Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2019 12:50:27 AM EDT
Blackhawks. Do they break them down and put them in cargo planes? Put them on ships and take a 3 week cruise?
Friend’s son in law flies and is going over for a year. It just got me wondering.about the logistics of getting shorter range aircraft to the otherside of the world.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Rotors fold.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
This is how we returned from Saudi back to Germany after Desert Storm. Shipped on a cargo ship.

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Good thing you asked here.  There is NO way you could find on the internet how the United States has been moving helicopters overseas since the Korean war.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Boom, mic drop.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is how we returned from Saudi back to Germany after Desert Storm. Shipped on a cargo ship.

https://i.imgur.com/Cr9a2yu.jpg
View Quote
Thats a lot of shrink wrap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Blackhawks. Do they break them down and put them in cargo planes? Put them on ships and take a 3 week cruise?
Friend’s son in law flies and is going over for a year. It just got me wondering.about the logistics of getting shorter range aircraft to the otherside of the world.
View Quote
Some are air lifted. Some are out on ships to go to port, then flown on airlift from closer locations. Most units fall in on equipment already there. It just depends.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good thing you asked here.  There is NO way you could find on the internet how the United States has been moving helicopters overseas since the Korean war.
View Quote
If only some one could come up with a feature that would search millions of websites for a specific term or phrase in fraction of seconds........
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]
We just hitch a ride....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If only some one could come up with a feature that would search millions of websites for a specific term or phrase in fraction of seconds........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang you site resources!
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
T'is difficult to believe.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#13]
We put them in C5s or on Boats.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Psssst.  Here is a hint.  There is a lot of water between here and there.  What conveyance might be able to carry large loads of short range aircraft over a lot of water?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Watched a video of those MN boys taking off today. My buddy flew Blackhawks and now flies Chinooks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#16]
As a general rule of thumb, people fly and equipment floats.

Exceptions are for things like the global response force (all designed to be rapidly deplorable by air) and MEUs on deployment, equipment that flies with the troops, and troops that float with the equipment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#17]
We (My unit) flew in on CH-47's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
All the way from the United States?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, just from KAF to FOB Wilson.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Funny you asked this. My buddy just did this a couple days ago. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#21]
They air drop them from cargo planes.
They start the engine mid flight and The rotors unfold as the craft exits the ramp.
It's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Typically go by boat to Iraq, cargo planes to the Stan.

I think we could fit 9 in a C17.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:35:15 AM EDT
[#23]
This is how when I was deployed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Trebuchets. Big ones.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#25]
When we deployed CONUS it was C-5's, when we deployed to exotic places like Haiti it was boats.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They start the engine mid flight and The rotors unfold as the craft exits the ramp.
It's pretty neat.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty neat.
Look Winston... I a secret operator... I dont usually tell the secrets, but this was just released from top secret.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Like Men!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#29]
For some reason,that reminds me of turkducken
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:06:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does it matter?  Look at all of the cool pictures this thread has brought out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
They don't look to be secured to the deck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's pretty neat.
View Quote
 Should have been the first post.
 We once had a boot believing that helicopters had ejection seats times with the rotors.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I thought they dumped them into the ocean?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're no longer on a boat?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Psssst.  Here is a hint.  There is a lot of water between here and there.  What conveyance might be able to carry large loads of short range aircraft over a lot of water?
View Quote
They definitely bring them to the Afghan ports on boats.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I had always assumed that Apaches were built in a factory somewhere.

Had no idea they were actually born

It was a forbidden love, the C-5 and the Chinook knew they shouldn't be together. The other aircraft would talk, and they would be shunned...
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Doctrinally, Army blackhawks are worldwide self deployable.  You install extra fuel tanks and they can cross the Atlantic Ocean and reach anywhere in the world without air/boat transport.  They also are the only US helicopter with full deice capability and can fly indefinitely in icing conditions to cross the Atlantic in all but the worst winter weather conditions.

But helicopters are slow, so you put them on a boat or plane to go long distances.  The last significant "self deployment" I know of was desert storm - lots of helicopters flew themselves from west Europe to Saudi.  But thats only a couple thousand miles and mostly over land so not a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#41]
https://www.msc.navy.mil/sealift/2009/June/afghanistan.htm

One of the things the US Military has is an incredible logistics force.

https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/601087-50th-anniversary-usaf-hh-3e-transatlantic-crossing.html

Air-to-Air Refueling Transatlantic crossing
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They use their dirigibles.
View Quote
I worked a project a few years ago that looked at just that, using "lighter than air" aircraft to move men and equipment. Interesting concept and IIRC the goal was to move a brigade of Infantry Marines, with their equipment, from west coast CONUS to Korea in 3 days from the GO word. It was possible. Big Air Force and the fighter jock mafia didn't like it though.

Bunch of info here

The gentleman that was pursuing the concept was Chuck Meyers. Here's a paper on  CAS that he wrote.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
up until the 90s yes. Now everything goes to DRMO for demil and recycling.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It was a forbidden love, the C-5 and the Chinook knew they shouldn't be together. The other aircraft would talk, and they would be shunned...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yea it's a pretty messy process, hydraulic fluid gets everywhere, little apache dude can't control it's gun quite yet so people are getting flagged constantly. Thankfully they can't fire live loads till they're a bit older. Cute little buggers though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
So it is dirigibles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I apologize for wasting site resources.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Just think of all the wasted resources moving all of this shit constantly back and forth.  Should've just left a whole set there for people to fall in on.  Fly/ship in/out as necessary for heavy maintenance or replacement
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#48]
It's the same garbage for USAF units deploying. When a squadron deploys, their aircraft go with them. The logistics of taking a 12 or 18-ship package of A-10's across the pond is nuts. Maintenance teams deploy to staging locations across the path to the end location. Then the outgoing unit does the same in reverse. Instead of stationing a group of aircraft at a location and rotate the people in and out, we keep moving entire squadrons of planes, equipment, tools and parts back and forth. The cost is enormous and the toll on planes, parts and test equipment that aren't produced anymore is just plain silly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's pretty neat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's pretty neat.

Quoted:
 Should have been the first post.
 We once had a boot believing that helicopters had ejection seats times with the rotors.
That's ridiculous. Everyone knows that they shoot out sideways.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#50]
...and the ballsiest of all!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top