Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 2:31:21 PM EDT
I'd like to run a few ethernet cables from the basement through the exterior wall and strait up to the attic.  It's really easy to get to both spots, I'm just not sure what type of conduit and fittings to use.  I was thinking maybe using two of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-in-Type-LB-Non-Metallic-Conduit-Body-E986F-CTN/100404007?MERCH=REC-_-pipinstock-_-202205912-_-100404007-_-N

and some of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JM-eagle-1-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Conduit-67462/202295893

Any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Why does it need to be so well sealed?   The cable isn't affected much by weather and it's low voltage so there are no code requirements.  You can just calk the holes where it enters/leaves the house.

ETA:  I would just use gray conduit to keep the cables neat and protected from getting snagged etc.  You could just calk the ends to keep bugs out or stuff with steel wool or similar.  No right angle fittings required.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why does it need to be so well sealed?   The cable isn't affected much by weather and it's low voltage so there are no code requirements.  You can just calk the holes where it enters/leaves the house.

ETA:  I would just use gray conduit to keep the cables neat and protected from getting snagged etc.  You could just calk the ends to keep bugs out or stuff with steel wool or similar.  No right angle fittings required.
View Quote

Mostly wanted the conduit so it'd look nice and in case I want to add/remove cables.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
the grey PVC type conduit will work fine, I would use at least 3/4" and I would use the right angle conduit bodies with the removable covers on each end to ease in feeding and keep critters and weather out. Keep in mind it will flex and sag if it gets hot in the sun so secure it well if you have any long horizontal runs, learn from my mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why does it need to be so well sealed?   The cable isn't affected much by weather
View Quote

Ethernet jacketing isn't UV-shielded, so UV will break it down over time.  The conduit that OP listed IS UV-shielded.

Plus, sometimes you gotta replace an ethernet cable.  It's a lot easier to just pull new through the conduit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd like to run a few ethernet cables from the basement through the exterior wall and strait up to the attic.  It's really easy to get to both spots, I'm just not sure what type of conduit and fittings to use.  I was thinking maybe using two of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-in-Type-LB-Non-Metallic-Conduit-Body-E986F-CTN/100404007?MERCH=REC-_-pipinstock-_-202205912-_-100404007-_-N

and some of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JM-eagle-1-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Conduit-67462/202295893

Any ideas?

Thanks
View Quote

That's what I used and the grey is a close match to my siding.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ethernet jacketing isn't UV-shielded, so UV will break it down over time.  The conduit that OP listed IS UV-shielded.
View Quote

You can buy UV shielded... I get UV shielded from a friend that owns a local ISP. They use it for runs up their P2P towers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
We've used liquidtight non metallic tubing and fittings. It has worked well. You probably don't even need fittings to exit/enter the house with it.

Tubing
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Conduit is overkill and unnecessary for that.

Run some UV-stable/outdoor rated cable with cable staples to hold it to the wall.
I honestly wouldn't even mess with FTP and the associated grounding headaches it introduces.  

Good outdoor-rated cable will survive on a tower for years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm with everyone that has said to use UV-rated outdoor ethernet cable. There is no need for conduit. One thing to remember when running the cable, make sure to add a U shaped "drip loop" where it enters the structure. The helps keep any water from running down the cable and into the hole. And yes you still need to calk the openings where the cable enters.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
PVC conduit for this project is going to be what… $20?

Go ahead use conduit. Especially if you are going to have multiple wires in there. Over kill it with outdoor cable in the conduit too. Outdoor Ethernet cable is filled with a gel to prevent condensation from forming inside the cable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Conduit is the answer. Future you will thank present you.

Besides, having a bunch of bare wires running on the outside of the house is gross.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Plastic ENT conduit with 4x4x2 boxes or angles that have access ports so you can fish and pull wire. Use at least 1” diameter tube. They have flexible tubing if needed with compression fittings.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for conduit.  I have some wiring coming from the house for the A/C and another that was for an external ringer hooked to my land line, and my brother damaged both of them with his weed trimmer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top