Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2020 1:51:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a new Dual Band (aka 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz) router.  Wireless AX is the newest, with AC being 1 gen old and N now being two generations old.

Set up the first router to be a DHCP server only (turn the radios/wifi off), set second router up as an Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Exactly what I did, just because I needed AX.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What device do you have? The Actiontec that FIOS gives you? I had an older version when I was using their stuff.
I believe you can log in and make a second WiFi network, give it another name, and choose it to be 2.4Ghz. Then you can force certain devices on your network to exlusivly use it such as your camera.
You can then temprorarily choose the 2.4 network on your iPhone so you can control your camera, and when finished go back to the 5Ghz network on your iphone. If I'm understanding you correctly?

ETA: as the above poster is saying, I think the newer Actiontecs have dual band so you can configure it as stated.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
All the Verizon Fios Quantum routers should support 2.4Ghz.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/can-t-connect-to-2-4-ghz-network-on-fios-quantum-router/td-p/835611

You may need to replace yours if it's busted. Or, as stated above, turn off the WiFi on the Verizon router and get a dedicated newer wifi only setup.
If you use the Verizon set top boxes, you'll need to keep the verizon fios router in place for the cable TV side of things. The WiFi side can be swapped around though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Your router likely has it you just need to turn it on. look for a web adress on the router for a settings login. If no joy log into your account online you might be able to control your router there.  No luck there call customer service they can turn it on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
Your router likely has it you just need to turn it on. look for a web adress on the router for a settings login. If no joy log into your account online you might be able to control your router there.  No luck there call customer service they can turn it on.
View Quote

This.  All Verizon routers with 5ghz also have 2.4.  On the side of your router you will find a sticker with the log in IP address, user name (usually admin) and password.  Once you log in, go to the wireless section and make sure the 2.4 radio (yep listed as radio) is enabled.  You can either use the factory password or update it to one of your choosing.  Just remember to click apply so your settings are saved.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I ran into this exact issue with hardware that requires 2.4 which also happened to be a chi-com Amazon wireless camera.  We had replaced the old router with a new one but this one camera refused to connect.  The Ring only runs on 2.4 and it connected just fine.  I found the 2.4 channel was broadcast with the exact same name as the 5g IE "JOES WIFI"  for both 5 and 2.4.  The device connecting will usually see both and be able to differentiate the two, usually with some kind of description next to the connection when it's scanning for available networks.  

The camera refused to connect to the 2.4 signal.  I fixed it by going into the router and changing "Joes Wifi" on the 2.4 broadcast to "Joes Wifi24" just to see the difference when scanning for networks. (see above post for accessing the router via a browser by going to usually 192.168.0.1, or similar.  The exact ip and login should be on the router itself)  I'm don't know why it would confuse the hardware as the 2.4 camera shouldn't have been able to even see the 5g broadcast, but it did.

I'm not an IT guru and not responsible if you burn your house down with this info.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Your verizon box should have 4 ether connections on the back

you can add another access point to the box

but your existing router ap should support 2.4 and 5.6 wireless

it could be switched off in the set up

if you open the webpage for your router you can use the password for the device to log on and look at the settings

this is NOT the password for the wireless network

there should be a sticker on the device that has the password

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
OP,
if you want to run a quick experiment, log into your fios router and disable the 5G radio:

ps
in many residential environments, 2.4g will give the same/better performance as 5g, so there should be no net effect to other wifi clients if you leave the 5G radio off.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top