Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2022 1:42:27 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a new/one time use shipping container. I have pictures of all of the tags & #s on the container.

How do I find out what was shipped in said container?

I want to make sure it’s cargo didn’t consist of any harmful chemicals?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine bought a couple to do an improvised hunting shack. He was strongly advised to rip out the wood floor and have the interior scrupulously steam cleaned no matter what the seller says or believes was shipped in it. Chances are the wood in the floor contains a multitude of crap, corruption, and sins.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask the chinese people that were smuggled inside of it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am looking to purchase a new/one time use shipping container. I have pictures of all of the tags & #s on the container.

View Quote

If you buy used and it needs to not contain harmful chemicals then you need to redo the interior - period.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would agree on a used one.

There is a BIG difference in the inside of a used one, and a new one.

New ones are only used once on the trip over here. It could have been used to ship cases of peanut butter, or it could have been used to ship cases of something toxic.

They do treat the floors with pesticides to keep insects from destroying them, but there are methods to deal with that.

There is suppose to be a way to find out what it’s cargo was.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Shouldn’t the carrier have a hazmat sheet associated with it? Load or Empty/Residue?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Just hose it out. What are you gonna store in it produce?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you buy used and it needs to not contain harmful chemicals then you need to redo the interior - period.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct. That’s why I’m looking at a new/one time use.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would agree on a used one.

There is a BIG difference in the inside of a used one, and a new one.

New ones are only used once on the trip over here. It could have been used to ship cases of peanut butter, or it could have been used to ship cases of something toxic.

They do treat the floors with pesticides to keep insects from destroying them, but there are methods to deal with that.

There is suppose to be a way to find out what it’s cargo was.
View Quote

New =! used once.

If it is used - ever - then treat it as though it's stored all manner of horrific crap that spilled over onto the inside floor/walls/ceiling.

If you want new you're going to pay a large amount of money for a domestically built container. It would likely cost more than buying used and redoing the inside.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of them are food grade, they carry bulk grains, beans or foods not in sealed containers like bagged or boxed goods.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry, OP.  I'm sure it only had a few tons of carfentanil in it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
You won’t be able to. Even if you find the original shipping documents they lie about it all the time. If it’s that toxic is probably isn’t shipped in a conex box.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Even if you could get access to the manifest, odds are it isn't true or accurate.

Just assume it was bad and you should clean it however you feel is best.

Edit to add, dont waste your time, you will not get access to the cargo manifest.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Do the sniff test. One the Parks and Rec guys used for storage smelled so strongly of ammonia the neighbors complained.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 shipping containers I use for storage. One doesn't have much smell, the other one smells like a Harbor Freight store but stronger.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a brand new one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have 2 shipping containers I use for storage. One doesn't have much smell, the other one smells like a Harbor Freight store but stronger.
View Quote

The one I’m looking at is in awesome condition inside, and out. It does smell like caulk though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
From the look of the replies, it’s going to be a lost cause trying to find any shipping manifests.

I’ve searched, and searched. All over the internet people are saying, “be sure to find out it’s past cargo contents! It’s easy!”, but nobody can tell you how to do it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From the look of the replies, it’s going to be a lost cause trying to find any shipping manifests.

I’ve searched, and searched. All over the internet people are saying, “be sure to find out it’s past cargo contents! It’s easy!”, but nobody can tell you how to do it.
View Quote

as I said, rip out the floor, and steam clean the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
New ones are only used once on the trip over here.
View Quote

Wrong.

I'm not aware of a way to even verify the number of total trips a container has made let alone contents. I've only done limited research.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Trap a neighborhood cat.  Lock it inside with food and water for 1 week.  If it survives you're probably good to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Trap a neighborhood cat.  Lock it inside with food and water for 1 week.  If it survives you're probably good to go.
View Quote

That would smell worse than if it was used to ship bulk, unboxed chlorine tablets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wrong.

I'm not aware of a way to even verify the number of total trips a container has made let alone contents. I've only done limited research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New ones are only used once on the trip over here.

Wrong.

No, what I said is not wrong. In the shipping container sales industry a new container is also referred to as a used once container. They fill it up with cargo on its trip over here instead of shipping an empty container.

Now somebody could lie, and say one that was used a couple of times is a new/once used container.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Have therm do a wash out at a Blue Beacon on the way over for $100.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One-time used is not new.

I suppose you could ask for the bill of lading and the container number will be on it, but I'm not sure how you can tell from once used, thrice used, or maybe even a half dozen round trips.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Trip the dead man's switch?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Let's call one of our SMEs on the subject:  @Win337Mag.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Treat them all like they contained methyl-ethel death.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:42:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Order one from Amazon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I always assumed that containers were used more than once.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:05:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do the sniff test. One the Parks and Rec guys used for storage smelled so strongly of ammonia the neighbors complained.
View Quote

Not good enough. Gotta taste it
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Nobody right now is letting you have a "one time used" shipping container. They are going to charge you $200 a day in fees for a good container not in use.

If it is an open top, you are double fucked.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Aren't Container homes a waste of money?
I mean, if you're doing it purely for aesthetics... sure.

But I heard that you really don't save any money building a home out of a shipping container.
You're still going to need insulation put in.... which means you're going to need framing anyway. You'll have to put in moisture barriers, drywall, etc. By cutting out windows, you're weakening the structural integrity of the shipping container, which then requires more reinforcement.

Its basically like framing up a house... INSIDE a shipping container. The only material you aren't "doubling up on" is the the subfloor... and the exterior of the container I guess takes the place of siding?

You don't end up saving any money, and perhaps spend more money than traditional building methods.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:36:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Are those the elusive 8'-6" wide boxes?

I need one in AZ.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Try the forum and resources on GCapatain

https://gcaptain.com/ A Shipping and ocean industries news source and community forum site.

TL;DR below about why you want to be on their mailing list

Their news articles on the shipping of all goods, oil rig news , energy production installation, and  their special ships news . Plus  cargo movement and loss on the oceans news gives you a good 3-6 months ahead  clue for what is coming to our fuel pump prices and/or store shelves or lack there over. MSN News isn't telling that shipping container rental rates that used to cost $2,000 usd to ship from china to USA full of goods now cost $20,000+ usd for that same shipment.    

GCaptain also covers  shipping accidents in  better detail.

Before "that disease I can't name for fearing a COC" hit  the news and radar of people, Gcaptain  were having   articles on why are we not seeing normal freighter ship traffic  leaving China, as it was several months before the factories shut down for their new year holidays.  Much like truckers, sea fares and railroaders have insider clues about  shit ain't moving, coming and/or leaving the yards......   So their daily email is pretty damn good for interesting heads up, and some cool geekiness if into big machinery.  By the when When port crane get hits by a ship or taken out another way,  they use fall down like those AT-AT in the  "Empire Strikes back" scary and cool, just hope the slow folding down speed lets the crane op live.

Their shipping accidents, is where people in the industry can send videos and have them released while being protected from someone that isn't big corporate media sell out https://gcaptain.com/category/accidents/  If you wonder what happens when an unstoppable objects meets an unmovable object this will show you various outcomes. Much better than are old much beloved "Ship Happens" ful Fail Boats galleries at http://www.cargolaw.com/gallery.html

When the Beirut Port had that massive explosion from warehoused  forgotten about huge ass stockpile of ammonium nitrate that blew apart the port and surrounding area they were the first with photos and videos and had the best coverage. https://gcaptain.com/?s=Beirut+  That could have been in any country easily, imagine what type of spin they would put to cover that up such much dangerous material was sitting for years in warehouse unprotected...... here in the USA.   and Damn Beirut can't even catch a break   in rare  peace time....

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One-time used is not new.

I suppose you could ask for the bill of lading and the container number will be on it, but I'm not sure how you can tell from once used, thrice used, or maybe even a half dozen round trips.
View Quote

There’s no way you’re going to get access to BOL information.

You’re not going to find out what was shipped in it.

If you’re not a party to the bill of lading, either shipper, consignee, or notify party, the carrier won’t even talk to you.

I’ve been in the industry since 1993.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got four containers on my property right now.

Worrying about what was in them is really dumb.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#39]
What are you wanting to do with it Op? Members may have other suggestions or ideas that may help you. Idk about where you are but containers are expensive as hell up here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Look for hazmat placard stickers that have been removed.

Big diamond shaped sticky spot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top