Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2021 11:48:53 PM EDT
I told my friend last October that I would go in with him on half from a local farm.  He said he was gonna get a half of black Angus.  So went I went to pick it up, I thought I was gonna get get a quarter.  Nope...  he bought the whole thing. Miscommunication I guess. So now I have half of one and there is no way I can finish this off.  What I have seen online is they say 12 months max.  Is this true?  It is all cut and vacuumed sealed and looks ok. I will donate the rest to a food bank if need be before it expires.  This was my first time buying it this much in bulk, so I am clueless.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what type of freezer you have.  I’m pretty picky when it comes to food safety and I would consider vacuum sealed meat in a chest style deep freezer good to go for several years. As long as there are no outages or any signs the freezer hasn’t been working properly.

ETA if you are near CO I’ll come buy some of that meat to ease your burden
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually frozen without any issues? Indefinitely.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Frozen, if will last indefinitely.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Yup.  “12 months”?  That’s just not true.  Beef fat doesn’t go rancid easily like, as an example, fish oils from an oily fish.

It will always be safe to eat.  

Is it vacuum sealed?  That will help protect the flavor even more so.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Forever.  Flavor and texture is another matter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
It might not taste really prime, but people have eaten frozen stuff found in the permafrost from the iceage

add some blackpepper and chillies

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.  Picked it up from the chop shop already sealed.  Came home, into the freezer, and has been frozen ever since.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Freezer burn yes, but still edible
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
You can't finish 1/2 beef in a year? Make your husband to learn to grill.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
As others have said, it is safe forever, but quality will degrade.  I would be pretty surprised if you didn't really eat it in less than a year.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#12]
For sure beef will last more than 12 months. After 1 year will still taste perfectly fine if frozen and thawed correctly. At some point, the taste starts to go away. It certainly takes longer than 1 year though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got a frozen, shrink wrapped turkey breast I am going to eat soon that I bought a couple of years ago.  It will be fine.  Anything in tough shrink wrap will prevent freezer burn, and you just buy it on sale and stock up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve grilled up some pretty good 2 year old ribeyes, lol.  Seriously as long as they’re sealed up nice. They can last a long time and the characteristics don’t deteriorate as fast as you would think.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Mastodon steaks are a thing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/12/permafrozen-dinner/604069/
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Weren't there some research dudes found a frozen woolly mammoth and ate some of it? Or was that an episode of that show? Northern exposure?

Beef don't last that long in my freezer before it gets eaten; I did throw out some 4-yr old feral hog that was tough as dry rawhide, but I ate the venison from the same year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I've eaten 5 year old vacuum sealed tri-tips and pork butts.  No issues.

Key is vacuum sealed, and then not letting that barrier be breached.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've eaten 5 year old vacuum sealed tri-tips and pork butts.  No issues.

Key is vacuum sealed, and then not letting that barrier be breached.
View Quote
This; even if the seal is broken just look for freezer burn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Repackage and vacuum seal.  Also use a traditional (non frost-free) freezer.  I've eaten beef that was 5 yrs old
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#20]
In the early days/weeks after the quakes here we had freezer burnt beef that was older than my kids, wasn't exactly Haute Cuisine, but it was a meal...
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If the freezer is NOT frost-free, the meat can stay there indefinitely and be safe.  If it IS frost-free, it's like a year or two *technically*, but it's probably safe longer than that.

Now, that's SAFE.  Whether it TASTES GOOD will depend on how you packaged it.  If it was well vacuum-sealed, it'll still taste fine after an impressive amount of time.  If not, it'll be freezer-burned, and not taste as good (although freezer burn itself does not make it unsafe to eat.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine comes wrapped in plastic with freezer paper around that . My last package of cube steaks from 3 yrs ago is still in the freezer and I just had some about a week ago that were fine.  Vac seal it will make it last even longer in good condition so long as it stays frozen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Safe?

A couple years easy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]
People have eaten frozen mammoth meat that's thousands of years old

Up in the Arctic cold, frozen woolly-mammoth carcasses can be so well preserved that they still have blood in their veins. Their flesh is still pink—which means that, of course, yes, someone has thought about eating it. Tales of dining on woolly mammoths frozen since the Ice Age range from the fantastical to the truer and grosser. Let us start—why not?—with the fantastical stories.

In 1901, an expedition to the Beresovca River in Siberia found a male mammoth so exquisitely preserved that it still had grass in its mouth. The mammoth’s bones and skin were put on display in St. Petersburg, and its flesh was, supposedly, served at a “mammoth banquet.” The meal was a hit, according to one glowing account, ”particularly the course of mammoth steak, which all the learned guests declared was agreeable to the taste, and not much tougher than some of the sirloin furnished by butchers of today.”

Half a century later, the Explorers Club put on its own exotic feast in New York. This time, the prehistoric flesh reportedly came from a carcass found in the Aleutian Islands, by a Jesuit-turned-geologist known as the Glacier Priest. Each diner got mere slivers of meat, but those slivers made quite the impression. Guests went home bragging of their Ice Age dinner. But they later disagreed over whether the meat was really supposed to be mammoth or mastodon or an extinct giant sloth called megatherium.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/12/permafrozen-dinner/604069/
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#25]
If it's all been vacuum packed as your wrote in the op, you've got a couple years.  If you don't have a generator, get one, there's nothing worse than losing a steer because the power went down.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I told my friend last October that I would go in with him on half from a local farm.  He said he was gonna get a half of black Angus.  So went I went to pick it up, I thought I was gonna get get a quarter.  Nope...  he bought the whole thing. Miscommunication I guess. So now I have half of one and there is no way I can finish this off.  What I have seen online is they say 12 months max.  Is this true?  It is all cut and vacuumed sealed and looks ok. I will donate the rest to a food bank if need be before it expires.  This was my first time buying it this much in bulk, so I am clueless.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Until it thaws out and starts to rot.  Simple, really.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#27]
We have frozen meat in our freezer from 2018 and it is still just fine.  Just make sure it is well wrapped.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, you don't need to follow guidelines to a T. If your nose works, then you should have no problem telling if meat is bad or good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Last week I ate a ribeye with an August 2020 date and it was fine. As long as it's vacuum sealed it should last a few years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Properly wrapped I've had 8 year old beef no issues. Just check for freezer burn.

Best way to wrap for me is thick plastic wrap then white butcher paper
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Ate a steak the other night that was 2016.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did it taste in comparison to one that is ~ 12 months old?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Firstly, go on a meat eating bender. I mean a weekend of self induced meat sweat comas. Afterwards, repeat for 7 days until you put a notable dent in the beef. Then place remaining beef in freezer. Make sure to consume remaining beef haul within 30 days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I just had some Mastodon filets last night.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just had some Mastodon filets last night.
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Unless its vacuum sealed watch out for freezer burn. It won't last a year in the store wrapping.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Forever...

Attachment Attached File

Dude in pic carving off a prime toe steak!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Frozen will always be safe, but it may not be palatable.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#40]
It never gets dangerous, the taste can change though. Better wrapping makes it last longer. I’m eating 2-3 year old ground deer meat that tastes fine.

Iirc some Russians ate 10,000 year old  defrosted mammoth .
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#41]
2 years no problem for taste if vacuum packed
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I served (.mil) in Italy, in the early 1990s.

I remember clearly seeing (and eating) date-stamped, frozen meats from Argentina dated 1970s in the Roman military kitchens.

So, there's that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I had 3 year old ribeye that was at the bottom of the freezer the other night.  It was pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just ate some over a year old and I didn’t die.

Arctic expeditions actually fed thousand year old mammoth meat to the sled dogs and they did fine.

In 1901, an expedition to the Beresovca River in Siberia found a male mammoth so exquisitely preserved that it still had grass in its mouth. The mammoth’s bones and skin were put on display in St. Petersburg, and its flesh was, supposedly, served at a “mammoth banquet.” The meal was a hit, according to one glowing account, ”particularly the course of mammoth steak, which all the learned guests declared was agreeable to the taste, and not much tougher than some of the sirloin furnished by butchers of today.”
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Just did 6 pounds of chuck roast that was “best by 3/14/2020.’  

No ill effects here. And my freezer is garbage.

Wow meat was so much cheaper back then.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#47]
We bought half a cow every year when I was a kid. The only thing that made the older stuff inedible was freezer burning on stuff that got buried in the chest freezer over multiple years
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep- though ice crystals damage the meat
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You can't finish 1/2 beef in a year? Make your husband to learn to grill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I put up a lot of venison each year.  I use a vacuum sealer.  The other night I ate some backstrap steaks from 2018.  There was a small amount of freezer burn where the vacuum wasn't perfect but otherwise it tasted great.

I have had pork butts in the store rap for well over a year with no ill effect.  Air is the issue for freezer burn otherwise there really is no time limit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top