Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2021 4:15:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Twist your wire nuts so you see the wires twisting around each other, at least 3 turns  below the nut is what I recommend.  Wire nuts do fall off, and having them twisted together like that means a better chance of it not coming apart and/or sparking in the box.  

Undo your ground and tie it in with all the other grounds. You don't really want to have two hooks on a post like that ever.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
0.187/10. Wood not turn hot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Twist your wire nuts so you see the wires twisting around each other, at least 3 turns  below the nut is what I recommend.  Wire nuts do fall off, and having them twisted together like that means a better chance of it not coming apart and/or sparking in the box.  

Undo your ground and tie it in with all the other grounds. You don't really want to have two hooks on a post like that ever.
View Quote

The green nut has both grounds and [EDIT: maybe] a third bare wire which is wrapped twice around the post on the toggle switch.

This is the how they had it originally, I haven’t touched this part.

I added the green wire to the end of that wrapped twice ground wire.

New angle:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The green nut has both grounds and [EDIT: maybe] a third bare wire which is wrapped twice around the post on the toggle switch.

This is the how they had it originally, I haven't touched this part.

New angle:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80868/01C8C458-1F12-4556-92B1-4B7D11C2274B_jpe-1833830.JPG

View Quote
OK I'm going to be more blunt.

DO NOT PUT TWO WIRES AROUND A SCREW TERMINAL!!!  Undo the original (big green wire nut) and add your new ground into it.

Additionally.  Was this originally a single pole or a 3 way switch.  I'm trying to figure out why you tied a 14/3 and a 14/2 line together, which by the way isn't good.  is this for a ceiling fan?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

DO NOT PUT TWO WIRES AROUND A SCREW TERMINAL!!!  Undo the original (big green wire nut) and add your new ground into it.
View Quote

Screws are designed for a single wire.
There are some devices that use clamping plates that can take two wires.
They almost always must be the same size.

If you really want to get two leads off a screw wrap a length of wire around the screw
and then use the two ends to make connections.

If you are working with insulated wire you cut a window in the insulation to make the connection.

While jumpers and pigtails do not count in box fill, being able to make compact connections
while staying within box fill rules (and practical considerations)  can take some tricks.

GFCI devices take up a lot of box space, but still only count as two wire allowances.

At least that is decent workmanship.

With everything going on in that box, look for some WAGO connectors.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Additionally.  Was this originally a single pole or a 3 way switch.  I'm trying to figure out why you tied a 14/3 and a 14/2 line together, which by the way isn't good.  is this for a ceiling fan?
View Quote

It's just one wire wrapped around the screw terminal.

The setup they had was a rotary switch to a ceiling fan (without any lighting) and that toggle switch that cut power to the whole room.

The crazy part is that they have a red and a black, but no white, feeding the system.

I'm getting an electrician to redo the setup.

-
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I'm getting an electrician to redo the setup.  
View Quote

If an electrician installed that crap in the first place, what makes you think an electrician will fix it?

If you can find one who will come for such a small job, they will charge you, that much is certain.

You have a mess there.  Figure out how to clean it up and do it yourself.

Make a diagram of the wiring as it exists, so you do not lose track of what goes where and where it came into the box.  The photos help but you may need more.

IMO, the wires are too long and are causing a problem rather than helping.  They contribute to the spaghetti you have there.  You need some as a service loop but too much is, well,... too much.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the how they had it originally, I haven't touched this part.

New angle:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80868/01C8C458-1F12-4556-92B1-4B7D11C2274B_jpe-1833830.JPG

There aren’t two wires on any screw post in those pictures

The electrician used a pass through ground nut, looped the ground wire around the screw terminal and on to the next outlet

No idea if it’s code or not, but the OP didn’t do that

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Grounding-Connectors-Twist-Green/dp/B001EY0UZQ
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The setup they had was a rotary switch to a ceiling fan (without any lighting) and that toggle switch that cut power to the whole room.

The crazy part is that they have a red and a black, but no white, feeding the system.

-
View Quote

When I looked carefully that may be what it is.
That method is legitimate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There aren’t two wires on any screw post in those pictures

The electrician used a pass through ground nut, looped the ground wire around the screw terminal and on to the next outlet

No idea if it’s code or not, but the OP didn’t do that

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Grounding-Connectors-Twist-Green/dp/B001EY0UZQ
View Quote

This ^^^

It's not 2 wires, it's just 1...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Do not put stranded wire under a screw, either crimp a fork connector on it or splice a solid wire and then go to the screw.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
It this a troll tread or a legit question? Can't tell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It this a troll tread or a legit question? Can't tell.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]
With what I'm seeing is your new switch will only work if the left one is ON.

And also that black wire in the 1st pic in front of the green wire nut looks almost pinched and bent in 2. I wouldnt turn that circuit on with that, disregarding all the other things.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And also that black wire in the 1st pic in front of the green wire nut looks almost pinched and bent in 2. I wouldnt turn that circuit on with that, disregarding all the other things.
View Quote

Thats what I thought also.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

They did set it up that way, the toggle switch cuts power to the whole room.

The ceiling fan switch was a rotary with two black wires.

That ceiling fan has since been removed and replaced with an overhead light.

I was looking to change the rotary switch to this on/off HomeKit WiFi light switch.

As you can see the WiFi switch has four wires.

-
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Yikes..
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They did set it up that way, the toggle switch cuts power to the whole room.

The ceiling fan switch was a rotary with two black wires.

That ceiling fan has since been removed and replaced with an overhead light.

I was looking to change the rotary switch to this on/off HomeKit WiFi light switch.

As you can see the WiFi switch has four wires.

-
View Quote

120 V in, neutral, ground, switched output.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-
View Quote

So what are the white wires that I see and that you pigged tailed off of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top