Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 12:13:16 PM EDT
I have been using many Surefire products, well, since before they were Surefire, such as Laser Technologies M9 lights, etc.

I have been doing updates and run into two problems.

One, I have a Nitecore Charger and rechargeable batteries for many things.

Two, I have bought LED replacement heads that say they are p60 drop in replacements.

SOME LED drop ins fit perfect.
Others do not.

Some LED drop ins work with both regular batteries, and ALL my rechargeables.

Some LED drop ins work with regular batteries, but only SOME of my rechargeables.

So, what LED drop in bulb sets for stuff like old handheld C2 Centurions, Z2 Combat lights, M9 direct takedown pin and M9 trigger guard mounts, M951s, etc.

I understand why old incandescent 6.4v bulb filaments would burn out with lithium rechargeables holding 8+v,
But don’t understand why many LEDs simply don’t work at all with them.

Is there a reasonable bang for the buck drop in for these that will work with lithium rechargeables, and fit without dropping 80 bucks each for drop ins or 100 bucks each for conversion heads?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
https://malkoffdevices.com/
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct answer. Where are you getting the drop-ins now?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
First post
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product.php?cid=8

Lighter weight than Malkoff.
~$10-15 cheaper.  Look on candlepower forums on how to use foil to assist fit of chinesium crap if you have  lots laying around.

LEDs will be direct drive and limited to 4.2v IIRC, or have drivers that control voltage to LED.
Buy those that are 3-9v for 1-2 cells or 9-12v+ for 3 cell.
I use 16650 or 18650 cells and my LEDs drop out of regulation ~3.4 where they start to dim all the way down to cell shut-off.
Always change cells before they shut themselves off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess is that the drop ins have some sort of current sense that doesn't like under/over voltages.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^
This
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a drop in led replacement from battery junction for an old surefire, and it killed it
Now, neither of my original, surefire brand lamp assemblies work in it. It's been dead for years.

Surefire seems like a shit ass company that exists by selling redesigned, older products to a fan base.

Fame on I don't care. My pentagon light still works

Speed
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Lumens Factory had a LED drop in for my ancient Streamlight M3.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Malkoff is what you seek.

@speedracer422 which old SF ? Want to sell it ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI X 10
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Malkoff is what you seek.

@speedracer422 which old SF ? Want to sell it ?
View Quote

Sure I'll sell it. lemme take a look at everything I have; you can buy it all if you want.

ETA: IM sent

Speed

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a drop in led replacement from battery junction for an old surefire, and it killed it
Now, neither of my original, surefire brand lamp assemblies work in it. It's been dead for years.

Surefire seems like a shit ass company that exists by selling redesigned, older products to a fan base.

Fame on I don't care. My pentagon light still works

Speed
View Quote
Have you tried replacing the switch? Made sure the threads on the switch and the body are clean?
And yes, the Pentagons were tanks. I wish they were still in business.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you tried replacing the switch? Made sure the threads on the switch and the body are clean?
And yes, the Pentagons were tanks. I wish they were still in business.

Nick
View Quote

I just tried it and it actually works, though Im keeping my pentagon light and the (back then) budget-ass DD mount; it goes with the old school M4orgery asthetic

Speed
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought some LED bulbs for an MX3 weapon light and an old surefire from lumensfactory. Let you know how they work on Monday.

UPDATE......they work as advertised.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought some LED bulbs for an MX3 weapon light and an old surefire from lumensfactory. Let you know how they work on Monday.
View Quote

The lumensfactory LED’s for the MX3 work great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top