Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
we opened a tunnel car wash this year, it had been something I wanted to do on this property since 1987(since before there was any car wash in town)

it opened right when covid hit...and its been making money ever since.  

cost to build, including land was about 2.5mil.

we also don't do a damn thing, we did a joint venture(50/50) with a larger local car wash, so they run it, service it and sell the equipment that went in it.

today we did 298 cars  

Id love to do a laundromat, believe it or not there is not one in town because the cost of city water and how they calculate the fee's is astronomical....yet the car wash was no issue

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I like your channel and I'm always wondering how the ghetto goblins are going to throw a wrench into your latest ventures.  

Is the carwash revenue fairly consistent week to week?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing like washing your car with recycled water and a broom that every other tom dick and harry washed their car with. Imagine what's embedded in the fibers of that brush that you're washing your car with?

Fine if you dont give a shit about your car.
View Quote

Who the hell uses the brush on their paint?

That's for wheels and tires only.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been in the business since 92, full time since 2001.   I own self serves and in bay automatics. It's alright.

A new SS/auto wash probably starts at about 800K and can run 1.5m. Used car washes can often be purchased for much less than the cost of new construction and are usually a better value if they have potential.

The big money is in the express tunnels. But those projects are now running 3-5 million and everyone is stepping on each other toes. The big push in that segment is club memberships, just like gyms.

OP, pm if you need some assistance.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
we opened a tunnel car wash this year, it had been something I wanted to do on this property since 1987(since before there was any car wash in town)

we also don't do a damn thing, we did a joint venture(50/50) with a larger local car wash, so they run it, service it and sell the equipment that went in it.

today we did 298 cars  

Id love to do a laundromat, believe it or not there is not one in town because the cost of city water and how they calculate the fee's is astronomical....yet the car wash was no issue

View Quote

Do a laundromat,car wash,green house...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
My dad did a car wash for a few years... he turned a profit but the place was a maintenance nightmare and the number of times elderly people got themselves jammed up in the works of the auto wash bay was hilarious. Anyway, he got sick of it, sold out and retired.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you like your car, never use a carwash. Highly corrosive chemicals and abrasive filled brushes will destroy your vehicle.

View Quote

My 20 year old F250 says you're wrong.  Probably been washed close to five thousand times while testing equipment, and still looks very good for it's age.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My 20 year old F250 says you're wrong.  Probably been washed close to five thousand times while testing equipment, and still looks very good for it's age.

View Quote

Here’s a photo of your paint Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A modern car wash that will bring repeat customers will run about $180,000. Then you need property and a building with the proper utilities. Keeping an old wash going gets expensive and the failures will destroy customer base.

If you like your car, never use a carwash. Highly corrosive chemicals and abrasive filled brushes will destroy your vehicle.

Road salt is best left alone until the it can be thoroughly cleaned and flushed from all of the hidden areas of the body and frame. Running a salty car through a car wash only liquifies the salt and pushes it further into the sheet metal joints and/or frame.
View Quote

Oh, good grief.

I just don't believe what you're peddling here in that last sentence. I guess it's potentially credible that the brushes get dirty... but I spray the brush before it hits my car.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a photo of your paint https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179056/B9440F7D-42E7-4F8D-865A-65A1356AC8A1_jpe-1834565.JPG
99% of people don't give a shit.

I don't, I am just trying to keep the salt off my truck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@shockergd  I’m going to need to know where yours are.  I’d rather patronize Arfcom members than anyone else.
View Quote

Pickaway county
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Username?
View Quote

Same as the YouTube video.

Quickly approaching 2m subs on tiktok
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a friend who owned 3 small car washes. He sold the land under 2 of them to developers and sold the 3rd outright and now owns a self storage place.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]
working on RV storage, then mini storage.....then maybe a green house

Quoted:

Do a laundromat,car wash,green house...
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same as the YouTube video.

Quickly approaching 2m subs on tiktok
View Quote

screw the carwash, tell us how to make money on tiktok!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's the way that people that have a job think. They're in the real world of business there are so many tax write-offs, grants, exemptions, and methods to limit your tax liability only an idiot would look at the cash Revenue and not want to install credit card readers which would expand the customer base and add 50% to the sales.

Now you tell me do you want $75,000 tax free or pay 15% on $200,000 and when it comes time to sell you have clean books and can sell that extra margin for 5 times multiplier?

That's $75,000 cash income is going to cost you between half-a-million $1000000 down the road and lost equity. Equity you can tap into any time if you know what a bank wants
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you install that CC reader you will never be able to avoid paying taxes.

That's the way that people that have a job think. They're in the real world of business there are so many tax write-offs, grants, exemptions, and methods to limit your tax liability only an idiot would look at the cash Revenue and not want to install credit card readers which would expand the customer base and add 50% to the sales.

Now you tell me do you want $75,000 tax free or pay 15% on $200,000 and when it comes time to sell you have clean books and can sell that extra margin for 5 times multiplier?

That's $75,000 cash income is going to cost you between half-a-million $1000000 down the road and lost equity. Equity you can tap into any time if you know what a bank wants

Two reasons I avoid car washes.

Cash only

Long line.

If there no line at the local one I'd go twice a month
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

today we did 298 cars  

View Quote

It's not in stanwood. Is it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]
$5 bill in your $1 bill stack at 12:40.

nvm, been covered.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$5 bill in your $1 bill stack at 12:40.
View Quote

And a brilliant move on his part.  You know how many fuckers commented on his YT video thinking they'd "caught" that?  You've been had ;)

OP, good vid, if oriented for the poor a little.  It didn't seem like it made that much? $400 in 1.5 days? That's $97K per year for an asset you paid $675K for.  Ehh idk.  Maybe that is good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#21]
nevermind
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sweet fedora!  The coin collection doors don’t weigh 35 lbs.  Otherwise great video. I’ve been thinking of businesses to buy - self storage, car wash, etc.  Great  info.    

I’m a financial planner and have a client that owns 15 full service car washes and just sold them for almost $100 million to a private equity firm. Unbelievable how much money some of these can make.
View Quote

Country Club?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My aunt owns two DIY car washes in AZ, she hasn't made any significant money off of them since AZ made it much more difficult for illegals in that state and her clientele dropped off. She and my uncle bought them in the early 80s, it's just a matter of time until she just shutters them and sells the land.

Kharn
View Quote

Lolwut
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Methlamine? Sounds like someone has gone Breaking Bad...Heisenberg hat and all.

https://i.imgur.com/blipqll.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a photo of your paint https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179056/B9440F7D-42E7-4F8D-865A-65A1356AC8A1_jpe-1834565.JPG

That is what my paint turned into just after a few months of an automatic car wash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Based on what I have seen, if you open a car wash in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, you will always have customers.  I'm talking lines out to the street on any day over 32o when it isn't raining.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#27]
What’s in the spot free rinse?

Is it a rip off, because I feel like it’s a rip off
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a carwash a couple years back. It was $3M on leased land.  I should have it paid off by 5 years if I don’t sell before that.
The industry is being consolidated by a few big players. I have people asking to buy frequently.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And a brilliant move on his part.  You know how many fuckers commented on his YT video thinking they'd "caught" that?  You've been had ;)

OP, good vid, if oriented for the poor a little.  It didn't seem like it made that much? $400 in 1.5 days? That's $97K per year for an asset you paid $675K for.  Ehh idk.  Maybe that is good.
View Quote

Taxes, how do they work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:11:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Doesn't seem to be a problem around my place in Ohio.

But people generally don't use them when it's that cold because you just end up with soapy ice on your vehicle.
View Quote

If your vehicle isn't clean and dry by the time you exit the wash, find a new wash. I go through the wash below freezing all the time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Taxes, how do they work?
View Quote

True maintenance costs, how do they work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#32]
So what is the average profit per week/month/year on a car wash?

It would generally depend on area, but what is the profit after all expenses/insurance/mortgage/etc?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#33]
How much illicit gains are you laundering through it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you install that CC reader you will never be able to avoid paying taxes.

It’s all a question of if you want an instant reward on your investment or not.

I’d put the CC reader in personally. Your overhead is fixed for the mist part and you’re gonna pass through the cost of materials. The whole goal is to make money. Yeah you’re gonna pay taxes buy like you say you’re also building equity.

Everyone knows what it takes to get into a briskness but most never think about what it takes to get out. You’ll have a hard time selling a losing business at the end to someone that is likely going to need financing to purchase it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I said 'drive thru', it should've been 'drive in'. It was a very basic drive in, stop, wash cycle and drive out deal for $100k. Those fancy new car washes with LED lights would probably set you back $250k, then you have to have at least 10 vacuum bays, preferably 12. I'm guessing it would cost upwards of $1M to build from scratch depending on the cost of the real estate. Of course, if do like OP and find one in distress....profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of the how much more money that same car wash would make in Florida or a southern state. I looked into a car wash about seven years back, a single drive thru automatic car wash cost $100k and that was not including infrastructure. The top of the line car wash with all the bells and whistles was around $200k.

That's not bad. Now I'm interested.

I said 'drive thru', it should've been 'drive in'. It was a very basic drive in, stop, wash cycle and drive out deal for $100k. Those fancy new car washes with LED lights would probably set you back $250k, then you have to have at least 10 vacuum bays, preferably 12. I'm guessing it would cost upwards of $1M to build from scratch depending on the cost of the real estate. Of course, if do like OP and find one in distress....profit.

I have a friend that owns a half dozen of the fully automated drive through washes. Depending on the
land cost it's between 1.1 and 1.3M for the build out. Roughly 25% down to finance. It'll pay itself
completely off in 4-5 years if you don't take any salary.

His big thing is monthly subscriptions for unlimited washes. It's cheap enough to
run a car through the system that even if you washed your car every single
day of the month he still makes a couple of bucks off you....

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cat Pumps are awesome.. super dependable and parts availability is good..

Good luck in your endeavor..

View Quote

I bought a new pressure washer late last year and have yet to use it. After much research; I went with the "buy once, cry once" M.O.. I bought a unit with a Honda engine and Cat pump. Hopefully it is a good notch above my old "homeowner grade" machine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You aunt has sustained upside down businesses for 40 years? Yeah ok.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My aunt owns two DIY car washes in AZ, she hasn't made any significant money off of them since AZ made it much more difficult for illegals in that state and her clientele dropped off. She and my uncle bought them in the early 80s, it's just a matter of time until she just shutters them and sells the land.

Kharn

You aunt has sustained upside down businesses for 40 years? Yeah ok.....

"Any significant money" does not mean they're in the red, she's making a ton less money (adjusted for inflation, etc) than they were back in the 80s to 2010 (had to look it up, the law was SB1070) when AZ made it a requirement for non-citizens to carry their immigration papers at all times as their locations are in the hispanic ghetto. They were my deceased uncle's business, she had a 9-5 job until she was laid off at ~60yo, so they were living quite well. Now she's unwilling to walk away from the businesses for only the value of the land as no one wants to buy them, and they're only thing she has connecting her to the area.

Her kids did push her to close down a coin-op laundromat that was losing money for 2+ years and moved all the machines to one of their apartment buildings in another state, as she couldn't push and pull the aging machines by herself anymore and was spending more and more money on repairmen.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Based on what I have seen, if you open a car wash in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, you will always have customers.  I'm talking lines out to the street on any day over 32o when it isn't raining.
View Quote

I concur. I know such a place that also has check cashing, Western Union and phone cards in the same building, not sure if the same owner.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Pickaway county
View Quote
I thought so.  My grandparents used to live in the condos on the other side of the grocery store.  Helped them wash their car here a few times.  Thought it looked familiar.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that’s my paint after 20 years in NE Ohio I’ll be damn happy.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What’s in the spot free rinse?

Is it a rip off, because I feel like it’s a rip off
View Quote

water purified by reverse osmosis system- should have less thgan 25ppm total dissolved solids and as a result doesn't spot. A lot of shit car washes don't maintain their systems though. Use it to rinse the "tap" water off your vehicles
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I bought a new pressure washer late last year and have yet to use it. After much research; I went with the "buy once, cry once" M.O.. I bought a unit with a Honda engine and Cat pump. Hopefully it is a good notch above my old "homeowner grade" machine.
View Quote

Don't run it dry or let it run long without water flow. If you do that the pump will easily outlast the engine.

I've got twenty year old cat pumps that work every day-probably have 10k hours on them or more
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#45]
i'm going to flash my butt at the op's car wash cameras next time i am in circleville
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what gun are you carrying when you pickup the money?

View Quote

I looked at a local wash that was for sale.  The owner had been shot and killed by some thief while he was emptying the cash machines.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#47]
That’s the way to go.

MINIMAL EMPLOYEE OVERHEAD

I was a 1/2 owner of a full service car wash about 25 years ago. Had about 10-15 full time employees. Car wash employees are generally pit bull owners with neck tattoos so keeping a full staff was hard to do between employee drug binges, DUI’s and jail time.

Labor and everything that goes into labor costs pretty much kept that car wash operating on life support. If we didn’t have all the labor costs then it would have been a nice business.

Great video. Best of luck to you. You were extremely smart to buy that set up vs a full service.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That is what my paint turned into just after a few months of an automatic car wash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's why I always buy white work trucks. The swirls are there but you can't see them. I'll hand wash the cars but I like to drive a clean truck too, it takes too long to do a truck by hand
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nothing like washing your car with recycled water and a broom that every other tom dick and harry washed their car with. Imagine what's embedded in the fibers of that brush that you're washing your car with?

Fine if you dont give a shit about your car.
View Quote

OP isn’t in the show room finish business.  There is a market segment for this type of business and the OP has elected to fill that segment. He didn’t purchase this expecting to run Bugatti’s through it.

For every guy that gives a shit about his cars paint there is a wife/ significant other that doesn’t give a shit about the paint and will gladly feed $$$ into that automatic bay.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Pink Elephant in Gig Harbor.

someone asked about cash, we do very very little cash, its mostly CC and subscription, there are 2 automated Kiosks that take payment.  

depending on the weather, we will have 1(if its winter and a rainy day), 2 or maybe 3 attentends, they are really just there to do the pre wash before it rolls thru the tunnel

Quoted:

It's not in stanwood. Is it?
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top