Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2022 12:47:44 AM EDT
Kotlin is commonly thought of as a way to write Android apps, but you can also target:

1. Plain Java
2. JavaScript
3. Native

So I'm working on a Kotlin/Multiplatform library that lets Kotlin developers have UTF encoding/decoding capabilities in Kotlin code that can run on any of these targets.

https://github.com/wswartzendruber/unikode/tree/main/unikode/src/commonMain/kotlin

Now...my brain is thoroughly fried.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the motivation to build this?

Isn't there already something in the standard Java libraries or Kotlin to do character encoding?

What does this do that the standard libraries don't?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The Kotlin/Multiplatform API is a very, very small subset of the larger Java or JS APIs.

A component targeting the JVM gets access to the full Java API. A component targeting JS gets full access to Node (or whatever). But a library meant to run on all of them gets the bare-bones Kotlin/Multiplatform API. And that basically includes basic types, collections, and nothing else.

What I ultimately want to do is build a standard library for Kotlin/Multiplatform. For things like file and network I/O. Character encoding is going to be a part of that. After all, why shouldn't Kotlin/Multiplatform libraries be able to deal with I/O?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I had forgotten how truly bletcherous Java is/can be. Keep fighting the good fight OP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I'm going back to my motor control software in C.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had forgotten how truly bletcherous Java is/can be. Keep fighting the good fight OP.
View Quote

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top