Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2021 10:53:47 PM EDT
I am a bit bewildered by the number of calls and texts I receive nearly daily from people that I fully believe should know better, looking for deals on guns and/or ammo during the current situation.

Most recently, it was a fellow LEO, whom I have spent a good bit of time on the range with. He has several rifles and handguns, and while he's not to the level of most GDers when it comes to guns, he's by no means a lib about firearms. Today, he asked me, "You know anybody selling a Glock 9mm? I'm looking for a good deal on another one, and some ammo as well." I could only looked at my phone with as I read this. I mean, this guy has watched the current ammo situation, and we have discussed it repeatedly in the past 6-8 months. I had to wonder if he is really that head-in-the-sand.

But he isn't the only one. It feels like it happens constantly. People who are new to firearms are one thing, but often it is people who I feel should really know better. People who have talked about the issues, but then appear to have been blind to them. I sent another person recently to my former employer (gun range and store) for a handgun, as they seem to be one of the few places in our area that regularly has handguns to sell. The reply back to me was something like, "they want way to much for everything." Supply and demand is a law, not a fucking suggestion.

And people in some EDC-type facebook groups lately, bitching about "price gouging" on ammo and guns. Who the hell ARE these people that are so damn clueless? Is this something I am just now noticing with people that I believe should have known better?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no such thing as price gouging.  It's called supply and demand.  OP, you are correct.  I had been telling coworkers for years to stock up on cheap ammo.  Very few listened.  I have had quite a few calling or texting for cheap ammo.  Lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
They can all pack sand as far as I’m concerned. They can still get it but don’t wanna pay the big bucks....tough shit, shoulda bought when you were told what was going on 8-9 months ago if you wanted to avoid today’s prices
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
There are lots of gun owners that are not "gun people" and there are lots of gun people that only amass guns in their possession and do not regularly shoot firearms.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The BIL lives in NY.  Wife was on the phone with him and said "Bill wants to know if it's hard to get ammo out here too."

I just laughed.

I think he's one of those guys who stops by a store to get ammo when he's going out to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
"We" stocked up years ago
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no such thing as price gouging.  It's called supply and demand.  OP, you are correct.  I had been telling coworkers for years to stock up on cheap ammo.  Very few listened.  I have had quite a few calling or texting for cheap ammo.  Lol.
View Quote

I'd argue supply and demand go out the window when your avenues of purchase (online, non gun shop sporting goods store, etc.) are removed via government oversight. That is an artificial supply shortage and can lead to price fixing. When there are only two authorized "dealers" in an area, or when a 4473 has to be filed to purchase ammo, the price is artificially inflated because competition isn't there. There is no such thing as a free market anymore, or likely ever.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd argue supply and demand go out the window when your avenues of purchase (online, non gun shop sporting goods store, etc.) are removed via government oversight. That is an artificial supply shortage and can lead to price fixing. When there are only two authorized "dealers" in an area, or when a 4473 has to be filed to purchase ammo, the price is artificially inflated because competition isn't there. There is no such thing as a free market anymore, or likely ever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your listed as a resident of TX.  That is not a valid arguement.  Right now, uncle sam is not limiting sales on ammo.  You can still purchase at the following venues:
LGS
Sporting good stores
Gun shows
Private sellers
Pawnshops
Buy the components and reload your own.

The OP's premise was that people should have been paying attention to current events and bought ammo when it was cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I know many hunters who are not really part of the deep state gun culture, most of them are older; also trap/ skeet shooters, even cops, many of them are not into guns
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Buying a Glock doesn't magically make you become an informed critical thinker.

This just shows that your friend believes the MSM and Fakebook over the facts that you laid out for him.  People would rather be ignorant than expend any personal effort learning the truth.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your listed as a resident of TX.  That is not a valid arguement.  Right now, uncle sam is not limiting sales on ammo.  You can still purchase at the following venues:
LGS
Sporting good stores
Gun shows
Private sellers
Pawnshops

The OP's premise was that people should have been paying attention to current events and bought ammo when it was cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LGS
Sporting good stores
Gun shows
Private sellers
Pawnshops

I can, yes. Other states, not so much. I'm not complaining about prices due to panic, I'm pointing out many of those avenues you're mentioning may very well not exist in other places, or possibly the entire US in the near future. It's not about me, it's about government creating a crisis or drought artificially.

I've got ammo to get by. Is it as much as I'd like? No, since it's a finite number.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Most people, regardless of their interests and hobbies, aren't that bright.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Same as "gun people" that don't consistently carry.

Or "gun people" that carry a pocket 380 in a "good area" but a 9mm (whatever, more) elsewhere in area of greater anticipated threat.

Different levels of "gun people"
Half ass is component of most of the levels
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Went to a show today.

Anything you want for a decent price... except ammo.

Not even close to the previous panic.  Glock mags in low supply, but AR mags all over.  $10-14.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Just watch what happens when it's food. We will be excepting first born.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#15]
When I explained to fellow gun owners that my core strategy was to buy ammo NOT when I needed it but when the price hit "good deal" territory based on the market at that time, they all thought I was "wasting" money on excess ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
There are guns available. I just bought 2 G3 G19's and 2 G3 G17's from buds. Price is a little higher then usual, but not crazy. I now have 5 G19's!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/13704/glock+g17+g3+17%2b1+9mm+448%22
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a friend that texts me once a week still incredulous that he can’t find ammo and what it costs. This is a guy that I told about ammo clearance sales last February and told him “buy this shit now!”
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Any links to $0.30 9mm ammo OP?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#19]
My Father is one.

But it doesn’t matter. He is an old school ammo hoarder. When we moved him out to the cabin, even I was shocked at his ammo fort.

Typical for his time, he has ammo for gun he does not/has not owned. Ammo bought because it was on sale. He’ll never know about ammo shortages because he lived the “buy it cheap, stack it deep” for decades.

One good thing I picked up from him
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#20]
An old friend of mine > 25 years now needed some ammo about a month ago.

I gave him 200 rounds of 5.56 and 40 rounds of 6.5cm.

That will be the last ammo I part with that I don't shoot myself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#21]
What is going on?  I only have like 200 rds,  I'd like to get that up to 20 k, maybe 25 if you guys know a good place to order.  I have a judge, a .22 mosberg ar and a 22mag Derringer.  All you hoarders  and gougers need to share the wealth.  Its not my fault this happened.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I know a guy IRL who is (at least insofar as I know) pro 2A, and guess who the dumb ass voted for?

There are, unfortunately, a LOT of "gun people" who are clueless when it comes to politics.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Hell, there are people here that are in denial
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a habit of actually training and don’t just sit on things and assume that makes me prepared. If you go to the range weekly that’s a lot of money each year and said folks probably aren’t buying another 20k rounds on top of that amount.

If you were buying not just enough ammo to attend training courses and practice weekly with, but enough to build up tens of thousands of rounds either you’re wealthy or were neglecting other responsibilities to make that happen.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Our culture is as diverse as any. To think that they are all clued in to our mentality is short-sighted. Not everyone reads arfcom and is red pilled. They aren't all ready for the cold water to the face. For some, it is a gradual process. It's hard for some folks to unplug from the matrix and see reality for what it is. That doesn't make them bad people. Work with then. Every convert is a win.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Had to tell my buddys wife to buy him some ammo. I told her if he doesnt want it ,I will just take her shooting. No pics fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Tl;dr...  I'm GTG
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#28]
At this point you just need to pay the asking price if someone has what you want/need--fuck it, just get it done, and cry about getting raped later.

Friday morning I noticed on their web site that the SIG P365XL was "in stock" at a local gun shop.  Pretty much every other pistol on their page was "out of stock".  I've been interested in the P365XL for awhile--but they are in high demand as the only model legally "approved for sale" in MA comes with the 10 round mags and has the safety--and they only make them in small production runs.

I figured the shop had bought a shitload of them, and I probably had awhile to make up my mind one way or the other--but after dinner/on a whim I made the effort, popped by the shop, and sure enough there was one in the case.

I waited for a sales guy to be free, had a look and a quick finger-fuck, dryfired it a couple times--seemed like a nice little heater, but wasn't 100% sold.  

Asked the guy how many they had gotten in.

He said "Forty, yesterday (Thursday) afternoon".

I asked him how many they had left, out back.  He said "Two".

What. The. Fuck. Over.

Just said "Fuck it.  Let's do this," and threw down.

If I decide different next week I can sell it for what I paid out and get my money back--but there sure as shit isn't going to be one in the glass case tomorrow, and probably not for a couple months from now.

If there is something that you genuinely want or need--stop dithering and Act.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, the MSM doesn’t report ammo shortages or anything, so most people wouldn’t know.

There are still plenty of people amazed when you tell them the USPS is running a touch slow...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
My best friend, asked me to find him some cheap, this was when 1k 5.56 was going for 500, I bought two. One for me one for him to buy from me. He did not have the money, so I still have it. Two months ago someone he works with wanted ammo, so he calls me and hands his coworker the phone. I told the guy 750, the guy says you did not pay that much. I said but if I want to replace it,it would cost me that much. He hung up on me on my friends phone.

Friend calls me back saying the guy is cussing me out. I told him to tell him, it goes up a buck a day. Guy calls my last week and offers me 800, I hung up on him. Friend tells me the guy has like 10 ars and only like 100 rounds of ammo, he was one of the guys that bought it at walmart on his way to the range, and now has none.

How could you have 10 ars and only 100 rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#31]
You're a grouchy old cop, and you already know that stupid comes in all flavors.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#32]
You big city cops never heard of the Glock Blue Label Program?
Just got myself a 43X at my local GBL  dealer gun shop.
They had G19's starting w Gen 3.
No shortage at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Bought 200 rounds of .223 for $150 today
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You big city cops never heard of the Glock Blue Label Program?
Just got myself a 43X at my local GBL  dealer gun shop.
They had G19's starting w Gen 3.
No shortage at all.
View Quote

I have a blue label gun or two.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:01:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am a bit bewildered by the number of calls and texts I receive nearly daily from people that I fully believe should know better, looking for deals on guns and/or ammo during the current situation.

Most recently, it was a fellow LEO, whom I have spent a good bit of time on the range with. He has several rifles and handguns, and while he's not to the level of most GDers when it comes to guns, he's by no means a lib about firearms. Today, he asked me, "You know anybody selling a Glock 9mm? I'm looking for a good deal on another one, and some ammo as well." I could only looked at my phone with as I read this. I mean, this guy has watched the current ammo situation, and we have discussed it repeatedly in the past 6-8 months. I had to wonder if he is really that head-in-the-sand.

But he isn't the only one. It feels like it happens constantly. People who are new to firearms are one thing, but often it is people who I feel should really know better. People who have talked about the issues, but then appear to have been blind to them. I sent another person recently to my former employer (gun range and store) for a handgun, as they seem to be one of the few places in our area that regularly has handguns to sell. The reply back to me was something like, "they want way to much for everything." Supply and demand is a law, not a fucking suggestion.

And people in some EDC-type facebook groups lately, bitching about "price gouging" on ammo and guns. Who the hell ARE these people that are so damn clueless? Is this something I am just now noticing with people that I believe should have known better?
View Quote

Facebook group?  Are you still on Facebook after what happened this week?   I cannot even read anymore of your post after that.  God Dammit are you serious?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I had no idea how bad it was up until maybe two weeks ago, and I’m not a rookie by any stretch.  And now I’m struggling to find ammo.  I didn’t even know that Walmart stopped selling pistol ammo untill I asked about brassbadger here in December.

I thought I had all the guns I wanted/needed, but then Biden won, so I thought through what he might be able to actually definitively effect in the short term, and I figured it obviously is scary looking imports, so I bought a scorpion, and I also did have shortcomings in the PCC department.  Then I need to suppress it so I bought a can.  And I own no subsonic 9mm, and can’t find any for less than a buck a round.  And now that I have a new platform to learn, it’s gonna take a few K rounds to practice, so I’m even finding myself short on standard 9mm, as the few K rounds I had for my pistols is gonna get wiped out pretty quickly after shooting through 10 35 round mags per range session.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just watch what happens when it's food. We will be excepting first born.
View Quote

Shoulda bought it when it was cheap according to most folks on this forum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Mags are going to be next as many have mentioned before. It will take awhile for AR mags because there are so many warehouses full of the damn things but if you need oddball shit like CZ, STI, MPX, P365, SCAR 17 or other things without a bunch of third party makers I would get to getting if you want them.

I've been steadily buying $400-$500 a month of factory mags for newer platforms I have acquired over the last few years. It sounds like a lot but when mags are $40-$70 each because only one company makes them it doesn't go that far. When the mag scare happens they are always the first to go.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Friend listed 1000rds of sealed Winchester white box for $1000 on a bookface group and all the “gun people” on there went full retard dogging the post except for one guy who said... “find me one place that has 1000rds of WWB in stock and available right now.” Crickets.....

Friend got pissed and listed it elsewhere and sold it that day for $1000.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:54:42 AM EDT
[#40]
If OP's friend is a LEO, why is he looking anywhere other than a glock blue label dealer for a pistol?

Anyone who asks me for ammo or mags, I tell them I go to gun shows every weekend and tell them if they give me money I will buy whatever they want.  If it's something in my supply I can part with I'll sell them that.  Either way they're paying market price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:56:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

They voted for Romney and donate to the NRA.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I think most of them are just mouth breathers that take a "I'm not worried, I know a guy..." mentality.

You're the guy in this case, and he assumed you were going to pull a blue label out of your ass and a tarp off of a surplus ammo pallet you were keeping in the shed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think most of them are just mouth breathers that take a "I'm not worried, I know a guy..." mentality.

You're the guy in this case, and he assumed you were going to pull a blue label out of your ass and a tarp off of a surplus ammo pallet you were keeping in the shed.
View Quote

If I had that, I'd probably continue to sit on it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If OP's friend is a LEO, why is he looking anywhere other than a glock blue label dealer for a pistol?

Anyone who asks me for ammo or mags, I tell them I go to gun shows every weekend and tell them if they give me money I will buy whatever they want.  If it's something in my supply I can part with I'll sell them that.  Either way they're paying market price.
View Quote
The store that I sent him to is a Blue Label dealer. I assume they didn't have the particular gun that he wanted.

I'm waiting for a G48 to come in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mags are going to be next as many have mentioned before. It will take awhile for AR mags because there are so many warehouses full of the damn things
View Quote

I’d say it’s happening already. I bought a bunch of pmags at the end of 2019 to hit the number to keep my black card status. Offered them up to everyone knew for the $8 each I paid for them.  Had a few guys buy a couple here and there but for the most part was ignored.  Suddenly everyone’s wanting them in multiples of 10 but pissed that I won’t honor the price from a year ago. Within the last few days a lot of retailers have been selling out or raising there prices, it’s happening fast, I’m curious to see where we’ll be in another week or two.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#46]
There are a bunch that are just in complete denial.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"We" stocked up years ago
View Quote

Amen!  Lots of gun owners think a stash is two boxes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Slow Joe Xiden is going to put a crimp in many gunner's style. I have been following anti-gun politics for years, and he is among the most anti-gun. Many gunners are not involved in the politics but guns and politics are intrinsically linked. Personally I don't feel sorry for those folks that are caught flat-footed. People expect me to store the ammo and sell it for the price I paid for it, not even in your wildest dream.

BTW the LAT has reported that Slow Joe is trying to repeal the liability exemption for firearms put in place by GWB Jr., lets see what Joe can do with it. But the LAT can be full of bovine excrement.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and are still on FB. cmon man.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Slow Joe Xiden is going to put a crimp in many gunner's style. I have been following anti-gun politics for years, and he is among the most anti-gun. Many gunners are not involved in the politics but guns and politics are intrinsically linked. Personally I don't feel sorry for those folks that are caught flat-footed. People expect me to store the ammo and sell it for the price I paid for it, not even in your wildest dream.

BTW the LAT has reported that Slow Joe is trying to repeal the liability exemption for firearms put in place by GWB Jr., lets see what Joe can do with it. But the LAT can be full of bovine excrement.
View Quote

When someone kills someone else in a drunk driving accident you never see ford, GM, or Chrysler sued by the victims family.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top