Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2023 1:36:15 AM EDT
For a beginner, how often should I run?

I want to add running to my workout routine and was curious on how often I should be running. I am brand new to running, I wanted to wait until I lost some weight before I started to try and save my knees/joints (lost 55lbs so far). So now I'm ready to start

Any tips/advice for a beginner?

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
For a beginner I would say no more than three runs a week with at least one recovery day in between. You might want to start with intervals - run 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes, for a total of 25 minutes until you get accustomed to how it feels.

How old are you? That will make a bit of difference to what I would recommend...

I honestly have not thought about this much. I started running in high school, went directly into the military in the infantry and have been running ever since (well, not running 24/7 but I suppose you know what I mean...).
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for intervals. Using something like a Garmin watch would be helpful to track progress and things like VO2 max. Your body is capable of much more than you realize most likely, but obviously ease into things. Get a good pair of running shoes that you only wear for running.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a beginner I would say no more than three runs a week with at least one recovery day in between. You might want to start with intervals - run 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes, for a total of 25 minutes until you get accustomed to how it feels.

How old are you? That will make a bit of difference to what I would recommend...

I honestly have not thought about this much. I started running in high school, went directly into the military in the infantry and have been running ever since (well, not running 24/7 but I suppose you know what I mean...).
View Quote
28 y/o

Never ran because I have always been over weight (300lb+). I'm now 231lb so I want to start
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another vote for intervals. Using something like a Garmin watch would be helpful to track progress and things like VO2 max. Your body is capable of much more than you realize most likely, but obviously ease into things. Get a good pair of running shoes that you only wear for running.
View Quote
Got a Garmin Vivoactive 3 & just got a pair of Monstercloud running shoes from On Cloud, very comfortable
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Here was my first run from Sunday morning, I tried running as long as I could but I think I only ran about 1-2 minutes consistently, then walked for about 30 seconds then repeat.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good advise.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
First post is good advice. If you want a structured schedule to stick to, I'd check out one of the couch to 5k type programs. The most important thing is to stay healthy and uninjured. Injuries can set you way back, and it always feels crappy being at a lower level again because of them.

Are you already doing strength training?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First post is good advice. If you want a structured schedule to stick to, I'd check out one of the couch to 5k type programs. The most important thing is to stay healthy and uninjured. Injuries can set you way back, and it always feels crappy being at a lower level again because of them.

Are you already doing strength training?
View Quote
Yes been doing strength training for the last 5 months or so

Will check out the couch to 5k thing. Anyone you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes been doing strength training for the last 5 months or so

Will check out the couch to 5k thing. Anyone you recommend?
View Quote

I did couch to 5k back in the day when I was trying to build up my cardio (I have horrible asthma) and it went well.

I havent ran in years though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Great advice.

Ease into it. You're not going to win a race...right off the bat. Later? Yeah, definitely within your grasp given time and training. (Or, just hitting better and better personal goals.)

Don't be disappointed in your performance. It takes time to build up endurance and train your body to do what you want.

Injuries are the danger. Listen to your knees/shins/hips/back. If you're feeling pain, stop what you're doing.

Keep posting here with your progress. I think you'll be amazed how quickly your body adapts to what you make it do.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Stretch properly as well. Great advice above ^
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the tips fellas, Will look into that couch program and slowly start into it.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't look too much into it when I started.  I was lifting Mon/Wed/Fri, so I ran Tue/Thur and sometimes Sat.

Need to REstart again asap.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here was my first run from Sunday morning, I tried running as long as I could but I think I only ran about 1-2 minutes consistently, then walked for about 30 seconds then repeat.
View Quote

I would call that impressive for a first run.  Very good start. Run some, walk some - until you are running more than walking.

Sounds like you are starting where David Goggins was when he was preparing to join the Navy. If you don't know who he is do a search - lots of good motivation there.

Actually, I'm 64 and recovering from a knee injury (stupid stairway incident - not related to running). Looking forward to when I will be running again. Fighting my way back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a subjective thing and a lot of variables play into it.

Two to three times a week I think is a good running schedule. Depends on what distance, your age, physical condition, medical condition, and so forth. I'd stick to a treadmill on a 1% incline or rubber track surface (no incline obviously) if you want to really be careful about avoiding injury.   I would NEVER advocate running on concrete or asphalt, good way to develop stress fracture and/or destroy your knees.   If you run on dirt or grass (i.e. cross country terrain) be very careful about potholes, exposed roots, and loose soil/sand/mud.   Oh, and don't be that guy that thinks he going to go from the Couch to running in a plate carrier or with a ruck on, that's just full retarded and a guarantee to destroy your body.

The C25K App is an excellent app for new runners or those who have not run in a long time to methodically work up to a 5K distance and they have a 10K program if you want to go over 5K eventually.  This is a really great program, it will have you doing intervals up until around Week 7 (if I remember correctly).   It's going to start you off with very short runs broken up with longer walks and steadily switches it up until your runs are longer than your walks and soon your runs are going for longer and longer steadily and at a realistic progression.   There are times when you'll even feel like the program isn't pushing you hard enough, but follow it anyways and let it do its thing (trust in the program).   You can listen to music while you run the App, and the App will break into your music to let you know when to walk or run, when you're half way through, and when you've got one minute left so you can sort of check out brain wise and just do what it says without having to check anything (provided you have some headphones).

Good shoes, good soles made for running and to absorb impact.  Heart rate monitor watch or other smart device you can easily look at on your wrist is handy.  

Listen to your body.  Don't be some bull headed dude that sticks exactly to someone else's made for the masses schedule or program if your body is telling you to back off.  If you start feeling knee discomfort or shin discomfort listen to your body and maybe you cut down to two runs a week or you slow your pace down so you're not pounding the shit out of your joints and bones.  Everyone is different, nobody knows your body better than you.  

I wouldn't run more than three times a week. Running is NOT the only cardio on earth. Spend other days doing low impact cardio that still gets your heart BMP up into the 130s steady (bike, rower, swim, etc.).   Guys who are smart will run for years, guys who punish themselves like sadists are going to develop stress fractures, knee issues, and eventually they're going to have to give up running for long period of time and possibly will never run again.   Steady consistency wins every time over some balls out program for long term health and happiness.  Don't be David Goggins, don't put yourself through a simulated BUDS Hell Week, be smart.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you’re getting some good advice here.  3x/week is probably a good number, and don’t feel like you need to burn up the road right out of  the gate.  Start slow and let your heart/lungs/legs catch up a little and you’ll be surprised what you can do.  

If you don’t mind spending a few bucks, the “Run with Hal” app is a good program that will tailor to what you’re doing.  I like it because you just have to answer the questions it asks, and then it will come up with a detailed plan to follow to get to where you want to be.  Not too much deep thinking involved, just do the assignments.  I’m sure there are lots of other good options out there too.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a subjective thing and a lot of variables play into it.

Two to three times a week I think is a good running schedule. Depends on what distance, your age, physical condition, medical condition, and so forth. I'd stick to a treadmill on a 1% incline or rubber track surface (no incline obviously) if you want to really be careful about avoiding injury.   I would NEVER advocate running on concrete or asphalt, good way to develop stress fracture and/or destroy your knees.   If you run on dirt or grass (i.e. cross country terrain) be very careful about potholes, exposed roots, and loose soil/sand/mud.   Oh, and don't be that guy that thinks he going to go from the Couch to running in a plate carrier or with a ruck on, that's just full retarded and a guarantee to destroy your body.

The C25K App is an excellent app for new runners or those who have not run in a long time to methodically work up to a 5K distance and they have a 10K program if you want to go over 5K eventually.  This is a really great program, it will have you doing intervals up until around Week 7 (if I remember correctly).   It's going to start you off with very short runs broken up with longer walks and steadily switches it up until your runs are longer than your walks and soon your runs are going for longer and longer steadily and at a realistic progression.   There are times when you'll even feel like the program isn't pushing you hard enough, but follow it anyways and let it do its thing (trust in the program).   You can listen to music while you run the App, and the App will break into your music to let you know when to walk or run, when you're half way through, and when you've got one minute left so you can sort of check out brain wise and just do what it says without having to check anything (provided you have some headphones).

Good shoes, good soles made for running and to absorb impact.  Heart rate monitor watch or other smart device you can easily look at on your wrist is handy.  

Listen to your body.  Don't be some bull headed dude that sticks exactly to someone else's made for the masses schedule or program if your body is telling you to back off.  If you start feeling knee discomfort or shin discomfort listen to your body and maybe you cut down to two runs a week or you slow your pace down so you're not pounding the shit out of your joints and bones.  Everyone is different, nobody knows your body better than you.  

I wouldn't run more than three times a week. Running is NOT the only cardio on earth. Spend other days doing low impact cardio that still gets your heart BMP up into the 130s steady (bike, rower, swim, etc.).   Guys who are smart will run for years, guys who punish themselves like sadists are going to develop stress fractures, knee issues, and eventually they're going to have to give up running for long period of time and possibly will never run again.   Steady consistency wins every time over some balls out program for long term health and happiness.  Don't be David Goggins, don't put yourself through a simulated BUDS Hell Week, be smart.
View Quote
I looked at the reviews for the C25K app and it looks like its behind a paywall now and the app sells your info to third parties now
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the old and free None-To-Run plan from the days before there was an App.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Most folks have hit the big stuff already. However- your muscles adapt more quickly than your tendons and ligaments.

That’s why it’s important to take rest days and start more slowly than you think you may need to. Here are three ideas on that:

-I advocate for heavier folks or folks with stubborn tendonopathy to “cross train” via swimming, using an elliptical, rowing machine, or exercise bike to reduce those impacts.

-Your body likely can’t handle 5 run/ruck workouts per week and may not even like 3. Id probably do two runs and one walk per week, and make sure any other cardio is non-impact.

-Manage your volume appropriately as well. It’s generally recommended to do only one “long” (duration or distance) run or walk per week, and the other workouts should be focused on tempo, intervals, speed, etc.

Last, some thoughts on weight loss. In theory, it’s better for fat loss and general cardio health to do a long period of moderate heart rate aka 140-145bpm or less. This supposedly builds your cardio capability better than shorter bursts in zone 5/max heart rate or usually 175bpm+

It’s good to do some zone 5 stuff via sprints or intervals once or twice a week, but for long slow distance and building cardio capacity, keep the heart rate low- 130-145 is perfect. that might even mean walking more than running initially and that’s ok!!

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Start slow and listen to your body. Warm up a bit with a fast paced walk and ease into running with maybe a mile or so run with a walk cool down. Slowly build up your endurance as you go. Good shoes and good form mean a ton.

A lot will depend on how "fit" you are. Again , don't push too hard at first as your muscles begin to develop and change.

If you are training for a race or just to challenge yourself there are a few good training schedules listed online.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For a beginner, how often should I run?

I want to add running to my workout routine and was curious on how often I should be running. I am brand new to running, I wanted to wait until I lost some weight before I started to try and save my knees/joints (lost 55lbs so far). So now I'm ready to start

Any tips/advice for a beginner?

View Quote

Goals drive programming. Why do you want to run?

To reach a specific goal or time? To burn calories and support fat burning? Improve cardiovascular fitness?

Also hard to give advice on how to fit into your current fitness program without knowing that that program looks like.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Never ran because I have always been over weight (300lb+). I'm now 231lb so I want to start

Congrats.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most folks have hit the big stuff already. However- your muscles adapt more quickly than your tendons and ligaments.

That’s why it’s important to take rest days and start more slowly than you think you may need to. Here are three ideas on that:

-I advocate for heavier folks or folks with stubborn tendonopathy to “cross train” via swimming, using an elliptical, rowing machine, or exercise bike to reduce those impacts.

-Your body likely can’t handle 5 run/ruck workouts per week and may not even like 3. Id probably do two runs and one walk per week, and make sure any other cardio is non-impact.

-Manage your volume appropriately as well. It’s generally recommended to do only one “long” (duration or distance) run or walk per week, and the other workouts should be focused on tempo, intervals, speed, etc.

Last, some thoughts on weight loss. In theory, it’s better for fat loss and general cardio health to do a long period of moderate heart rate aka 140-145bpm or less. This supposedly builds your cardio capability better than shorter bursts in zone 5/max heart rate or usually 175bpm+

It’s good to do some zone 5 stuff via sprints or intervals once or twice a week, but for long slow distance and building cardio capacity, keep the heart rate low- 130-145 is perfect. that might even mean walking more than running initially and that’s ok!!

View Quote

I just want emphasize the slow pace in regards to HR here. If you don’t have a HR monitor, run at a pace where you can have a conversation while doing so (on the long runs). Then once a week incorporate sprint training.

Check out 80/20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0451470885?tag=arfcom00-20

It was recommended to me here and I bought it. My wife is using the techniques more than I (she runs more in preparation for her first marathon) and it really works.

My personal routine is 1 ruck, three 3.5-4 mile runs slow, and a day of sprinting. During the winter I switch to a stationary bike and rower.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Congrats.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top