Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2020 6:45:29 PM EDT
I have a 9mm AR pistol I built from parts, based on a JoeBob (New Frontier) Spartan lower. I'm thinking of cashing it out for a new project.

I don't want to be the "manufacturer" of the pistol, for liability reasons.

How far do I need to strip it down to sell it as a "parts kit"?  I can take the trigger kit out of the lower.  Do I need to separate the barrel from the upper?

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Your not the “manufacture”. Sell away as whole if you like
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How far do I need to strip it down to sell it as a "parts kit"?  I can take the trigger kit out of the lower.  Do I need to separate the barrel from the upper?    
View Quote

I don't have an answer.  I doubt any one has an answer.

If you want to avoid any possible liability, dissassemble and destroy each and every part.

Yes, kind of drastic, I know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a 9mm AR pistol I built from parts, based on a JoeBob (New Frontier) Spartan lower. I'm thinking of cashing it out for a new project.

I don't want to be the "manufacturer" of the pistol, for liability reasons.

View Quote

Parts kits generally do not have receivers.

Not sure why you cannot sell it as is, did you have to mark your name on it under MI Law?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Was gonna say F it cash and carry but saw your state. I know y’all have some weird issues. I would put on consignment at a local shop if they will take it so they can deal with it
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's an 80%, just serialize it and sell.

If it's not, sell away.

No need to make it a "parts kit." You're legal to sell it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought there was a law that allowed you to make a fire arm but you could not sell it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought there was a law that allowed you to make a fire arm but you could not sell it.
View Quote

That’s internet myths. It’s all about intent. If you build it with the intent to sell. Illegal. If you build it for yourself and decide you don’t like it later. Legal. Same with 80%s. You can sell them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it's an 80%, just serialize it and sell.

If it's not, sell away.

No need to make it a "parts kit." You're legal to sell it.
View Quote

No need to serialize it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s internet myths.
View Quote

It like playing Whack-A-Mole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top