Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 9:19:40 PM EDT
I'm putting together a Frankenstrat from some misc parts that I had laying around. I wanted to check wiring so I put two strings on and tuned them up. While tuning, I noticed that I hadn't screwed the bridge all the way down, and it was tilting up in the back, at an angle. I hit the strings a few times and was satisfied with the sound (the Seymour-Duncan Pearly Gates at the neck along with a SD '59 sounds amazing, by the way). Right before I took the strings off to fix the bridge, I noticed something. I plucked a string and the sustain was unbelievable. It would sustain basically forever.

I thought this was a great sign for my new guitar. I screwed the bridge down, put strings back on and... the sustain was back to what I would consider normal. I also noticed slightly less "depth" to the sound. I backed the screws off again to double-check and the "eternal sustain" was back. The bridge is a strat style with the springs in the back. I'm using very heavy springs and I could feel the bridge vibrating. I figured this was a novelty that would likely cause the guitar to detune quickly but nope, it has held tuning just fine after several hours of playing.

So for now, I'm leaving the bridge canted, as ridiculous as it looks, because both the sound and the sustain of the guitar is dramatically better.

It may be useless info but I thought I would share, just for those curious about technical stuff. Anyway, CSB.

Pic (and yes, I am going to replace the silver hardware):

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it's your photo angle, but I don't see a "ridiculous" cant. It looks like a typical floating configuration.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe it's your photo angle, but I don't see a "ridiculous" cant. It looks like a typical floating configuration.
View Quote

I think it's the angle of the photo. It's way up, over 1/2" high in the back. Compared to a regular strat bridge which is relatively flat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Vibrations will subside fast when they meet a soft object that works against the frequency of the vibration (like a spongy material). Hard materials at either end taper them off too, but obviously not as fast. Some materials dampen vibration better than others, due to density and resonant frequencies...hence longer sustain with certain woods and certain scales, with a certain bridge.

But, it's not always intuitive what will free up the strings to sustain a long time....a happy medium will be hard mounting points, but a spring that lets the string "float" and vibrate longer. Sometimes that spring tension will deaden vibrations quicker than a hard tail, sometimes not.

The tonewood debates always crack me up...it's such a minor player in the design compared to other features or influences, as you've demonstrated. You alleviated contact, and got sustain galore. You essentially took the tone wood OUT of the equation to get long lasting sustain.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Vibrations will subside fast when they meet a soft object that works against the frequency of the vibration (like a spongy material). Hard materials at either end taper them off too, but obviously not as fast. Some materials dampen vibration better than others, due to density and resonant frequencies...hence longer sustain with certain woods and certain scales, with a certain bridge.

But, it's not always intuitive what will free up the strings to sustain a long time....a happy medium will be hard mounting points, but a spring that lets the string "float" and vibrate longer. Sometimes that spring tension will deaden vibrations quicker than a hard tail, sometimes not.

The tonewood debates always crack me up...it's such a minor player in the design compared to other features or influences, as you've demonstrated. You alleviated contact, and got sustain galore. You essentially took the tone wood OUT of the equation to get long lasting sustain.
View Quote

Yeah, pretty much exactly that. This body is not high quality tone wood. After I posted this, I began to look at it closer. The bridge is completely suspended against the vertical body (threads) of the screws. In other words, it doesn't rest on the screw heads at all, or on the guutar body. I accidentally managed to balance it with tension from the strings and springs, which is why it vibrates so much, and why the sustain carries for ages.

I think there may be a new bridge idea here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I always thought the Vega Trem design made more sense.  Lots of contact area.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#7]

huh, i thought the knife edges ran the full width of the trem on the Vega. Still a cool design and def improvement on the 6 screw Fender trem.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's called "floating" the tremolo, and it allows one to both raise and lower pitch with the bar, or by rocking a hand on the bridge.  The downside is that when you break a string or do double stop bends everything else goes out of tune.

The sustain improvement, now that's one I haven't heard of before - I'll have to test it out at work tomorrow.
View Quote

I figured my accident wasn't original but I still think I can foresee a new type of Trem. If I can get some spare time, I may design it and see what people think.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/Lk3f8pgEjNivFvG5wxuzeF-1200-80.jpg

huh, i thought the knife edges ran the full width of the trem on the Vega. Still a cool design and def improvement on the 6 screw Fender trem.

https://futureworld.ocnk.net/data/futureworld/product/20200327_8813bf.jpg
View Quote

Yikes! Speaking of designs, that's not good.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yikes! Speaking of designs, that's not good.
View Quote

its well regarded, has more contact area than a Floyd rose or an Ibanez Edge II.  I like how compact they are. Start at 7:00 for testing..

Installing the VegaTrem! - The Most EXPRESSIVE Trem For Your Strat!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The Vega Trem looks interesting. For the price, it ought to play the guitar for me!
That's gone into Bigsby territory as far as cost goes!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Vega Trem looks interesting. For the price, it ought to play the guitar for me!
View Quote

If I understand correctly they have to do some fine knifemaking level of hardening to the edges of the trem, and the chrome work is a pretty high grade, so a least it justifies the price.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I understand correctly they have to do some fine knifemaking level of hardening to the edges of the trem, and the chrome work is a pretty high grade, so a least it justifies the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After doing a bit of research, they look like a good development.
I like the "drop in" factor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top