. I had some leftover spicy chicken thighs , some bacon, and a case of chicken broth I’d bought at Costco and went for it.

Chicken broth, soy sauce, a little water, salt and pepper, ginger, garlic, red pepper and a little cayenne. Fish sauce and a touch of rice vinegar.For the vegetables I had some sweet onion, baby carrots, shiitake mushrooms and green onion. Added a little basil and paprika with a boiled egg.

I sautéed the onion, garlic, and ginger in the bacon grease before adding it to the soup. The carrot was boiled with the broth. I also used the grease to reheat the chicken. The mushroom soaked up the broth and were nice and spicy.

It may not win any Beauty contest but it was fucking delicious. I figured if it sucked id just pitch it but I ended up eating every single bite.

I was slappin noodles all over my face, slurping broth and jabbing myself in the nose with chopsticks drunk as fuck watching John wick 3 on my couch in a wife beater. Then passed out about the 16 beer mark.

I haven’t had a baby free night in a long time and I think I made good use of it.

If anyone knows a kickass, much more authentic beef recipe feel free to share it. I’m hooked now.

UPDATE; so I wanted to try a beef dish. But didn’t really find any recipes that jumped out at me. So I decided to go with a lower broth style using the old Mongolian beef recipie I’ve done many times.

The broth was chicken stock, tamarind, soy, ginger , fish sauce, and garlic with a little cooking sherry (I was out of rice wine vinegar)

The beef was center cut sirloin with the Chang’s copycat Mongolian recipe.

I add shallots, carrot, portobello mushroom, and some roasted red pepper. Garnished with green onion and sesame.

It was quite tasty. Not authentic to any mark. But a yummy noodle dish nonetheless.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn my ramen meals are basic as fuck compared to that

I cant wait to not eat ramen one day
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been doing ramen wrong.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
That looks really good!  My last ramen meal was diced up precooked Johnsonville chili cheese brats in with Top Ramen noodles for lunch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
OP that’s perfect but your egg yolk should be a little less done and we would be looking at perfection here.

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
yum
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Ate at a new Cuban/Caribbean restaurant in Mammoth and noticed how prevalent a hard boiled egg was in their dishes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP that’s perfect but your egg yolk should be a little less done and we would be looking at perfection here.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good. I made this over the weekend. A little too much beef broth, but damn it was good.

Attachment Attached File

Then when I went to reheat the leftovers in the microwave the next day, the fucking coffee cup exploded in the microwave.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
BULLSHIT!

That meal is way too pretty and well assembled to have been made by a drunk man.

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
The egg is a matter of muscle memory. I’ve been making deviled eggs for 20 years and 13 minutes is perfect for what I need.

I’ve seen ramen and pho with soft boiled, fried, and raw. I may try fried next time. Not sure
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks good. I made this over the weekend. A little too much beef broth, but damn it was good.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122546/a1_jpg-1093258.JPG

Then when I went to reheat the leftovers in the microwave the next day, the fucking coffee cup exploded in the microwave.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122546/a2_jpg-1093259.JPG
View Quote
Holy shit

That’s badass
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BULLSHIT!

That meal is way too pretty and well assembled to have been made by a drunk man.

View Quote
I’m a little too good at drinking
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice job.  Hell I feel fancy throwing some a bit of shredded cabbage and an egg in a bowl of this, but you're on a whole other level.

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#16]
My version of drunk ramen
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice job.  Hell I feel fancy throwing some a bit of shredded cabbage and an egg in a bowl of this, but you're on a whole other level.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81VC5H67DLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
Shin Black is the shit, closest I’ve come to that ramen shop “liquid porkchop” tonkotsu broth in an instant.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Fancy.
My drunk ramen involves diced ham, a handful of Frozen mixed vegetables, Sriracha and soy sauce.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My version of drunk ramen
https://i.redd.it/cd9r2e2x81r11.jpg
View Quote
I have so many questions
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, Krashdog, this some serious gourmet shit!
Me and Vincent would have satisfied with some Maruchan microwave ramen, and he springs this serious gourmet shit on us. What flavor is this?
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Got this in Tokyo.  Not really a fan of ramen but it was ok but I hate chop sticks
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks good op. I enjoy ur cooking threads
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#23]
What kind of beers?

Well done, sir. I really enjoyed this brief-for-now thread. I was having a shitty day and now I feel better.

As a father of four, I look forward to a night like this myself.

Best,

Amos

ETA: boudda pop my four-digit cherry. I hear it hurts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331393/20190809_193025_jpg-1093275.JPG

Got this in Tokyo.  Not really a fan of ramen but it was ok but I hate chop sticks
View Quote
I spent six weeks in China as a teenager and really grew to like chop sticks. For the way they eat it works great. Pick up the small items, scoop the noodles, sip the broth. It’s not an exercise in being authentic or hipster. It just really works better.

You stab a dumpling with a fork it’s going to break apart. Use the sticks . That’s what their for. Plus the Ching Chong store sells them for 99 cents so I have plenty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What kind of beers?

Well done, sir. I really enjoyed this brief-for-now thread. I was having a shitty day and now I feel better.

As a father of four, I look forward to a night like this myself.

Best,

Amos

ETA: boudda pop my four-digit cherry. I hear it hurts.
View Quote
Miller lite when I’m knocking them back. Gotta stay hydrated

Don’t waste 1k on me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Switch it up once in awhile.   Buy cheap canned clams.  Make linguini in a white clam sauce.

Cook pasta.

Warm pan with olive oil.

Cook three to five garlic cloves, chopped.  Add a pinch of crushed red pepper.  
Open cans of clams, the little tuna can size is I think 6.5 oz, from Snows.  Pour just the liquid into the pan and reduce it by half.  That is very important.  That’s were your intense clam flavor comes from.  
Add in a fist full of parsley, a pinch of thyme or oregano, some pepper, white if you have it.  Add in 2-3 tbsp of butter. Taste the broth to make sure you have enough salt from the clam juice.   You should, if not add some salt to taste.  Toss in the clams now.  Toss in shrimp too if you have them.  When the clams are hot and your shrimp is nearly cooked add your drained dry on the surface pasta to the sauce.   Stir it well to coat pasta.

Let it sit for five to ten minutes to let the juices meld into the pasta.

Plate, sprinkle with more fresh parsley  if you have it and Parmesan cheese if you like.

That was dinner last night.

Two cans of clams at a $1.29 on sale- $2.58
A quarter of a box of pasta, $0.40
Spices, seasonings, oil and butter? Less than a buck from on hand stuff.  Call it $.50

So a scrumptious meal for $3.50.

Kicking up some notches you can add white wine to your sauce before reduction and a fistful of shrimp.

I added shrimp last night to mine.   Loved it.   Did not taste like I was a poor college kid again living on ramen and broccoli.   Btdt.

OP you inspire me.

I might make a Korean version as I want to use up some kimchee that is getting strong.   It’s at least four months cured. I usually eat it faster.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
BULLSHIT!

View Quote
yeah that doesn't look like a 13-beer meal, unless those 13 beers were Coors Light.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Plus the Ching Chong store sells them for 99 cents so I have plenty.
View Quote
...also dude, Ching Chong store is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian market, please.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's a few from my trip to Vietnam this year.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This one was special (Home made) and my absolute favorite :

Bún bò Hu?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Local place makes great ramen.

I've wanted to try making some on my own, I'll use your 13 beers as a benchmark to set myself up for success.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#31]
my version of drunk ramen usually involves dunking the hard noodle puck into a mug of hot tap water like an oreo and milk.  Bonus points if I remember to sprinkle a little of the flavor packet on it before each bite.

I am a low class drunk apparently
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#33]
God, that looks delicious. I love ramen!
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...also dude, Ching Chong store is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian market, please.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s kind of a running joke with the store owners. There’s a few in town. The Filipeno shop is actually pretty hostile. But the Chinese family that owns the one I go too are always joking around. It’s behind a high end grocer so they get flooded with soccer mom Karen types that want real high quality Asian food but get wigged out when they see what it actually looks like.

Sorry Karen, no sweet and sour chicken here. Now what type of dried squid do you want?
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have so many questions
View Quote
I'm just kidding. My friend was the one who would get drunk, put ramens on the stove, and fall asleep. Wake up to a house full of fucking smoke, I cant even tell you how many fucking pots he ruined.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn, drunk OP, you got skills
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Ramen Dukbokki is best ramen.

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks good OP! I need to up my ramen game!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Sum ting wite!
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
BULLSHIT!

View Quote
Seriously, not sure if I could do that sober, lol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Mr. Fancy Pants

Why don't you just settle for jailrito's like the rest of us  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t get dolling up of food. It is there to give me energy/ stave off starvation. It just has to be edible.

Shit does look good though!
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm half Korean and got a laugh out of it.

Nicely done, OP!  I make Korean Ramen frequently, but have never cooked something that appetizing. That's something mom would make.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#46]
This one wasn't terribly fancy, but it tasted good.  Ramen with shrimp in a lobster broth.  for this one the egg is poached in the broth.

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Every picture in this thread is gold.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Switch it up once in awhile.   Buy cheap canned clams.  Make linguini in a white clam sauce.

Cook pasta.

Warm pan with olive oil.

Cook three to five garlic cloves, chopped.  Add a pinch of crushed red pepper.  
Open cans of clams, the little tuna can size is I think 6.5 oz, from Snows.  Pour just the liquid into the pan and reduce it by half.  That is very important.  That’s were your intense clam flavor comes from.  
Add in a fist full of parsley, a pinch of thyme or oregano, some pepper, white if you have it.  Add in 2-3 tbsp of butter. Taste the broth to make sure you have enough salt from the clam juice.   You should, if not add some salt to taste.  Toss in the clams now.  Toss in shrimp too if you have them.  When the clams are hot and your shrimp is nearly cooked add your drained dry on the surface pasta to the sauce.   Stir it well to coat pasta.

Let it sit for five to ten minutes to let the juices meld into the pasta.

Plate, sprinkle with more fresh parsley  if you have it and Parmesan cheese if you like.

That was dinner last night.

Two cans of clams at a $1.29 on sale- $2.58
A quarter of a box of pasta, $0.40
Spices, seasonings, oil and butter? Less than a buck from on hand stuff.  Call it $.50

So a scrumptious meal for $3.50.

Kicking up some notches you can add white wine to your sauce before reduction and a fistful of shrimp.

I added shrimp last night to mine.   Loved it.   Did not taste like I was a poor college kid again living on ramen and broccoli.   Btdt.

OP you inspire me.

I might make a Korean version as I want to use up some kimchee that is getting strong.   It’s at least four months cured. I usually eat it faster.
View Quote
Yeah I think Im gunna have to try that

It sounds yummy
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#50]

What's that pile of dried blood on the left and wtf is that an apple turnover from McDonald's lmao
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top