Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2020 10:37:15 PM EDT
https://youtu.be/82pMvn8T12U

Does this thing have computer control for stability? Thought a lot of modern planes were inherently unstable like the f16 and needed computers to control the flight surfaces.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a wild ass guess, but there is probably something like This in the loop
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised to see electronic stability augmentation nowadays,
View Quote
There all sorts of stability aids available now for very little money.  A single axis rate damper gyro can be had for under $10.

Most significantly, even though it looks scale it might not be.  Small changes you can't see with your eyes can make a huge difference in how a model flies.  There are flying wing models with no vertical surface that fly fine with no electronic aids and no yaw control.  A small change in wing shape can easily make an unstable plane stable.  And models have huge power/weight ratios so increasing drag doesn't really matter(i.e. the split ailerons open slightly all the time to increase stability by moving drag center to the rear).
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There all sorts of stability aids available now for very little money.  A single axis rate damper gyro can be had for under $10.

Most significantly, even though it looks scale it might not be.  Small changes you can't see with your eyes can make a huge difference in how a model flies.  There are flying wing models with no vertical surface that fly fine with no electronic aids and no yaw control.  A small change in wing shape can easily make an unstable plane stable.  And models have huge power/weight ratios so increasing drag doesn't really matter(i.e. the split ailerons open slightly all the time to increase stability by moving drag center to the rear).
View Quote
This covers it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Interest ing. Was always curious when i saw f16 and similar models flying.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Well this thread just cost me an hour down the youtube rabbit hole!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I am new to RC this last year.  I read way too much on the net.

There are many 3 axis stabilization modules and now 6 axis.   Either in the radio receiver or an add on module.

I have Spektrum brand AS3X in two planes and have tried a Lemon brand stabilization receiver with immediate failure.

The tech is there but they don’t fix all.   They won’t fix a wing tip stall.

Hech my first plane had GPS that facilitated autolanding, no fly safety zones and a hold that flys a circular pattern.  Not without issues either.  The GPS was more troublesome than valuable.   The AS3X stabilization feature was good and helps keep the twitchiness down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top