BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/18/2019 7:23:43 PM EDT
Where should I start? Pearl? C++? C#?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with C++. There are a lot of great resources and tutorials.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
All I know is if you type in #learntocode on social media you're literally Hitler, so don't do that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What's your endgame?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your endgame?
View Quote
Software developer as a career.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Python without a doubt.

You can learn pure scripting and logging, you can learn multi threaded object oriented coding, and analytics/data science with different libraries.

It also requires proper spacing which helps enforce clean code instead of the shit pile some C++ guys use.

Python is also the most valuable and sought after language right now.

But don't take it from me, I'm just a software engineer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your endgame?
Python, Java and c++ great places to start.  Cloud always needs python.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Python without a doubt.

You can learn pure scripting and logging, you can learn multi threaded object oriented coding, and analytics/data science with different libraries.

It also requires proper spacing which helps enforce clean code instead of the shit pile some C++ guys use.

View Quote
That's what I've been reading, that Python is very sought after.

And it's supposed to be a good beginner language too? At least that's what I heard before.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Start by shoving an ice-pick into your eye.  It gets less painful from there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Python without a doubt.

View Quote
This.   But I am biased.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
How do people of today even know about Perl?

I say golang
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
C#

would be my recommendation but there is really no right or wrong answer

Software developer here
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This.   But I am biased.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Python without a doubt.

This.   But I am biased.
Username / Avatar check out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some days I'd rather have the ice pick

I'm a backend programmer so mostly services written in C# and Delphi.

I hate web development with a passion.

I have done RPG, COBOL, C++, VB .NET, and a few others but I prefer C#.

I have no interest in scripting languages like Perl and Python.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Typical learning path is something like HTML+CSS, then VB.net, then something like C/C++/C#...Basically something like markup language, scripting language, object oriented language, and somewhere in there working with relational and non-relational databases. But if you already know what part of the software development stack or want to be a full stack it wont hurt too much to focus on what excites you the most to start and see if you like it.

Be warned, lots of H1Bs in software development... esp Java coders.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]
COBOL

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]
assembler

Lord I hated it
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Python or Java if you want to get a good job in software engineering.

C++ is dated and C# is used by about 4 people.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]
What kind of software engineering do you want to do?

SOA, SaaS/websites, embedded systems, big data, robotics, ... ?

Generally speaking I agree that C++ is a great starting point as you'll see a lot of C-like syntax and patterns in other languages. You wouldn't be wasting time learning Python, though.

One thing I'd stress is to focus on the language and understanding flow, scope, compilation, error throwing/catching, classes and instances, memory leak pitfalls (and how to avoid them)... computer science principles. I wouldn't start by learning a framework of library. So, for example, if you decide to go with Python for Service Oriented Architecture/SaaS, learn Python - not something like Django. Similar idea with stuff like Javascript: learn the language, not jQuery or React/JSX.

Stackoverflow.com is your friend - 14 years of software engineering here, and it's like an ARFCOM for coding, sans dinner pics/bean and no bean arguments

There are many different places and languages with which to start. Feel free to IM if I can elaborate on anything.

ETA:

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your endgame?
Have you ever written code?

Are you looking to learn development to help your current career at your current employer? Or do you have a job now and are looking to do something else?

What types of work are you looking to do? What do you want to develop? What interests you?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#21]
This is funny as hell
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And it's supposed to be a good beginner language too? At least that's what I heard before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Python without a doubt.

Its still C like (many libraries are written in C/C++), but it doesn't have the complexity of compiling the same way other languages do.

Therefore you learn faster because instead of dicking around with compilation issues, you can get your code done quickly and revise as needed.

Python is very different from when I first started with it about 20 or so years ago, but its very welcoming. Also if you have an embedded kick there's even MicroPython for embedded projects, but you can run native Python on raspberry pi projects.

No idea what you wanna do but the possibilities are endless.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Some days I'd rather have the ice pick

I'm a backend programmer so mostly services written in C# and Delphi.

I hate web development with a passion.

I have done RPG, COBOL, C++, VB .NET, and a few others but I prefer C#.

I have no interest in scripting languages like Perl and Python.
My rarely used emoticon:

What do you think C# can do that Python can't? I'm very curious.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you looking to learn development to help your current career at your current employer? Or do you have a job now and are looking to do something else?

What types of work are you looking to do? What do you want to develop? What interests you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your endgame?

I was thinking maybe software develop for the defense department. I am a veteran and figured that might help. But I've tempered that idea with that it might force me to move to a Non-gun friendly State.

Robotics is something I'm definitely interested in; in that regard too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#24]
look into FPGA and VHDL \ verilog
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
The good news is that there are a lot of good resources out there where you can learn coding for free.  If you don't mind paying a few bucks, Udemy also has good programming classes for beginners that only cost about $12/class on sale.  W3schools has some good introductory references for free as well.

If you "visually oriented" and want to see something you can see, use HTML, CSS and Javascript to build web pages.   You can start with simple HTML, then add CSS and then front-end Javascript.  Once you've got that down, you can add back-end Javascript.

Python or Ruby would also be good choices with lots of free resources.

BTW, you should NOT expect to pay for any compiler or IDE -- there are lots of good free ones.

I would avoid  C, C++, C#  or Java at first -- these languages are a lot more "formal" and are harder to learn.

You may even want to spend a month playing with HTML/CSS/Javascript, a month playing with Python and  a month playing with Ruby.  After that, spend more time on whichever one you found made the most sense to you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are some places looking for that, from experienced developers.  If you want to make money then stick with the Microsoft based technologies.  They pay the most and are in the most demand.

C# would your starting point.  Look into the .NET Core 2.2 Framework as a starting point.  Knowing C# doesn't mean anything, it is just a language not a platform.  You need experience that shows you understand a platform.  You can use C# with classic ASP.NET sites, MVC sites, and .NET Core sites.  Only one of those technologies will be relevant in 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
How old are you?  If you have visible gray hair, don't bother.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where should I start? Pearl? C++? C#?
View Quote
Download unity and learn c#. You can walk land a job knowing just those.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#29]
The trick to coding is developing the mindset and logical thought processes.  As a programmer you'll end up using whatever is required for the job and switching between languages will be necessary during various portions of your career.  I currently use VB.Net and PHP because we have servers that require both.  (I'm not writing compiled programs.)  At some point, we'll require something else.  In the past, I was doing Perl and other languages.  If I was presented with new language X, I would be up to speed in no time if needed because I understand the logical process of programming.  Syntax can be googled.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, 37
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are a veteran, these guy may help:  Vets Who Code
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong about the c++ and c#
Both are HEAVILY used for Microsoft apps
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Python would not be a bad starting point I don't think.

Really, you should look at what languages / tools are in demand in the area you want to work in and perhaps let that guide which direction you go.  It varies by region and market, and even down to business sector.  Develop skills that people are actually looking for = much higher probability of getting hired to a job you want.

I would say work on more than a passing familiarity with at least one database system as well.  This is an area where I've found many newer developers to be lacking.  If you're going somewhere that doesn't have a dedicated local DBA staff, or even if, that can be very useful if not a deciding point on a resume.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Python will probably get you the most mileage in the least amount of time, but (keep reading - time is relative) if you're considering a career change at 37, be forewarned that you're going to have a tough go at it. Basically (especially if you don't have a CS degree) expect to make a fuck ton less than you do right now for the next couple few years. You're not going to make real money until you've got a hell of a track record of professional accomplishments under your belt.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Read up on Agile methodology, it will come up in interviews.  Throw out a little Kanban Broad here, scrum master there, limits and slack, equate waterfall with something stinky in your shoe and you're golden.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife said ABAP but she's biased and is almost always looking for good workers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Read up on Agile methodology, it will come up in interviews.  Throw out a little Kanban Broad here, scrum master there, limits and slack, equate waterfall with something stinky in your shoe and you're golden.
View Quote

Very true. Namely the stinky part. People will love you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My wife said ABAP but she's biased and is almost always looking for good workers.
View Quote
I dabble in ABAP but I also know when to stay out of the left lane. Functional support seems to be a better approach.

Programming always seems like a tough path.   I have near-shore programmers that range from rock stars to rock and bill for less than $80/hr and probably take home a quarter of that.  Our onshore programmers have near god-like abilities for 3x the price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Am I the only one that doesn’t know what writing code is? And how you can make a living at it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Spark/Scala/Java is the combination that is most sought-after in my AO.  Big Data is big.  I think Java or Python would be the most versatile in terms of job opportunities.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Really? I did ABAP/Basis for a while, along with FI/GL/CO/PA/PM/QA configuration and it was all headed offshore when I migrated out. Is there really a domestic demand these days?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that doesn't know what writing code is? And how you can make a living at it?
View Quote
Probably not.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Why not jump on Lynda.com (Linked In Learning), pick up a free month and spend an hour with each one and see what you like. Add Python to the list.

Also ... if you're an adult and you haven't coded anything yet, well you're not a coder. You can't just wake up one day and see people making money writing code and decide to be a coder. It's like a kid with Parkinson's who wants to be welder. You either got it in your blood or you don't. If you do, it'd have spilled out already.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your endgame?
Take Harvard's Intro to Comp Sci online!

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Polyglot. Learn multiple languages and multiple frameworks. Then you can go anywhere, do anything, and get that salary bump every jump at six months.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m a software engineer in a big tech city. There’s comparably far fewer C# jobs in bigger job markets and often way, way less C++ unless you’re doing embedded stuff which, at least here, is becoming more and more rare. I work at a shop that does a lot of embedded work and we have a hard time finding the few C++ devs we need because of it’s dated nature and the lack of people learning it due to that. C# has been declining in every survey I’ve seen YoY for a while now.

Admittedly this is a bit market specific, but Java is King and is so dominant in so many language surveys for this reason.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Really? I did ABAP/Basis for a while, along with FI/GL/CO/PA/PM/QA configuration and it was all headed offshore when I migrated out. Is there really a domestic demand these days?
View Quote
Government worker so under paid but there are contractors much better compensated. She's app support but finding someone that knows the system well is difficult to find. She interviews a lot of people and will be able hiring more here at some point and says you're probably lying like the rest of em Half kidding but she hears it on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your endgame?
Learn to play the guitar instead. It's more likely that you could become Eddie VanHalen
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that doesn’t know what writing code is? And how you can make a living at it?
View Quote
It's shorthand based on a logical flow of information that makes computers do things.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Learn Python and then get familiar with one of the in demand data models like YANG and go make bank automating people out of a job.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top