BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the recommendations from both of you. I’ll see what I can scrounge up for him.

Back to the restos.  This is the Peterson I posted earlier that I had simply cleaned and was smoking.

I’ve now down a light resto on it. It got the top of the bowl cleaned up and a light sanding. I re-dyed it and polished it up. I’m very happy with this one as I now feel it looks as good as it smokes.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
This one is going to be a long post as this pipe was really more of a salvage project than a restoration. This was a London made Charaton in the lot of pipes I bought on eBay. Out of the bunch this was the only pipe that wasn’t truly restorable. I liked this pipe when I first looked at it as the lines were great and the band was sterling silver. Unfortunately, when I removed the band it revealed the shank was cracked right in the mortise for the stem. I originally thought I would scrap it or maybe experiment with it to try my hand at sandblasting, but after looking at it for a few days I decided to try fixing it.

It’s the circled pipe.

I polished the stem out earlier just to see how well I could do with a severely oxidized stem. It turned out really well and further inspired me to attempt to fix the pipe.

First step was glueing the break. I glued it with super glue, wrapped it tightly with a rubber band and let it set for a day or so.

Here is the bowl after removing the rubber band.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Then comes the tedious boring part of the restoration. Sanding!  First up was 320 grit. Unfortunately, the break is right through the logo, so I knew I was going to lose some sharpness in the logo.  You can see the repaired break if you look close.  

500 grit

1000 grit

Then 1200 grit. Part of my plan for saving this pipe involved the sterling silver band. I decided to glue the band to the shank to serve as a reinforcement.  To be sure I would get a good bond, i masked off the area of the shank to be glued so I wouldn’t have wax buffed into that area preventing good adhesion.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The next step was dyeing the briar. Right now I’m waiting on my dye order to come in so this pipe got the trusty Winchester dye. An old wine cork stuck in the chamber makes a good holder for this operation.

Here is the bowl after buffing.

Here is a close up of the repaired area.

Here’s the sterling mark on the band.

And the finished pipe!

This was a very satisfying restoration. I would never want to trade or sell this pipe to someone else, but I think it will be great occasional smoker.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Robert, You do good work.  That pipe came out beautiful!

I wanted to thank you for the suggestion of John Dengler Tobacco.  I called today and spoke with, IIRC, Larry.  I have never talked to someone as nice.  Super helpful.  I ordered the 4 pack sampler on his suggestion.  It does come with Packet.  He doesn't know me from Adam and was going to just stick it in the mail and let me send a check when I got it.  Amazing that someone still does business that way.  I was able to go ahead and pay him with a card, which they evidently don't normally do? They earned a customer today.  They are evidently VERY busy.  He had to take my name and number and call me back.  Just a heads up, they are about to go up on prices next month.  He said it was the first time in years.

I also ordered that estate Peterson you suggested along with a Czech pipe tool and a Mac Baren Scottish blend to try.  I forgot pipe cleaners, but can get them locally easily.  

I'm looking forward to this journey.  I hope I like it as much as I do cigars.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Robert, You do good work.  That pipe came out beautiful!

I wanted to thank you for the suggestion of John Dengler Tobacco.  I called today and spoke with, IIRC, Larry.  I have never talked to someone as nice.  Super helpful.  I ordered the 4 pack sampler on his suggestion.  It does come with Packet.  He doesn't know me from Adam and was going to just stick it in the mail and let me send a check when I got it.  Amazing that someone still does business that way.  I was able to go ahead and pay him with a card, which they evidently don't normally do? They earned a customer today.  They are evidently VERY busy.  He had to take my name and number and call me back.  Just a heads up, they are about to go up on prices next month.  He said it was the first time in years.

I also ordered that estate Peterson you suggested along with a Czech pipe tool and a Mac Baren Scottish blend to try.  I forgot pipe cleaners, but can get them locally easily.  

I'm looking forward to this journey.  I hope I like it as much as I do cigars.

View Quote

Glad you liked Larry!  I hope you enjoy your tobacco and the pipe I recommended. BTW, if you get the pipe and hate it, let me know and I’ll buy it from you. Be sure and post some pics when you get it.

It’s a shame you’re not close enough to visit the Dengler shop. It’s in a 150 year old brick building in the heart of old town St. Charles and just oozes character.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, this will be my next victim. This horrid thing is a Derby Pigskin leather wrapped pipe. I have a plan that may result in nice pipe or a bit of kindling for the fireplace. Time will tell.  

I’ll post a set of pictures when I’m done, regardless of the outcome!

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ooooh - are you guying to dye the leather?
View Quote

Not quite
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Leather coming off?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Leather coming off?
View Quote

Wait and see

Supposedly, these leather wrapped pipes are made with reject briars and can’t be finished as smooth briars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate you Robert, my eBay is now littered with estate pipes. I have more projects around this house to finish than this quarantine time will allow now you are making me want to work on pipes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hate you Robert, my eBay is now littered with estate pipes. I have more projects around this house to finish than this quarantine time will allow now you are making me want to work on pipes.
View Quote

Glad to help!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I finished the leather wrapped Derby this morning, so I’ll post some photos of the process.

First step

Here’s the briar underneath. You can see the defect that probably led to it being leather wrapped.

First step is getting the stem in some Oxy-Clean

Reaming the bowl

Salt and alcohol soak

Oxy-Clean doing its job.

Here’s how the salt looks after 24 hours

Back together for a test fit

Sanding and stem repairs. Dude that owned this pipe was a real chewer!

The defect in the bowl really shows after sanding

To be continued.....
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Say hello to my little friend!!!

After sandblasting

After staining

After buffing and re-assembly

I think it turned out pretty well.  The sandblasting was a learning experience for sure. If I can find something similar to work on, I might try my hand at rustication next time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I guessed it...mostly, what do I win?

Turned out nice!!  What did/will you do about the stem?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I guessed it...mostly, what do I win?

Turned out nice!!  What did/will you do about the stem?
View Quote

@wlc

I did a super glue fill on the worst of the dents and finally had to quit as I was afraid of sanding through. It’s much better than it was, but not as good as I would like.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]
This is my next victim. This was reason I bought the lot of 15 pipes from eBay. I really took a shot hoping this was restorable and I think I accidentally hit a home run!  From my research, this is a 1945-1947 Pre-Republic 1314 Sterling Silver mounted small bent billiard.  This pipe has been smoked very little and is in great condition except for an excessive amount of oxidation on the stem. It’s currently getting the salt and alcohol treatment and I should be able to finish it tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Love that wood grain!

My pipe should be sitting at the P.O. but I'm going to wait till Friday and hope my John Dengle order shows up as well.  Trying not to venture out to town more than once a week until this virus stuff calms down.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the little Peterson from my eBay batch.

Here is the logo and hallmarks.

Here is the model # and Made in Ireland stamp. There’s a little mystery surrounding the 4 digit part number. They make the same pipe today as a 314, but it isn’t silver mounted. Maybe the 1 denotes silver mounting, nobody seems to know. The circular Made in Ireland dates it to 1945-1947 as far as I can tell.

Here’s the finished pipe. I may do a little more work on the stem as it still shows a tiny bit of brown in a strong light. I was being really careful with this one because of the history involved as the pipe is somewhere around 75 years old and in incredible shape.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Turned out really well. That is a beautiful pipe!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Turned out really well. That is a beautiful pipe!!
View Quote

Thanks!  I asked for opinions on the Peterson Facebook page and it is a 1945-1947 Pre-Empire pipe. The extra number in the model number seems to designate it was for the Canadian market. Interesting stuff!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Very nice work.  I have an old CPF pipe that I've been wanting to restore one of these days.  It has a hole bitten through the stem so I'm not sure if I should just make a new one or try to fill in the original.  It's a really neat pipe, with gold foil embossing.  Maybe I'll start on it while I'm stuck in the house.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very nice work.  I have an old CPF pipe that I've been wanting to restore one of these days.  It has a hole bitten through the stem so I'm not sure if I should just make a new one or try to fill in the original.  It's a really neat pipe, with gold foil embossing.  Maybe I'll start on it while I'm stuck in the house.
View Quote

Post pics!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Now when I look at pipes on eBay I feel like I’m just bidding against all of you guys!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now when I look at pipes on eBay I feel like I’m just bidding against all of you guys!
View Quote

If you’re bidding on Peterson’s, you need to have a sniper app. Somebody is really active in the Peterson auctions with last second bids.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Here’s a little Kaywoody I did yesterday. This one was just a clean up and buff other than sanding the casting flash out of the stem.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Finished up a Meerschaum lined Sir Charles today. This one had several flaws in the briar and a couple of the fills had fallen out. I filled it with super glue and briar dust as suggested by @fas2c in my pipe building thread.

Here’s the repair.

Here’s the repair after a bit of sanding.

Here’s the repair after dyeing and buffing.

Here’s the pipe. This is a new dye color I just received and I was really happy with how the color turned out.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
My latest pipe. My wife was bored and she did all of the sanding on this one. She is disabled and only has the use of one hand. I was able to use the adjustable reamer as a makeshift spindle so I could clamp it in the vise for her to work on it.  It’s a slightly rusticated Dr. Grabow.

It didn’t turn out bad at all, but I’m not sure how great of an idea it was to let my wife think she could be in my workshop.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#35]
This next pipe really isn’t a restoration, but more of what I would consider a “continuation”, because it’s a continuation of the work done by @DK-Prof. Some of you may remember that a while back DK was gracious enough to gift several of the “less than perfect” pipes in his inventory. Myself and two of my friends were the lucky recipients of three of these pipes. The bottom pipe in this photo was the one I received.

It wasn’t really a second, but more a concept pipe that led to the development of my beloved Stamme #108, my favorite Vinland pipe.

As you can see they are similar, but different pipes. I’ve smoked it a few times and thought I might like it a bit more if the stem were bent to match the green #108 pipe. Well, bending the stem led to realizing the stem had oxidized a little which led to sanding and buffing the stem and the next thing I knew, the pipe was in the sandblaster!

Anyway, this is what I ended up with after blasting, re-dyeing and buffing. I hope the good professor approves!

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Hanging around to see those Oom Pauls get worked on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#37]
The fills didn't turn out too bad considering they will be orange with a putty. I would be happy with that. Many times the Cyanoacrylate will shrink after sanding a require several applications to completly fill
Here is an heavily filled example on Reborn Pipes

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#39]
No new pipes today, but I did organize my pipe “cabinet”.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hanging around to see those Oom Pauls get worked on.
View Quote

The larger of the two Oom Pauls is up next!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#42]
@AZ-AR15

Here’s the bigger Oom Paul. I’m not having any luck finding any info on the maker. The pipe is simply marked OOM PAUL Italy and has a white open star makers mark. Unfortunately, several different Italian makers used the white star mark. Oh well, it’s still a nice pipe and was basically unsmoked, just aged and oxidized.

Before

After

My next victim

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No new pipes today, but I did organize my pipe “cabinet”.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/E53DAC06-0327-49DA-81BD-841403B71F1A-1354796.jpg
View Quote

Oh, my!  Cool!!

That has to be the coolest thing I have ever seen a roll away toolbox used for.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice.  Update us on how they smoke next.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh, my!  Cool!!

That has to be the coolest thing I have ever seen a roll away toolbox used for.
View Quote

They make a good BBQ cart also. I picked this on up in the scratch and dent aisle at Sears for $50 and added the cutting board inset.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here’s one I am working on.

It’s a “restoration” because it was one of the first pipes I ever made (number 006), but it was big and clunky and clumsy ... so I have reshaped it, and am now almost ready to stain it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/269FCF73-BDE2-40E9-A531-CE486A433A58-1355883.jpg
View Quote

That’s going to be beautiful!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just ordered a bunch of restoration supplies off amazon and am following 6 or 7 lots of estate pipes on eBay.

I may have opened Pandora’s box.
View Quote

It get's to be addicting.

Most of my pipes are estate pipes from ebay sales.

Most cost me less that $15

I have only been dissapointed with 1 pipe, and it was still well worth the $12 I spent on it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#49]
@AZ-AR15

Here’s the little Oom Paul all finished up.

I also just finished this big assed heavily rusticated billiard. I can’t read the name, but I really like the pipe.

Here’s the name but I can’t make it out. Maybe one of you guys has some “enhance” software and can read it for me.

This one’s up next. It’s a little vest pocket pipe my wife bought because she thought it was “cute”.

ETA, the mystery pipe is a custom-bilt from the ‘50s.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Just a heads up, RNA Treasures is having a stay at home sale on their unfinished pipes.  These are unfinished and some finished pipes from a French manufacturer that went out of business in the ‘70s. They are normally $15.00 each, but are on sale right now for $5.00 each. They still show as $15.00 but the price changes to $5.00 when you put them in your cart. Their shipping is very reasonable also. I’ve never ordered one before, but a lot of folks in the pipemaking groups on Facebook order them and like them.

I ordered 20, and I may go back and get a few more. BTW the first selection in the sale section are French briar billiards and they still show $15.00 when you put them in your cart.  If they get the glitch fixed, I’ll definitely order a few of those also.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top