Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My in laws never owned guns. Both of them came from family's that never owned guns. They raised there children in the suburbs where unless you traveled to go hunting you didn't need guns. Now after there daughter married a guy who hunts they have come around on the idea of guns. But to them where do you start? I got out a variety of guns and let them try them. They have since purchased one for each of them. Now they get to try to find ammo. Those are alot of the newbies trying to get started. I have to feel sorry for those kind of individuals. The ones who have been into guns for awhile,, yeah not so much
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Bravado. That is all.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't feel bad either.  Some people have to learn life lessons the hard way.  I told everyone I talked to in the last 4 years to stock up on ammo and the response was, he's a nut, he's just saying that because he sells ammo and is charging .50 more per box than the big box store, what a ripoff.

Everyone that is buying guns and ammo is an adult and they need to put their big boy pants on.  If you don't have what you need now and for the next 2 years, you need to suck it up and pay what it costs to get what you need.  The chances that the supply and price situation will get better in the next year is effectively zero.  I don't see any realistic way that could happen.  Things could get a lot worse in the next 3-6 months.

Ammo is more expensive and that sucks, but just about everything else is going up in price too.  Equities, building materials, real estate, metals, long wait times on many durable goods.  I don't expect anyone to sell me stocks or gold and silver real cheap just because they bought it a long time ago.  Why should I or anyone with ammo, sell or give it away just because somebody spent all their discretionary income on a tv and netflix or because they're a new shooter.  I got introduced to shooting during the AWB and had to deal with the high prices on preban mags and guns.  Starting out, all I could afford was a crappy Wasr and a taurus revolver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:44:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't count the number of times that I've been asked for advice, often by the same hand-wringers many times over. I finally just started saying "get it or don't get it... no difference to me". Got tired of having my time wasted and feeling stoked for people, only to have them punk out every time. I take no glee in their missing the boat, but actions/inactions have consequences.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I gotta figure the huge majority of people buying at these prices are either bone stupid, speculating, or both.

So yeah.... fuck 'em.
View Quote

Maybe not stupid, just ignorant of recent history.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]
My ammo room used to draw interesting comments.

Now people speak with envy. Some ask if I'm selling. I do not hear their words.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I mostly agree with the OP, except for younger, lower wage earning pro-2A types who don't have a dad with a stash.

I came to agree with this point of view when, right after the race was called for Biden, a fucking assload of people who posted funny-haha memes about orange man bad started coming to me asking for advice, asking if I had ammo to sell. Complaining about the price. Acting as if I should give them a some modest hook up because we've been buds for so long.

Nope. If you want guns, pay the fucking mark up. If you want a piece of MY guns or ammo, you better come to me with creds saying you were in the RKBA struggle somehow or some affirmative support for pro-2A politics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]
First, why does anyone care what anyone else does or says ? Didn't stock up and complain, stocked up and gloat ; the world keeps spinning , wood needs split, chickens need fed.

Second, I would say 80% of the people bashing those who need ammo or bragging about their ammo forts shoot less than 100 rds a year with a 511 hat and a molle vest,  tier 1 operator level shooters that don't need to train or train others.

We should all be concerned about ammunition prices and availability , whether you have a million rounds or a hundred rounds, it affects us all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh I see I ruffled some feathers.

The writing was on the wall clearly in late summer and early fall.  When everyone was buying guns like crazy, ammo was still half reasonably priced.  Wolf was still way under $0.50rd shipped in October.  Anyone who didn't see this unfolding very early on was asleep at the wheel.

I don't fault anyone young and/or broke.  

View Quote

Can't speak for everyone.  I'm not ruffled.  It's really got not nothing to do with you or anyone's else's attitude.  The ammo is gobbled up.  It's gone.  It's not going to be back for a while if ever at prices it was.  I have enough to last a while of casual shooting (but probably won't do that anymore), but not enough to ever take a training class again until it's at least feasible to replace what I use.  Right now unless you are willing to pay out the ass, it's irreplaceable.  You can feel bad for me or not, it really changes nothing.  

What I can't get to or understand is feeling like I need to heckle someone that doesn't have 10K rounds of 5 calibers and a stockpile of spare parts.  Most people don't.  Situations and policies that make it hard on them, aren't doing anyone else any favors either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a bunch of dickhead curmudgeons.

We need people now. I have taken new shooters to the range every month these last few, and I teach them out of my stockpile. New shooters are how we keep our rights.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool story bro.

I was just invited on my first Elk hunt. As an eastern whitetail hunter, the most viable rifle that I own for Elk is a .270 Win, and by "viable" I mean barely meets the cut. I am now in the market for a more powerful unit for this upcoming hunt. Poor timing to say the least. I'm looking at which cartridge I can possibly find to stock up on before buying a rifle, instead of just picking the rifle and buying ammo later. The hunt is pretty far in the future, so I have some time to figure it out.
View Quote

If you just want a new rifle, great, go get it. But .270 is perfectly fine for elk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
99% of the time a new gun owner will spend 3-5 years first "discussing" the idea of getting into guns.  They'll be given sage advice and completely fucking ignore it.
Unless you just turned 18, you knew this was coming.  Shit or get off the pot applies here.

So frequently we in the gun community are asked for advice, only to be completely fucking ignored.  I must give huge respect to by little brother - back in oct/sept he said "here's $800, go build me a gun".  Alternatively, my in-laws are busy buying hi-points, Tauruses, and shitty bolt actions no one wants.
View Quote
I guess all the haters taking about kids and next generations decided not to read the sentence in red.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Bullshit.....I feel VERY bad for them.

Ammo should be readily available to all citizens.

FUCK DEMOCRATS!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My eight scouts turned 21 in 2020 and 2021.

I guess we should just say "Fuck you. You should have stocked up".
View Quote

Yup........heartless fucks in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I must give huge respect to by little brother - back in oct/sept he said "here's $800, go build me a gun".
View Quote

um....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of us didn’t foresee acquiring their first Auto Mag in 2019.
But I don’t want anyone’s sympathy. First world problem
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Agree with OP. Though I can’t complain, I’ve turned hundreds of dollars spent on ammo into a pile of kits, other stuff.

Obama’s second term was the warning, people should’ve paid attention.

ETA there are two people very specific to my post that I’ve warned over the years. They’ve since asked for ammo. I’ve hooked them up with what I’m willing to spare at last years price point. But I’ve also reminded them of the things we talked about for years now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I won't shame new gun owners (that aren't libs) though.

Everyone had to start sometime.

Maybe all the interest is what actually got them interested.  

Everyone has to start sometime.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FUCK DEMOCRATS!!!
View Quote

Ammo gougers might as well be Democrats. They are effectively doing the exact same things as Dems are proposing to do like in HR5717. Cut off the supply chain and inflate the prices so the average American cant afford it. Half them probably don't even shoot or own guns they are just screwing us and some of us are so stupid we defend it in the name of Capitalism.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I won't shame new gun owners (that aren't libs) though.

Everyone had to start sometime.

Maybe all the interest is what actually got them interested.  

Everyone has to start sometime.
View Quote

Yep.  A close friend of mine finally realized he needed to arm himself after watching the disintegration of this nation last year.  Bought an AR-15, a shotgun, and a 9mm pistol and joined a range.  He's really short on ammo but what is strange is he doesn't find the insane prices as insane as I do as he doesn't remember getting 20 rounds of M193 for 8 bucks rather than 18-20.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FUCK DEMOCRATS!!!
View Quote

Democrats have nothing to do with this.  

This is all gun owners doing a run on ammo like the COVID run on toilet paper.  There has been no legislation passed, no executive order, no lawsuit, and no meaningful imminent movement of legislation (yet). There hasnt even been an executive order on importation supply chain.  

We'll see what the next few months do on that part, but all the same - for the last 6 months, this has been all gun-owners doing it to themselves.  It has cascaded into a run on everything.  Anybody who owns a 45-70 for deer hunting and buys a box of ammo every 2 years, is now emptying the shelves of every box he can find, if he sees it.  

The fastest way to actually fix this is for gun stores to float their price such that their last box of ammo is so high, nobody will buy it.  And then nobody buys it. And as soon as people go into gun stores and see ammo is actually available, the panic buying will stop, and prices will start to actually fall.   But because everyone loses their shit and demands non-gouge' prices at all their retail options, they can't actually do that.  And so this ride is probably going to last for years, when it could be solved in months.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#23]
anyone who wasn't 40+ already at an arbitrary date of my chosing in an established career making good money deserves what comes

reason #9001 and the gun community is screwed long term
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Democrats have nothing to do with this.  

This is all gun owners doing a run on ammo like the COVID run on toilet paper.  There has been no legislation passed, no executive order, no lawsuit, and no meaningful imminent movement of legislation (yet). There hasnt even been an executive order on importation supply chain.  

We'll see what the next few months do on that part, but all the same - for the last 6 months, this has been all gun-owners doing it to themselves.  It has cascaded into a run on everything.  Anybody who owns a 45-70 for deer hunting and buys a box of ammo every 2 years, is now emptying the shelves of every box he can find, if he sees it.  

The fastest way to actually fix this is for gun stores to float their price such that their last box of ammo is so high, nobody will buy it.  And then nobody buys it. And as soon as people go into gun stores and see ammo is actually available, the panic buying will stop, and prices will start to actually fall.   But because everyone loses their shit and demands non-gouge' prices at all their retail options, they can't actually do that.  And so this ride is probably going to last for years, when it could be solved in months.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd love to have a massive ammo fort like some of you guys, but with where I'm at, it would just be a waste.   I have enough to keep myself safe for some time, but it's not like I have 20 acres 200miles outside of this city with a house I can run to or even have a vehicle capable of transporting an ammo fort.

Would I love to be sitting on double what I have, sure.   But I'll make do.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Off Topic Rumor - Small ( Coleman Camper Stove) to #20 ( most 4 burner BBQ grills) propane tanks are now being hoarded like toilet paper was.....Another Propane Rumor - Blue Rhino tanks are unfillable with propane by other propane suppliers because of some type of valve...............
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top