Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 7:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wingnut116ACW]
My father passed away in January and I'm executor of his estate. Going through papers, I found a whole life policy, taken out in 1959 with an attached notice of paid-up policy from 1979. It was written by Gulf Life which has subsequently ended up at AIG.

I reached out to AIG, provided them scans of the original documents and terms.

Received a letter today that they acknowledge receipt of my inquiry but say their records indicate it terminated in 1989. I thought the whole life policies were good once paid up. I could find no contractual language to the contrary. I even called up the life insurance guy that wrote the policy in 1959.

It is only for $1,000, but it's the principle here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Expired or terminated?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Letter said 'terminated'
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Paid til a cerrtain age?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be, but in 1989 he turned 41 and did so in January of that year, so it doesn't line up with calendar dates. I'll pour back over the terms with a fine toothed comb
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Requested by the policy owner possibly… my parents cancelled some of their small policies after all us kids were out on our own and received the cash value of the policies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#6]
That I could see. Guess I'll have to call
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My siblings and I all had similar Gulf Life policies my dad got us back in the late 70's, all were eventually surrendered for their cash out value.

Is it possible it was cashed out? I'm no insurance guy so just thinking out loud...
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
My siblings and I all had similar Gulf Life policies my dad got us back in the late 70's, all were eventually surrendered for their cash out value.

Is it possible it was cashed out? I'm no insurance guy so just thinking out loud...
View Quote

The one man that could answer is sitting on my the mirror behind my bar. It is likely though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, make sure you query the NAIC. They will send out the request to all providers searching for policies. There may be others you do not know about.

https://eapps.naic.org/life-policy-locator/#/welcome
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#11]
Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
My father passed away in January and I'm executor of his estate. Going through papers, I found a whole life policy, taken out in 1959 with an attached notice of paid-up policy from 1979. It was written by Gulf Life which has subsequently ended up at AIG.

I reached out to AIG, provided them scans of the original documents and terms.

Received a letter today that they acknowledge receipt of my inquiry but say their records indicate it terminated in 1989. I thought the whole life policies were good once paid up. I could find no contractual language to the contrary. I even called up the life insurance guy that wrote the policy in 1959.

It is only for $1,000, but it's the principle here.
View Quote

Have to ask them how it was 'terminated' and what that means.  If paid up, it had a guarantee - should be for life, or to age 100.  Perhaps it was cash surrendered?  If cash surrendered there should have been some taxable income - if you have access to his tax filing records, look for that - a long shot I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top