Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2022 3:05:16 PM EDT
I see some people\videos say use a step drill bit. Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00126J1PG?tag=arfcom00-20

.....but can those be used in a standard junky harbor freight drill? I don't own a drill press.

Or should I use something like this cobalt drill bit?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B0326OE?tag=arfcom00-20;pd_rd_w=XMLZf&pf_rd_p=5fe95cd4-8512-42fa-bf21-63d83b898785&pf_rd_r=NXMW8EZFK2X87QVPBP7N&pd_rd_r=c7b8ebdd-397d-4d88-8e07-a6ac0887de7d&pd_rd_wg=x3Nwk&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Thanks in advanced for any thoughts or suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
A step bit is fine.

Ive used a dewalt drill index for years also.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Drill-Metal-29-Piece-DW1969/dp/B0000683DM

Its nice to have both.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The step bit will work, but you can buy the Harbor Freight version and be fine (and save $40)
Those Cobalts should last a lifetime, if properly cared for. 135* spilt point Cobalt is gonna tear through some steel
The Dewalts are nice, but, once you burn that pilot bit, a novice isn't going to be able to sharpen them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gents!

I will pop down to HF and try their step bits.

Regards!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Get all three of their sizes. You’ll be surprised how much you use them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get all three of their sizes. You'll be surprised how much you use them.
View Quote

Gotcha! Will do!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Use cutting oil, (most any oil will do)
Bit will last longer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You didn't say what size hole you'd like to drill and how many.

For just a couple smaller holes a decent twist bit does really well if you put a doubled up piece of cloth between it and the material.   Unibits are a good choice but I have bad luck with the HF ones.  Look on amazon for NEIKO or TEMO. Much better bit for the money.

WARNING.   Small pieces of sheet metal are a real hazard to drill freehand.  Don't attempt to hold it in your hand while drilling.  you will hurt yourself.  put a scrap piece of wood behind it (if using a twist drill) or overhang / clamp it to a workbench
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

WARNING.   Small pieces of sheet metal are a real hazard to drill freehand.  Don't attempt to hold it in your hand while drilling.  you will hurt yourself.  put a scrap piece of wood behind it (if using a twist drill) or overhang / clamp it to a workbench
View Quote
Can confirm!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You didn't say what size hole you'd like to drill and how many.

For just a couple smaller holes a decent twist bit does really well if you put a doubled up piece of cloth between it and the material.   Unibits are a good choice but I have bad luck with the HF ones.  Look on amazon for NEIKO or TEMO. Much better bit for the money.

View Quote

I want to drill a few (3) holes in this piece of exercise equipment. Plan will require a hole on each side on metal upright so I can insert a clevis pin in order to keep the leg support piece from coming up during use.

Hole will be less than 1\2 inches in diameter.

I am thinking that if I weigh the machine down and secure it as best I can, drilling will go smoothly. The piece is about 250 lbs.

You can see the red dots here on the image where I want to drill the holes. The other is the pin I want to insert through the hole

*And thanks for the tip on the oil

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Had several pieces of 4 1/2 and 2 3/8 pipe I needed to drill into.  I used brand new Dewalt Cobalt bits which dulled quickly.  I ended up buying g a few HF cheap 1/8 bits and a couple HF step bits.  Using wd40 I was able to drill every hole needed.  

Just go slow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
@mikepiet

Easy as pie

You're good to drill it with a standard twist drill or a uniBit.   Don't try to drill one side and then pus thru to the other.  Drill one side,,,  more around and drill the other.

If it was me I'd measure and mark it out with a sharp pencil on both sides.  Light center punch and drill with whatever is handy.   Wouldn't worry about oil myself but definitely couldn't hurt.

Keep good pressure on the drill and don't go balls to the wall on speed once it starts really cutting.    Don't be a goob and put your hand directly behind where you're cutting especially when working on the second side.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@mikepiet

Easy as pie

You're good to drill it with a standard twist drill or a uniBit.   Don't try to drill one side and then pus thru to the other.  Drill one side,,,  more around and drill the other.

If it was me I'd measure and mark it out with a sharp pencil on both sides.  Light center punch and drill with whatever is handy.   Wouldn't worry about oil myself but definitely couldn't hurt.

Keep good pressure on the drill and don't go balls to the wall on speed once it starts really cutting.    Don't be a goob and put your hand directly behind where you're cutting especially when working on the second side.

View Quote

Great! I will try the uni step bit. Great tip about coming in both sides. I will be safe for sure!

Thanks for posting! It's greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I had to drill about 100  11/16 holes in 1/8 steel

I watched a video testing a lot of step bits and these came out on top.

Use cutting fluid

Step bit set

They tested for durability and cutting speed.  After drilling the holes and using a lot of bits in the past, I agree with their assessment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Use cutting fluid.  WD40 is ok for aluminum but for steel lubricating the bit with oil works wonders. Regular automotive oil works, but a high sulfur cutting oil works better.

Drilling dry is louder, more difficult, and harder on the drill bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top