Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2018 11:27:11 PM EDT
Been working with a Paasche Talon for 7 or 8 years or so. I kept having issues with it leaking air in the cup and no matter what I did to stop it, nothing would work. I sent it into Paasche to have them look at it.

I thought about buying a new brush, then decided to give Iwata a shot. They are supposedly some of the best air brushes available.

Went with the mid level Revolution. I don't do anything fancy, just 1/35 armor.

first time I used it, everything went fine. Applied a decent camo pattern on a Dragon Jagdtiger I am working on at the moment. Afterwards I took it apart and cleaned her up real good and sat the pieces on a paper towel to dry.

A few days later I wanted to do some road wheels, so I started to put the brush together. I got to the nozzle, and went to snug it down, and the thing just spun freely. The nozzle broke right at the neck above the threads. I swear I barely touched it with the wrench. The nozzle is ridiculously fragile.

Looked up the price on new ones and they are around 25.00. Yeah, I think not.

I politely wrote them an email and told them what my problem was. I'll see if I can get a replacement nozzle at no cost even though it was probably my fault.

Paasche went far and beyond for customer service.  I received a brand new gravity feed Talon in the mail today free of charge. Different than the older one, newer model I reckon. Nice!
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
For all the hype I only see a few guys using Iwatas.

For me they were really out of my price range, I wanted the new Tamiya black one, which was a Iwata clone.  This also turned out to be unobtainium in the USA.

So after looking around a bit I settled on a Badger RK-1  Renegade Krome.  Made in the USA, very affordable, and available.

This thing will do from hairlines to about 1/4-1/2inch patterns.  I am using my big garage compressor where the gage doesn't really show well at low pressures, but it sprays really well at low pressure.  I need to get a water trap, and a low pressure gage for my airbrush hookup.

I've done 3 1/72 vehicles with it so far, 2 of them with 3 color camo patterns.  Very easy and effortless with the RK-1 and acrylics.
I use tamiya and model master acrylics, thinned.

PLASMO and other scale modelers on youtube seldom say they use Iwata, most use other local brands, mainly european.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using the Iwata HP-CS for years.  Great airbrush!  I also use a Grex for larger areas/models. Have the fan attachment for this one.
I picked the Iwata up at Hobby Lobby using one of their 50% off coupons.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Airbrush parts (as well as airbrushes) here:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Airbrushing-Supplies/
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Talon I use for clear coats and primer.  Always have bubbles in the cup unless I put a little Chapstik on the nozzle threads.  I use an Iwata HP-CS I use for paint and love it...huge nozzle with a compression fit...no pesky threads on a tiny nozzle!

Dave
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I own several Iwatas, a couple of Badgers, a few "cheap" Masters and a Grex.

The biggest issue I have with the Iwata is they tend to split the nozzle a little more than others. But before that happens they work like butter.

My go to GP airbrush is the Badger Renegade Velocity with the tall trigger. For very fine work I prefer the Badger Sotar. It is crazy how fine a line you can get with one of them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Oops wrong thread
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Revolution and Neo Iwatas are the cheap entry-level airbrushes. Made cheap, so expect expect cheap results.

I have an HP-C Plus and 2 HP-CS airbrushes.

The C Plus gives me paint control for fine paint details.

HP-CS for just about everything/general purpose. kind of like a can-do-all airbrush

My other CS airbrush just sits in a box. I accidentally bought 2...So I haven't decided if I want to sell it or put a 0.5mm needle and nozzle in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top