Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:01 PM EDT
“The real estate data rolling in for April and May shows that the U.S. housing market is softening. New home sales fell 19% to their lowest level since April 2020. Redfin reports 19% of home listings cut their price over the past month. Inventory is rising fast, while mortgage applications and existing home sales are also falling.

This drop-off isn't a result of seasonality, or a soft month or two. Zandi says it's a trajectory flip: Demand is pulling back—fast—in the face of mortgage rates that have spiked dramatically.

The housing market has peaked…everything points to a rolling over of the housing market," Zandi says. "In terms of home sales, they're falling sharply. Housing demand is coming down fast. Home price growth [will] go flat here pretty quickly; we will see [home] price declines in a significant number of markets."

Unlike a stock market correction, which means a greater than 10% drop in equities, Zandi says a "housing correction" means the end of the housing boom and the beginning of a period where home prices will fall in some regional markets. Over the coming 12 months, he expects year-over-year home price growth to be 0%. If that comes to fruition, it'd mark the worst 12-month stretch since 2012. It would also be whiplash for real estate agents and brokers who've watched home prices soar 19.8% over the past year.”

More

A lot of us here have seen the writing on the wall for a while. A 3% increase in APR from our previous lows equates to about a 40% increase in MONTHLY payment. Expect housing prices to fall in all but the hottest markets over the coming months.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to buy houses in nice neighborhoods and turn them into Section 8
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
But what about the millions of illegals flooding our country?  Where are they living?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But what about the millions of illegals flooding our country?  Where are they living?
View Quote

Hopefully camped out in Nancy Pelosis yard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its got a wall around it....
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"The real estate data rolling in for April and May shows that the U.S. housing market is softening. New home sales fell 19% to their lowest level since April 2020. Redfin reports 19% of home listings cut their price over the past month. Inventory is rising fast, while mortgage applications and existing home sales are also falling.

This drop-off isn't a result of seasonality, or a soft month or two. Zandi says it's a trajectory flip: Demand is pulling backfastin the face of mortgage rates that have spiked dramatically.

The housing market has peakedeverything points to a rolling over of the housing market," Zandi says. "In terms of home sales, they're falling sharply. Housing demand is coming down fast. Home price growth [will] go flat here pretty quickly; we will see [home] price declines in a significant number of markets."

Unlike a stock market correction, which means a greater than 10% drop in equities, Zandi says a "housing correction" means the end of the housing boom and the beginning of a period where home prices will fall in some regional markets. Over the coming 12 months, he expects year-over-year home price growth to be 0%. If that comes to fruition, it'd mark the worst 12-month stretch since 2012. It would also be whiplash for real estate agents and brokers who've watched home prices soar 19.8% over the past year."

More

A lot of us here have seen the writing on the wall for a while. A 3% increase in APR from our previous lows equates to about a 40% increase in MONTHLY payment. Expect housing prices to fall in all but the hottest markets over the coming months.
View Quote

I was always told people shop for houses based on the monthly payment, and I saw the rate increases as raising monthly payments by 33% more than where I'm at now.

I assumed prices would have to reflect that within a couple months.  If they didn't, it would mean institutional buyers are driving the market alone.

I hope to see prices drop.  I'm up like 50% in under two years, which is ridiculous.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope so, I'm looking to buy a second home hopefully this year
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Con tia Maria Jose y en la holiday inn express.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully it slides back into an area where younger folks working their asses off to finally purchase a house can actually afford to purchase one without showing up with cash in hand and an offer 10% over asking.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
They're still rising here in SE TX. Even the houses that flooded in Hurricane Harvey are selling above pre-Harvey prices.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
“Gotta buy your house NOW before rates go up! Homes allllllllllways go up in price!” - every realtor spring 2022
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its got a wall around it....
View Quote

The first wall at the border didn’t stop them
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a house in my neighborhood that has been on the market for $6.5mil for almost 365 days, a week ago the seller INCREASED the asking price by a million dollars, $7.5mil. The seller was nuts before, now they are full out on crack.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
“Gotta buy your house NOW before rates go up! Homes allllllllllways go up in price!” - every realtor spring 2022
View Quote

I have many realtor acquaintances, and all of them wholeheartedly repeat that line. Most of them weren’t realtors in 08 if that tells you anything. They might have to actually start working for their money again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They're still rising here in SE TX. Even the houses that flooded in Hurricane Harvey are selling above pre-Harvey prices.
View Quote

That is because we are in a hot market.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a house in my neighborhood that has been on the market for $6.5mil for almost 365 days, a week ago the seller INCREASED the asking price by a million dollars, $7.5mil. The seller was nuts before, now they are full out on crack.
View Quote

Sounds like they are “fulfilling” divorce proceedings
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The first wall at the border didn't stop them
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not everyone has gotten the memo yet about what's coming?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope it drops.

A 5 acre lot is going for 250k to 300k.   5 years ago my plan was to buy a lot and sit on it until I neared retirement.    Then build a retirement home.  

My current house is two stories with 5 bedrooms.    I'm not going to need so much space, and won't want to go up and down the stairs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I am hoping to maybe buy some raw land
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is because we are in a hot market.
View Quote

Yeah, places that were relatively “cheap” May honestly have a way to climb before finding equilibrium. I don’t know anything about the Texas market, but I’ve been told by many retiring coworkers they were shopping in Texas because of affordability and freedom.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fomo
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hopefully it slides back into an area where younger folks working their asses off to finally purchase a house can actually afford to purchase one without showing up with cash in hand and an offer 10% over asking.
View Quote

Sure would be nice, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Now watch what happens when all the foreign investors sell out and invest in something else.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Or it’s the cost of EVERYTHING else too up making people decide the roof over their head is good enough.

The last two mortgage rate bumps didn’t do anything to slow the above market sales.

I really think that people do not comprehend actual cost and only think in terms of monthly payments.

Once it hits oh crap for the people who don’t look out it dries up fast.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Added the map from the link, check out Arizona and FL
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m not seeing this at all where I live in Florida. There is no inventory and people are moving here in droves from up north with cash offers at listing price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m not seeing this at all where I live in Florida. There is no inventory and people are moving here in droves from up north with cash offers at listing price.
View Quote

How does your AO correspond with the map? Over or undervalued?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

My cousin just sold his place in Granite bay ( near Folsom lake ) for 1.7 and picked up a place in Prescott AZ for about the same.

Looks like he just went from one of the most undervalued places to one of the overvalued......at the exact wrong time.  oooo it's gonna sting a bit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Over, but it’s not going to change unless inventory increases or demand decreases. Neither is happening right now. It’s a hot market here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Good. I kinda want to buy the former crack head place down the street. It got cleaned up and on the market. Just gotta be cheap enough to throw away the trailer on the lot. It'll make a perfect machine shop with the large shop on the lot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything will be fine
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I don’t know. A high end house down the street sold in 24 hours this week.    Up 50% over its 2015 price.

I thought they were screwed listing so late in the spring
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Red Roof Inn in Jackson OH. 45640 is one well known spot. To the point that a food truck serving whatever food they like, they don’t like our food, has been permanently parked behind the hotel.

They’ve now filled that hotel up & are taking over The Comfort Inn in the middle of town.

I have it on good authority that Bellisio Foods is bringing them because they can’t find enough Americans to run their factory.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Wisconsin map is interesting. Housing in Madison and Milwaukee has risen quite a bit over the past year or so and only in the past week or two have I seen any real price decreases on existing listings. There certainly aren't many listings around the median income so I'm not really sure why they are closer to the undervalued level in the map.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My cousin just sold his place in Granite bay ( near Folsom lake ) for 1.7 and picked up a place in Prescott AZ for about the same.

Looks like he just went from one of the most undervalued places to one of the overvalued......at the exact wrong time.  oooo it's gonna sting a bit.
View Quote

I said it in another thread and got scoffed at, but people could find themselves upside down 10-25% on their mortgage in the next 2 years, hopefully he likes his location and house.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#39]
No it will keep going up forever.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both are Deep Purple.

TC
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#41]
5.5% is still pretty low.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Wisconsin map is interesting. Housing in Madison and Milwaukee has risen quite a bit over the past year or so and only in the past week or two have I seen any real price decreases on existing listings. There certainly aren't many listings around the median income so I'm not really sure why they are closer to the undervalued level in the map.
View Quote

I’m just west of St Louis county in MN and our property taxes are soaring. Really hope my property value drops 30-40%. I ain’t moving, they’ll bury me here, now I need my taxes to decrease
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
“The real estate data rolling in for April and May shows that the U.S. housing market is softening. New home sales fell 19% to their lowest level since April 2020. Redfin reports 19% of home listings cut their price over the past month. Inventory is rising fast, while mortgage applications and existing home sales are also falling.

This drop-off isn't a result of seasonality, or a soft month or two. Zandi says it's a trajectory flip: Demand is pulling back—fast—in the face of mortgage rates that have spiked dramatically.

The housing market has peaked…everything points to a rolling over of the housing market," Zandi says. "In terms of home sales, they're falling sharply. Housing demand is coming down fast. Home price growth [will] go flat here pretty quickly; we will see [home] price declines in a significant number of markets."

Unlike a stock market correction, which means a greater than 10% drop in equities, Zandi says a "housing correction" means the end of the housing boom and the beginning of a period where home prices will fall in some regional markets. Over the coming 12 months, he expects year-over-year home price growth to be 0%. If that comes to fruition, it'd mark the worst 12-month stretch since 2012. It would also be whiplash for real estate agents and brokers who've watched home prices soar 19.8% over the past year.”

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/k.73wjNeuYsExSGOvikx9g--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTYxOA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/P04Vf_UC2rdmf9FRvwK_9g--~B/aD0xMTk4O3c9MTI0MDthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/fortune_175/786d45802c57e6b831ba3464662ca927

More

View Quote

Says my market is 50% over priced.  

And yet probably 50% lower than the county average.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the flip side, I feel badly for my friends who have saved their asses off, and just finally afforded a starter home. It's going to hurt if prices crash, considering all the sacrifices they've made.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
5.5% is still pretty low.
View Quote

Right but you need to look at the price of the houses, 5.5% makes a previously affordable house at the median into 70% of the medians take home pay. Which is why we’re about to see a big correction.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe my market is 70%+ over priced.

House went on the market about 30 days ago. 1 acre lot, in the country, in front of a horse farm. 1950s ranch house. To quote the realtor “needs heavy foundation work and engineering.”

Hasn’t been updated on the inside since the late 80s early 90s. Newer ish roof.  Maybe resided in the 70s with aluminum siding.

$170,000

That, 3 years ago would of been maybe at best a 75k house.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally...Posted...By...Foxtrot08:
I...believe...my...market...is...70%+...over...priced....

House...went...on...the...market...about...30...days...ago....1...acre...lot,...in...the...country,...in...front...of...a...horse...farm....1950s...ranch...house....To...quote...the...realtor..."needs...heavy...foundation...work...and...engineering."

Hasn't...been...updated...on...the...inside...since...the...late...80s...early...90s....Newer...ish...roof.... Maybe...resided...in...the...70s...with...aluminum...siding....

$170,000

That,...3...years...ago...would...of...been...maybe...at...best...a...75k...house.
View Quote
Welcome...to...the...club. ...I...paid...85K...for...my...house...1......years...ago...and...I...could...sell...it...for...almost...300K...now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I...don't...know...why...my...reply...has...a...lot...of...periods. ...I'm...going...to...roll...with...it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Time to buy houses in nice neighborhoods and turn them into Section 8
View Quote

Don't worry,BlackRock has that covered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the dark purple. Hope it stays like that.

A house (ugly ass house) two properties over just sold for 100k over asking price. Around 750k
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top