Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2024 5:40:12 PM EDT
Anyone know how this works? Specifically in aruba?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In my general experience, Verizon charges you $10 a day for international service.  If you're at a resort then just use wifi unless it's an emergency.  If you're going to be there for a while you can get a local SIM card.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was abroad, I acquired local sims.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
how about calling Verizon customer service and asking THEM how it will work.

When I used to travel to various foreign destinations for work, I always found them VERY helpful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Been to Aruba twice with Verizon, when you land and take your phone off of airplane mode it will connect to the closest tower. You will get a text notification for the $10.00 daily rate. After that your phone works just like back home. Had excellent coverage when I was there
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
WiFi calling.

or just get a prepaid eSIM card for where you are while you're there.

I have an international plan but when I've travelled I've almost always been in WiFi coverage when needing to make a call.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Dunno about Aruba but I've often just kept my phone in airplane mode, turned on wifi, and used free wifi when I needed to make a call.  The times I wanted actual cell service, I got a cheap disposable unlocked android phone and grabbed a pay as you go sim when I arrived.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I used to travel to various foreign destinations for work, I always found them VERY helpful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or look at their web site.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/travelpass-countries/
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I turned it all on via my verizon account. I used my personal android phone in Australia and Ireland with no issues. I think it was like an extra 10-15 a day. But it was mostly voice. So for data i'd wait to get on wifi before whoring myself back out on the internet with shitloads of data.

Also don't forget to update your credit/debit cards with your travel info so they don't freeze your shit when you're over there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Check Airalo. They have an app.

You can buy eSIMs for various countries. They have an app you can install and install the eSIM directly. Your iPhone should be able to support at least 1 eSIM. If you have a physical SIM, you can leave it in. You'll be able to set one to use for data, one for calls/text. You can leave your regular service on for calls/text. Do note any calls you make or receive will be international. If your service supports WiFi calling, there shouldn't be any international rates on that.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did earlier and didnt have time to wait on hold. Im going to call again but thought an arfcom thread would get some good responses rolling so I am informed when I do get a hold of verizon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In my general experience, Verizon charges you $10 a day for international service.  If you're at a resort then just use wifi unless it's an emergency.  If you're going to be there for a while you can get a local SIM card.
View Quote

The new iPhones dont have physical sims anymore. They are digital or virtual. How does getting another sim work when you dont have a physical sim? Honest question.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I turned it all on via my verizon account. I used my personal android phone in Australia and Ireland with no issues. I think it was like an extra 10-15 a day. But it was mostly voice. So for data i'd wait to get on wifi before whoring myself back out on the internet with shitloads of data.

Also don't forget to update your credit/debit cards with your travel info so they don't freeze your shit when you're over there.
View Quote

You did it via the verizon app or actually logged into tour account online?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Thats a handy chart. Now I guess I just need notify them of the dates I will be abroad. Ill check out the verizon app tonight and see if I can bypass waiting on hold.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
You can do the $10 per day (24 hours) or if you will be there for a while Verizon has a monthly plan for I think $100.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dual e-sim.

Except Whatsapp is what you want.
View Quote

Needs to investigate whatsapp. My first thought was WhatsThat?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Been to Aruba twice with Verizon, when you land and take your phone off of airplane mode it will connect to the closest tower. You will get a text notification for the $10.00 daily rate. After that your phone works just like back home. Had excellent coverage when I was there
View Quote

Had same experience in Aruba with AT&T.  I think we had to go in to the store before we left and get something setup before we traveled.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I would check their latest plans if you haven't upgraded within the past few months. The one they were pushing me for $10 more a month supposedly had unlimited talk text and 10Gb of data for their international supported list.

I'd say give them a call but it's about a 25% chance you'll actually get someone and 5% that they'll actually be helpful.

'Unlimited Ultimate' is what they plan was called FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#20]
What does Whatsapp do that any data driven messaging platform doesn't?

Like Facetime, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, etc?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Was in Aruba last month with a Verizon Iphone.  Just make sure travelpass is activated on your account.  When you arrive in Aruba and it recognizes the network you will get a text telling you that you have 24 hours of international use until you are charged again (another $10). For whatever reason the website made it look like it was a little more complicated than that, but it was very simple.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to your provider and ask them about international packages.

My AT&T worked flawlessly in Aruba.l on an international plan.

Fuck, Aruba is bad ass. Wish I was there with the family.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What does Whatsapp do that any data driven messaging platform doesn't?

Like Facetime, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, etc?
View Quote

Locals will often use it preferentially.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The new iPhones dont have physical sims anymore. They are digital or virtual. How does getting another sim work when you dont have a physical sim? Honest question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

e-SIMs
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Needs to investigate whatsapp. My first thought was WhatsThat?
View Quote
It's an app that uploads all the contacts in your phone to Mark Zuckerberg.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They'll give you a card that looks like a QR code.  You'll scan it, and the phone will 'install' the eSIM and register with the service.

You can configure which SIM to use as primary for voice.  Which is primary for data.  etc.  You can even assign a specific SIM to use per contact.

Having multiple sims in your phone is super handy for a lot of reasons.  And far far better than dealing with two devices.

You can use WhatsApp if you wish but it's unnecessary.  One exception being it seems as if it's very popular in foreign countries.  Particularly South America / India.  So for communicating with the locals it's nice to have.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WiFi calling.

or just get a prepaid eSIM card for where you are while you're there.

I have an international plan but when I've travelled I've almost always been in WiFi coverage when needing to make a call.
View Quote

Airalo for prepaid eSIM. Did that in Playa del Carmen two years ago. Worked fine. But you need a new enough phone to use eSIM. If older phone, you could get a local sim.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can confirm all of the above. We were there last Oct. Drove all over the island and both phone and data were excellent.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

$10 a day everywhere, it’s like a geographical oddity.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#31]

i need to get out more
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Airalo for prepaid eSIM. Did that in Playa del Carmen two years ago. Worked fine. But you need a new enough phone to use eSIM. If older phone, you could get a local sim.
View Quote
iPhones going back to the 11 can accept an eSIM.

its only the newer models that are eSIM only.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be cautious of roaming charges.  Call your carrier and see what they offer and maybe contact the hotel and see if they can help.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't call a bank without getting some off-shore who has no idea what they're doing.  Why would I call my carrier for tech support anymore?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#35]
So verizon confirmed what has been posted here a few times. It seems if I dont want to go the eSim route than its $10/day/line for voice, text and data. Im thinking thats the easiest route. They said you will not get charged the $10/day if you dont use any voice/text/data. So we may just use 1 phone for that and leave the other line on airplane mode.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I just pay the $10/day and use my phone how I always do.  

This is a minimal expense compared to the overall trip itself.  For the convenience why would I do anything different?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is a minimal expense compared to the overall trip itself.  For the convenience why would I do anything different?
View Quote

Well when I posted this thread I didnt know that was an option. Its seems like the best bet for 7 days. We will keep the other line/phone on airplane mode unless of emergency.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well when I posted this thread I didnt know that was an option. Its seems like the best bet for 7 days. We will keep the other line/phone on airplane mode unless of emergency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what we do.  You can receive text and email over the wifi usually so you might not need to have either phone on cell service unless needed.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Bermuda, Bahamas come on pretty momma.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bermuda, Bahamas come on pretty momma.
View Quote

Ill be playing that song once we land.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#41]
The food in Aruba was bad ass.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#42]
If you go the e-sim data route (data only plan which is cheaper), download and install Google Voice BEFORE you leave.  Then forward your cell phone number to the Google Voice number.  That way you can not only receive all of you regular calls to your cell phone number, but you can also make outgoing calls back to the U.S. with a regular phone number (i.e. not everyone has WhatsApp or if you want to call a regular business in the U.S. it is simple).  I have personally used this method and it worked great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top