Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2021 11:13:46 PM EDT
Thought I would never quit. Never tried to quit, but knew I never could.

And then my 2 year old daughter came down the stairs Christmas morning, 2019. Saw the look in her eye, and kicked the can right then and there. Cold Turkey.

You can too.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm lost. What was the look in her eye?

I don't have kids.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Its hard OP. Been trying for years. It always finds its way back to me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My teenage love affair with dip lasted about an hour, when I discovered that if you swallow a mouthful of dip-spit, it's possible to vomit & ride a bicycle at the same time. At least for 50 yards or so.

Cigarettes, on the other hand, took around thirty years for me to finally put them down for good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have kids.
View Quote

Indescribable, actually.

But to be blunt, a look in your child’s face that makes you think, “huh, I’d like to not die of throat cancer in a decade, so I can be around to see my kid graduate from college and maybe someday get married.”

I hope I quit before it’s too late.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I dipped while overseas, switched to cigs when I quit dipping

Got tired of smelling like an ashtray and gave up smoking

Tobacco is hard as hell to quit, you just have to train yourself to forget you ever did it
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
HPV will be what fucks your throat  up.  The Skoal?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thought I would never quit. Never tried to quit, but knew I never could.

And then my 2 year old daughter came down the stairs Christmas morning, 2019. Saw the look in her eye, and kicked the can right then and there. Cold Turkey.

You can too.

View Quote

Was it a choice or an addiction?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HPV will be what fucks your throat  up.  The Skoal?  Not so much.
View Quote
Chewed or smoked tobacco is a large risk factor for head and neck cancers. HPV also plays a role. Irregardless of the causative agent, HN cancer treatment often leads to lifelong deficits so OP made a wise choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave copenhagen February 1st. Going strong. Not drinking anymore is definitely helping.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve dipped on and off.

It’s honestly too disgusting for me to get hooked.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Choice to start, addicted for 18 years, and a choice to quit.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Last time I tried dip I turned a perfectly nice barn wall into a vomit painting.

Now I can barely be in the same room as an open dip can without gagging.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
...none of that pussy Skoal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Been dipping since I was 14. Still here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Disgusting habit
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Straight Skoal user for four years.  One morning I got out of bed and decided no more chew. Stopped right then and there, cold turkey.  That was 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Way to go OP.  I used to smoke many many years ago.  I'm glad I quit.  It gave me nothing and one day it probably would have taken something from me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it was a choice?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Great job OP.  Hardest part is making a decision to stop.  Remember...the urge to have a dip is just a thought...you don't have to act on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last time I tried dip I turned a perfectly nice barn wall into a vomit painting.

Now I can barely be in the same room as an open dip can without gagging.
View Quote

My first dip got me wasted. My second dip (an hour later) got my sick as fuck.

I was 17 and had never even had a full beer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I dipped for 8 years. Quit 4 years ago. It’s really easy to quit. Just don’t dip again
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So it was a choice?
View Quote

Yeah.

I don’t know what you are trying to get at. I was too young and dumb at 17yo to know it was a terrible choice to try it, but it was a choice nonetheless.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quit my son started spitting thinking he was like dad.

Going on two years, still crave it now and again but all good.

I had a real rough week so a tried a Xanax. Felt just like taking a fat dap would.Man I miss it

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Switched from Copenhagen to Swedish Snus about 5 years ago.  I don't think it is any better, but I don't get sores anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Copenhagen truly does satisfy. Man, I love a fresh can and a pinch when driving. Unfortunately, I like my teeth, gums, and lack of oral cancer more.

Finished a can, convinced myself that I had better uses for $5 a day and haven't dipped in almost a decade.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My teenage love affair with dip lasted about an hour, when I discovered that if you swallow a mouthful of dip-spit, it's possible to vomit & ride a bicycle at the same time. At least for 50 yards or so.

Cigarettes, on the other hand, took around thirty years for me to finally put them down for good.
View Quote

It's the opposite for me. Cigarettes made me dizzy and nauseous but I've been gutting dip for 20 years. I do need to stop.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Switched from Copenhagen to Swedish Snus about 5 years ago.  I don't think it is any better, but I don't get sores anymore.
View Quote

I think it's definitely less toxic. That's how I eased into finally quiting. Straight dip all day - Snus all day - Snus four of five a day - Nicotine gum - regular gum.

Cold Turkey wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been using that zyn pouch stuff.

Satisfies my nicotine cravings, I haven't bought tobacco for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
It took me several attempts but I finally beat the Cope habit. Been Cope Free for about 7 years.  I did it by putting a Nicorette mint between my cheek and gum instead of a dip.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chewed or smoked tobacco is a large risk factor for head and neck cancers. HPV also plays a role. Irregardless of the causative agent, HN cancer treatment often leads to lifelong deficits so OP made a wise choice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I quit smoking about 10 years ago.  I have a 10 year old kid.  You did the right thing.  Cold turkey for me too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Me too dipped for 19 years and quit cold chicken. Thought it would be the most miserable experience ever. It wasn’t bad. Did the dip packets for a few months prior to quitting because of my job at the time, but I think they helped me. Went to sunflower seeds and gum when I quit and all was well. You can do it too gents.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been dipping Copenhagen on and off since I was 17 years old. My longest stretch without was 5 years. Next month makes 3 years without this time. I fight the urge everyday and it doesn't help that one of my coworkers dips two cans a day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Dipped Skoal mint for 10 years. Quit 12 years ago. Still have dreams were I am dipping.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Chewed different brands for decades. Took my heart trying to explode to finally stop cold turkey.  Fuck that shit!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't have kids.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Started on Copenhagen when I was 17
Can a day for 5 years .Gave it  up the day I noticed a hole in my lip . Started smoking instead . Need to kick that one now .

My Grandpa has chewed since he was 11 ( 78 now ) . Hes chewed a can of Copenhagen a day for as long as I can remember .
I can honestly say I have Never seen him spit . He guts that shit like a champ . Still has all his teeth , no throat , gum , stomach problems .
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think it's definitely less toxic. That's how I eased into finally quiting. Straight dip all day - Snus all day - Snus four of five a day - Nicotine gum - regular gum.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have noticed odd things since switching over.  I don't dip on my weekends.  It is almost like dipping is exclusively a work related habit. Work related stress spikes it.

The higher my caffeine intake, the higher my snus. Oddly, when I drink I don't use tobacco since I quit smoking in my mid 20's.

I have tried the Zyn route and it oddly makes me nauseous.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#39]
When I saw my six month old son try to spit into the sink I decided to quit. That turkey was cold and hard but I figured out the only way to quit was a decision. You have to want to not do it more than you want to do it. That is the only way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Dipped for many years started years ago in the Army.  Stopped for years then started back for 6 years finally broke out in hives.  I just gave up the Cope but I loved it a bunch.  My buddies Dad died of throat cancer and grandma died of throat cancer she smoked for 50 years.  Please quit for your family and yourself.  That look in your kids eyes is love for you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Gotta keep that skoal, baby
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I’m off the stuff ( Skoal, Cope, Penns Clippings, Elephant Butts ) for over a year.

I did it for over 40 years. Still have strong cravings from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Well done, I started with chewing tobacco around 15 which eventually progressed to a can of Copenhagen a day almost 20 years later. Then a good friend got throat cancer (not tobacco related) and it scared me enough to go from that can a day 20 year habit to zero in about two weeks. 6 years later I’m glad I quit, but I won’t lie there’s still days I’d love a dip.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Good friend of mine dipped for 30 years and never smoked. Was diagnosed last month with stage 4 esophageal and is currently undergoing chemo. He'll never know for sure but it seems likely there may be a connection. Glad I quit chewing along time ago.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m off the stuff ( Skoal, Cope, Penns Clippings, Elephant Butts ) for over a year.

I did it for over 40 years. Still have strong cravings from time to time.
View Quote

How?  Can lasts me 3-4 days.  30 years on and off.  Did you go cold turkey?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll throw in a pinch occasionally while hunting. It's never been more than that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Glad to see Troutman is still posting nonsense, some things never change...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Good for you op. I kicked smoking after 22 years. Vaping was what helped me finally do it. Much to arfcoms shagrin

Fun story about dipping.

I was on Trident submarines when I served.

We try to buy everything we need for a whole patrol but inevitably we run out. Or share too much or whatever.

We really count on that one and only port call during patrol to reup

So when we had to stay out for like 97 days straight it got pretty bad.

These dudes were recycling dip and sharing it with each other. They would re dip that shit till it was almost white there was nothing left. Not even kidding. One torpedo man would take his fucking dip out, hand it to the reliving watch. Where he would insert it right the fuck in there

They did this for weeks until the last remaining dip was exhausted

When that dried up they used tea just to have something in their lip.

When that ran out they were just mean as fuck until luckily, a chief was transferred on small boat about 3 days from shore.

He brought one roll

These guys divided it out old sailor style. Calculated exactly how much each man NEEDED per watch to make it through.

True brotherhood incarnate.

Meanwhile us smokers had rolling papers and plenty of shorts to survive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How?  Can lasts me 3-4 days.  30 years on and off.  Did you go cold turkey?
View Quote

Cold turkey basically. Got a new hip February 2020. Couldn’t drive for 7 weeks. Wife refused to get me my ‘fix’. She’s a reformed smoker.
Oh I had tried for years this way just worked. Still though there are times.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top