Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2020 6:13:16 PM EDT
Just brewed this all-grain kit and pitched the yeast on Sunday (today is Wednesday).

I used Omega “Kveik” liquid yeast - which is supposed to ferment really fast.  Fermentation seems to have stopped.

This article on “speed brewing” got me thinking about bottling right away:

https://byo.com/article/speed-brewing/

But I have also read that the yeast should be allowed to “clean up” after themselves after active fermentation stops.

Could I bottle right away?  Or would the beer benefit from sitting longer on the yeast cake?

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the yeast.

That said, I would give it ten days minimum.  Fermentation continues even after the airlock stops bubbling.

Edit:  actually, go for it. Let us know how it turns out.  Always new things to be learned.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know the yeast.

That said, I would give it ten days minimum.  Fermentation continues even after the airlock stops bubbling.

Edit:  actually, go for it. Let us know how it turns out.  Always new things to be learned.
View Quote

Thanks Scottfire, I appreciate the input.

Here is the yeast I tried:

It supposedly works fine even at 98 degrees F.  Supposed to work really fast too.

Here is the description:

“Another Omega yeast strain with an absurdly wide fermentation range, this traditional Norwegian kveik can be traced back directly to the Gjernes farmstead. Similar to Hothead's mango-honey profile, Voss Kveik's orange and citrus notes come through clean across the recommended temperature range. Pair with citrusy, fruity hops for a match made in Valhalla!

Kveik refers to traditional Norwegian farmhouse brewing yeast that has been passed down from one generation to the next, literally being harvested and repitched for centuries. Over this long period of time, kveik developed certain characteristics that distinguish it from modern brewer's yeast. In general, kveik has a very high heat tolerance and will produce a consistent flavor profile across the fermentation temperature range. It's also a fast fermenter, highly flocculent, and has an above average alcohol tolerance.

Attenuation: 75-82%
Flocculation: Medium
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV
Optimum Fermentation Temp: 68-98°F
Cell Count: 150 Billion”

I fermented at 75 degrees.

I think I will take your advice and bottle on Saturday (6 days).  Then bottle condition for a week or two.

Will let you know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull a sample and do a gravity reading...Kveik is fast, so is pouring out a case of 'bottle bombs.'  ...if I've learned anything in homebrewing...the beer decides when it's ready.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Always take a gravity reading a couple days apart, if it doesn't change you should be good to bottle. I never used that yeast before, but a week to bottling seems fast, but maybe that's how that yeast is.

I've seen the results of a thicker than your normal beer bottle blow up, glass was everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve done fast before and repeatedly. English brown I keep regularly is 18 total days from brew day to drinking with bottle conditioning. 4primary 4 secondary and 10 in bottle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I give everything 2 weeks after fermentation stops  these days...... but everything I make now with the exception of lagers  is infected With multiple strains of lacto and brett I like to be really sure I won’t have a bomb on my hands.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, if these are “bottle-bombs” then I just lit the fuse.  

Bottling went well this morning.  

Will report back in a week (or sooner if anything exciting happens).

Thanks men!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Update:

It came out great!

Attachment Attached File

Delicious and full bodied; plenty of carbonation.  Actually tried it last weekend and it was also great.  

For blonds and lower ABV IPAs, I am not sure I will go much past 10 days in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top