BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 11:18:39 AM EDT
12 minutes of amusement, from AVweb.

How to Fly the Pattern Without Making an #@$ of Yourself
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Guy who enters from initial and wears a flight suit checking in.

Also, perpetually NORDO because no electrical system, so unable to be asshole on the radio.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Raise your hand if you have even been almost hit base to final by a Bonanza (who definitely was not NORDO because he made his first CTAF call on a 1 mile final — and yes, he was straight in).

Non-towered airports can be like a Walmart parking lot sometimes.  (Note that I am not a frequent Walmart shopper, but have seen the instructional videos on the inter web.)

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Raise your hand if you have even been almost hit base to final by a Bonanza (who definitely was not NORDO because he made his first CTAF call on a 1 mile final — and yes, he was straight in).

Non-towered airports can be like a Walmart parking lot sometimes.  (Note that I am not a frequent Walmart shopper, but have seen the instructional videos on the inter web.)

View Quote

Be very wary when going into a fly-in breakfast!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The finest example of this I have personally experienced: three aircraft making three simultaneous approaches to two intersecting runways, two of the three using one of the runways in opposite directions. Thank goodness I was in a helicopter on the ground. I departed directly from the ramp at right angles to the whole mess and stayed low!

Second best in recent memory, but by all means not unusual of course: a flight of two ultralights making an overhead entry and only remembering they were not NORDO when they hit the downwind. Cut off the helicopter on right downwind (me) and some other poor dude in a plank on the left downwind. I let the plank driver yell at them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Much better than I expected.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Brilliant!  My 1st is always 45 into downwind, 2nd is straight in cause most of the time it was jsut me in the AO, last most used is high over center then into downwind.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
That is friggin awesome.....should be a must watch for any student pilot and during BFR's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I was flying an EMS C-90 years ago and was sent to a small, uncontrolled field in OK.  The ceilings were pretty low and required the RNAV approach.  When I broke out, I saw a yellow crop duster wings up in his turn to final right in front of me.  No radio calls were ever heard, and I'm guessing they probably didn't have one anyway.  Had we left 10 seconds sooner, I may not be here!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my favorites was a guy making a right pattern for 16 at DMW.
I had to tell him that 16 was a left pattern and 34 was a right pattern.
Fortunately he listened, thanked me, and didn't kill anyone that day.
And then there are the guys who don't bother with a callout until they weasel their way onto the Base leg.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost had a head on with one on short final a few years. We were landing on 27 and he took off 9 at some podunk airport in N CA. We were making position reports from 20 miles out. He wasnt talking at all. We got an RA from below us while at around 1000ft and then saw him bomb past us. On the ground there was a woman in a vehicle on the ramp and I asked her if she knew who was flying the plane that just took off. Turns out it was her husband doing a quick test flight on something he fixed. I told her to tell her asshole husband he almost killed us all. I probably would have strangled him if he was there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I found myself nearly head-on with a T6 flying “initial” but instead of flying towards and aligned with approach end of the runway he was offset towards the downwind. Also did not break over the approach end which would have likely avoided a very close call.

After a few choice words on the radio he ended up parking next to me on the ramp. Tried to blame me for the situation. Only time in my life I thought I’d come to blows with someone but my wife was there thankfully...

When you have more money than sense...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or, just don't know what you're doing...which is something that transcends the wealth of individuals.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Much better than I expected.

View Quote

One of the funniest things I ever saw in an airplane was our POI watching me (121 turboprop) get egregiously cut off by a Air Tractor during my line check.

As soon as we landed he looked at me and said “Don’t leave without me!” and proceeded to steam across the ramp to...discuss airmanship with the ag guy.

I get it...they’re working, and I’m working, too.

The local airport does have double non-standard pattern for turn and altitude. I wonder if that’s not something that could be broadcast on ASOS or something.

Of course this takes us down the NOTAM and A/FD modernization discussion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Got a few chuckles out of that, excellent vid!

Over the years I’ve flown into countless uncontrolled fields in t-props and jets. One of the harder things to coordinate at a busy uncontrolled field is mixing fast traffic into the pattern flow. IMO, a straight in approach is easily the safest and least disruptive for the fast airplane. The minimum speeds may be 50-100 knots faster than the rest of the pattern traffic, and the pattern altitude and distance away from the runway will be greater. We try not to be dicks, and fit ourselves into a busy pattern safely and courteously.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Must of my scary stories are from Blue Ash airport in Cincinnati, (now closed).  CVG's bravo was just to the south, and although there was plenty of room to climb above pattern altitude before turning away from it, most people didn't. When approaching the field, you had to worry about planes departing in every direction, most notably, straight out from downwind.  Three people died when a 172 on approach met a Bonanza that was departing the pattern straight out from downwind.  The closest I ever came was approaching the field on the upwind side, and locking eyes with a guy in a Cirrus that chose a midfield base turn as a departure, at pattern altitude, right out of the sun.  No radio calls.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I am disturbed by the lack of coverage of military student pilots.  Even in controlled airports the traffic can be silent, odd and inexplicable.  

KCRP has intersecting runways in a V.  It is common to have mil flying on one side, commercial and private on the other.  On several occasions I have had the mil guys turn across the other runway.  I think it was the only time I saw my instructor get flustered.  

Or do T-34 pilots fall under the Bonanza category?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Then there was the AA pilot with an old C150 taildragger that blasted off from the taxiway because he "just had to try out the new bullet" and then did an acrobatic 180 and landed in the wrong direction headed right at ME as I was landing our Bonanza after a long tiring flight. We had words. He was an asshole about it and asked me "what do you want me to do ,,apologize?". I said that would have saved your ass but there's more than one way to skin your dumb ass. The next day I was on the phone with the Chief Pilot for AA and explained the situation to him. Hilarity ensued. The shitbird CONFRONTED me about calling his bluff and then threatened me on the tarmac in front of several people. It didn't end well for the AA guy. He no longer works there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or do T-34 pilots fall under the Bonanza category?
View Quote

Navy guys...they're probably talking on Guard.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Jump plane pilots are the worst.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The reason people skydive?  It is safer than landing with a jump pilot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Then there was the AA pilot with an old C150 taildragger that blasted off from the taxiway because he "just had to try out the new bullet" and then did an acrobatic 180 and landed in the wrong direction headed right at ME as I was landing our Bonanza after a long tiring flight. We had words. He was an asshole about it and asked me "what do you want me to do ,,apologize?". I said that would have saved your ass but there's more than one way to skin your dumb ass. The next day I was on the phone with the Chief Pilot for AA and explained the situation to him. Hilarity ensued. The shitbird CONFRONTED me about calling his bluff and then threatened me on the tarmac in front of several people. It didn't end well for the AA guy. He no longer works there.
View Quote

He probably retired a millionaire.

But the user name checks out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Just remember, a smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for looking good in the break.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I fly skydivers in a Caravan and a Twin Otter.

I guess sometimes I'm that asshole!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I knew someone would hear me...  and not deny it.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ain't gonna lie, it looks like fun.  At least he isn't in the pattern very long.

Crazy Airplane Landing Captured On Video
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I ain't gonna lie, it looks like fun.  At least he isn't in the pattern very long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWse8UctLo4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it is fun, but can be exhausting.  On a busy summer weekend, we'll fly up to 30 loads, sometimes without getting out of the seat once.  

Most days, I prefer jumping out the back.  I have my AFF Instructor rating now, so I have pulled myself back to 'relief pilot' status and just fill in a bit here or there. Funny, I get paid more to jump than I do to fly!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it is!  I think that most people that complain are just jealous that they don't have an excuse to not follow the rules.

Of course, if you own the strip, you get to make your own rules.    
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh, it is fun, but can be exhausting.  On a busy summer weekend, we'll fly up to 30 loads, sometimes without getting out of the seat once.
View Quote

Bah! Try flying the helicopter fair ride gig sometime. 10 to 12 loads per hour x 8 hours with an endless variety of crazy pax. Now that will make you tired! And build your endurance. Crop dusting (which I've never done) is probably the most demanding, but at least there are no pax to deal with and consistent W&B.

FWIW, I have my D rating and was a static line jumpmaster. It was a fantastic sport in the 80's and early 90's, a lot more freewheeling than it is today. I would take my rig on business travel and jump all over the place. The day I got in trouble for not having a helmet in Phoenix was the first indication I had of the sport going all professional and corporate and stuff

Back on topic: shit happens, and an apology will go a long, long way. So far I've managed to cock up a pattern only once in my flying career. It was at a very busy fly-in where we were giving helicopter rides. The CTAF was extremely congested and I missed a call from a guy on final, and he missed my base call as well. We were doing the "helicopters avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic" thing and flying a right hand pattern. Anyhow I cut some poor guy off who was on final, saw him as I did it, turned back the other way, but he was rattled and went around. Back on the ground I swapped out with another pilot and found the other guy immediately and personally apologized to him, face to face. He was somewhat surprised to say the least and was quite the gentleman in accepting my apology. He didn't seem like the kind of guy who would have stormed over to give me a ration of shit either, which was also nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the video is funny because most of us have done something stupid at least once.

I was about about 15hrs in on a solo for pattern work.  KCRP is a class C, but is also notoriously windy.  Turned onto a 2m final and as taught, 30 degrees of flaps.  In a 25kn headwind.    I was first in line of 3 and everyone behind me had to slow way down.  Felt like It took a couple of weeks to make it to the runway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I found myself nearly head-on with a T6 flying “initial” but instead of flying towards and aligned with approach end of the runway he was offset towards the downwind. Also did not break over the approach end which would have likely avoided a very close call.

After a few choice words on the radio he ended up parking next to me on the ramp. Tried to blame me for the situation. Only time in my life I thought I’d come to blows with someone but my wife was there thankfully...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't be too hard on Stan.  Probably his XC rides or an out-and-back and T6 studs aren't always super high-speed at that point in training. Unless you're talking about some old fart in a civilian T-6, in which case he dun goofed.

Quoted:
I am disturbed by the lack of coverage of military student pilots.  Even in controlled airports the traffic can be silent, odd and inexplicable.  

KCRP has intersecting runways in a V.  It is common to have mil flying on one side, commercial and private on the other.  On several occasions I have had the mil guys turn across the other runway.  I think it was the only time I saw my instructor get flustered.

UHF Radio.  .mil is working on UHF frequencies as their primaries, and CRP has a LOA with the Navy and Air Force for training ops.  They're trying to keep you out of their way.

I've actually done approach work at KCRP before.  Decent weather for shooting an approach, good airport configuration for a circle, and a nice variety of stuff to work with.  Fairly demanding in a T-6, since you're hand-flying everything.  Thankfully only shot one there in that, in the T-1 it's easy since you just autopilot most of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't be too hard on Stan.
View Quote

He's referring to the actual T-6....not the Pilatus PC-9 Mk II.  :)

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I was on final one day into a small uncontrolled airport and as I'm just about 1/2 mile out a V tail Bonanza pulled onto the active to take off in the same direction I was going.  I had been on the radio the whole time I was in the pattern but apparently he wasn't on the radio.  When I saw him pull onto the active I radioed again I was on final.  Apparently he saw me this time as he immediately pulled back off.  The airplane belonged to a wealthy family that lived local and they treated he airport like it was there own.  But, he did pull back off the active so I did not have to fly over the top of him.  The closest I have been to a mishap.  

In the National Guard as a crew chief we got into some tree tops and had a compressor stall on a Huey in a ground effect hover.  Other than some chip lights I had a pretty good aviation career.

kwg
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m usually they guy in the Air Tractor with no radio.  

I try to fit in and stay out of the way, but getting stuck behind a Cessna on a 1 mile final? Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!  

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen that before.

And I'm still  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've seen that before.

And I'm still  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen that before.

And I'm still  

Typical meat bomber approach. Gotta get down before the bombs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top