Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2021 7:40:25 AM EDT
Have a paid for dream property that we want to build a house on.....but would like to put more money down to reduce Monthly mortgage payment.  

Currently we live 3 miles away in a house worth $250k that we owe $150k on.  1800sf 3 bed 2 bath good neighborhood.  It was a live in Reno flip we did in 2020. Now we are enjoying it while the market goes bonkers with all the folk from New York and Jersey flocking here. ??????? Wife’s in real estate and has run the comps.  My job is steady.

Early 30s, wife, 20 month old and one on the way.  

Housing Market is good here, plan is to wait 11 months so we don’t have to pay capital gains tax on current home and Then sell. In the mean time finish building onto my Ag barn/building for a 750’sf “cabin”.  Basically a 3 bed 1 bath.  2 small bedrooms (Oversized closets) for the kiddos.

Wife is completely onboard, we will he debt free, living on the property Where we want to be and have 75k-$100k ready to start building with.

Should cost around $20k to complete and I can write it off as a ag business cost on my small farm.

Crazy? Worth it? Pros? Cons?

Obligatory picture of the farm family ??

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good plan. How much land do you have?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
11 acres at the end of a rock road bordered by a creek and wetlands. No flooding with ample privacy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a plan. A good friend of mine did that 30 years ago. He built a 30x40 garage with a barn roof design. The second floor was master bed and bath. Ground floor was 2 bedrooms efficiency kitchen, den and another bath. They lived in that for a few years until house was built. The bottom floor was then gutted and is used as a barn the second floor is guest house.

Similar design

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I can write it off as a ag business cost on my small farm.

View Quote

I'd just say to pay an actual accountant for a written opinion on that proposition.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd just say to pay an actual accountant for a written opinion on that proposition.
View Quote

Good point.  We have to be within the “law”.  I was told to keep a detailed list of all costs on a spreadsheet to turn into the accountant each year.  I did that this year on my taxes and there were not any concerns with the building material purchased.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a CPA, since it’s an agricultural building/office it qualifies. The cabin can be used for farm tours (Already conduct tours) and guests after I move into the house.

Since the existing facility already is power and water inspected by the county....the county does not require further inspections on additions.  I checked with them first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top