Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
I got a parrot... (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2022 8:49:40 AM EDT
So for some reason, I decided it was time for another expensive hobby, so I decided on buying a parrot....so far so good. Expensive as all get out, but pretty rad. I ended up selecting a Pionus as the best species for my household. Overall he is pretty quiet, says just a handful of words, but is very inquisitive and already at home with our daily routine. Do any of you guys have any avian household members?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Needs more Hyacinth Macaw.

Birds are awesome. Was never able to get the wife on board so we visit the local exotic bird shop on a regular occuramce to get our fix.

Pretty cool OP! I shall live vicariously through you today so be sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a Norwegian Blue, but, alas, he started pining for the fjords.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#4]
This is our guy, 6 years old, we’re his third home. Funny enough, both my wife and I got on the bird kick after seeing a Hyacinth on an animal er tv show.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The CIA absolutely loves it that you spend large sums of money purchasing and maintaining personal surveillance drones that you allow into your house!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a conure as a kid. He was super cool, until he wasn’t.

Those birds have an infinite ability to be pricks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbleheaddiver] [#7]
I had a Myna bird, its vocabulary was crazy. He would mimic the doorbell, the cell phone and the microwave.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#8]

teach him some Chili peppers
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Parrots are assholes.

Con v?t d?y hamster bay - Parrot and Hamster
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 69rrdriver] [#10]
I have three. There's never a dull moment in my house.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
With an African Grey and your Macaw I'm sure its a loud and rambunctious lot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The grey isn't particularly loud, although she's full of personality. She talks a lot. The macaw, on the other hand,  is very loud when my wife leaves the room.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You must really insensitive skin to use OS body wash.

And either you like cheap shampoo or you have a gen Z girl in the house.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOldRepublic] [#14]
Teach him to say let's go Brandon

Eta That's a good looking Parrot!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#15]
My pals,

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
At one time I wanted one, but they live a long time and I don't know if I could do that to an animal. I'm hard enough for my wife to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#17]
Originally Posted By GSDAK47:
So for some reason, I decided it was time for another expensive hobby, so I decided on buying a parrot....so far so good. Expensive as all get out, but pretty rad. I ended up selecting a Pionus as the best species for my household. Overall he is pretty quiet, says just a handful of words, but is very inquisitive and already at home with our daily routine. Do any of you guys have any avian household members?
View Quote

Oh boy.

Don't stroke/pet its back.  Just don't.  It'll cause the bird to "sexually" bond with you and only you, and can cause a lot of negative behaviors like becoming extremely clingy of only you, and becoming extremely overlyprotective of you, etc..

Spend a lot of time with it.  Parrots are super social, and need a LOT of social interaction all day.  They're not really the kind of birds that can just be left in their cage most of the time.  They also live a very long time, so get ready for the long haul.  If you can't give it the stimulation and social interaction that it needs, find someone that can.

Get it a lot of toys for when it is in the cage.  They need a lot of stimulation.

Teach it not to bite.  We were told with ours to just ignore the biting (which is hard to do, those suckers can bite super hard), and it worked.  A painful few days, but it worked, the bird realized that biting just wasn't going to get what it wanted.

Learn to read the bird.  By the time it's bitten you, it's told you in two or three different ways to stop what you're doing.  Pay attention to those signs.  Body language is pretty big with birds.  If you pay attention, you'll learn how the bird tells you "I don't like that", "I'd like some scratches", "I'm about to go to the bathroom", etc..

Get your bird used to some things that it doesn't like.  For example, every once in a while, a bird needs to be just grabbed and held, even if it's just for a vet visit.  Ours (and probably most) didn't like that, and would bite the frick out of me, so I made it a point to just grab it and hold it 10x a day, and ignore any biting.   In a few days, it learned that if I grabbed it, there was no hope, and to stop struggling and just go with it.

Talk to it a lot.  It'll love talking back to you and learning to imitate what you do.

Teach it some sort of potty training.  We taught ours to go on command "go potty", and when it's with us, every so often we set it in an acceptable place and tell it to go.

Ours' favorite thing is to go meet even MORE people.  My daughter takes it to the park, to stores that allow it, etc., and universally she's surrounded by people interested in it.  And because we've taught it to interact well with humans, it'll go right to anybody that wants to hold it, and we don't have to worry about biting or other problems, it'll just jump onto their hand and start playing "picaboo" with them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

Oh boy.

Don't stroke/pet its back.  Just don't.  It'll cause the bird to "sexually" bond with you and only you, and can cause a lot of negative behaviors like becoming extremely clingy of only you, and becoming extremely overlyprotective of you, etc..

Spend a lot of time with it.  Parrots are super social, and need a LOT of social interaction all day.  They're not really the kind of birds that can just be left in their cage most of the time.  They also live a very long time, so get ready for the long haul.  If you can't give it the stimulation and social interaction that it needs, find someone that can.

Get it a lot of toys for when it is in the cage.  They need a lot of stimulation.

Teach it not to bite.  We were told with ours to just ignore the biting (which is hard to do, those suckers can bite super hard), and it worked.  A painful few days, but it worked, the bird realized that biting just wasn't going to get what it wanted.

Learn to read the bird.  By the time it's bitten you, it's told you in two or three different ways to stop what you're doing.  Pay attention to those signs.  Body language is pretty big with birds.  If you pay attention, you'll learn how the bird tells you "I don't like that", "I'd like some scratches", "I'm about to go to the bathroom", etc..

Get your bird used to some things that it doesn't like.  For example, every once in a while, a bird needs to be just grabbed and held, even if it's just for a vet visit.  Ours (and probably most) didn't like that, and would bite the frick out of me, so I made it a point to just grab it and hold it 10x a day, and ignore any biting.   In a few days, it learned that if I grabbed it, there was no hope, and to stop struggling and just go with it.

Talk to it a lot.  It'll love talking back to you and learning to imitate what you do.

Teach it some sort of potty training.  We taught ours to go on command "go potty", and when it's with us, every so often we set it in an acceptable place and tell it to go.

Ours' favorite thing is to go meet even MORE people.  My daughter takes it to the park, to stores that allow it, etc., and universally she's surrounded by people interested in it.  And because we've taught it to interact well with humans, it'll go right to anybody that wants to hold it, and we don't have to worry about biting or other problems, it'll just jump onto their hand and start playing "picaboo" with them.
View Quote

Great advice! My wife and I did extensive research before we took the plunge but more tips the merrier. Our guy would step up for us both immediately day 1. Amy touch us limited to head scratches. He prefers my wife over me hands down but will tolerate and interact with me just fine so far. We added a perch in the home office and living room where we spend a lot of family time. So far so good, he’s still settling in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful bird, bro.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had a parrot over 19 years. I recommend against getting one anytime the subject comes up. Personally I wouldn't do it again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
I've had a parrot over 19 years. I recommend against getting one anytime the subject comes up. Personally I wouldn't do it again.
View Quote

Our family business is animal care, so animal husbandry is life in our household. I've heard the same warning quite a few times, but for us its just another mouth to feed in the pack/kennel/stable.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I was expecting a picture of a CZ race gun
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:09:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#23]
View Quote

beautiful!

ETA: not sure where my manners are, congrats OP!

ETAA: I relation-shipped into a love bird and he turned out to be a very good friend.  I think about him often.  He amazed me many times and was a truly cool animal.  I miss Ernie.  There was an understanding of emotion that reminded me of a tiny hand-sized dog!

You guys with large, long-living, even smarter birds have my admiration.  t's no small task.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]
We have a sun conure, he's a cool bird, great watch bird! We didn't want a bird, but one day I was out in my driveway and this injured bird was hoping along and came right up to me. I was thinking WTF! We did everything we could to find the owner and two years later the dudes still here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mustangfan:
We have a sun conure, he's a cool bird, great watch bird! We didn't want a bird, but one day I was out in my driveway and this injured bird was hoping along and came right up to me. I was thinking WTF! We did everything we could to find the owner and two years later the dudes still here.
View Quote

What a story, that's awesome. Sad for the original owner I'm sure, but a neat addition to your household.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice.

You know they aren’t supposed to be solitary animals, right?

Unless it’s a weird situation like the VIOLENTLY antisocial sun conure I took in a year and a half ago. She’s good with people, but I got her because she almost killed the rest of their flock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Our family business is animal care, so animal husbandry is life in our household. I've heard the same warning quite a few times, but for us its just another mouth to feed in the pack/kennel/stable.
View Quote

It's not the feeding... it's the "it needs to be with you most of the day" that most people have trouble with.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#28]
So far so good, he's been a great companion around the house and we set up his cage and primary perch in our office for that very reason. Still quite a learning curve.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quick update; seller was not exactly honest. They claimed Jasper had been DNA sexed. Well I had my doubts, so my vet did a blood draw and it looks like Mr. Jasper Bird is actually a female!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Ha. That happens with everything we get pretty much.

Most recently, my chameleon Jeff became Jeffrina when she had her first clutch of eggs. Our turtle Tim became Kim. We're not very good at sexing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#32]
One of my birds fathers is names Melissa for the same reason. I've not had them sexed as it doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
View Quote

Going on six years with my green cheek.  I adore her but I wouldn't do it again either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bratworst:

Going on six years with my green cheek.  I adore her but I wouldn't do it again either.
https://i.imgur.com/28Mzcn6.jpg
View Quote

That's an awesome picture.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#35]
We’re loving Jasper, however I think this is going to be our one and only avian pet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had my conure for about 20 years now.  He's outlived 3 dogs and a cat.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Needs more Hyacinth Macaw.

View Quote

@-Obsessed-

You rang?

The most birds we had in our home at one time was 63. That's not including raccoons, opossums, and snakes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#38]
This is our guy, 6 years old, we’re his third home. Funny enough, both my wife and I got on the bird kick after seeing a Hyacinth on an animal er tv show.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283977/F9C648DB-2822-4DF5-AAB8-57D47ED60AC3_jpe-2560472.JPG
View Quote

Great looking parrot!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

@-Obsessed-

You rang?

https://i.imgur.com/Z9bcEE2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fha6qo2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VA5FQUJ.jpg

The most birds we had in our home at one time was 63. That's not including raccoons, opossums, and snakes.
View Quote

@Stitches1974

Is that a Catalina in the second pic, far left?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#40]

@Stitches1974

Is that a Catalina in the second pic, far left?
View Quote

@-Obsessed-

Harlequin. Killed by a self cleaning oven.  Can read about the incident here:

https://www.geocities.ws/flockingbirdman/features3.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

@-Obsessed-

Harlequin. Killed by a self cleaning oven.  Can read about the incident here:

https://www.geocities.ws/flockingbirdman/features3.html
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Sorry to hear that.
View Quote

Thanks! My mother was devastated, but it is what it is.

Back on topic with Bikes, babes, and birds.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#43]
We’re loving Jasper, however I think this is going to be our one and only avian pet.
View Quote

Any reasons why? I think they're kind of addictive and I'm not much of a bird lover. I'd love a blue and gold. Maybe one day I'll have another.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Overall, the husbandry is manageable, but we also breed and show dogs. So, the combination of dog and other pets etc. in the home I just don't see us freeing up more daily time to adequately care for another avian pet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:06:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#45]
Overall, the husbandry is manageable, but we also breed and show dogs. So, the combination of dog and other pets etc. in the home I just don't see us freeing up more daily time to adequately care for another avian pet.
View Quote

I don't even know how many birds my mother has now a days. Father passed away new years 2020, so I'm sure she got rid of most of them. She also has 2 collies and works 2 jobs. No clue how she does it. I know she'll never get rid of her blue and gold and hyacinth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got a African Grey he is 10 - I say he because I've never seen a egg. Extensive vocabulary that includes using words in context.
When I go out the door: "see you later"
I open chip bag: "I want a chip, cracker, treat"
It's getting dark: "It's bedtime"
It makes racket, corrects it's self: "stop that, shut up bird"
It will probably outlive me, if so one of my boys will take it. Entertaining but one is enough and I would not do it again. My dog dies, I get another. The parrot dies, not getting another.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:31:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mustangfan] [#47]
View Quote
We're looking at rescuing a parrots. We had a rescue sun conure, he was an amazing bird, he had some liver issues and passed away a week ago. Still torn up about it, once you have a bird, the house just seems to quiet without one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#48]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
I've got a African Grey he is 10 - I say he because I've never seen a egg. Extensive vocabulary that includes using words in context.
When I go out the door: "see you later"
I open chip bag: "I want a chip, cracker, treat"
It's getting dark: "It's bedtime"
It makes racket, corrects it's self: "stop that, shut up bird"
It will probably outlive me, if so one of my boys will take it. Entertaining but one is enough and I would not do it again. My dog dies, I get another. The parrot dies, not getting another.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302943/20220816_073119_jpg-2688313.JPG
View Quote

Congos are amazingly smart. Supposedly there is or was a congo with over a 700 word vocabulary. Depending on your age, by the time the parrot dies, you'll most likely be in the ground, as you said. Around 60, but up to 80 years lifespan for a captive bird.

Added a video, but not mine.
African Grey Parrot, Beaker, 700+ word vocabulary

We had 2 in my household and would talk nonstop during the day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the idea of a parrot, I’ll be buying one March 1st

Parrot
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
I like the idea of a parrot, I’ll be buying one March 1st

Parrot
View Quote

Same…that’s awesome
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
I got a parrot... (Page 1 of 2)
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top