Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 5/25/2023 10:18:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees]
As in $50 cheap.

I entered the yearly KommandoStore "gumball of doom" raffle with 5 $10 tickets hoping to get a nice chest rig or something and ended up with a pristine police surplus trade in ScubaPro Knight Hawk BC.
Now I have never even considered scuba diving until now, especially living so far away from any coast line, but now that I have this it's got me thinking...

How much more time and money would it take for me to actually get trained and the equipment for me to dive in rivers/lakes around the area. Spearfishing invasive species could be alot of fun.
It does not have any regulating equipment with it, just the main hose from the bladder.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Jkees:
As in $50 cheap.

I entered the yearly KommandoStore "gumball of doom" raffle with 5 $10 tickets hoping to get a nice chest rig or something and ended up with a pristine police surplus trade in ScubaPro Knight Hawk BC.
Now I have never even considered scuba diving until now, especially living so far away from any coast line, but now that I have this it's got me thinking...

How much more time and money would it take for me to actually get trained and the equipment for me to dive in rivers/lakes around the area. Spearfishing invasive species could be alot of fun.
It does not have any regulating equipment with it, just the main hose from the bladder.
View Quote

You win a mask and decide to get into SCUBA?

I get it. I’ve bought a gun before because I already had a magazine for it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
He won a bit more than a mask - a BC is $400+++

I'd say,  you need 2-3 days for the PADI classroom sessions, two open water dives (at least 60' deep).  You'll need regulators, fins, mask, wetsuit.  Not an inexpensive endeavor.  

Check with your local scuba shop and chat them up.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LineOfDeparture] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

You win a mask and decide to get into SCUBA?

I get it. I’ve bought a gun before because I already had a magazine for it.
View Quote

I built a 7.5 inch .308 because I had 10 rounds left of 147gr .308 NATO ammo that grouped like shit in my OBR.

ETA: OP... you're nowhere near spending money if you want to get into scuba diving. I used to dive regularly when I was stationed out in Hawaii. Needless to say, I was broke most of the time because of it.

After the initial equipment investment though, it's not so bad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I just pieced together a g19.3 clone because I have a mag for it

First, make sure the bcd holds air!
Orally inflat using the, well, oral inflator.
If it doesn't, find out where to the leak is.
If the leak is in the bladder itself its a hard sell (can be fixed but you are fooked).  If the leak is comimg from a fixture/hose a dive shop can fix = $

No leaks? Yay!

Scuba can be expensive.  Open Water class + basic (mask fins snorkel fins booties etc) gear to take the class is about $750+.
This is area dependent.
Now that you are certified and have basic gear...on to buying regulator and dive computer; or rent it.  You will save about $20 having your own bcd

Having said that..its a great hobbie.  And invasive fish hunting is fun and tasty...lionfish and graysbys make great tacos.  If you get to that point let me know...I make a handy lionfish slayer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bap:

I just pieced together a g19.3 clone because I have a mag for it

First, make sure the bcd holds air!
Orally inflat using the, well, oral inflator.
If it doesn't, find out where to the leak is.
If the leak is in the bladder itself its a hard sell (can be fixed but you are fooked).  If the leak is comimg from a fixture/hose a dive shop can fix = $

No leaks? Yay!

Scuba can be expensive.  Open Water class + basic (mask fins snorkel fins booties etc) gear to take the class is about $750+.
This is area dependent.
Now that you are certified and have basic gear...on to buying regulator and dive computer; or rent it.  You will save about $20 having your own bcd

Having said that..its a great hobbie.  And invasive fish hunting is fun and tasty...lionfish and graysbys make great tacos.  If you get to that point let me know...I make a handy lionfish slayer.
View Quote

He’s in MO. How often is he going to be after lionfish?

Plenty of lakes and stuff to dive in the Midwest.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Referring the spearing 'invasive' part.

Made an assumption as to what, mea culpa.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:

He’s in MO. How often is he going to be after lionfish?

Plenty of lakes and stuff to dive in the Midwest.
View Quote

He doesn't have to ALWAYS dive in the Midwest or freshwater exclusively.

Lots to see in- and kill- in salt water.

@jkees Like @WWolfe said- Hit up a local dive shop and see what they have to say.

I've been diving for the better part of 50 years and while it sometimes gets boring for me, it never gets old.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top