Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2021 2:14:56 PM EDT
I currently have a 2014 4dr Rubicon, but I find myself wanting a new one.  I'm not dead-set on another Rubicon, but I'm leaning that way.  Interested in hearing from the JL owners out there.  How are they holding up, and how does the JL compare to the JK?  Appreciate any input.  Now looking for other options.  Something somewhat cool but still a decent family vehicle.  Honestly a minivan would probably be more practical, but I'm not going that route, ever.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Expensive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 2015 JKUHR.  I've driven a JL, they're good but not enough to upgrade.  Waiting on the Hemi Gladiators.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
2,000 miles so far.

My 6th Wrangler and by far the best in every way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
4 recalls, two broken sun visors, a broken fuel filler housing and a weird occasional electrical glitch that shuts my radio/infotainment screen off with a loud pop and resets it so I have to reset my clock.

2019 JL 2 door with about 30k miles... fun little truck but definitely a Fiat product.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a JK Rubicon and test drove the JL and it was uncomfortable

I felt scrunched in.

Did they get the broken welds in the steering fixed on the JL's ?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Expensive.
View Quote

Well, OP can get $30k or more for his 6 year old trade-in, so that helps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Expensive but worth it. I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Have 30k on my jlur,  still love it.  Enjoy driving it,  enjoy looking at it.  Have not had any issues.  Used to have a JK sport  and I wanted a rubicon so I traded up,  no use buying used so ordered it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 1,400 miles on our 2021 JL.
It is a Sport 3.6 V6, with 6 speed manual.
LSD rear diff.
20 m.p.g. With reformulated gas.

You have to drive it carefully to get 20.

I never use 6th gear.
5th at 73 mph is around 2100 rpm

Choppy ride on the 2 door.
But it's handling is surprising.
And I own a Miata

Expensive,  but they hold their value

It was Mrs. O's Christmas Present.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
similar thread recently

i was totally blessed to be informed that despite my experience, and the experiences of literally tens of thousands of others which is reflected in the low low quality ratings of these vehicles, along with the fact that they are made by a company that is world famous for making garbage, that modern Jeep Wranglers are AWESOME SAUCE and the BEST in the WURLD!!!

Go buy one and get it out of your system. Nothing screams "bad decision" like a Jeep or Corvette (Ive owned several of both. they are bad decisions, but fun until you're on the side of the road or at the repair shop looking at the extra zero thats on all your repair estimates)

Screw Jeeps. I will repeat. Screw Jeeps
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]

they are all yours man. i wouldn't own another Chrysler if you gave it to me fucking junk.

and my rzr will run circles around you off road. if you want a  EXPENSIVE MALL CRAWLER have the fuck at it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
similar thread recently

i was totally blessed to be informed that despite my experience, and the experiences of literally tens of thousands of others which is reflected in the low low quality ratings of these vehicles, along with the fact that they are made by a company that is world famous for making garbage, that modern Jeep Wranglers are AWESOME SAUCE and the BEST in the WURLD!!!

Go buy one and get it out of your system. Nothing screams "bad decision" like a Jeep or Corvette (Ive owned several of both. they are bad decisions, but fun until you're on the side of the road or at the repair shop looking at the extra zero thats on all your repair estimates)

View Quote

150K with 80k offroad mileage in my cherokee trailhawk (kl) and it's been amazing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I sold my 17 jku and got a 21 jt. Interior and shifter are way better. Has integrated grab handles, better speakers for stock, base model has better infotainment. My wife has a 11 jk and is jealous.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
9k on our ‘20 JLUR. Has been great.

Traded in our ‘16 JKU sport with 65k on it, also no major issues.

Two dealer trips in the time we owned the ‘16.
One for an airbag recall
One for a bad ABS sensor at about 25k miles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Test drove two JLUs, manual and auto.

Nice, but we just can't justify the high entry price.

We currently own three JKUs, all Saharas, 2016, 2013, 2010.  They serve our needs and are all paid for.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies.  Still kicking it around.  I know they are expensive, (sticker on the one I like is 56k), but as mentioned above I should get decent trade in on mine, maybe close to 30k.  I know the early ones had some issues / recalls, but I'm hoping most of the bugs have been worked out by now.  A regular SUV would probably suite me better, but I like the Wranglers and they seem to hold their value really well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
It’s still a Jeep. They look the damn same regardless or the year lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've owned four Wranglers, the first being a 1984 CJ7. None of the four have EVER left me sitting on the side of the road. Ever.

People that bitch about Jeeps either fuck with them or they don't know what the fuck they're doing or both.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]
They're so bad I bought 2 JL's. Both 18's, 1 Sport, 1 Rubicon. Both lifted. The wife's Sport is on 37's, the Rubicon on 38's. Both don't handle at all like the old lifted trucks I had before.

Mods:
Sport: 3.5" Rancho lift with adjustable LCA's, 37" Mastercraft MXT's, 5.13 gears, 9.5k winch, stubby bumper, LED bar on the bumper. Drives great wife unit loves it.
Rubicon: 3.5 Metalcloak lift, 38" Milestar Patagonia's, 4.88 gears winch, stubby, OG KC Daylighters on the front.

Issues:
Sport: 1 Recall for a programming issue. 1 tail light harness( backup light wire broke). That's it.
Rubi-steering gear box, I was one of the unlucky ones. It drove like shit. So to fix that, I lifted it. Yup, still drove like shit. Original aluminum steering gear box replaced with new design cast iron box replaced under a TSB, drives great now. 80 down the interstate on 38's no problem and the MC lift and shocks ride great.

No other issues.

We have really enjoyed both of them and so far, not bad...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a 2006 TJ Rubicon, and I wouldn't trade it for a new one.  I think I paid 18k back in 2010....I bet I could still get 15k today.

I just don't want to drive anything else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've owned four Wranglers, the first being a 1984 CJ7. None of the four have EVER left me sitting on the side of the road. Ever.

People that bitch about Jeeps either fuck with them or they don't know what the fuck they're doing or both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This times 10000000.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

150K with 80k offroad mileage in my cherokee trailhawk (kl) and it's been amazing.
View Quote

Had one of those. Wish I still had it sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
My JL has been in the shop 6 times to get fixed.  It's a piece of shit.  It's a Jeep, and that's what you get.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

they are all yours man. i wouldn't own another Chrysler if you gave it to me fucking junk.

and my rzr will run circles around you off road. if you want a  EXPENSIVE MALL CRAWLER have the fuck at it.
View Quote

That's hilarious.  You make fun of Wrangler reliability while touting your rzr.  Polaris reliability is bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I felt scrunched in.

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
similar thread recently

View Quote

I've owned two Corvettes and one Jeep. The Corvettes were and are great cars. The Jeep wasn't good enough to keep so I sold it at a deep discount 3 months later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#27]
21 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon here with the diesel. It’s fantastic! Vastly Better mileage than my last Wrangler 3.6L gas and way more pickup.

Best Jeep I have owned in fact.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#28]
2018 jlur manual with 3.6  loaded out.  
Mostly stock
20k and the only problem was dealer induced.  Ie put the recall stabilizer shock on upside down.  Lol
We love it.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#29]
What kind of issues did you have?  

Quoted:
My JL has been in the shop 6 times to get fixed.  It's a piece of shit.  It's a Jeep, and that's what you get.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
A diesel Rubi would be cool.  How much does that add to the price tag?

Quoted:
21 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon here with the diesel. It’s fantastic! Vastly Better mileage than my last Wrangler 3.6L gas and way more pickup.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Almost at 230,000 miles on my 04 TJ that I bought new in 04.  Still kicking it!  

It was new at one time so I had to post.  I know it's off topic. :^)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
similar thread recently

View Quote

Aren't you the guy whose only Jeep experience was with an early-90s YJ?

OP, several friends have JLs and JTs, and all but one has had no problems. The JT owner with the problem had his 3.6 motor replaced at 6k miles by the dealer. The 8 speed auto transmission is reportedly light years ahead of my 5 speed JK transmission. The interiors look good to me, but they seem to feel a little more cramped than my JK.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Have an 05 LJ and 14 JKUR.

Sister has a 19 JLU... Hers drives nice and I like the infotainment better than what's offered in the JK. She loves the Jeep and has had no problems the last year she has owned it.

I do not like all the extra bullshit under the hood of her Turbo I4. Even the3.6l has a little extra bullshit under there over the JK. I think this year there is even more extra bullshit on the 3.6l (torque drive thingamabob).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What kind of issues did you have?  

View Quote

Broken windshield wiper stalk.  Left front hub assembly replaced.  Steering gear replaced twice.  Steering dampener replaced twice.  Battery and aux battery replaced.  There's probably more stuff I can't remember.

It still has a couple more things wrong.  The rear differential LSD clutches are gone.  Won't stay in 4low on tough trails.  I get a warning light from time to time when in heavy crosswinds, can't think of it off the top of my head.

It's literally a piece of shit.  But I'd buy it again because I use it for it's intended purpose:  heavy off road.  Nothing is better than a Wranger off road.  If I had bought this Jeep just to look cool and it had all these problems I'd have sold it a loooong time ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
21 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon here with the diesel. It's fantastic! Vastly Better mileage than my last Wrangler 3.6L gas and way more pickup.

Pretty sure it's $4k for the motor and a required $2k for the upgraded transmission for it. I could be incorrect, but that's the numbers that jump into my memory.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I have 41,000 miles on mine. Its been awesome. I really like it. Its my 4th Wrangler. Ya, they are expensive, but with the resale value you can easily build equity in them. I started off with a 2006 TJ that was about as basic as could be. Traded my way up to a Rubicon over the years and my car payment is still the same as when I got the 06 TJ.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Brother has a JLRU.

I think he has ~50k miles on it so far. No real problems that I have heard of (and I would have being the car guy in the family).

Only thing odd I have noticed about it is an unusual amount of rust on the muffler. Any rust is pretty much unusual in CA so...

My experience with Jeeps has not been all that positive but I am not a short wheelbase wheeler nor a convertible sort of guy.
The first month I had 2 door JK softtops as rentals I did not enjoy them (Hawaii)
Last time we went I rented a JKU hardtop and found the 4 door hardtop to be far nicer.
The JLUR is even nicer to drive around in.

I do think I will stick to my Tacoma tho.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nothing screams "bad decision" like a Jeep or Corvette (Ive owned several of both. they are bad decisions, but fun until you're on the side of the road or at the repair shop looking at the extra zero thats on all your repair estimates)

View Quote
LOL. I own two Jeeps (2010 Ruby Unlimited and 2018 Ruby) as well as two Corvettes (2004 ZO6 and 2013 GS). All get driven hard and all have been flawless....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Got a 21 JLUR on order.  Jlwranglerforums.com is the arfcom of the JL world if you want to browse the forum and see people’s opinions and issues.

ETA: It’s a fun vehicle for the wife and I to share.  Keeping my tacoma to DD.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I felt scrunched in.

Did they get the broken welds in the steering fixed on the JL's ?

View Quote

Had the same feeling. I’m 6’5” and i don’t fit in the JL. When they angled the windshield back it cost about 1.5-2 inches of headroom.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Tell you what, give me $45,000 in cash and I'll kick you in the nuts.

That's what it feels like to buy a Jeep JL.

If you want the JK experience, just give me another $5,000 and I'll send you a bag of cat crap.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
similar thread recently

150k! Nice work.

I just hit 51k in my ‘17. Still a blast to drive. First vehicle I’ve ever owned that I think I’d keep forever. Want to do a small life on it and maybe a bumper/winch and take it offroading.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a 1999 Wrangler SE i paid $6000 for a couple years ago, cherry stock, with 100k on it

I have 150k on it now and can sell it for $7000 today with just better tires n rims, lol

Its just a toy, I wouldnt spend more
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Broken windshield wiper stalk.  Left front hub assembly replaced.  Steering gear replaced twice.  Steering dampener replaced twice.  Battery and aux battery replaced.  There's probably more stuff I can't remember.

It still has a couple more things wrong.  The rear differential LSD clutches are gone.  Won't stay in 4low on tough trails.  I get a warning light from time to time when in heavy crosswinds, can't think of it off the top of my head.

It's literally a piece of shit.  But I'd buy it again because I use it for it's intended purpose:  heavy off road.  Nothing is better than a Wranger off road.  If I had bought this Jeep just to look cool and it had all these problems I'd have sold it a loooong time ago.
View Quote

What size tires did you have on this Jeep?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
My ‘14 JKUR just cost me another $1200 today.
Front dif and rear engine seal both making stains on my garage floor.

Had to replace the AC system this past summer.

75K mi

Prob won’t be getting another one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What size tires did you have on this Jeep?
View Quote

Just put 35's on it.  Stock up until then.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Only reason I would get a rubicon is because it's 70% of the way towards being a decent off-roader. The axles are still shit.

Be honest - how much time to you spend off-road?

Two stock 4Runners with Toyota/TRD did the entire Rubicon trail with OEM-sized BFG ATs and sliders, no incidents, and good drivers.

If you want a new Jeep, maybe just get a regular Wrangler?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Funny you mention the 4Runner, I was going to start a new thread asking about those.  I got to thinking that if I'm going to spend 56k on a vehicle I should at least look at all my options.  I do want something that will retain it's value well, and the 4Runner seems pretty high on that list.  I don't go off roading much if at all, but I want something that isn't too run of the mill.  4Runner TRD Pro looks cool, but I honestly know nothing about them.  

Quoted:
Only reason I would get a rubicon is because it's 70% of the way towards being a decent off-roader. The axles are still shit.

Be honest - how much time to you spend off-road?

Two stock 4Runners with Toyota/TRD did the entire Rubicon trail with OEM-sized BFG ATs and sliders, no incidents, and good drivers.

If you want a new Jeep, maybe just get a regular Wrangler?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Bigger and more complicated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I currently have a 2014 4dr Rubicon, but I find myself wanting a new one.  I'm not dead-set on another Rubicon, but I'm leaning that way.  Interested in hearing from the JL owners out there.  How are they holding up, and how does the JL compare to the JK?  Appreciate any input.  Now looking for other options.  Something somewhat cool but still a decent family vehicle.  Honestly a minivan would probably be more practical, but I'm not going that route, ever.
View Quote
Without a doubt, Toyota Land Cruiser.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top