User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Got 10k in yesterday and this morning.  My soft effeminate hands are getting calloused up and hurting but I’m gonna try another 10k tomorrow as well
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never rowed but I ordered a Concept2 to try out.  I've been nursing a plantar fasciitis heel for a few months and my doc hasn't released me to jog yet.  Gotta get going on something else.  Not moving is hitting me hard these days!

CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm working on making the moves to buy a C2.  I'd like to participate in these things.  A couple-few months...
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm working on making the moves to buy a C2.  I'd like to participate in these things.  A couple-few months...
View Quote

Its worth it.  There are some on here that have links to good purchase places, tho I cant remember who / where.  Wanna say I got mine for 800$.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been rowing nearly everyday on an inexpensive unit I bought from Amazon. Thinking about upgrading to a concept 2
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]
5k a day for the last 3 weeks for me boys.  Working my way up to the 10k.  I think i can do it, it is just psychological.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been rowing nearly everyday on an inexpensive unit I bought from Amazon. Thinking about upgrading to a concept 2
View Quote

Do it. You won’t regret it.

If the C2 was 3X the cost, I’d still get one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to know.  I'm going to buy new for the peace of mind.  The older I get, the more I realize when I've bought used to 'save money', I prob paid more in the long run in re-habbing or misery.

I figure the end of June, I'll have one on the way.  I only live at my real house part time, and the garage still looks like a warehouse from last June's still incomplete.  There's no room for a machine just yet.  By the end of June I'll be there full time and I'll get the garage in shape.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Trying to finish the month strong after mostly focusing on lifting for most of April.  Gotta get my money’s worth out of this thing!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359239/IMG_2258_jpeg-2796903.JPG
Trying to finish the month strong after mostly focusing on lifting for most of April.  Gotta get my money’s worth out of this thing!
View Quote

Outstanding!  Keep it up.

A little jealous.  Life got life-ey and I haven't made it to the Planet Fitness in a few weeks.  Job, fam, schtuff.  I miss the machine.  But I am closer to buying one for the house!
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359239/IMG_2258_jpeg-2796903.JPG
View Quote

@Useafortyfive

I’ve been hitting the 5k nearly daily for around a month now.  

I know there are a lot of variables at play here, but on avg, whats your time / goal per session?  

Mine’s 5k a day under 24 min.  Got 22:37 the other day.  Fuck I was gassed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Useafortyfive

I’ve been hitting the 5k nearly daily for around a month now.  

I know there are a lot of variables at play here, but on avg, whats your time / goal per session?  

Mine’s 5k a day under 24 min.  Got 22:37 the other day.  Fuck I was gassed.
View Quote

I’m right around 22:30-23 for a 5k.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m right around 22:30-23 for a 5k.
View Quote

????

22:30 is damn fast for my big ass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I just found this thread about a month after buying my first rowing machine. Its a Sunny brand, and unfortunately the computer doesnt track distance or pace count. I have time, count and calories burned.

Any ideas how to track and or convert into distances?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
did 5k in 21:42
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#21]
12k in the books today.   Nothing else to do in Ohio with the rain
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Humble brag.  I was trying to row more than 100k for MayAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
My Concept 2 rower is awesome!

Love that thing.

I have never had an issue, because I watched some pretty good YT videos on proper form and have always kept my elbows down and tucked in.  Some guys will for reasons unknown to me flare their elbows out and mess up their elbows, so keep those elbows down and in close to your body.  

I have an Assault Bike, Nordic 1750 Commercial Treadmill, and Concept 2 rower.  The Assault bike is good for when I want really, really low impact cardio and sometimes I definitely want that. For me and my body running on the treadmill is the best cardio but I have to be careful and can't run every day at my age due to my bones and joints.  The Concept 2 Rower really occupies that middle ground where it's definitely going to kick your butt cardio wise, but it's not as high impact as running (especially if you're using good form).  

My Garmin watch also has an indoor rowing track option, which is nice (I do wish all cardio equipment would work in conjunction with the Garmin products).
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't run for shit; I'm fat and it fucks my knees up.  I fucked up on weights and jacked up a nerve in my arm; didn't regain full function for a couple of months.  I got frustrated and gave up for about six months.

I used a rower as a warmup when I was going to the gym, and I liked it, so bought a C2 in late March.  320 lbs, BP 152/100, and I couldn't do 1k at a sub-2:00 pace without feeling like death afterward.

240,000 meters later.  295lbs, BP 117/90, regularly do 2k twice a day which is nice because I can knock 2k out quick before I go to work, and do it again before dinner.

I got bored this morning and did my first 5k.  19:55, and feel fine.  

I can't do "I'm gonna lose X lbs or get to Y% body fat" type goals.  I've tried; there's too many failure/plateau points that just lead to frustration.   But I can work toward "I will do X meters or X time on this machine".   I'm doing it because I want to be in better cardio shape, but the target is the time.

Now to get faster.  I need to do 2k in under 7:00, and that's gonna be tough.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't run for shit; I'm fat and it fucks my knees up.  I fucked up on weights and jacked up a nerve in my arm; didn't regain full function for a couple of months.  I got frustrated and gave up for about six months.

I used a rower as a warmup when I was going to the gym, and I liked it, so bought a C2 in late March.  320 lbs, BP 152/100, and I couldn't do 1k at a sub-2:00 pace without feeling like death afterward.

240,000 meters later.  295lbs, BP 117/90, regularly do 2k twice a day which is nice because I can knock 2k out quick before I go to work, and do it again before dinner.

I got bored this morning and did my first 5k.  19:55, and feel fine.  

I can't do "I'm gonna lose X lbs or get to Y% body fat" type goals.  I've tried; there's too many failure/plateau points that just lead to frustration.   But I can work toward "I will do X meters or X time on this machine".   I'm doing it because I want to be in better cardio shape, but the target is the time.

Now to get faster.  I need to do 2k in under 7:00, and that's gonna be tough.
View Quote
2k@ 1:45 pace is very fast. What damper setting and stroke rate are you planning for that effort?

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
2k@ 1:45 pace is very fast. What damper setting and stroke rate are you planning for that effort?

View Quote
Damper setting 5.  I'm assuming stroke rate is gonna be 31-32 or so.  Pretty quick.  Basically I need to find 7-10 seconds/500 to get there.  Fastest I've done it so far is 7:40.

It's the TX DPS fitness test.  2k, damper setting 5.
70th percentile (minimum req) for a 40 year old 320 lb fat guy is 6:48.
60th is 7:32, which, while not a piece of cake, is definitely some sort of other small dessert that is not too hard to digest.

I love this rower; it's the only cardio I've found where being tall fatass isn't a deal-breaking hindrance.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damper setting 5.  I'm assuming stroke rate is gonna be 31-32 or so.  Pretty quick.  Basically I need to find 7-10 seconds/500 to get there.  Fastest I've done it so far is 7:40.

60th is 7:32, which, while not a piece of cake, is definitely some sort of other small dessert that is not too hard to digest.

I love this rower; it's the only cardio I've found where being tall fatass isn't a deal-breaking hindrance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 seconds/500m is a big pickup. Have you experimented with different stroke rates?

I had to go back and look at my 2k PR. 1:51.0 pace at 23 SPM, 126 drag factor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

10 seconds/500m is a big pickup. Have you experimented with different stroke rates?

View Quote
I have, but I find that at that drag setting I'm having to fight the flywheel too much once I get under about 24 spm or so.  I don't think my actual draw speed(?)  is particularly high (I don't feel like I'm just yanking the shit out of the bar) so I don't know if I could get below 1:50 at less than 25/26 spm.  

Just based on observation, I think I get maybe 10-11 meters/stroke once I'm in a groove.  I can do 1:45 for 500m easy.  Maintaining that for 2k is a different story.

I may not ever reach it; there's certainly no benefit to me doing so, but it's something to push for, at least once I get to the point that I can do 5k under 20:00 on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have, but I find that at that drag setting I'm having to fight the flywheel too much once I get under about 24 spm or so.  I don't think my actual draw speed(?)  is particularly high (I don't feel like I'm just yanking the shit out of the bar) so I don't know if I could get below 1:50 at less than 25/26 spm.  

Just based on observation, I think I get maybe 10-11 meters/stroke once I'm in a groove.  I can do 1:45 for 500m easy.  Maintaining that for 2k is a different story.

I may not ever reach it; there's certainly no benefit to me doing so, but it's something to push for, at least once I get to the point that I can do 5k under 20:00 on a regular basis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea definitely. Obviously I've never reached that target pace so definitely interested to learn how you go about it. Keep up the hard work and let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m looking for a skull, cheapest I can find is $850, or it’s too far away.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Nearest gym to me on base (different than last deployment) has a couple of Concept 2s... I can keep it up

The one at home didn't get much use while I was on R&R for a few reasons. I was so far out of practice that even 250 meters was wearing my arms out. I'm almost back to the point where it's boredom making me stop more than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yea definitely. Obviously I've never reached that target pace so definitely interested to learn how you go about it. Keep up the hard work and let us know how it goes.
View Quote
2000 in 7:30 on the nose!  Getting closer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I did a 2K that fast, I’m sure the paramedics would be called to my house afterwards!

I’m trying to get to the point where I can do a 7-10K where the watts produced are 2X body weight in kilograms. In my case that would  be 150 watts (75 kg X 2).  It’s humbling when some of the cyclists in the Tour de France approach 400 watts!
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a solid minute, minute and a half behind you. Getting better but holy moly. If I ever get into the 7's I'll have to give you credit
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#36]
2k still takes me 10
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm a solid minute, minute and a half behind you. Getting better but holy moly. If I ever get into the 7's I'll have to give you credit
View Quote
I'm tall, fat and out of shape.  Can't run for shit.  But rowing, for some reason, I can do well without hurting myself.  So it's become my go-to for cardio.    

Haven't had a bad backache since I started doing it, either.  Those used to be a regular ocurrance for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I did a 2K that fast, I'm sure the paramedics would be called to my house afterwards!

I'm trying to get to the point where I can do a 7-10K where the watts produced are 2X body weight in kilograms. In my case that would  be 150 watts (75 kg X 2).  It's humbling when some of the cyclists in the Tour de France approach 400 watts!
View Quote

This is my killer.  The absolute max I've done is 5k, but my pace is still under 2:00 (at damper setting 5).  I know I could slow my pace and probably get more distance, but slowing down too much is uncomfortable (IDK, it just feels off.  Like I cant get a rhythm going).

But I started off a 750m at this pace, so I'm improving at least.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just did my first 10k row. I typically do 2000m pieces and rarely a 5k.  It wasn't too bad.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170924/10k_row-2919309.png
View Quote
Nice!!

10k is still too big a mental barrier for me.  I can't think about hitting 5k and thinking "ok, now I have all that to do over again".
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Outstanding.  I'm a little jealous.

If I find I stick with it, I will buy one.  I like the option of going before work or when ever it suits me.   I live in a rented room right now, so Planet Fitness is for me.  When I get back to my house that will change.
View Quote

I’ve had a C2 for years literally between my wife and I closing in on 10 million meters. Pretty much zero maintenance on the machine. It has got to be the least expensive legit cardio machine there is.

Early on the memory cards and slow to program (PM3) were a pain. Now full iOS app integration (PM5) for loading workouts as well as uploading results to the online logbook.

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Early on the memory cards and slow to program (PM3) were a pain. Now full iOS app integration (PM5) for loading workouts as well as uploading results to the online logbook.

View Quote

I really need to upgrade mine from the PM4 to the PM5. Logging stuff into the web page and digging the verification code out is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And you can pick up a PM5 cheap, then connect to the app. They've upgraded the app over the past couple years and it's really nice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I find I stick with it, I will buy one.  I like the option of going before work or when ever it suits me.   I live in a rented room right now, so Planet Fitness is for me.  When I get back to my house that will change.

I've had a C2 for years literally between my wife and I closing in on 10 million meters. Pretty much zero maintenance on the machine. It has got to be the least expensive legit cardio machine there is.

And you can pick up a PM5 cheap, then connect to the app. They've upgraded the app over the past couple years and it's really nice

PM5 is great. I love the instant WoD and logbook synchronization.

What I don't like is distance-based WoDs. When you stop rowing, the distance stays the same Came out the gate a little too hard today and fizzled in the later intervals. Glad to knock it out, tomorrow is a new day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah that's a reall bummer, and you gotta pull real hard to get that wheel moving again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a C2 for years literally between my wife and I closing in on 10 million meters. Pretty much zero maintenance on the machine. It has got to be the least expensive legit cardio machine there is.

PM5 is great. I love the instant WoD and logbook synchronization.

What I don't like is distance-based WoDs. When you stop rowing, the distance stays the same Came out the gate a little too hard today and fizzled in the later intervals. Glad to knock it out, tomorrow is a new day.

Yeah that's a reall bummer, and you gotta pull real hard to get that wheel moving again.

Figured I better tear it apart and check the flywheel for what surely would be a bomb of dust and dog hair. Nope, basically like new. I didn't even need to wipe it off

Went back and looked at previous 5k times and found that my better pieces typically featured a lower stroke rate and higher power output. At the time I was following the dark horse pacing videos and had a good run. I need to get back to basics.

For anyone getting up to speed (or back up to speed like me) here's the 20 minute 5k pace video, he also has some other time target videos. You could set your watch by this guy's pace. Just beware of youtube ads if anyone plays the video, it's like hitting a speedbump at 50mph when they come up.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top