Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2022 11:21:13 PM EDT
Well, for 2/22/22 at 2pm...purchased another house. The SO thinks I'm nuts...she's probably not far off the mark...haha.
House is next door to the folks, mom is going through cancer treatment. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make sure the folks are taken care of.

The downside...house is trashed. Cat and dog pissed soaked carpeting...30 years of shit packed in the attic spaces...pics will give you an idea.

For those who have tackled properties in this condition...advice for odor eliminating on the subfloor.
I purchased an airless, and will be "Kilzing" everything. I do want to pretreat the subfloor before sealing it.
Currently looking at covering floor in baking soda, then over spraying with vinegar. I don't want to foul the subfloor, as I want maximum adhesion for the Kilz. Not sure the baking soda/vinegar combo is good, versus enzymatic solution?
Just scratch the pretreat, and just Kilz the shit out of it?

TIA for any suggestions.

First...because rules...

On to the mess...
Day one 2/23

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Today's progress...

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Dog piss....  Your on the right track

Cat Piss...   your mostly SOL   replace the SUB on the worst spots or it will smell for years no matter what you do
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dog piss....  Your on the right track

Cat Piss...   your mostly SOL   replace the SUB on the worst spots or it will smell for years no matter what you do
View Quote

This.

Don't waste your time trying to cover up cat piss.  Rip it out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
after you rip out cat piss sub floor, prior to kilz, rent ozone generator to remove a bunch of stink as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
after you rip out cat piss sub floor, prior to kilz, rent ozone generator to remove a bunch of stink as well.
View Quote

Came in say ozone machine as well
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, suggestions. Yeah, the cat piss is fuckin exhausting. I've been in a lot worse houses over 30 yrs with the department...but we're in and out. I have 16 hours into this mess...and holy shit...the wheezing I have once home is crazy. Makes for an interesting night at the gym. People look,at ya like your spreading the rona.

Day three...on its way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I would spend $50 on enzyme and give that a few days before ripping it out. I’ve had good luck with this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6NF6W?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Would a nationally known cleaning service be able to deal properly with the smell?  Your making some impressive progress there OP.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Rip out the plywood

Don’t even chance it
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would spend $50 on enzyme and give that a few days before ripping it out. I’ve had good luck with this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.
I've heard good things about the enzymatic...will be giving a few things a shot for test and tune.
At the moment...it's just been covering the floor with baking soda...since there's so much more tear out.
Only carpet left is in the basement, (and a ton of shit) that's out Saturday.
Federal Pacific panel box is being replaced Saturday.

Quoted:
Would a nationally known cleaning service be able to deal properly with the smell?  Your making some impressive progress there OP.

Thanks, I'm beat for sure. I do not mind the prep work... March will be a long month.
I'm saving that expense for duct cleaning.
I have the time, though gave myself 30 days to get it to move in condition.
Well see how that works out.
As suggested I'll replace some of the sub floor that's been repeatedly saturated.

One would think after a full day, a person would sleep great.
Me...not so much. Can't shut down the damn brain.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, going to need to rip out the subfloor.

Probably have to rip up the lower 2ft of drywall as well as any base moulding. Wouldn’t surprise me if the piss smell is soaked into the paint all around, and I don’t know if Kilz will take care of that. I’d hate to have to rip all the drywall, but I’d hate to paint over it for nothing with the cost of paint.

Watch for damage to the joists/structure under the heavy soaked spots. While you have the subfloor up, that would be a great time to sister in an extra joist here and there to eliminate any squeaky/sagging floor from natural settling/wear.

I’d want to figure something with those stairs in the garage. Not sure if they are grandfathered or illegal or what. I think there’s fire codes that require less slope and bigger treads? If for nothing else than you don’t bust your ass or crack your dome.

At least it’s not a full hoarder house. That platform bed concept is pretty neat for a kid’s room, was there storage underneath it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hydrogen peroxide helps with the piss IF it penetrates far enough, although I’ve never tried it on plywood. Ditto to the ozone comment, but it only hits things on the surface so anything soaked in will come back.

You should not be in that house doing cleaning without a respirator.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard ozone generators work well...thanks for the link. I know a local guy in the fire/water/ hazzard restoration business...and will see if they have a commercial unit available.

Replacing parts of the subfloor has to be done, I'm actually surprised the subfloor wasn't worse. The carpet he had in there was extremely well made. It hadn't seen a sweeper in at least 10 years. Sad really, seeing a 30 year Automotive Engineer....fade into a shell of a man. Walked away from it.

I got into the crawl space, and took a look. I don't like what I see...I'll leave it at that, since it's speculative until I rip out the surrounding subfloor.

Entry and rear slider subfloor is getting replaced as well. As stated...fuckin price of plywood right now...stupid.

Can't belive 80 yards of shit out of this pig...still have over the garage to empty.

Anyhow...almost have all the tack strip, base molding out.

Damn I hate wallpaper...had "shaky puddin" with me today...so it went decent.

Where I'm at...more damn wallpaper...haha.

Thanks for the replies.

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#15]
So last  night I secured a commercial ozone machine...odd thing though...I was told to seal the house up using Kilz....then use the ozone machine.

Kind of thought this would be backwards?

I know...do both...but I don't have the time to be inefficient.

Thoughts?

On a side note...all that damn wallpaper is gone.

Now for popcorn ceiling removal...

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#17]
 Damn.  Good luck with that project. Makes me tired just looking at the pics.  I guess I'm a "Light a match and let ir burn" kind of guy.

FWIW, a close friend of mine bought some rentals here in town.  One was an old duplex they remodeled. His cheap ass law partner called out a scrap collector to pull out the old oil burning heater and the guy didn't know what the fuck he was doing.  He dumped fuel oil all over the floors and splashed it on the walls getting it out.  He spent weeks putting coat after coat of Kilz on everything trying to hide the smell.  
My son rented the place from him when it was ready.  Every time he came home, he stunk like fuel oil.  His dog stunk of fuel oil. When we visited it was so strong I could not stay in the house.

I took some old kitty litter buckets, drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in the bottom, filled the buckets with charcoal.  Then I took the lid, cut a 4" hole on the top and installed a pancake fan drawing air up.  Put two of these in the house and after a week had him change the charcoal.  After a month or two and a couple or three charcoal swaps the place was about 95% better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would run the ozone machine before putting down Kilz.  The Kilz may create a barrier that the ozone may not be able to penetrate, only to seep through the Kilz later.
Either way will probably be fine though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I would run the ozone machine before putting down Kilz.  The Kilz may create a barrier that the ozone may not be able to penetrate, only to seep through the Kilz later.
Either way will probably be fine though.

Thanks...that's exactly what I was thinking. I've secured a machine, and can get it for a weekend when I'm ready. Fortunately the stink is much more tolerable since tear out, constant traffic patterns, and continued cleaning. The machine and kilz will make a huge difference.
Sort of an interesting way a buddy told me how to get the cat piss odor knocked down...vinegar.
Just pour it in bowls, and put them near the heat vents. Believe it or not, it knocked it down until I can treat as above.

Quoted:
 Damn.  Good luck with that project. Makes me tired just looking at the pics.  I guess I'm a "Light a match and let ir burn" kind of guy.

FWIW, a close friend of mine bought some rentals here in town.  One was an old duplex they remodeled. His cheap ass law partner called out a scrap collector to pull out the old oil burning heater and the guy didn't know what the fuck he was doing.  He dumped fuel oil all over the floors and splashed it on the walls getting it out.  He spent weeks putting coat after coat of Kilz on everything trying to hide the smell.  
My son rented the place from him when it was ready.  Every time he came home, he stunk like fuel oil.  His dog stunk of fuel oil. When we visited it was so strong I could not stay in the house.

I took some old kitty litter buckets, drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in the bottom, filled the buckets with charcoal.  Then I took the lid, cut a 4" hole on the top and installed a pancake fan drawing air up.  Put two of these in the house and after a week had him change the charcoal.  After a month or two and a couple or three charcoal swaps the place was about 95% better.

That would suck....not sure I could tolerate that. Creative way to get that odor knocked down.

Anyhow, this kitchen is a PITA...layout sucks. I planned on knocking out some walls...but I'm not planning on staying in this house forever. I have other shit to do...fireplace/windows/doors/roof/baths....the list goes on.

So...here is where I'm at with it...

What kitchen looked like

Now...still moving wiring out of the old soffit. I'm frigging beat...retirement my ass.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to deal with this with a house we bought a few years ago.  Tried all sorts of chemicals and nothing worked.  Smell came back in a few days.  

We were putting down wood floors and were getting quotes to do the work.  We had one wood floor guy (an old guy that had been in the business for 40+ years) come in to give us a quote.  While we were talking, he asked me what the plan was for the cat piss smell (first one to mention it).  I told him what I tried and that I was planning to rip out the sub-floor in affected areas.  He pointed out only one small area where I needed to do that.  The rest of the areas he said could be mitigated by using Zinsser BIN oil based primer.  I asked him if he was sure if that would work.  He just smiled and said "of course it will".   He handed me his quote on a notepad piece of paper, along with his info and left.  I did exactly what he said to do (replaced 1 4x8 piece of sub-floor and I did the primer over the entire floor).  We never smelled anything for the entire 10 years we lived in the house after that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had to deal with this with a house we bought a few years ago.  Tried all sorts of chemicals and nothing worked.  Smell came back in a few days.  

We were putting down wood floors and were getting quotes to do the work.  We had one wood floor guy (an old guy that had been in the business for 40+ years) come in to give us a quote.  While we were talking, he asked me what the plan was for the cat piss smell (first one to mention it).  I told him what I tried and that I was planning to rip out the sub-floor in affected areas.  He pointed out only one small area where I needed to do that.  The rest of the areas he said could be mitigated by using Zinsser BIN oil based primer.  I asked him if he was sure if that would work.  He just smiled and said "of course it will".   He handed me his quote on a notepad piece of paper, along with his info and left.  I did exactly what he said to do (replaced 1 4x8 piece of sub-floor and I did the primer over the entire floor).  We never smelled anything for the entire 10 years we lived in the house after that.
View Quote

Good to know....just picked up 15 gallons. I hope they get more in stock...I'll need it. The Zinzer BIN has performed better than the KILZ brand.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good to know....just picked up 15 gallons. I hope they get more in stock...I'll need it. The Zinzer BIN has performed better than the KILZ brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zinsser BIN is a shellac , not an oil, which is why it works better
Kilz restoration is supposedly a water based product that performs like a shellac per my Behr Rep.
We just put 15 gallons on the walls of a space next to a cigar shop and are running ozone generators now twice a night for a week.  Will see how it does.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I wasn't talking about Kilz Restoration...I was referring to the original oil based. I haven't had much luck with the restoration for stubborn stains...marker, crayon, smoke, etc.
The price point difference between Kilz, (more $) and Zinzer is surprising. As stated...Zinzer works better for it's stated properties. Finding it in stock, is another story. Hopefully by the time I'm spraying...I'll have 40 gallons on hand.

Anyhow...have all the wiring redone...cabinets ordered, and drywall is almost up in the kitchen.
Another 10 yd hopper full...(that's 100yds of trash/junk) one attic space left to empty.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Almost out of one mess, and into another. I'm so ready to stop tear out, and begin building.

Anyone rebuild their fireplace?

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I think you're kicking ass on the project.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks...it feels like it's kicking mine at the moment.
I wanted to be in this place by April 1st...not happening. So much left to do. Building materials are fuckin stupid $9 bucks for a 2X4X8

On a positive note, I did manage to get cabinets in 2 days...plywood boxes, soft close doors and drawers.

Anyone have any issues with their TV mounted over the fireplace? The insert is out of there, as it's for heat. House was insulated for electric heat, and prior owner converted to gas so it stays warm.
The heat signature won't be as bad, but will certainly be a factor.
I though about a projector, but this room isn't going to be the primary entertainment area...but would like to throw a 55" tv up there. It will be 24" from the bottom of the TV to the top of the FP.
I'll have it prewired regardless.

The wood rot on both sides of the FP is bad, the 2X12 header (doubled) needs replaced, as the one in the rear is rotted. The 2X4's the headers sitting on, are rotted to the point of no support. Those we're doubled as well, but completely rotted. Sub floor is non existent to the inside corners of the FP. Lots of framing/support going on tomorrow. Need to address the leak first, time for a roof, as it's leaking from the flashing around the chimney/ roof line. House has three layers of shingles, I hate roofing, so that job is being subbed out. I doubt shingle prices are dropping anytime soon.

I'll be glad when I can get this house sprayed out with Kilz, textured, and painted.
Fortunately the French doors are 7 days out, which should give me time to frame out the FP, replace subfloor, then finish the drywall in the kitchen, bedroom, and now FP wall.

I do have a superhero (dad) helping me though, and THE reason for this whole project. Being next door to the folks. Mom is going through cancer treatment, and it will be so nice to give dad needed breaks, help mom, make sure the fridge is full, hot meals, etc.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Don’t put the tv over the fireplace….I do/did (retiring in less than 3 weeks ) this shit for a living.  Avixa standards (AV Industry guidelines) tell you not no but hell no.  And your neck will too. And heat rising will destroy a tv in short order.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don’t put the tv over the fireplace….I do/did (retiring in less than 3 weeks ) this shit for a living.  Avixa standards (AV Industry guidelines) tell you not no but hell no.  And your neck will too. And heat rising will destroy a tv in short order.
View Quote

Thanks for the info...and oddly we decided to forego the tv over the fireplace. Heck, we almost blocked it off...but I like the FP. We're going a different route.

In the interim, and 6000 sq/ft of knockdown texture later, finally getting this sprayed out.
Everything on this house has led to yet more tear out.
Hopefully I can get the rear slider door out this weekend, and get the new doors in.

Couple of progress pics...
Knocked down.

PVA primed and ceilings painted.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]
**Didn't read the entire thread**. Apologies if already covered.

Get an ozone generator, follow the warnings and instructions.  Knocks out dog smells in hours.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Original Kilz was just shellac with titanium dioxide in it to turn it white, thin it with Wood Alcohol (Methanol). I don't know of any water-based paint that forms a complete skin like shellac does, they are all porous and will let smells and stains seep through the paint layer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Check that popcorn ceiling for asbestos for your and your so's own health.  Encapsulate it and drywall over top rather than remove if it is asbestos.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Ozone generator has been reserved.

The popcorn ceiling in the 2 upstairs bedrooms we're done after the house was done...and had the perlite versus the "kitty litter" applied years ago.

Thankfully, the whole house is knockdown texture now.

The weather has not been cooperative so far this spring. Tomorrow, tearing out the rear sliding door and replacing.

The catastrophe of a pool/deck/yard has been a ball buster.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Like everything else in this house...neglected mess.
It's a pool....not interested in one.
After all the fuckin wood rot on this house...last thing I want to look at is water.
Tearing out more rot today while it's above 36 degrees outside. Time to replace the slider door on the back of the house.
In the meantime, walls/ceiling is painted out....and cabinets are going in.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Try Ozone treatment For a variety of foul odors that need to be neutralized that otherwise won't go away. Oxygen-3 (Ozone) is a very short lived chemical species that dissipates quickly - but when an atmosphere of it made by a generator surrounds something - it forces oxidation rendering the original chemical generally inert from an odor standpoint.

Its not too widely utilized in public hands but works well - It has effectively been used to remove dead body odors and cat-lady house events (where the owner dies and cats eat half the owner crap out the rest sort of events.)

Ozone is safe and often pleasant in low concentrations and harmful in high - so you will need to  lockout-tagout the home/rooms etc from entry - run a generator and then return after it purges.  Set it on a timer, etc.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#36]
The subject of cat piss has been beaten to death, I will help kick it as well. When I was in fire, water, and storm we dealt with cat piss the same way we dealt with mold remediation...microban. Plus it's always handy to have. Soak the area with the water/microban mix. Let air dry. Then, if required, seal with binz.

Otherwise, the project is coming along nicely.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Well...the entire pet smell...rotted wood...and 30+ years of garbage smell is all but gone.

Thanks for all the tips.
Pretty much did the following....
Replaced affected subflooring
Have had pans of vinegar throughout the house next to the heating vents. (Was a tip from a friend who manages properties/deals with the cat smell). After about a week, all you could smell was vinegar. I would change out every day I was there for a month. I was sceptical,  but it did help.
Sanded the floors, leveled, and screwed them all off.
Sprayed Zinsser B.I.N. to all ceilings and walls.
Knock down textured entire house.
Sprayed P.V.A primer to all ceilings/walls....then shot  2 coats ceiling white.
Rolled out finish wall paint.
Rolled out floors with 2 coats of Zinsser.

I'm running out of time...so to speak. I close on my current house the 29th...should be close.
I have an offshore fishing trip to the Keys next week, so I lose 7 days of work. I know...boo hoo right.
We set this up last year...and wasn't plan on buying another house. Timing sucked...but TBH...I'm ready for a break.

Flooring...damn I'm getting old. Feeling it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad you got the smell out of there.

a lot of work for sure, but looking good

Good luck on the fishing trip!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, it was an interesting trip to the Keys. Fishing was tough, as the winds were out of the NE at 15-20 knots. I have to tell ya, 24 hour drive sucks. Having lived in Tampa Bay for 27 years...and making the trip to NE Ohio and WV a few times a year...I'm pretty burned out on the drive. Stocked up on 20 pounds of Gulf pinks, Key Lime Pie's, and #40 yellow tail snapper.
It was one of my best friends, son's, 16th birthday...he did manage to get a short #60 Goilath Grouper.

I appreciated the break on the house, but would have preferred to keep momentum on it.

Anyhow, just about done with the vinyl plank.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy shit this house is unforgiving.
Finally making some progress.
Started feeling like shit May 6th...fuckin Rona. Did the responsible thing and stayed home... (not vaxed)..as if I had anything else to do. Had about three days of suck. Fuckin cough was more than aggrivating, still have a cough moment...but rarely now.
Worked out, as the roof was done that week.

Guess I've made some progress on it, having looked at the last few pics. Not looking forward to replacing windows...and dealing with the aluminum siding. It will be interesting removing the old ones, (they have the nail tabs) and trying to keep from beating the siding up.

Tired of moving dirt... 30 yards in the back. Could still use more. Pine trees will be going, and cutting the Locust back. Glad the fireplace brick is done...it will be nice to wrap that room up.

Did manage to get out on the Lake and do some fishing with the family.

Roof before

After

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top