Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2021 12:54:23 PM EDT
Thinking of doing a mini road trip soon. The trip would total about 2000 miles. We just bought a new (2021) SUV and I'm still in the phase of trying to keep it as good as possibly for as long as possible.

I was thinking about renting a car but prices have skyrocketed.

How much wear and tear would putting 2000 miles on the car in about 8 days be? It's a lot of miles in a short time (there will be two 800 mile legs that will be done in a day each

Just curious if it's worth the cost to rent or if I shouldn't worry about the wear and tear.
Thanks for any input
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I put about 1200 miles a week almost every week on a company car. I have done this for 5 cars in 7 years. We turn them in at about 70K miles.  I ain’t easy driving it either. As long as you’ve had your first service done to replace the factory oil and filter I wouldn’t sweat it. Before this job I came from the auto rental and sales industry. One thing I was told from the folks at Ford was don’t do long runs with the cruise control on until you reach 1K miles. That period needed the variable rpms to break in. So depending on how new your ride is just a simple oil change would be all you need.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Long miles are better than short miles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be better than running to the store 20 times.  I took my 05 SRT-4 on a 5500 mile road trip from Western NY to Colorado, then Utah, (oil change at 3000 miles at my brother's place) and then back home several years ago.  No issues except having to torque some bolts after my suspension upgrade.  That was to be expected.

Plot twist:  SRT-4's don't have cruise control.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be better than running to the store 20 times.  I took my 05 SRT-4 on a 5500 mile road trip from Western NY to Colorado, then Utah, (oil change at 3000 miles at my brother's place) and then back home several years ago.  No issues except having to torque some bolts after my suspension upgrade.  That was to be expected.

View Quote

I drove from Anchorage AK down to San Antonio TX, then up to Enid OK. Ballpark 5,000 miles.  Stopped for an oil change somewhere in Utah.  This was early 2000s.

Similar plot twist: No cruise control in my pickup either.  

OP, if I were in your shoes I'd have no reservations about taking my new vehicle on a trip like you are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Drove my F150 about 2000 miles in 2 days twice last fall.  

Left Virginia drove to PA, then to Colorado.  

Then back a week later.  Was about 30 hours each way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:...How much wear and tear would putting 2000 miles on the car in about 8 days be? It's a lot of miles in a short time (there will be two 800 mile legs that will be done in a day each...
View Quote

About 2000 miles worth of tire wear and overall degradation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
During engine break in a long period of identical RPM is not recommended.  Otherwise,  the point of owning a fucking car is to drive it.

I'd rather depreciate my car from miles than time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Renting is an option.  I tend to like this option.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I put about 1200 miles a week almost every week on a company car. I have done this for 5 cars in 7 years. We turn them in at about 70K miles.  I ain’t easy driving it either. As long as you’ve had your first service done to replace the factory oil and filter I wouldn’t sweat it. Before this job I came from the auto rental and sales industry. One thing I was told from the folks at Ford was don’t do long runs with the cruise control on until you reach 1K miles. That period needed the variable rpms to break in. So depending on how new your ride is just a simple oil change would be all you need.
View Quote

Thanks. I have never heard about a "first service" to replace factory oil and filter. Are you supposed to do this with brand new cars (like as soon as you buy it) or do you just mean my first normal oil change? It is just over 1k miles now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Why would it be bad??
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
My boys and I took our new car for a 2,000 mile spring break road trip and it's totally fine. 2,000 miles in 4 days.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

True.  And new car break-in long miles are best of all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thinking of doing a mini road trip soon. The trip would total about 2000 miles. We just bought a new (2021) SUV and I'm still in the phase of trying to keep it as good as possibly for as long as possible.

How much wear and tear would putting 2000 miles on the car in about 8 days be? It's a lot of miles in a short time (there will be two 800 mile legs that will be done in a day each

Just curious if it's worth the cost to rent or if I shouldn't worry about the wear and tear.
Thanks for any input
View Quote

Did you buy a POS!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks. I have never heard about a "first service" to replace factory oil and filter. Are you supposed to do this with brand new cars (like as soon as you buy it) or do you just mean my first normal oil change? It is just over 1k miles now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the owner's manual.  Generally the first oil change is at about half the normal service interval, thought being that engine break-in is leaving more metal in the oil than typical.  I'm kind of surprised the dealer didn't tell you to come back at 1,000 or 1,500 miles for a free first oil changes, that's been pretty standard on cars I've bought.  Though now oil changes seem to have gone from $15-20 to $50-$70 so maybe that's just too much to eat these days.

250 miles a day is nothing, even if it is back-to-back for a week.  Check the oil level half way through your trip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Read the owner's manual.  Generally the first oil change is at about half the normal service interval, thought being that engine break-in is leaving more metal in the oil than typical.  I'm kind of surprised the dealer didn't tell you to come back at 1,000 or 1,500 miles for a free first oil changes, that's been pretty standard on cars I've bought.  Though now oil changes seem to have gone from $15-20 to $50-$70 so maybe that's just too much to eat these days.

250 miles a day is nothing, even if it is back-to-back for a week.  Check the oil level half way through your trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On any modern car using synthetic oil it has been around 5000 - 6000 miles for the first oil change.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On any modern car using synthetic oil it has been around 5000 - 6000 miles for the first oil change.
View Quote

For the first oil change?  6,000 - 7,000 miles is they typical interval with synthetics, no?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For the first oil change?  6,000 - 7,000 miles is they typical interval with synthetics, no?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For modern cars...yes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For modern cars...yes.
View Quote

Well, if the normal interval is 7k then a first oil change may be a good idea at, say, 3.5k.

But what do I know.  I did lead with "read the owner's manual" :-D
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I chose to rent. We rented a Tahoe for 7 days for 650 bucks and didn't worry about a thing. National gave me a 2021 Tahoe with 5000 miles. I didnt even have to wash it when we got back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, if the normal interval is 7k then a first oil change may be a good idea at, say, 3.5k.

But what do I know.  I did lead with "read the owner's manual" :-D
View Quote

The owner's manual says nothing about a "first" oil change, just gives the normal times for oil changes. I've never seen an owner's manual or had a dealer tell me I needed to change the oil before the normal first oil change period, but I'll look into it before the trip.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
truth
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Send it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The owner's manual says nothing about a "first" oil change, just gives the normal times for oil changes. I've never seen an owner's manual or had a dealer tell me I needed to change the oil before the normal first oil change period, but I'll look into it before the trip.

View Quote
It's honestly not a bad idea to do your first oil change a little sooner.  You have multiple parts that are "wearing in" and even with the tighter tolerances in manufacturing today you're going to have some particulates wind up in your oil.  A good filter will trap them there, but the idea is to change your oil so that you remove all the particulates from the system as soon as possible before there's a potential for an issue to arise.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's honestly not a bad idea to do your first oil change a little sooner.  You have multiple parts that are "wearing in" and even with the tighter tolerances in manufacturing today you're going to have some particulates wind up in your oil.  A good filter will trap them there, but the idea is to change your oil so that you remove all the particulates from the system as soon as possible before there's a potential for an issue to arise.
View Quote

Thanks. The car has 1k miles on it now. After the trip it will have 3k miles. Should I get an oil change before the trip or wait until after? I really want to make this car last as long as possible.

My car's manual also weirdly mentions nothing about oil change intervals.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Follow the manual. Most of the idea of break in isn’t really needed on newer engines from everything I’ve read. You bought a car to have a car why not use it. 2,000 miles in the grand scheme is nothing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want to keep miles off your car look at renting a car
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a common practice back in the day to do that. I will be 60 and as long as I can remeber my father changed the first oil around 1500 miles...when synthetics came out he changed the first oil at 3500 and to this day I have been doing the same with no ill effects other than wasting money. On my Ford f150 I change the oil with synthetic about 4,500-6,000 miles depending if towing or not. On our Japanese vehicles we change the first oil at 3500 then we just follow the stupod idiot wrench maintenance after that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn’t 1975 grandpa.  Just stick to the maintenance schedule.

Where is the “metal”  coming from?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's a common practice back in the day to do that. I will be 60 and as long as I can remeber my father changed the first oil around 1500 miles...when synthetics came out he changed the first oil at 3500 and to this day I have been doing the same with no ill effects other than wasting money. On my Ford f150 I change the oil with synthetic about 4,500-6,000 miles depending if towing or not. On our Japanese vehicles we change the first oil at 3500 then we just follow the stupod idiot wrench maintenance after that.
View Quote

Thanks!
I'm confused by the first comment that was left after I posted.

Is the oil that is put in by the factory bad in any way, or is it ok to wait?
The manual recommends getting an oil change at 7500 miles. Since I will be under 3500 after this trip I'm thinking of waiting, unless there is a reason to replace the oil that was in there from the factory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks!

The manual recommends getting an oil change at 7500 miles. Since I will be under 3500 after this trip I'm thinking of waiting, unless there is a reason to replace the oil that was in there from the factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

The oil is fine. 7500 is ok.  What kind of vehicle do yo have?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a Hyundai Tucson, sorry thought I mentioned that above
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did @littlepony say?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

He is the resident Korean car expert.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends:  do you run in through an automatic brush car wash?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#37]
You own a car to drive it and go places.
So do that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks for any input
View Quote

It will be fine
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It will be fine
View Quote

Thanks. So no need to do an oil change right after buying it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks. So no need to do an oil change right after buying it?
View Quote

No.

Once it hits 3750 miles then change it

Or 3000 if its a turbo engine
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve put nearly 50k miles on my truck in eight months.

You could do a lot worse than a small road trip. ??
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Short trips are worse.

I have had zero problems with my 2014 4Runner and so far I have driven it from Virginia to:

Florida twice, Texas twice, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maine, Tennessee, and last year South Dakota/Wyoming.

Just get your oil changed on a regular basis, if your trip will take you substantially over your mileage for the next change then have it done early and start on fresh oil.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I chose to rent. We rented a Tahoe for 7 days for 650 bucks and didn't worry about a thing. National gave me a 2021 Tahoe with 5000 miles. I didnt even have to wash it when we got back.
View Quote
I run my rentals through the car wash so I can turn them in with swirl marks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#44]
As long as you bring snacks and a couple piss jugs you should be fine
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I did 2200ish a week for 9 months... it’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#46]
You are good to go for a road trip, OP. I might suggest having the alignment checked at your dealer (make sure you get a legit alignment spec printout). I don't know about Hyundai/Kia, but some Toyota vehicles are a bit off from the factory and alignments are covered under warranty for a newly purchased car. No need to develop some weird tire wear from the get go. Honestly, a good thing to do even if you are not going on a road trip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
If you are worried about it
Go to enterprise car rentals web site
Join their little club
Get a promo deal for a week by email
and rent a vehicle for the trip
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Cars are made to be drive.  It won’t hurt anything.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you don't need cruise control when ripping up the twisties.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top