Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2022 7:49:45 AM EDT
First, for those looking to improve your physical condition and performance I highly recommend the Huberman Lab Podcast.  Dr Andrew Huberman goes in depth, but still at an understandable level, on the science of the human body, and makes applicable recommendations to the listeners for improving physical and mental wellbeing.  

Andrew Huberman, Ph.D., is a neuroscientist and tenured Professor in the Department of Neurobiology at the Stanford University School of Medicine. He has made numerous significant contributions to the fields of brain development, brain function and neural plasticity, which is the ability of our nervous system to rewire and learn new behaviors, skills and cognitive functioning.
View Quote

Cold Exposure https://hubermanlab.com/using-deliberate-cold-exposure-for-heath-and-performance/

Have you tried cold exposure therapy?  What was your protocol and results?  

In the podcast, Dr Huberman says that as little as 11 minutes a week of cold exposure can make statistically significant improvements in metabolism, as well as mental and cognitive improvements.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I call it "working outside from November to January"

That's plenty of cold exposure for me. I tried the cold shower thing, not worth it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's plenty of cold exposure for me. I tried the cold shower thing, not worth it.
View Quote

Yes, that is cold exposure for sure, and he talks about exposure like that in the episode.  Some of us have cushier jobs that we don't have to be outside during those months
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, that is cold exposure for sure, and he talks about exposure like that in the episode.  Some of us have cushier jobs that we don't have to be outside during those months
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think mentally it toughens you up a bit, and it certainly helps you sleep because you are just blowing through calories all day long not to freeze to death.....but on the long term it's a morale killer..

I think it's probably a good idea to just try to get outside for at least 30 minutes a day, all year long, and let your body get some exposure to whatever season it is.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been doing cold showers after lifting. I do feel like recovery is improved. I've tried it after cardio, but I feel like I don't handle the cold shock as well after cardio, and there isn't any immediately obvious benefit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been doing cold showers after lifting. I do feel like recovery is improved. I've tried it after cardio, but I feel like I don't handle the cold shock as well after cardio, and there isn't any immediately obvious benefit.
View Quote

According to the research Dr Huberman presented, cold exposure right after weight lifting negatively impacts strength gains and hypertrophy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

According to the research Dr Huberman presented, cold exposure right after weight lifting negatively impacts strength gains and hypertrophy.
View Quote

I've seen that research as well. But I'm likely very close to my genetic limit without PEDs, so I'm likely not going to grow much if any. The benefit of feeling fresher at each session, while lifting every other day, it's a worthwhile trade off to me. Also, I don't do it right after my workout, I eat a meal and watch some TV first.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm outside a decent amount in the winter here, but I don't think it does much.

I do sit in a tub of ice for my lower body once in a while (not often) when heavy squats catch up to me and I feel like I need it.  I just grab a couple bags of ice and throw them in the bathtub and sit in it for a while.  It seems to really help my glutes feel much better afterward...lol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top