Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2018 12:47:10 AM EDT
Got a ticket , Ok whatever officer said I was speeding I'll take the online class and it's gone no biggie.

However noticed when he pulled me over there is only a yellow "warning" sign with an arrow and a little 25 mph sign on it , actual 25mph sign was probably 100yds after the spot he pulled me over .

Both are temporary signs for the construction about 1/4 mile down the road .

This was brought to his attention and he got very defensive and changed from friendly to a prick , and asked for my phone number once I brought it up .

Thought that seemed strange but there was a space for it on the ticket and it wasn't worth making him into a bigger prick if I refused

He gave me a ticket for 47 in a 25 and sent me on my way .

Anyway he called the next day , and said his calibration on his gun failed it's test at the end of his shift and all the tickets be wrote were void .

So anyway , is that a common thing?, or did he realize his fuck up on the signs and come up with a story to save face ?

The signs have now been moved as well to cover the gradual bend I was pulled over on
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of that.  I would check with the courts to ensure that it is voided.  Don't want a warrant on you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Could be either. I watched a fellow officer write two tickets one day for speeding. Later we are sitting there chatting and he mentions how fast a car is going. I activate my radar and get a pretty normal speed. We tested his soon after and sure enough it was messed up. He called both people he had written and voided the tickets. One of then was an asshole on the stop and u am sure it hurt voiding that ticket.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Per my department policy you check calibration at the start of shift and end of shift, so it is possible he caught it later.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
He's telling you how to beat it in court to save face.

Go to court, he may or may not show up. Bring photos of the signs and location. Don't forget to bring up any questions about his radar gun calibration.

Don't assume the ticket is voided, give them a call before proceeding.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd call the court to make sure it wasn't submitted.  Even if submitted he gave you the out, as well as the signs.  Also, if true the cop is a stand up guy and is doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
So that line cops say about "once i write the ticket, i cant do anything about it" is a lie? Or is it a state thing?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of that.  I would check with the courts to ensure that it is voided.  Don't want a warrant on you.
View Quote
Yeah court date isn't for a month , figured I'd give um a call after about a week or so .
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
We do an accuracy check at the beginning of our shift and at the end of our shift. We will also ask you if you want one during the traffic stop (at least we do here in Georgia).  If for some reason the accuracy check at the end of our shift shows it to be not functioning properly, and we did not do an accuracy during each traffic stop, then every ticket that was written for speeding that day should be voided.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
What probably happened is one of his buddies invited him to go fishing on his new boat which just happened to be your court date. he was just being a cool guy and not making you show up in court as he new he would not be there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Trust, but always verify.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd get that in writing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What probably happened is one of his buddies invited him to go fishing on his new boat which just happened to be your court date. he was just being a cool guy and not making you show up in court as he new he would not be there.
View Quote
no...go troll somewhere else.

It could really be either one.  I would for sure verify that the ticket was not submitted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Could be either. I watched a fellow officer write two tickets one day for speeding. Later we are sitting there chatting and he mentions how fast a car is going. I activate my radar and get a pretty normal speed. We tested his soon after and sure enough it was messed up. He called both people he had written and voided the tickets. One of then was an asshole on the stop and u am sure it hurt voiding that ticket.
View Quote
Maybe he was an asshole because he knew it was a bullshit stop?   If I got a ticket when I was not speeding, I'd not be the greatest guy either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Per my department policy you check calibration at the start of shift and end of shift, so it is possible he caught it later.
View Quote
What does the equipment manufacture recommend for calibration?  Those two data points aren't sufficient to ensure all tickets written are accurately radared, but what percent fights the ticket vs just bends over and takes it, am I right?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We do an accuracy check at the beginning of our shift and at the end of our shift. We will also ask you if you want one during the traffic stop (at least we do here in Georgia).  If for some reason the accuracy check at the end of our shift shows it to be not functioning properly, and we did not do an accuracy during each traffic stop, then every ticket that was written for speeding that day should be voided.
View Quote
That accuracy check is just the push bottom "function check" or is it done per the manufacturers recommended protocols?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Even cops play stupid games sometimes...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#18]
If it’s LPD my bet is on the he fucked up and needs to save face.  He probably got to thinking about it later... but I’d still check with the courts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I got pulled over on the interstate a few years ago.  The officer walks up and asks me why I think he stopped me and I told him probably because I was doing 67 in a 55 (had my cruise control set to that on a level stretch of road and told him that).  He said his radar showed me going 76.  Nice guy let me off with a warning, maybe because he believed I was telling the truth.  I don't know if his gun was off calibration, he was dyslexic or he hit someone going the other way on the interstate.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
In Oklahoma, you won't get a trial on the initial appearance, and the Officer that wrote the ticket, won't be there. Unless you're in some tiny town, with one cop. You will enter a plea, and the trial will be further down the road.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I got an apology letter from the IRS once.
Beat that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Beat that.
View Quote
Almost as good - my wife once admitted she was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree. And, I'd seriously consider showing up anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]
A visual estimation is supposed to be done before even turning on the RADAR.  If an officer can't do a proper visual estimation and only relies on the RADAR then that is shit.  Also the calibration of the RADAR with tuning forks is only checking the calibration, you cannot actually calibrate it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I was told many years ago that the reason a PO asks, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" is a tactic used to get you to admit to something be it speeding, no turn on red, etc.

If you admit to something you are finished as in no defense.

Yes?  No?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you check the calibration on a gun?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If it's LPD my bet is on the he fucked up and needs to save face.  He probably got to thinking about it later... but I'd still check with the courts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got a ticket , Ok whatever officer said I was speeding I'll take the online class and it's gone no biggie.

However noticed when he pulled me over there is only a yellow "warning" sign with an arrow and a little 25 mph sign on it , actual 25mph sign was probably 100yds after the spot he pulled me over .

This was brought to his attention and he got very defensive and changed from friendly to a prick , and asked for my phone number once I brought it up .

Thought that seemed strange but there was a space for it on the ticket and it wasn't worth making him into a bigger prick if I refused

Anyway he called the next day , and said his calibration on his gun failed it's test at the end of his shift and all the tickets be wrote were void .

So anyway , is that a common thing?, or did he realize his fuck up on the signs and come up with a story to save face ?

The signs have now been moved as well to cover the gradual bend I was pulled over on
View Quote
No one asks phone number unless they plan on calling you later. He had to ask someone and didn’t know is what happened. You calibrate before using the gun and not after.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#29]
He personally called you to void the ticket?

We would never do that. In such a rare instance as an ESMD failing end of shift test, the courts would handle everything and the ticket would be officially dismissed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#30]
What is the speed limit before it drops to 25mph?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was told many years ago that the reason a PO asks, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" is a tactic used to get you to admit to something be it speeding, no turn on red, etc.

Yes?  No?
View Quote
Twice, being honest and answering that question got me a warning instead of a ticket. And both times, I was told that was the reason for getting the warning, because I admitted it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beat that.
Liars, the both of yous
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Twice, being honest and answering that question got me a warning instead of a ticket. And both times, I was told that was the reason for getting the warning, because I admitted it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes?  No?
I just did that the other day, he thanked me for my honesty and then promptly handed me my ticket lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No one asks phone number unless they plan on calling you later. He had to ask someone and didn’t know is what happened. You calibrate before using the gun and not after.
View Quote

So any drops/bangs/sliding around in the trunk/floorboard/saddlebags isn't possibly going to throw off the calibration.  To show any semblance of ensuring accurate readings, it would need to be checked for calibration before and after each ticket written to show it was accurate during the specific time it was used.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I once got a ticket for going 34 in a 25.....The town had changed the speed limit from 35 to 25 the week before. Thing was there was a maple tree that had it's limbs/leaves covering the sign in the north bound lane I was traveling in. I took a pic of it and produced it in court and got it thrown out.

The guy at the LGS I was headed to in that town told me they had been writing a shit-ton of speeding tickets for that. Hard to tell how many peeps just paid-off the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
It sounds like the one that was an asshole kinda had a reason no? Something about being told/getting a ticket for speeding when you weren’t speeding.....tends to piss some people off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just did that the other day, he thanked me for my honesty and then promptly handed me my ticket lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes?  No?
I've done it twice and got warnings both times for honesty.

The last time was for seatbelt violation.  I knew she was going to pull me over so I was on the side of road almost before she even turned her lights on.  I think she appreciated the fact that I pulled into a safe spot to conduct the stop and the fact that I didn't try to pull the seatbelt on while she was pulling me over.

The first time, a trooper tried to get me to admit that I was speeding.  I was probably going 50-55 in a 45 but I didn't know exactly how fast I was going so I couldn't tell him an actual number or even a range.  I thought he had me on radar so I wasn't about to say a number for fear of it being wrong.  Apparently, "probably too fast" isn't enough of an admission.  After a few go around of "how fast do you think you were going?"  "I couldn't say exactly"  He told me to keep the speed down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Liars, the both of yous
View Quote
I think I kept it actually...
I had cashed out some stocks to pay some things off, and reported them.  The original value was a gift ~12 years prior.
For whatever reason they disagreed and claimed that they were short term and tried to tax it as capital gains, so several thousand dollars difference...
Back and forth for a couple weeks, providing every document and record I could get my hands on.
Eventually got the letter saying "sorry for the inconvenience" or something like that, along with a ~$100 check to account for the stock value drop from last year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beat that.
I'm sure you just heard her wrong.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Perhaps he was an asshole because he knew he wasn't actually speeding and that there was some fuckery (albeit not on purpose) going on....    
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I once got a ticket for going 34 in a 25.....The town had changed the speed limit from 35 to 25 the week before. Thing was there was a maple tree that had it's limbs/leaves covering the sign in the north bound lane I was traveling in. I took a pic of it and produced it in court and got it thrown out.

The guy at the LGS I was headed to in that town told me they had been writing a shit-ton of speeding tickets for that. Hard to tell how many peeps just paid-off the ticket.
View Quote
Something similar in my early 20's. City I grew up in changed a freeway speed limit (seriously, middle of the freeway) to 45 from 60 the week before. It was 2am, semi w/ trailer in the left lane, me in 2nd lane, and then 2 staters on the side of the road on a traffic stop. I slowed and got behind semi to give the staters space, and in process missed the new 45 mph sign posted on the left.

I was pulled over, ticketed for speeding (61mph in a 45) and failure to provide proof of insurance. Driving my GF's car at the time, her insurance allowed me to drive but she didn't have the most recent copy.

Had to take a day off work and drive 1.5 hours to go to court to show them the insurance card, and pay $400 to defer the entire ticket. Still the only ticket I've ever been given.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, never believe anything told to you verbally.   Check with the court.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. I know someone who may or may not have had a fake ID taken at a bar which resulted in a charge, which was dropped over a phone call. That person went to the police station to have his summons voided in writing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He personally called you to void the ticket?

We would never do that. In such a rare instance as an ESMD failing end of shift test, the courts would handle everything and the ticket would be officially dismissed.
View Quote
Eh, I call victims/suspects/witnesses/people in general all the time for various matters from a government phone and I work for a huge agency.

Never called someone to void a speeding ticket, mostly because I don't write traffic tickets in general unless you are a gigantic asshole, or it is a mandatory ticket for a collision. I have called plenty of people involved in weird complicated collisions to tell them they are getting or not getting a ticket because I am not a traffic cop and I don't really know the 10,000 obscure traffic laws off the top of my head so sometimes I have to go to the station and read the relevant codes before deciding fault in some jacked up 4 car collision with everybody involved committing a different retarded violation.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So that line cops say about "once i write the ticket, i cant do anything about it" is a lie? Or is it a state thing?
View Quote
State and department dependant, I imagine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Called courthouse this AM lady said the ticket number was listed as void in her computer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can tell you that in Michigan (and I suspect elsewhere) that you have to run some tests on the radar/lidar before and after your shift. Obviously if it fails on the front end its taken out of service. If it fails at the end its taken out of service and all citations written based on the device for that shift are voided. 23 years as a Cop its happened once to me, I called the court and they voided the tickets and advised the people when they came to pay/set up court. Not sure about taking a phone number etc, we don't do that at my dept.

J-
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What does the equipment manufacture recommend for calibration?  Those two data points aren't sufficient to ensure all tickets written are accurately radared, but what percent fights the ticket vs just bends over and takes it, am I right?
View Quote
Calibration, at the patrol officer level is the wrong word. Its a function test, calibration is done by the manufacture if the unit fails the function test. That's all tickets between the passed and failed function checks are voided since there is no way of knowing when the malfunction occurred.

J-
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some agencies require the officer to get a phone number for the cite in case the PSB/IA guys want to check up on something later.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn!  Do tell!!

You beat your ticket OP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top