Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2017 11:33:31 PM EDT
I started talking to a girl on a dating website. She has two pictures, one in uniform. Then again, I could buy the same uniform at a store across town.

Not even met and already claiming to be a 96B overseas. Wanted me to get her a ITunes gift card as she can't get them there.

Now I have a soft spot for veterans, especially when they are pretty women, but I am not so blind as to think scammers don't exist.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]
They do exist.    Any deployed female is going to get all the sexual attention she can stand.   There would be no reason for her to be trolling a "dating" site, and asking you to send her stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartanatheart] [#2]
Just what I thought, allegedly where she is, she can't access her banking and can't go outside.

If that was the case, my instincts tell me she wouldn't be on OKC trolling for dates.

And allegedly she has like 3 months leave coming up. Is it even possible to have that much leave?

I get two weeks leave at my last job.

I'm picturing this clip in my head.

https://www.facebook.com/CollegeHumor/videos/10154353480982807/
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the deal Amigo

While it's true that there are bases over in the sand box where things are VERY austere--those tend to be advanced bases in the Iraq/Syria theater.  IF 'she' can use a iTunes card then 'she's' on a base where there's internet and a lot of other quality of life stuff.

Don't be a sucker

best of luck

/r
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Now she is saying she has to buy her pass to leave but gets the money backs when she returns.

For two weeks, pass is $600 but she only wants me to send half.

I've done some stupid things but not this one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This has Scam written all over it. Walk away dude.... Walk away.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Scam. I've never heard of anyone buying a pass to leave. And anywhere that she's gonna have access to the internet to message you, she has access to iTunes to plug her card in and buy whatever stupid Ariana Grande album she wants. If you still have doubts, tell her you want to send her a letter, you saw it in a movie and have always wanted to write a letter to a soldier, you can even say you'll send her the iTunes giftcard. Ask for the address. Verify if its a real APO address. I bet it isn't.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a scam. She kept pressuring me to pay for her pass, I said no, she chatted a bit but eventually left saying I wasn't supporting her emotionally.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I'm thinking chicks off the internet are the worst. After dating a lot of them, they all seem to be very liberal and anti-gun and vegan and feminists and crap... Or they are single moms... ugh... I've had better luck at church single groups and bars and coffee shops and book stores and pools and parks and stuff like that. 
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Tell her titties first or no cards.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Tell her titties first or no cards.
View Quote
I'd ask for starfish pics with a sign next to it with today's date and his name while we are at it.  you know....for authenticity
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Scammmmmmm!!!!

Run op

No one will ever ever ask someone for a gift card .
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By irishklover:
Scammmmmmm!!!!

Run op

No one will ever ever ask someone for a gift card .
View Quote
Except a catfish.

That’s what that bitch is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Post date... Yep, thread necro...

FWIW, the various mainstream dating sites usually have ways to report scammers... Getting better these days anyway.  Keep in mind, even if they get banned, scammers gonna scam so be careful.  Same scammer may come back with a new account PDQ to back fill the loss in their collection of sock-puppet accounts.  If online accounts like this start asking for money or gift-cards it's almost always going to be a scam.  Be skeptical of such asks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
No offense man but if you have to post a thread asking if what you were initially encountering was a scam you’re eventually going to get scammed...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Where did she have Basic?
Ask her what Basic Class name/number she was in.
What AIT Class was she in

If she can't answer any of them she isn't

Fort Dix: A-3-3-3
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Spartanatheart:
Now she is saying she has to buy her pass to leave but gets the money backs when she returns.

For two weeks, pass is $600 but she only wants me to send half.

I've done some stupid things but not this one.
View Quote

R&R is a free ticket for 2 weeks anywhere you want to go.  They don't buy anything, just fly to Kuwait when they are supposed to, and fly out from there.  Same on the return.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Amazed this 3 year old thread is still going, I already figured out she was spam..
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, any new "90 Day Fiancee" stories?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21BoomCBTENGR] [#21]
It was a scam. She kept pressuring me to pay for her pass, I said no, she chatted a bit but eventually left saying I wasn't supporting her emotionally.
View Quote

Any chance on y’all getting together now that her tours over?  Did she ask you to pay to fly here home at the end?

That’s really nice of her to give you some closure, that’s a classy scam.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
"Amazed this 3 year old thread is still going, I already figured out SHE was spam.."

Nah man...that was a HE 100%, a dude was writing you lol. Makes it a lot more gross.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 6:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Unicorn] [#24]
There are some very austere bases around the world. But if she is able to access the internet to go on dating sites, then to be able to use a itunes gift card that person would have full access to their bank information and be able to buy the thing herself. Even if she lost her debit card she could have the bank send it to her there.

Damn, I don't bother looking at dates. Oh well, maybe for the next person.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Amazed this 3 year old thread is still going, I already figured out she was spam..
View Quote
There is always going to be some Newb that hasn't read it the first time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:05:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoosier122] [#26]
Nevermind. Mod please delete.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By hoosier122:

View Quote
I'm going to miss re-reading this thread.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#28]
You two were connecting so well. I thought it was a match made in heaven.

I am sorry to hear the romance between you two has fizzled out and she has returned to her abusive, broken home.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:15:09 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, did you buy a Camaro with a loan at 20% interest?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top