Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2022 8:40:23 AM EDT
Anybody lose 30 pounds in a month before?

I gained some weight, probably due to eating junk

July 31st I was about 200.  So far I'm at:

8/1 - 198.4
8/2 - 195.8
8/3 - 194.4

I've been keto and doing one meal a day so far.

There's always an easy initial loss, I'm just concerned about moving forward. I read some stuff about "net" carbs being bogus.  I want to do something different than I've done before.

What do you all suggest for 30 pounds in 31 days?  I'm 5' 10" and only care about losing fat right now, not so much about building muscle.

What say you all?  Carnivore?  OMAD?  Fasting?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You gotta sweat if you want to lose weight

Buy a treadmill, walk on incline for 45 minutes

It hurts but you will burn 400-500 calories per workout doing this
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

8/1 - 198.4
8/2 - 195.8
8/3 - 194.4

There's always an easy initial loss, I'm just concerned about moving forward. I read some stuff about "net" carbs being bogus.  I want to do something different than I've done before.

What do you all suggest for 30 pounds in 31 days?  I'm 5' 10" and only care about losing fat right now, not so much about building muscle.

Thanks!

View Quote

Combine all three approaches.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Keto and OMAD got me there in about 40 days, but I was still drinking whiskey. If you cut out all extra calories I bet you could do it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
stay on keto omad.  30 lbs will put you at 170?  that's close to no extra weight for you.  you are on the correct path but you may have to start some exercise if you plato.  I can loose better if I don't exercise until I get to weight.  If exercise and loose a handle on my eating.  one track mind I guess
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keto and OMAD got me there in about 40 days, but I was still drinking whiskey. If you cut out all extra calories I bet you could do it.
View Quote

Oh nice, good job!  I don't drink so I got that going for me
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
stay on keto omad.  30 lbs will put you at 170?  that's close to no extra weight for you.  you are on the correct path but you may have to start some exercise if you plato.  I can loose better if I don't exercise until I get to weight.  If exercise and loose a handle on my eating.  one track mind I guess
View Quote

I've had that issue in the past, it seems like if I want to lose fat, it's better not to exercise.  It seems like overall it works against me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a 3500 calorie/day deficit. Would be hard to do unless you're fasting for the whole 30 days and exercising.

Why does it need to be 30 days?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Calorie deficit worked for me.  ???????
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Unsustainable. You’re going to feel like trash and decimate your hormonal balance. Not to mention you’re going to lose a lot of muscle mass, making it much harder to keep the weight off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's a 3500 calorie/day deficit. Would be hard to do unless you're fasting for the whole 30 days and exercising.

View Quote

1 month cuz goals
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unsustainable. You’re going to feel like trash and decimate your hormonal balance. Not to mention you’re going to lose a lot of muscle mass, making it much harder to keep the weight off.
View Quote

Hoping that eating a fat heavy meal a day will help with that stuff.

Whenever I go back to a SAD diet the weight comes back.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Buy a treadmill, walk on incline for 45 minutes

It hurts but you will burn 400-500 calories per workout doing this
View Quote

You can lose as much weight as you want without even thinking about exercise.

Your weight is dictated by your diet.

If you just don't eat that 400-500 calories to begin with, it saves a lot of effort.

Everyone should exercise of course, but the goal of it is to keep your heart, lungs, muscles and other body systems in good working order.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Starve yourself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Alright day 4 I'm at 193.0
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Lost about 35 pounds in January.   Had a severe intestinal issue.  

Don't recommend it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The ravine diet would do it.

We break both legs and throw you in the bottom of a ravine.

Seriously though, I gained weight during the covid years. I lost 65 pounds roughly in three months. 235 to 170. I did keto and watched my macros so my protein didn’t drop. I’m still eating keto and watching my macros, but upped my numbers to stay in the 175-168 range. Net carbs as you mentioned must really work because I eat the low carb hotdog buns, hamburger buns, bread, and tortillas. Net carbs works for me. You need to watch calories too, keto isn’t a license to pig out on 5,000 cal a day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The ravine diet would do it.

We break both legs and throw you in the bottom of a ravine.

Seriously though, I gained weight during the covid years. I lost 65 pounds roughly in three months. 235 to 170. I did keto and watched my macros so my protein didn’t drop. I’m still eating keto and watching my macros, but upped my numbers to stay in the 175-168 range. Net carbs as you mentioned must really work because I eat the low carb hotdog buns, hamburger buns, bread, and tortillas. Net carbs works for me. You need to watch calories too, keto isn’t a license to pig out on 5,000 cal a day.
View Quote

Yes!  This has been a problem of mine in the past, even doing Intermittent Fasting, I'd eat a huge lunch and dinner.  I usually wouldn't gain, but I wouldn't lose.  I'll probably go back to that when I get to my goal weight, its normally completely sustainable for me and I'm happy on it and have tons of energy.

So far this is what I've done:

7/31 - 200 - I forget when I ate that day but it was Keto
8/1 - 198.4 - I ate almost all the dark meat off of a Costco rotisserie chicken and a small side salad
8/2 - 195.8 - Big Mac salad, 3 burger patties, delicious and some grapes
8/3 - 194.4 - NY Strip for dinner w/ small side salad and a little bit of Rebel Ice Cream
8/4 - 193.0 - Planning on Peri Peri chicken and a small salad, probably a little bit of Rebel, that Snickerdoodle is mad good

My current plan is:

1. One Meal A Day
2. Net carbs as low as possible
3. Fast if I hit a plateau
4. Stay accountable

I got a problem in that I'm going to Legoland for a few days next week, that'll be difficult.

I already feel way better and have a lot more energy than I did when I was eating a Standard American Diet
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Down to 192.0 this morning

Anybody got any keto tips for Red Robin?

I have to go there tonight for my kids birthday
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#19]
3 miles after waking up, sub 1000cal daily & 3 miles after dinner. No eating before 7 am or after 7pm, no sugar. This is where I start when trying to drop weight. Make changes as I go...
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is absolutely not true. You can't work your way out of a shit diet.

Eating poorly is why people are fat. Eating well is how they lose weight. You can help by exercising, but it's completely unnecessary. Plus fat people reward themselves with food after exercising like they've earned it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#21]
You'll make some progress initially. But like some others said, you'll lose muscle too.

The body is a machine- it adapts to stimulus. Making dramatic caloric reductions will initially result in weight loss. You're seeing that already. At some point your body will adapt by slowing your metabolism. You'll stop the dramatic weight loss. Then what are your options to for4ce further adaptations?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is absolutely not true. You can't work your way out of a shit diet.

Eating poorly is why people are fat. Eating well is how they lose weight. You can help by exercising, but it's completely unnecessary. Plus fat people reward themselves with food after exercising like they've earned it.
View Quote

I eat 4000+ calories a day and I’m a little guy only 5’7” and 165 pounds super lean and ripped.  I’m 47 years old as well.  Long hours in the factory and heavy lifting.  Losing 30 lbs in a month is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of.  I can eat 4000 calories a day and stay lean because of my activity level, but also because I’ve never done anything stupid to fuck up my metabolism or natural hormone production like trying to lose 30 lbs in 30 days for example.  Long term it’s a terrible thing to do just like long term fad diets are terrible.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

8/1 - 198.4
8/2 - 195.8
8/3 - 194.4

Thanks!

View Quote
Dont even try it.  You want to lose tops 2#/week, 8#/mo to avoid muscle loss.  This should be a 3+month goal.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
How is it going these days?
Did you achieve the results you needed?
I am trying to lose weight as well and so far skipping was one of the most helpful exercises https://betterme.world/articles/skipping-to-lose-weight-in-2-weeks/. Anyone else into it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]
RIP
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Skipping in a sauna with a bag on will help you sweat
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Keto and daily high heart rate circuit training that uses as much of the body as possible. But check with a doctor. Circuit training requires a pretty healthy heart.

Don't do much long cardio. Keep it under 20 min and make it intense. If you do slow cardio for long periods it teaches your body to store fat rather than burn it. That's why circuit training is so good for burning fat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, this speaks to me. I eat really healthy, genuinely watch my calories.

But I like lifting weights and then I want to eat to support any gAiNz because I’m older and it hurts to do it

So, yes, when I decide to take a break from the gym and do other things for exercise like firearms training, I do much better with my eating.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Treadmill in an attic.
Then there's the smart way. Get paid to do hot yoga.
There's A/C companies down here hiring duct installers.

Get paid to bend and twist around trusses while pulling duct work. Where it's 150.
Women pay to do hot yoga. You can get paid to do hot yoga.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Covid (delta) worked for me last year.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Down to 192.0 this morning

Anybody got any keto tips for Red Robin?

I have to go there tonight for my kids birthday
View Quote

Its a burger place -- get a cheeseburger, no bun, no fries

Or even a double bacon cheeseburger with an egg on top

throw a side salad in there if you must but you may have to eat it dry ---   most dressings have a significant HFCS content (high fructose corn syrup) and the last time i was at Red Robin when i asked for a smal thing of olive oil, they looked at me like i was from Mars

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, its been over a month -- how did it go?

I've got a similar goal in that my weight hit a new high and i am hosting a few people at my house in a month ---  so i'm going straight carnivore -- just started yesterday.
  I'm sitting dangerously close to 3-hundy on the scale , and gained 30 lbs scary fast , so i'm hoping i have a significant water component that might account for 15 of it ,  but weight is weight - the scale doesnt lie.    

Muscle loss is not a concern for me as i am carrying a surplus of both muscle and fat  -- but yesterday was a pound of hamburger patties spread throughout the day followed up with a swordfish steak for dinner.    No idea on the calorie count but i need to get a food scale and start getting  a little better handle on it.     Even with carnivore, after the initial quick water loss, its going to come down to total calories consumed and burned , just like anything else
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

1 month cuz goals
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 month cuz goals

Why is it a goal?  Do you have to make weight as a job requirement or similar?  

A better goal is 2 lbs per week until you reach your aim weight.  

My weight loss journey in 2020; current weight 2 years later is 202-205lbs:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

8/1 - 198.4
8/2 - 195.8
8/3 - 194.4

Thanks!

View Quote

Also, losing weight in the manner you describe will be about 50% fat and 50% muscle mass.  You will be weaker, better to workout hard and turn the calories stored in your fat into muscle over time instead of looking at a number on the scale.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
its going to come down to total calories consumed and burned , just like anything else
View Quote

Untrue. Calorie counting is a myth. One calorie of sugar is vastly different than a calorie of animal fat when it comes to the effect on metabolism and insulin as well as weight gain or loss.

If calorie counting worked... someone ran the numbers, and like 1 calorie per meal would be like 50 pounds a year. Cue the "it doesn't work that way" meme.

Calorie counting often leads to someone doing a bunch of aerobic exercise trying to "burn off calories", which is generally self-defeating if they're trying to lose weight. Moderate intensity weights or similar exercise a few times a week plus cutting down on carbs is generally a good plan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Most people who lose a lot of weight fast end up in a cycle of loss and gain, loss and gain.  Do you want to be like Oprah?  If you lose that weight slowly by making real lifestyle changes you will be more likely to maintain the weight loss.  You need to find an exercise routine and diet you can live with the rest of your life without pain.  You will want to find a diet and exercise routine that will maintain a weight of 170 pounds.  You will gradually lose the weight and when you hit your target you just keep doing what you are doing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Instead of losing 30 pounds in a month think losing 30 pounds over a 6 - 12 month period.  You will suffer less and keep the weight off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Dieting by itself might work (in the short term), but it'll fark with your system and I doubt it's sustainable.

Try four or five smaller meals a day (whatever you want) and exercise.  Drop your caloric intake and up your basal metabolic rate without screwing with your hormones or natural physiological fat storage mechanisms.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dieting by itself might work (in the short term), but it'll fark with your system and I doubt it's sustainable.

Try four or five smaller meals a day (whatever you want) and exercise.  Drop your caloric intake and up your basal metabolic rate without screwing with your hormones or natural physiological fat storage mechanisms.
View Quote
More frequent, smaller meals used to be thought of as the best way to lose weight, but it has been debunked.
Frequent meals increases blood glucose which ramps up the insulin response.  This increased insulin reaction forces the body to convert glucose and store it as fat.

What really works is only having two meals a day trying to limiting carbs (keto is best) and having a decent amount of fat in the diet to provide sustained energy to reduce cravings.   At least 14 hours should pass between the latest meal and breakfast so the body can tap into it's fat reserves for fuel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#40]
One pound of fat is roughly equal to about a day's caloric expenditure, or maybe as much as 2 pounds.  In other words, to lose a pound a day, you have to have a VERY serious caloric deficit, like either not eating at all, or to exercise enough to work off a few thousand calories per day.  That's a lot more daunting of a task than it sounds like, and a lot less healthy than it might sound.

Sure, you'll lose 5 pounds or maybe 10 from water, but the rest is all fat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Untrue. Calorie counting is a myth. n.
View Quote

The calories have got to go somewhere .    
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
After reading Dupemasters Bacon Challenge thread  I was eating 1 meal a day of bacon/eggs/avocados until I got full and just drinking water for a month , I lost 30 pounds.

After I lost the excess weight I'm back to drinking beer and eating potatoes. Haven't really gained any weight back, just holding steady. But I'm keeping an eye on my weight.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Dupemasters-diary-of-un-fatting-and-getting-jacked-Update-8-12-22Down-75lbs-in-6-months-/5-2548441/
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#43]
@matai

It's been almost 6 weeks since you OP, how's the weight loss going?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top