Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2021 7:22:42 PM EDT
Gents, I am so behind the times it's not funny.... I would like to start ripping my DVDs and eventually to my home network I haven't set up yet.    My question is,, what program should I use to rip the DVDs?  The internet has suggestions but I would prefer the hives experience and answers. Thank you
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Handbrake is what you seek
Get the extra files [Look around there is a website for DIY]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not referring to Blu-ray, are you? I see lots of people refer to any video-on-disc as a DVD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a difference ripping? Sure, regular DVD and Blu Ray. I just assumed there was no difference.... so thats where I am at knowledge wise..
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
the only real difference I am aware of is you need a blu-ray player in your computer.
otherwise it seems handbrake will rip either.

of course file size is way different.
9 GB for a DVD and 30ish for a blueray.
hopefully you have enough space.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the only real difference I am aware of is you need a blu-ray player in your computer.
otherwise it seems handbrake will rip either.

of course file size is way different.
9 GB for a DVD and 30ish for a blueray.
hopefully you have enough space.
View Quote

This is kinda true if you'te doing a straight rip.

Handbrake lets you set a lot of options that control the size of the final file.

If your computer has an AMDcpu I recommend the AMD option for converting your discs to .mkv files.

Edit:  handbrake is free software.  Google it to find a d/l site.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Does Handbrake handle Blu-ray's AACS encryption?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I use MakeMKV.  Can handle DVD, BluRay, and 4k UHD disks.  Don't have anything to report, other than it works great.

I do use Handbrake to encode my DVD rips so they direct play on my clients, but I keep the BluRay and UHD untranscoded and transcode the BluRay content on the fly if needed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there a difference ripping? Sure, regular DVD and Blu Ray. I just assumed there was no difference.... so thats where I am at knowledge wise..
View Quote

Yes.  They are encrypted differently.  DVD has been easy to rip and make into playable video files (.mp4, .mkv, .avi, etc) for a LONG time.  I've been "out of the game" for a good many years now, but I had yet to find a free program that would decrypt blu-ray before I quit ripping.  Maybe that's changed now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Any DVD will decrypt Blu-ray.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Handbrake is what you seek
Get the extra files [Look around there is a website for DIY]
View Quote

That’s always an option.

Also if you want a complete copy try RipIt pro.

The resulting product is identical to the DVD: menus, warnings, *everything* that’s on the original disc.

No idea if it works for Blu-ray, or even if the software still out there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use MakeMKV.  Can handle DVD, BluRay, and 4k UHD disks.  Don't have anything to report, other than it works great.

I do use Handbrake to encode my DVD rips so they direct play on my clients, but I keep the BluRay and UHD untranscoded and transcode the BluRay content on the fly if needed.
View Quote

Same for me, makemkv to rip and if I want handbrake to transcode to h265 to save some space.  5900x so it doesn't take too long.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I rip everything to as a MKV with MakeMKV then transcode it via Handbrake. I found it takes about 50% less time to rip a regular DVD to an MKV format and then transcode it versus using HandBrake to rip it straight off the disk.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used Handbrake, MakeMKV and others for years. More recently, I got tired of using a hodgepodge of programs, so I bought the entire suite of DVDFab. It decrypts, rips, copies, transcodes, etc., and is updated almost continuously for whenever new protections or disc structures come out on new 4K movies. They can downgrade your 4K drive's firmware to allow you to rip a 4K movie, as newer drives have firmware that sometimes prevents this.

It's a lifetime license. Yeah, it cost money, but I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been using MakeMKV with success. Haven't needed to use handbrake yet. I am ripping thdm.and putting them on a USB in my router and am able to watch them on a TV downstairs.

My external burner only does DVDs.... we are in 2021.....

What external burner do I want for 4kUHD and Blue Ray?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been using MakeMKV with success. Haven't needed to use handbrake yet. I am ripping thdm.and putting them on a USB in my router and am able to watch them on a TV downstairs.

My external burner only does DVDs.... we are in 2021.....

What external burner do I want for 4kUHD and Blue Ray?
View Quote

External will have limitations, check the makemkv forums for the current best.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok gents, I am now hip and have been Handbraking with the best of them. Is there any advantage to keep the larger pre Handbrake version on my cpu?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I doubt it’s possible.... they would just snap
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know what that means.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I doubt it’s possible.... they would just snap
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep mine, in case I decide I want to encode differently in the future for whatever reason.  HDD space is cheap.  I only remux DVD rips, BluRay I just keep raw and transcode on the fly as needed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I use MakeMKV for the rip and then I run it through Handbrake for file size reduction which also makes playback easier on many devices.  

The same process as other posters use.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes big difference, DVD encryption was broken the day after it was released. Blu Ray uses an ever changing key there for you need to use a commercial product that has constant updates.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does Handbrake handle Blu-ray's AACS encryption?
View Quote

Handbrake does not de-crypt anything. It is just an encoder.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've used Handbrake, MakeMKV and others for years. More recently, I got tired of using a hodgepodge of programs, so I bought the entire suite of DVDFab. It decrypts, rips, copies, transcodes, etc., and is updated almost continuously for whenever new protections or disc structures come out on new 4K movies. They can downgrade your 4K drive's firmware to allow you to rip a 4K movie, as newer drives have firmware that sometimes prevents this.

It's a lifetime license. Yeah, it cost money, but I'm happy with it.
View Quote

I've had a lifetime license to DVDFab for just about as long as they have been in existence. I think they have made it way to bloated lately but I still use it to rip DVD/Blu then use handbrake to re-encode to reduce file size.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for makemkv.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Brorsoft Blu-ray Ripper works for 99% of the discs out there.

The rest can be done with DVDFab including Blu-ray's.

I back up the complete disc and then convert them to my format of choice.

Currently that is H264 with a 3.5Mbps bitrate for DVD's and 8Mbps bitrate for Blu-ray's.  Not everything can play MKV files so you will wind up transcoding if that's the case.

I've done hundreds of disc's over the last several years.

HDD space is cheap but it does start to add up.  I have at least $6K of HDD's between the main and backup NAS.  The main NAS gets enterprise drives (HGST/WD Ultrastar) and the backup NAS gets PMR WD Red's or shucked WD Elements drives.

I'm currently moving my parity drives on unRAID to 14TB WD Ultrastar drives from WD Gold 10TB drives.  They are $300ea but they are great drives.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another vote for makemkv.
View Quote

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top