Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2023 5:21:18 AM EDT

I woke up while back and was tired of being in such a poor a condition.  Specifically, having no sustainable aerobic capacity.  So, I signed up for a Tac Med class as a way to force myself to get moving again.  I know me, once I paid money for a 2 day class I wasn't going to waste it by doing the scenarios at 25% speed.  My first response class in years, so I'm looking forward to it a lot.  

I started on a treadmill, doing a program I found on the Nike website that is a beginner running program.  I was/am keeping up with it and making good progress.  However, my left knee is in terrible shape and it made itself evident after a couple weeks.  I went looking for a lower impact aerobic activity.  Eff that stair machine.  I tried the rowing machine.  I love it.  I need to be better at it.  

So far, I have only found 1 YooToob channel I like, the guys channel is called 'Dark Horse Rowing'.  Guy appears knowledgeable, has a good instructor/coaching delivery.  He has a 20 minute beginners workout that has been pretty easy for me.  

Anybody else to check out?  Any preferred websites, YooToobs or programs to look at.  Rebuilding aerobic capacity is my No 1 priority.  Weight loss and strength are secondary to me right now.  I quite drinking booze, eating cakes/pies/bread, soda, and anything deep fried at the first of the year.  I've lost 2 pant sizes just with that diet modification and the treadmill work.

Appreciate the discussion, fellas.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Good deal, I love the concept 2 rower I actually bought one to put on my back porch.   I limit my running on pavement just because the wear and tear too.

There’s plenty of videos out there just like everything get proper form downInstructional video

You can do lots of work with it, such as interval sprints on it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for you. You sound like where I was about 6 years ago. Rowing is definitely my preferred form of cardio.

If you like the guided workout approach with pacing and technique cues then RowAlong on YouTube has a ton of sessions organized into different programs and experience levels

For general technique and advice stuff I like Dark Horse too, and also Training Tall (even though I am not tall)

If you are on a Concept 2 rower then there are tons of apps that hook up to the rowers performance monitor and give you lots of in-workout metrics and log everything to the C2 Logbook. I routinely use ErgData, KREW and EXR for different things. ErgData is free, KREW is free with some subscription-only features, and EXR is subscription only. ErgZoneis another popular one that works with the rower but I use it with the BikeErg
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Rowing is excellent exercise, glad you found it!

A member of the Ohio State University women's rowing team came to our gym last night and two weeks ago for a one-hour rowing machine clinic.  She said everything that was in the proper form video linked above and then some.  Here are some additional points on form, hopefully I remember them correctly.

When you're strapping in your shoes the tip of your shoe should be at the top of the small foot board.  The woman in the video had it set up correctly but didn't point this out.  If you have a long shoe size then the movable part on the foot piece will be pretty far down.  My shoe size is 11.5 and the movable piece was all the way down.  If you have small feet then the movable part will be higher up.

As you move back and forth the chain should stay in the middle of the large slot it's moving through.  If the chain is moving vertically up and down then your arms are too, keep it in the middle.  The woman in the video did this but didn't point it out.

Our coach recommended keeping the power level always set to five.  She didn't have a great explanation for why.  Why have one through ten then?

Keep your shoulders down, don't shrug your shoulders, or move your shoulders up and down while rowing, just keep them down.

When you're in the catch the seat should be about 8 to 9 inches from the front, don't get too close.  If you can't due to mobility issues or body shape don't sweat it, just do what you can.

As you row and get into the catch your heels can come up off the foot board an inch or two, that's fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't do mush LISS, but like to sometimes mix the rower with other cardio machines, especially the stairmaster (the kind with a moving staircase).

2km row, 10 min stairs, 2km row, 10 min stairs, 2km row

You can modulate the intensity by speeding up or slowing down transitions.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A member of the Ohio State University women's rowing team came to our gym last night and two weeks ago for a one-hour rowing machine clinic.  She said everything that was in the proper form video linked above and then some.  Here are some additional points on form, hopefully I remember them correctly.

When you're strapping in your shoes the tip of your shoe should be at the top of the small foot board.  The woman in the video had it set up correctly but didn't point this out.  If you have a long shoe size then the movable part on the foot piece will be pretty far down.  My shoe size is 11.5 and the movable piece was all the way down.  If you have small feet then the movable part will be higher up.

As you move back and forth the chain should stay in the middle of the large slot it's moving through.  If the chain is moving vertically up and down then your arms are too, keep it in the middle.  The woman in the video did this but didn't point it out.

Our coach recommended keeping the power level always set to five.  She didn't have a great explanation for why.  Why have one through ten then?

Keep your shoulders down, don't shrug your shoulders, or move your shoulders up and down while rowing, just keep them down.

When you're in the catch the seat should be about 8 to 9 inches from the front, don't get too close.  If you can't due to mobility issues or body shape don't sweat it, just do what you can.

As you row and get into the catch your heels can come up off the foot board an inch or two, that's fine.
View Quote

I think she's trying to demonstrate how drag simulates rowing on actual water.  There is a scale for what simulates rowing on water. I think somewhere around 125 drag factor.  For my machine thats around the 4 setting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think she's trying to demonstrate how drag simulates rowing on actual water.  There is a scale for what simulates rowing on water. I think somewhere around 125 drag factor.  For my machine thats around the 4 setting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Been rowing routinely for over a year now.  If there is anything I can add, watching tv def helps take your mind off of the mid to longer rows.  

Find something that you have never seen before.  It helps keep you distracted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the input, fellas.  I'll be exploring the various suggestions.

I did 5k meter at 23+/- s/pm for 30 minutes today and it was great.  Other than the little raw spot at the top of my ass, I think I could have done that for hours.  Around 4k meters I was sweating good, controlled breathing and I hit the euphoric state.  If I had good music and the time, I could have styed there all day.  

I saw the Training Tall channel.  I was on the edge about what I thought of him until I caught sight of his painted fingernails lol.  

The 'power' setting was something I was looking at.  The Matrix brand machine I am using at the local Planet Fitness has a knob with 0-10 on it.  I didn't now what effect it had on the exercise so I split the diff and started at 5.  I have since found I can go higher and feels fine, I find it harder to hold a rhythm with it any lighter.  I like pulling harder, but recognize I need to get better form first.  Form is proving to be not easy.  If I concentrate on form, I lose rhythm.  If I watch rhythm, my form comes apart.  Mostly all the way out at the finish.  I am having trouble keeping a straight back/opening my hips, and ending up at that 1-2 o'clock lean, and then coming back out of it to trans to recovery.  I'm waiting for it to 'click'.  

It appears the Concept 2 is the standard?  I looked at marketplace today and saw several like-new used ones around me.  I'm sure it's like any other exercise equipment.... hot and heavy from New Year resolution to a few quick weeks/months later lmao.   If I stick with this, it will become an option.  I have space in the garage that would permit me to open the doors and do this outside.  I think I'd like that.  The visual would be fun, rowing across a hay field lol.  

I don't know if watching TV while rowing would be for me.  Maybe it's early, but I'm listening to the trainers machine in the background to stay on pace and rhythm/pace.

***Edited for additional thought - I really wish the handle was about a foot wider. My hands are all the way out on the ends, with my pinky and the meat of my palm actually hanging off in the air. That's the only way I start to feel good work happening in the places I'm told it should target.  I am 6'3, with a 37" arm and a 34" leg.  Ergonomics of anything that was based on averages has always been a little bit of a problem for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I know I got my Concept 2 about 3 weeks ago.  Been rowing about 2x a day, even getting up about 30 mins earlier in the morning to do a rowing session.  
I definitely feel better.  Tried doing some of the HIIT workouts and for that < 18mins, the whole body gets all kind of workout.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know I got my Concept 2 about 3 weeks ago.  Been rowing about 2x a day, even getting up about 30 mins earlier in the morning to do a rowing session.  
I definitely feel better.  Tried doing some of the HIIT workouts and for that < 18mins, the whole body gets all kind of workout.
View Quote

Outstanding.  I'm a little jealous.

If I find I stick with it, I will buy one.  I like the option of going before work or when ever it suits me.   I live in a rented room right now, so Planet Fitness is for me.  When I get back to my house that will change.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I too am a great fan of Rowing...

A few years ago a co worker got me to join a crossfit gym, and just before covid I missed a box jump and hurt my knee.  Because I was still paying for the membership, I went during the classes and rowed because it was the only exercise that didn't hurt.  Then Covid closed the gym, and I gained the covid 20.  Last Year I decided to take up a new hobby, and almost immediately injured my shoulder.  Literally a couple days after the Doctor told me I had a torn rotator cuff that required surgery, I found a Concept 2 on Craigslist for pretty cheap, and bought it because I knew I was going to be in for some rehab and the rower would help...
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Did my first 5000m and I’m dripping sweat.  Trying to work on good form, rhythm and pace.  
Also, might have to invest in a good seat cushion.  Looks like some good options on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359239/A23ED661-DC28-42FD-8D8C-E93A2DAA7412_jpe-2698132.JPG
Did my first 5000m and I’m dripping sweat.  Trying to work on good form, rhythm and pace.  
Also, might have to invest in a good seat cushion.  Looks like some good options on Amazon.
View Quote

I'm just shy of 2M meters on my Model D and 95% of them have been on the Hornet Seat Cushion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D10YY0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Outstanding workouts, fellas. Keep pushing.  

I'm considering a seat cushion for myself. If I don't sit in the exact right spot, I rub a little raw spot right at the top of my crack. It's been pretty unpleasant finding that in the shower!
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm considering a seat cushion for myself. If I don't sit in the exact right spot, I rub a little raw spot right at the top of my crack. It's been pretty unpleasant finding that in the shower!
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Getting after it early today!
Getting better, faster, very consistent.
Definitely getting the seat pad soon for my skinny ass
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I discovered this today. Pretty good, no frills videos.  It had something I'd describe like smooth jazz, with a pace in the background based on SPM.  I really like that I can hear the machine in the background. It certainly helps me.

I did nearly 6km today in 30 mins using the 24SPM vid. Felt great. #6 on the resistance knob.

Good channel
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Rowing is great.

Just got a used C2 ERG mode D for $770.

I missed having access to one all the time while I was on active duty so I finally said screw it can’t really put a price on health (well kinda can let’s say budget lol) and shopped for a good deal.

With a tight schedule and kids I can squeeze in a quick almost full body workout in a short time frame and no gym fees.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I discovered this today. Pretty good, no frills videos.  It had something I'd describe like smooth jazz, with a pace in the background based on SPM.  I really like that I can hear the machine in the background. It certainly helps me.

I did nearly 6km today in 30 mins using the 24SPM vid. Felt great. #6 on the resistance knob.

Good channel
View Quote

Definitely checking this out
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Hadn’t rowed in a few days so I got a 5k in while watching my beloved Cavs (yeah I know NBA (Nothin But Assholes))
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359239/004F10DF-D793-4A55-A51D-C46E07EFEE1E_jpe-2707752.JPG
Hadn't rowed in a few days so I got a 5k in while watching my beloved Cavs (yeah I know NBA (Nothin But Assholes))
View Quote

That's a really high stroke rate for a 2:16 split average. Have you checked out any of the Dark Horse rowing vids? He does a 5k pace vid at 20-22spm IIRC. It's a great tempo resource. Just be careful if you are following that for time, I was using it to pace a 5k and got hit with the mid-video youtube ads which threw me off big time on the whole piece.

Great row overall. And nothing wrong with watching some basketball while doing it. Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Do not search or find Viking workout music or similar searches on UToob.  DO NOT.  You will try to kill yourself rowing over an hour at 25 damn s/pm and then run out to raid & plunder the Big Lots next to the gym while screaming for glory.  I need a wolf's hide seat pad now!    Who would have thought standing on the hood of the gym bunny's BMW while screaming for all the glory of Valhalla would cause a police presence.  I just wanted to get fit, not arrested.  BRING ME THE VIRGIN PRINCESS!

I'm on my work computer, firewall prevents me from seeing tube, but here's a screenshot of just one of the offending motivations.  Don't do it.

I did find a 2 hour loop of 'Vikings' rowing a 60 oar long boat with cadence and background waves.  Played at .75 speed it matched 23/24 s/pm for me.  I'll try to rem to post a link tomorrow.  It's just been a busy weekend.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

The solution to that for me was a pair of spandex "boxer briefs" under my shorts.  Just enough slip to avoid the friction...
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#24]
This clip is pretty cool. It's a 60 oar long boat at a pretty nice cadence, with wind and water in the background. If I use their grunting, I'm in the catch at my starting point for one grunt, and then fully extended all the way up and out at the back of the stroke for the next. If I keep that rhythm, it was a mounting to about 18 strokes a minute. Resistance was all the way up.

Viking ship
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Tried a 30 minute row.  Covered 6300m and burned 360 calories.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359239/3CABEFE2-DB99-4978-B4E9-F4FBCFCA89D2_jpe-2712536.JPG
Tried a 30 minute row.  Covered 6300m and burned 360 calories.
View Quote

Very nice pace/distance covered.  Keep pulling!

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#27]
After getting into rowing on my last deployment, I just finished my first workout on my new C2. I was impressed with the one at the SOF gym we were using, I'm sure it had been beat to hell and used for years without maintenance but it was still working perfectly so I decided to get my own.

Glad I did. Felt perfectly familiar jumping on it just now.

I'm out of practice so only did 2k, but it feels good to be getting back to it

Quoted:

Do not search or find Viking workout music or similar searches on UToob.  DO NOT.  You will try to kill yourself rowing over an hour at 25 damn s/pm and then run out to raid & plunder the Big Lots next to the gym while screaming for glory.  I need a wolf's hide seat pad now!    Who would have thought standing on the hood of the gym bunny's BMW while screaming for all the glory of Valhalla would cause a police presence.  I just wanted to get fit, not arrested.  BRING ME THE VIRGIN PRINCESS!

I'm on my work computer, firewall prevents me from seeing tube, but here's a screenshot of just one of the offending motivations.  Don't do it.

I did find a 2 hour loop of 'Vikings' rowing a 60 oar long boat with cadence and background waves.  Played at .75 speed it matched 23/24 s/pm for me.  I'll try to rem to post a link tomorrow.  It's just been a busy weekend.  

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YUtrtMWPFYE/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Viking metal is my usual gym music I'll have to try using that rowing video.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Did another 30 minute row.  A little more relaxed tonight.   I was working thru some elbow pain. Still glad I got it done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After getting into rowing on my last deployment, I just finished my first workout on my new C2. I was impressed with the one at the SOF gym we were using, I'm sure it had been beat to hell and used for years without maintenance but it was still working perfectly so I decided to get my own.

Glad I did. Felt perfectly familiar jumping on it just now.

I'm out of practice so only did 2k, but it feels good to be getting back to it

Viking metal is my usual gym music I'll have to try using that rowing video.
View Quote

Welcome 'back' to it.  Welcome to the rowing thread.

Amon Amarth, "Put Your Back Into The Oar".  It's my official warm up song.  Appx 7 mins at 15-16 s/pm to get moving.

I forgot to post the clip of the actual rowing.  I'll try to rem in the morning.  I have found about a dozen vids on Tube that are some nice metal with no lyrics, I can get lost in the rhythm without the lyrics.  The one video i found hat is something like a 2 hour loop of men rowing a longboat doesn't have any music.  It's just oars, grunting, wind, and water.  I really wish I was tech savvy enough to blend that with some music.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#30]
This is the longboat rowing, no music. Again, if I adjust the playback speed, it works for me.
Real rowing

The Viking metal mix mentioned previously
Conquer!

Amon Amarth, 'Put Your Back Into The Oar'
The oar is your best friend!

Some metal, no lyrics
Zone out metal

More
Angry goodness
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I've never been on a rowing machine but I used to fish in a row boat.  Trolling lures behind the boat for trout and bass (anything really).  Just toss it out, start rowing, after enough line is out, click the reel, set it down where you can grab the rod before the fish (or tree limb/stump) drags it over the side and start rowing.  Experiment with different speeds till you find what the fish want and have a great day.

For some reason it was always relaxing.  The guys I fished with that I was crazy for not using a trolling motor but, like I said, rowing for hours was just relaxing.  Never got stiff/sore and caught some nice fish on a good day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Did my first 10k row.   Wasn’t bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Outstanding!!!  I've done some 45min runs, but fell short in that pace.

Do you have a magical time where the 'runners high' hits?  I get to about the 30ish minute mark and it goes from feeling like work to nothing at all, and after that point I can row for days.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Outstanding!!!  I've done some 45min runs, but fell short in that pace.

Do you have a magical time where the 'runners high' hits?  I get to about the 30ish minute mark and it goes from feeling like work to nothing at all, and after that point I can row for days.
View Quote

I just keep telling myself every 100 meters was 1% closer to being done.  I had a good rhythm going to most of the row.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Finally arrived!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice!  Jealous!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Did another 10k tonight
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I've already made up my mind I'm buying a Concept2 as soon as my living situation smooths out. Which hopefully won't be much longer.  I don't mind the 10 bucks a month to use the machine at planet fitness, but I live in two different places for reasons and the one place I spend some time doesn't have a gym anywhere near it.  So there's 3-4 days every 2ish weeks I don't have a machine available, and holy crap do I feel it right now. Looking forward to getting on a machine tomorrow.

This is a good motivational/conversation thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yesterday I fired up ergdata and the latest update includes some kind of virtual rowing session, called the "real time loop. I'll tinker with it today and see what it does. Right now it looks like there are 21 people online.
View Quote
seems like you can connect up with other people and have some sort of rowing sessions together.  Not terribly interesting to me.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yesterday I fired up ergdata and the latest update includes some kind of virtual rowing session, called the "real time loop. I'll tinker with it today and see what it does. Right now it looks like there are 21 people online.

ETA: here's the description. https://www.concept2.com/news/ergdata-feature-real-time-loop
View Quote
Hah that looks fun. I might hop on tomorrow and see if anyone is out there. Would be fun to do some 1k time trials against a real person.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Tonight I rowed for the 3rd time ever.

Is a 9:15 time for 2000 meter at level 5 good?
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tonight I rowed for the 3rd time ever.

Is a 9:15 time for 2000 meter at level 5 good?
View Quote

Starting  is good.  Just get going.  Work on form.  Look at youtube channels like Darkhorse Rowing or Training Tall.  Very good coaching attitude out of those channels.  One thing I ignored from the guy on Darkhorse was 'for the first 8 weeks, don't worry about pace, distance, or time.  Concentrate on form'.  I started out with a few of his beginner videos, especially what he calls 'pick workouts'.  Those videos pick apart the stroke and motion in a manner that teaches you form.  I did a few of those and thought "I'm good and was off and running".  Nope.  I am aware my form isn't solidified and I'm not reaping the most benefit I could.  I rushed the process due to enthusiasm.  I effing love that machine, so I started going longer, faster, and feeling better each time on that high, but in poor form.  

Aaaand now I have a strained rhomboid on my right side, and haven't been on the machine in a week.  Fat lot of good 10k in 45 mins did me when I can't do it right now, and prob need to take another week off yet.  

Start, just start slow.  Trust me.  Pick drills and 20 minute beginner workouts from Darkhorse for 8 weeks like the damn professional coach said to do lol.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#47]
1st week of putzing around on this thing:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Today is the first day I've had any energy after having a cold for about a week. If I jump on the rower I'll hit the real time thingy for a few laps.
View Quote

Let us know what you think. I’m a newb so jumping in with global competitors (and with zero knowledge of rowing) isn’t in the cards for me right now
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top