Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2021 5:39:36 AM EDT
Hilarious!
How to Fly the Pattern Without Making an #@$ of Yourself

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing hilarious about the reality of flying the pattern!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They forgot the guy that just doesn't bother talking on the radio, even though his radio is working, because he firmly believes that if everybody else thinks his radio isn't working, everybody else has to get out of his way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On the other hand, don't yak your way around the pattern.  "Bellanca 895 is left downwind for runway 7" is sufficient.

I have no idea where the notion started that a call should be made for downwind, entering base leg, turning final, and "on short final" is appropriate, especially in a busy Unicom environment where it's close enough to impossible to understand and sort through the jabber anyway.  Leave all the extra talk for the cases when it's needed, such as announcing "cross wind for runway 13".
View Quote
My instructor said students are taught this to teach them to be able accurately report their position. Most discover it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As a rotary pilot I liked he put in the mention about us lol. I like his commentary wish I would of had more videos with his narrations than the ones I had at my flight school!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless your in a stack at a non towered airport that is routinely used as a training ground. You hear and see it all. Sometimes it can be hillarious. I do understand the seriousness and gravity of it all though
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a fine line between making the "book" calls and making the calls you need to make, or don't need to make. Somedays you can do pattern work and never use the radio. Other days making the book calls just clutters the frequency if you feel you've got command of the situation and don't need to announce yourself every three seconds, thereby leaving air time for the other five aircraft in the pattern to do exactly that.

I'm also a firm believer in sending polite messages. You know, like "Cessna Two Seven Golf, do you have the helicopter on right downwind in sight?" Or "Helicopter Delta Tango, short final runway 34, has the Baron waiting on Alpha in sight." When people hear their call sign it wakes them up and makes them take notice of you, which one hopes will help them not do something stupid in your general direction.

BREAK

Had a good one last weekend. Practicing a 180 auto in a busy pattern at an uncontrolled field, made the call, started the auto, and this guy at the hold line makes his departure call. Now we were behind him, being a good little helicopter making right traffic and all that sort of thing, so he couldn't see us, but still...

So we make another radio call and the guy is not hearing us. And then the two other planes he was leaving for breakfast with, one on each of the two parallel taxiways waiting to follow, are calling him. And off he goes into the wild blue, making his calls but not hearing a thing. I really wonder what they might have talked about at breakfast
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On the other hand, don't yak your way around the pattern.  "Bellanca 895 is left downwind for runway 7" is sufficient.
View Quote

Make sure to announce what airport you're at as well.  Many CTAF frequencies are overlapped at various airports, with the same runways and prevailing winds, and on a sunny clear day, you can get calls for "Runway 3-2" at multiple airports. Always use "Airport name traffic, Cessna 792 is downwind for runway 32 Airport name traffic" and repeat again if crowded CTAF.

And the calls for 2 miles out on a 45, 1 mile out on a 45, turning downwind, turning base, and final are to let others know where you are....don't assume.  I've been in near misses caused by careless pilots who assumed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top