Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 10/16/2018 3:39:02 PM EDT
So a buddy of mine is looking to repair a valve on a pool pump for an apartment complex.  I was asked if I wanted to make some money putting a plug in the pool, so he can open the piping to replace a valve, without having to drain the whole pool.  Don't have all the details, but shouldn't be hard.  I'm guessing in the water 10-20 minutes, water for a while while he works, no clue how long, and in the water again to take plug back out.

I'm thinking asking $150-$200.  You know, skilled specialized labor and all.   Not many plumbers can get a scuba diver to help.

Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Water is already to cold for me...
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It probably is for me too, and I only own a shorty wetsuit and a neoprene do rag for my head.    But I work outside in VA winters so it will get me in the mood for winter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sweet Jesus, man up!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sweet Jesus, man up!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn’t even need to pull out my drysuit. 5mm would be sufficient.

Geez, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
$250 is my minimum fee for a dive. That includes 1 hour.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
@MrHold for your answer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
This
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that this is going to be a gentleman's agreement sort of thing, so you're probably not going to get a real commercial wage out of it. If you want a commercial wage, you're going to have to deal with a bunch of regulations and OSHA gets involved and it's a pain in the ass.

I'd say ask for a hundred bucks so you don't look like you're trying to take advantage of him, and go grab lunch while he's doing his thing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that this is going to be a gentleman's agreement sort of thing, so you're probably not going to get a real commercial wage out of it. If you want a commercial wage, you're going to have to deal with a bunch of regulations and OSHA gets involved and it's a pain in the ass.

I'd say ask for a hundred bucks so you don't look like you're trying to take advantage of him, and go grab lunch while he's doing his thing.
View Quote
Yeah I realize this.  This guy is a hustler, and always is lining up things to make money as a middle man, and not actually do work.  :)  So I don't know yet what's really in store.   He is slow to respond to texts.  Yesterday I wrote to him that the colder it gets, the higher my fees go.  He just "lol'ed".   If it gets much cooler, I'll probably have to rent a wetsuit at least.  But if I can pocket a $100-150, I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So a buddy of mine is looking to repair a valve on a pool pump for an apartment complex.  I was asked if I wanted to make some money putting a plug in the pool, so he can open the piping to replace a valve, without having to drain the whole pool.  Don't have all the details, but shouldn't be hard.  I'm guessing in the water 10-20 minutes, water for a while while he works, no clue how long, and in the water again to take plug back out.

I'm thinking asking $150-$200.  You know, skilled specialized labor and all.   Not many plumbers can get a scuba diver to help.

View Quote
Can he pass the cost on to the customer?  How much time and money will it save him (and the customer) to have you plug the pool instead of draining it?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can he pass the cost on to the customer?  How much time and money will it save him (and the customer) to have you plug the pool instead of draining it?
View Quote
 He would definitely pass along the cost.  He never called me back, so don't know what he decided on it.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top